• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Out of any medium 3D makes the most sense with video games, I don't know why people scoff at it. Haha look at those people who wanted to try something new. Are people going to laugh at anybody who buys a valve index when VR slows down enough to be forgotten?

I loved the 3D on 3ds, it was a damn shock and a shame when Pokémon x&y barely used it and used it very poorly.and that was really the beginning of the end. Mario and Luigi Dream Team, absolutely fantastic in 3D loved it really sold me on the feature.

PS3 wasn't made for 3D most games that supported it, did so very poorly but pc and PS4 forward there wasn't any reason to stop it except for lack of adoption. I'm glad VR seems to be sticking better with people even if it's slow to take off likely because of the price of entry.
Gamers are generally anti-progressive and generally don't like change until it's forced on them to the point where they realize what they were missing. If we recall every major advancement in gaming in the past, gamers never really asked for them. This includes 3D graphics, analog sticks, multiplayer.

That being said, 3D was a precursor to VR that wouldn't be able to compete against it, so there was little chance it could make an impact. There's nothing left to replace VR though. That was the endgame.

Now light-field TVs? Those could take off, but that entirely depends on whether there's any real value in TVs by the time they become viable. You can have a virtual light-field TV right now using VR/AR at no extra cost. So society will have to choose whether glasses-free true stereoscopic 3D is worth owning over just using VR/AR.

Last edited:

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
You hope VR fails? How anyone can actually say this defies logic. Everything right now suggests you will be wrong considering it's consistently growing and the state of games are getting better and bigger.

I can understand being skeptical of VR and needing to grow more, but no gamer worth their salt should want VR to die.

Literally a weird mindset to have, Heaven forbid some of us want new ways to play games instead of being sold £10000 8K tv's to play the next COD/FIFA. Imagine being someone that actively hates the way someone enjoys playing a videogame.

But yeah let's embrace next gen with more Gaas, MT, Season pass BR infused games behind a subscription to play on our TV's.

We all know the future for 3D is merged with VR/AR. as evident by your post ^^^^^

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
i wonder if we'll see a similar thread about VR in a few years, or if it's here to stay.

Sega 3D Classics and Super Mario 3D Land absolutely make the feature worth it on 3DS.

I wonder if we'll see a similar thread about VR in 5-10 years, or whether more devs and gamers will take it seriously soon...
You won't be. VR has proven itself more than enough at this point and will have killer apps within that timeframe. Right now it's really a perception issue because most people are unaware of the state of VR. Those that are aware are in the majority loving it despite it being gen 1 still.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Glasses are too much work.

You have to put a VR headset on now instead!

Seriously though, VR improved upon and replaced it.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
3D for movies was pretty hit and miss, especially because of a lot of bad 3D conversions, rather than natively shot 3D, but 3D in games was great. Motorstorm Apocalypse was one of my favorite 3D experiences. Super Stardust HD/Ultra and Trine 2 (this was only 3D on PS4, I believe) also looked pretty amazing.

I still play my 3DS in 3D mode. I even love how it has worked with the Sega 3D classics. Power Drift in 3D makes for a great depth effect.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017

The creator of the bigscreen app in VR talks about 3D and 3D movies, Worth a listen. timestamped

VR is so exciting when you consider what we have already in the short time the tech has been around!

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I still use my 3DS in 3D mode for the games that support it (since like 90% of games post-2016/17 drop using it entirely). Granted, the New 3DS tracking made it useable whereas it was some hot garbage when the 3DS first came out since it required you to sit perfectly still and at the perfect angle to enjoy your game in 3D.

Everything else was goofy as fuck tho. And all forms of 3D make my head spin after like 20 minutes.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kept my 3DS in 3D mode at all times. Recently did a MCU mini-binge ahead of Endgame with my GF all in 3D on my Panasonic VT60 plasma which does 3D really well. Also just screened Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse in 3D at my place with some friends and they were glad they saw it in 3D.

Saw Spider-Man: Far From Home in 3D in the theater last weekend.

Also, the 3D implemented into Motorstorm Apocalypse and Uncharted 3 was amazing.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Why? The shit was garbage.

The original usage wasn't useful but the tech wasn't garbage. It lead to the discovery of strobed backlights.

This tech meant gaming beyond 90hz added significant improvements to gameplay if you can maintain performance as high as 90 FPS and beyond.

I like to think the motion control craze helped set the stage for its use in VR. It wasn't a total dead end like 3d.

See my above point. It wasn't a dead end.

I remember a lot of people saying "3D is here to stay, it's different this time!". Which is also what people are saying about VR right now, although VR technology is at least far ahead enough for there to be good games developed exclusively for it and is not necessarily just a gimmick like 3D.

3D tech is still being used. It simply isn't being used for its original purpose.

A few games did it alright - Uncharted 3, Halo CEA, Oot 3d. It wasn't a revelation or anything, but it was cool to look at.

TV tech has been a bit of a letdown the past decade. 3d, 4k, HDR have all been nice but I haven't really had that 'holy shit' moment since the jump from SD to HD. That initial shift in clarity was crazy.

Running 3D while in 2D mode is a holy shit moment, especially if you never gamed on a CRT and never knew what was initially lost when LCDs dominated in sales.

But the display needs to be using a strobed backlight, not all 3D tvs used that.

Last edited:

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty nice on the 3DS, and in fact the best game on the 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, was greatly improved by it, so...

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
The worst was that most options for at home required those expensive active shutter 3D glasses.

That's barely an improvement over the 3D glasses you could get for the Sega Master System 25 years earlier, and those didn't require a special TV.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one of those 3D Playstation TVs, and then returned it a couple days later since it wasn't very good.

I think 3D could work, just the way it was being pushed was a bit obnoxious, and it felt like the tech wasn't quite there yet. I really enjoy 3D on the 3DS, and I'd like to play more games that way, but it's not really an option anymore.

Selbstlos

Nov 12, 2017
I was bummed when they stopped producing 3D TVs ;( How cool it would have been with a 77 inch model... I love the depth the movies gain. Any space scene is awesome, when you see a little spaceship and a planet in the background etc.

When I played Killzone in 3D, it was like I could pinpoint any distance and really feel the layout of a map, as strange as it sounds.

I am wondering which new tech Cameron brings with Avatar, if there are still plans for it.

Same, I played a lot of Killzone in 3D. Once my mind mentally blocked out some of the ghosting, it was my preferred way to play.

I'm sure James Cameron has something up his sleeve. The dude should never be underestimated at this point.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
The new 3D is VR, only this time it has a chance of sticking around and playing a larger role IMO.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I assumed 3DS's 3D wouldn't even work for me when I bought it because I could never see those Magic Eye things (only 90s kids will remember...) or even the old blue/red paper "glasses" (only 80s kids will remember...) Not only was I wrong, but the results really astounded me. I play with it on whenever I can manage to keep the sweet spot. You fuckers talking about how much better it is are really selling me on a n3DS 😭❤

It was an unpleasant surprise to come back after a years-long hiatus and discover that so many games had dropped 3D. When I read Persona Q2 wasn't in the OT, for a split second my stomach deadass sank with disappointment. Which is absurd; I've played more first-person dungeon crawlers on non-3D systems at this point. But on 3DS, 3D had become that important to me without my awareness.

...Never bothered with any other kind of 3D because I'm not getting contacts and the only time I'm willing to wear glasses over my glasses is for protection. (Passive 3D? The 3DS is the only thing I've ever seen with it.)

Does VR let you put in your prescription, yet?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
3D sucked and VR sucks too. Both are headache inducing garbage that make games play worse and look worse. If people like them that's fine but ideally they both remain niche.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
3D sucked and VR sucks too. Both are headache inducing garbage that make games play worse and look worse. If people like them that's fine but ideally they both remain niche.
Considering most VR ports tend to be preferred over their standard versions, it's clear that most people would consider such examples to play better in VR, not worse. That only increases over time as well, and cannot decrease. VR may induce headaches today, but that will be fixed with varifocal (or other accomadation supporting techniques) displays that will be present in various 2nd gen headsets. At the same time, foveated rendering will ensure VR reaches parity, and not long after surpass the fidelity you from non-VR games. In other words, 2nd gen VR headsets will likely solve the issues you bring up.

So, if VR is bad because it makes games look worse, what happens when non-VR rendering techniques make games look worse compared to VR? What will you do then if it's such an important point for you? The nature of foveated rendering ensures that photorealism will always be easier to render in VR.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering most VR ports tend to be preferred over their standard versions, it's clear that most people would consider such examples to play better in VR, not worse. That only increases over time as well, and cannot decrease. VR may induce headaches today, but that will be fixed with varifocal (or other accomadation supporting techniques) displays that will be present in various 2nd gen headsets. At the same time, foveated rendering will ensure VR reaches parity, and not long after surpass the fidelity you from non-VR games. In other words, 2nd gen VR headsets will likely solve the issues you bring up.

So, if VR is bad because it makes games look worse, what happens when non-VR rendering techniques make games look worse compared to VR? What will you do then if it's such an important point for you? The nature of foveated rendering ensures that photorealism will always be easier to render in VR.

I'll consider VR viable for me when I don't need to wear a headset, when it doesn't give me a splitting headache, when I can see the outside world whenever I want without removing any equipment, etc. until then render however you want but I don't think it looks better or plays better. If others like it how it is that's fine, not gonna tell anyone what to like, but I just hope it remains a niche that's all. I like games that are comfortable and enjoyable to play. For me, VR and 3D are neither.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'll consider VR viable for me when I don't need to wear a headset, when it doesn't give me a splitting headache, when I can see the outside world whenever I want without removing any equipment, etc. until then render however you want but I don't think it looks better or plays better. If others like it how it is that's fine, not gonna tell anyone what to like, but I just hope it remains a niche that's all. I like games that are comfortable and enjoyable to play. For me, VR and 3D are neither.
So basically like I said, 2nd gen then. I mean, you'll have a headset, yes. But otherwise you won't have headaches and you'll be able to see the outside world because headsets will start to have powerful mixed reality capabilities.

You'll barely notice a headset on once we're down to a slim visor. That might not come until gen 3 however. When this happens, VR can actually make games more comfortable to play because you'd be getting less eye strain than using a TV / monitor (as your focus will be shifting more) and you'd also be able to immerse yourself in relaxing environments.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So basically like I said, 2nd gen then. I mean, you'll have a headset, yes. But otherwise you won't have headaches and you'll be able to see the outside world because headsets will start to have powerful mixed reality capabilities.

You'll barely notice a headset on once we're down to a slim visor. That might not come until gen 3 however. When this happens, VR can actually make games more comfortable to play because you'd be getting less eye strain than using a TV / monitor (as your focus will be shifting more) and you'd also be able to immerse yourself in relaxing environments.

Hope so.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
If a game supports 3D I would keep it at 80-100% like, all the time unless it killed the framerate like Pokemon. I honestly think it's a shame 3D Land will forever be the only Mario game where you can properly judge depth

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
The N3DSXL was the best implementation of 3D in a console to date. PC Monitors with Nvidia 3D Vision I heard was also pretty great (If Configured properly).

VR is definitely going to be bringing back 3D though due to the nature of VR, I can't wait to see how proper 3D looks like on something that naturally helps with doing it.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
I liked playing some games in 3D with my Samsung 3D TV bought in 2012, though I have to accept that I've stopped playing or watching movies in 3D for a long time ago without picking up in interested. Especially because the content is non-existence nowadays.

Now, I remember watching Avengers End Game on IMAX 3D for the first time in a long ass time, I was really impressed by how the 3D effect has improved since then.

I would rather bet on Virtual Reality technology than playing with 3D glasses at this point though.

Edit: I still play with the 3D turned ON using the 3Ds

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I bought that Sony 3D tv and was so hyped thinking how cool it would be. The second 3D motion started I got motion sick af. It was a sad moment and that motion sickness carried to 3D movies as well. Bummerino supremo

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It was good in certain scenarios. Mainly on PC where you actually had the power to be able to run games at a decent resolution and at a good framerate. 3D on the 3DS was alright on the newer devices, but the older devices it was an utter mess due to the fact you had to spit in the perfect spot else you start seeing double.

Regardless the main reason it was given up is because VR is here now which can utilise the idea of two individual images for each eye in a more immersive manner.

Not going to lie though, I'm kind of sad they got rid of the 3D vision stuff in the nvidia GPU drivers instead of porting it to VR. I figure running those games in 3d in a kind of "cinema" experience could have still been good.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Really irked me that so many films had it forced in when me and people I went with didn't want 3D but there was like only two 2D showings at awkward times. Rather than be optional it was pretty much forced. Not sad to see it fade away at all.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
n3DS w/ stable 3D is awesome.

I watch 3D Blu-rays on my PSVR from time to time.

Never had a 3DTV though, but I don't view it as a terrible period of time for media/gaming trends. I still occasionally enjoy 3D movies in theaters when it makes sense or when it's specifically made for the format.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Tried that split-screen 3D PlayStation TV at a convention and it was a neat novelty for 5 seconds. Also had fun impressing my parents and grandma with the 3DS gimmick when I first got it. Since then? Have not given a shit and have not used it.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Seriously, LOL WTF was that shit? I'm just laying here bout to go to bed when I remembered the gaming industry damn near lost their head at the end of last gen over 3D bullshit.

3DS. 3D TVs. 3D PS3 games. Bundled 3D TVs and Playstations. Why? The shit was garbage. How many of you actually kept your 3DS in 3D mode? How many actually got a 3D TV? How many actually used 3D? LOL.

Remember this dumb shit?

41RvsbgSJyL.jpg

Alright, I'm a bit tipsy. Still I can't stop laughing at the dumb 3D craze. At least it wasn't as bad as the motion craze following the Wii. Waggle, waggle Kinect. Ahahaha. Lying ass Star Wars Kinect.

What was learned with 3D TV's will continue to survive and be surpassed by VR and AR. I always thought there was a lot of potential with gaming in 3D, because it truly does increase immersion, but the performance requirements were too much for the hardware back then. 3D as it is done on 3D TV's/Movie Theaters and most current VR headsets/AR glasses, cause the Vergence-Accommodation conflict. This basically means that your eyes can interpret that something is close, at middle distance or far away, but you are unable to focus on different distances because the headset itself is at a fixed focus distance. On a 3D video you are stuck with the focus the video was recorded at, nothing happens if you try to focus on the out of focus part of the video. Because of this some people feel eyestrain fast and basically everyone does as well after a few hours. This will be solved once we get VR headsets/AR glasses that allow you to focus on different planes of distance. Once that happens you will feel less eyestrain that even playing on a traditional 2D TV for hours.

Last edited:

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I remember I bought that Sony PlayStation TV back in 2012 while I was in military tech school in North Carolina, it served pretty good as a cheap dorm room TV. I was even able to sell it a few years later for a good price.
As for the 3D fad though, it was alright.
I didn't like how most 3D glasses dimmed the screen a bit, I like seeing bright colors and not being restricted from the glasses.
Overall, I think VR is a better use of 3D.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.
Disagree.
I play with my 3DS exclusively in 3D mode, it's the best feature EVER of this console. Without glasses, 3D is simply AMAZING.
2DS is a piece of shit.
3D TV are ok, just not outstanding.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
3D is phenomenal when done well.

The "Super Stable 3D" on the n3DS meant it worked as intended, and makes so many games look unbelievably great.

The low key best part of VR is it's stereoscopic 3D. You don't realise how much you miss depth perception in games until you experience it again. Driving games become so much easier as you naturally judge approaching turns.

3DTVs were god awful though. Shit technology, with their flaws front and center. Turning on 3D on the n3DS will never not be magical. Yet all my experiences with 3DTVs ranged from disappointing to terrible.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
The 3D effect on the 3DS and New 3DS is freaking awesome and I wish more handheld devices implemented it. A handful of phones had it in 2011/2012 but none of them took off. I saw one phone from 2018 had the tech but it was a stupid expensive rigidized phone.

Real shame, wish more flagship phones did the 3D screen thing, but I know Iwata said and finger marks ruined the effect so maybe that's why.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked 3D in concept, I liked motion controls in concept, and I like VR/AR in concept.

Execution and compatibility have been lacking, but it's getting better all the time.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved 3D on the 3DS. 3D in movie theaters has been hit or miss, only a few movies really looked extra good because of the 3D. 3D TV's always looked terrible to me. VR has potential, but I still feel like the big headset setup will keep it from ever going mainstream.