• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, LOL WTF was that shit? I'm just laying here bout to go to bed when I remembered the gaming industry damn near lost their head at the end of last gen over 3D bullshit.

3DS. 3D TVs. 3D PS3 games. Bundled 3D TVs and Playstations. Why? The shit was garbage. How many of you actually kept your 3DS in 3D mode? How many actually got a 3D TV? How many actually used 3D? LOL.

Remember this dumb shit?

41RvsbgSJyL.jpg

Alright, I'm a bit tipsy. Still I can't stop laughing at the dumb 3D craze. At least it wasn't as bad as the motion craze following the Wii. Waggle, waggle Kinect. Ahahaha. Lying ass Star Wars Kinect.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I still play my 3DS in 3D and enjoy 3D movies in theaters. Never played 3D Playstation games though.

Apr 19, 2018
Some theatrical movies looked downright INCREDIBLE in 3D; Coraline, the remastered Nightmare Before Christmas, Avatar, How To Train Your Dragon, Hugo, and Alita come readily to mind.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I was THIS CLOSE to buying that TV until I saw my old ass Vizio from 2009 dwarfed it.

Also, 3DBluRay just straight up snapped away.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
My old monitor came with some nvidia 3d glasses, and while it definitely wasn't worth going out of your way for, it was pretty cool to try in some games. The arkham games in particular worked phenomenally with it, max payne 3 with all the bullet effects coming out, fun to mess around with, but pretty archaic when you can just stick your head in a vr headset to get stereo 3D these days.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
My 3DS was/is in 3D mode 100% of the time, and I was disappointed in how many late games didn't utilize it at all. I really thought it added a lot to the presentation, and after all that time it was honestly jarring adjusting to the Switch being so flat, lol.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was a way to try to get people to buy new TVs. Obviously it wasn't successful so 4K and HDR became the main targets to convince people to upgrade.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I knew 3D was gonna fail in the gaming industry.

My 3DS - ever since I've gotten it back in 2015, only used 3D once and never again - and the reason why I used it is because I wanted to see how it was and it was horrible.

Hopefully I will be right with VR as well.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
3d movies is now a way better experience, i can't go back to 2d movies, now i can finally enjoy the 3d in cenimas without getting tired at all thanks to the new Laser Technology, as for video games, that isn't the case unfortunately, but i really enjoyed the 3d on 3ds for some games.

Nov 30, 2017
I still have my LG 3D TV. Played Uncharted 3 in 3D. Alsonwatched a few movies but 3D kind of sucks.

VR absolutely blows it away.

The coolest thing about the TV was the splitscreen mode, which was fullscreen for each player. One player would have a set of glasses with the "left" lenses and another with a set of "right" lenses. Each player would see a fullscreen of only their game. The TV displayed both at the same time.

micerush

Nov 21, 2018
I love using 3D on 3DS. It genuinely improves the visuals in a lot of games (the Professor Layton games being the most impressive ones imo) and makes for awesome gameplay in others like 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds.

I also love when movies do inventive things with it like Goodbye to Language.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am sure the industry will try again by 2035. Based on history, every 15-20 years they try to force it. And they will need to push something after 8K, and people have sat on "old" TVs for 3 or 4 years

THE FUTURE

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
The 3D was actually really well done in A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D Land, and I loved how Shovel Knight used it to give the pixel art some added depth, it really did look nice in motion...The novelty wore off pretty quickly besides that though.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
? But motion craze has been refined and a standard now. Dual Shock 4, PS Move, Oculus Touch, Valve Index, Nintendo Switch Joycon etc all have motion mechanism.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
3D never worked for me, all I saw was the occasional ghosting and MAYBE things that were really close. My depth perception IRL is really bad too, though (Because of my lazy eye).

Glad we moved past it, honestly.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
It was t so bad on the 3ds. But I had a 3d tv that used those active shutter glasses. What a piece of shit that feature was.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I love using 3D on 3DS. It genuinely improves the visuals in a lot of games (the Professor Layton games being the most impressive ones imo) and makes for awesome gameplay in others like 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds.

I found it a neat distraction that drained battery life quick. The 3D got boring after the "cool, new" factor wore off. I'll just play Zelda like a normal human now.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The great thing about the 3DS is you could adjust the effect on the fly. The problem I had though was I could only keep the sweet spot on the OG model. I used it the majority of the time when I was playing on that model (some games had ghosting in dark locations so I turned it on and off depending on that). But then with the 3DS XL, I couldn't keep the sweet spot. I even returned it for another one because people on a forum told me I probably got a defective one, but it was the same thing. Even when I got the regular New 3DS, despite the new stability tech, it wasn't as easy for me to just lock onto the sweet spot the way I could on the OG model. Great concept but different screens, different screen sizes and different eyes end up giving people vastly different experiences.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I remember I wanted a 3D TV so badly and then I got one and I don't even use the 3D, I tried it like once with COD on PS3 and just basically wasn't impressed

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Yea the 3D craze had me rolling my eyes as well.

Btw: Is 3D films still prevalent in movie theaters today? Haven't been to theaters in a while

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Wasn't so much a craze, rather a manufacturered fad by the TV industry to try and sell you a new TV.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
3DS is great (well N3DS) because no glasses. Nothing compares to Galaxy Force II on 3DS.

If they need glasses, nope, I'm out.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
damn man i forgot about all those commercials with people wearing the 3D glasses. literally no one wanted to do that.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I had my 3DS in 3D mode for all of a few minutes when I first got it, got a headache from that an never again.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like pick up one of those Nvidia glasses kits on the cheap some day. I think one of the old CoDs supported it.