• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
As mentioned 3D vision for the few titles that supported it properly which was Bartman Arkham Asylum and a couple others was incredible but compatibility left a lot to be desired. 3D TV on the other hand never worked as well, ghosting was significantely worse with the cheap display I had. I should use my PSVR more often but I still find it too much of a hassle most of the time, I hope we can get back to the utility of just putting on a pair of glasses sooner rather than later.

Also 3DS 100% 3D all the time!

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
young-couple-watching-tv-in-3d-700870472-5b9fb973c9e77c0057359551.jpg
The dude's face is killing me

Nov 1, 2017
I bought that piece of shit PlayStation 3D TV. I remember all the publications said it had no motion blur, but that was total BS. Had technical issues and heavy ghosting out of the box and no one at Sony or PlayStation support believed me that the product existed. I got a little bit of enjoyment out of playing Mario 64 in 3D though.

Oct 25, 2017
3D 48fps Hobbit was a good ass 3 years, no regrets. Current Dolby Atmos HDR 3D stuff like Alita is also really good.

In the home and for console/handheld gaming it made less sense, especially since the PS3 couldn't hack it. Games like Tag 2 had no business supporting it.

Now on PC? It did and still does have an audience for gaming and movie watching, but now a very tiny one (now exclusively fan/modder driven). I bought a 3d vision sager laptop myself - it couldn't hack it either, but who could say no to basically the only way to get a 120hz screen in a laptop in 2011?

That 3d craze also gave birth to the lightboost hack. Strobbing/scanning tech is now a standardized feature in pretty much every noteworthy high refresh rate gaming monitor since around 2013. Plenty of TV's have the it as a feature as well.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
1. How many of you actually kept your 3DS in 3D mode?

2. How many actually got a 3D TV?

3. How many actually used 3D? LOL.

1. Not me, only used it once and never again.

2. I got my first HDTV back in 2011, 2nd one in 2016 and my current one in 2018. Didnt bother buying anything that had 3D or not even sure if my TVs even have 3D - didnt bother to check

3. Once on my 3DS and it was horrible. Also watched Star Wars Episode VIII TLJ via 3D at the theater during a premiere showing...but I got tickets for free from my job so lol.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
i just checked my local Regal and no screens tomorrow have showings in 3D
It's going to be interesting when avatar 2 comes out. I hear Cameron is going to go all out with 3D. Maybe we will see the return of 3D again..o boy....

PS: btw was it avatar 2009 that brought 3D back into the mainstream?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the only good thing about the 3DS's 3D was that eventually they removed it and we got the 2DS line

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
3D on my Panasonic plasma TV was pretty fucking cool. Not much supported it, but Pinball Arcade on PS3 did, and Polybius on PS4 too!

Child of Eden was dope with it too.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
The Sega classics we got on 3DS looked amazing on it. Games like Outrun or Streets of Rage 2 was perfection.

Oct 26, 2017
Modern Sonic stages in Sonic Generations with 3D on was really cool...

Just saying... I kinda liked it but I undestand why it didnt have mainstream appeal

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3D fast tracked higher refresh monitors, so there was a lasting benefit at least.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
IDC, how goofy 3D glasses were and stuff, having depth perception in games made them a shit ton more immersive to me. At least 3D lives on through the VR landscape but sadly i can't experience it since VR makes me dizzy.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Tweaked and modded PC games were actually really really awesome in 3D. Movies and consoles were too concerned with being comfortable for the masses and had their 3D effects dialed so subtle/weak that they were barely noticeable and not worth wearing the glasses or the drop in resolution/lightoutput. Most PC games (either by default or Helix mods) allowed full control of the depth and convergence sliders which could be dialed to create literal dioramas that legitimately looked like real life toys running around a cube within your TV's bezels. Virtually no one ever saw what "3DTV" was actually capable of, it was definitely not the running joke people like to make it out to be. I'm actually curious if PC games on 3D Projectors (120-150"+) could be to dialed to effectively look like VR, I never got to see them.

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I bought an Avegant Glyph to watch 3d movies on the go with my GPD win. I must be one of the few folks that still have a working PS 3d TV in the op. They seem to have poor power supplies and just died. I love 3d and have an n3DS and XL.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually thought PS3 3D was great, but few games utilized it well and in most it just tanked the FPS (I remember Redboxing Black Ops 1 for the 3D and it was a disaster). Super Stardust HD in 3D is fucking awesome though. I wish more people could have seen it.

The 3DS 3D was also kinda nice. There were a couple games from early in its life where it really did make a huge difference (OoT 3D and 3D Land). But then as time went on it seemed to matter less.

Overall it's a gimmick but it's a nice one to have. I think the issue is that it only really matters if the game is designed with it in mind, and that's not going to happen when it limits the audience that can enjoy the game. And if a game isn't designed with it in mind it often leads to performance being worse for a nonsignificant benefit.

For movies I thought it was mostly good, especially if it was filmed with 3D in mind. Avatar, TRON, and Hugo are all awesome 3D movies (and Journey to the Center of the Earth is.....uh, not that great of a movie but has some really cool 3D effects). Even if a movie isn't in 3D I don't mind it but it eventually started seeming like a waste of money when there wasn't really a tangible benefit.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Sega 3D Classics are amazing. M2 never stopped converting games to kickass 3D and even Nintendo returned to 3D with Luigi's Mansion and Samus Returns before they closed up shop. Was 3D the universally loved gimmick that Nintendo hoped for? Nope, but we still got some really cool experiences.

Also, I rarely see 3D movies, but occasionally they're still worth watching. Most animated films look amazing in 3D (spiderverse!!).

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I worked a gig for ESPN around that time and got to check out some of their 3D sports. That was pretty rad. Everything else not so much.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3DS was legit especially once the New model with face tracking was out. the issues with the 3D were really issues with the hardware power and the screen's resolution. actually sad we'll likely never get face tracking 3D on an HD handheld. imagine the Link's Awakening remake with actual diorama depth or a 3D World port that actually has 3D like its predecessor did.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Classic BossAttack hot take

I really liked the 3D on my 3DS, it was much better with eye tracking on the N3DS and enjoyed watching/playing 3D content when I was at someone's house who had a 3D TV. Not enough to buy one myself, but I had nothing against it.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I think I have one of the last 3D TVs. It's actually really nice 3D, but I've only used it for demos. It wasn't a feature I bought the TV for, the LG C6 just happened to support it.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
My last two TVs have been 3D. I can't speak to gaming but I've had a fantastic experience with 3D movies at home. I'll be hanging onto my 3D tv sets and Blu-ray discs as long as possible. As with all things some 3D movies are better than other 3D movies, and some I consider the definitive version, like Mad Max Fury Road 3D.

Oct 27, 2017
The Avatar game was amazing (well, the look of it at least as the actual gameplay was pretty generic I guess) in 3D on PC (pretty sure it was considered reference material as far as 3D in games goes). It really felt like playing on a diorama with action figures. Still have a working PS3DTV to this day.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I confess to seeing Avatar in theatres... in 2D. That basically sums up my stance on the 3D craze.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was great, wish it had caught in a bit more. Was hoping glass free 3D would be standard by now

But consumer vr is a thing so hard to care at this point

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I got that TV on clearance for $169 at Best Buy. It was cool at first in games like Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 but ultimately wore off.

Was nowhere near as good as VR.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
3DTVs were probably a mistake. But I still love the 3DS. Glasses-free 3D is awesome and I leave the 3D cranked up to the max every time I play.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't think I've ever seen a consumer tech that was just completely shit upon by people who didn't like it, rather than just... I dunno... not using it.

4K TVs actually finally made 1080p 3D work really well with passive glasses (no charging or flickering) but consumers couldn't see 3D on a product without ranting about it.

For the record it gave me a headache and I wasn't a huge fan but I was still curious what the possibilities were for the future.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
3DS is the real deal man. Used 3D at least 95% of the time. Not sure why you had to assert you "played Zelda like a normal human being" lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I liked 3D which I'm pretty sure, going by the internet's disdain for it at the time, makes me a terrible person. AC3 and Gears 3 are two I remember really enjoying and I really liked 3D on the 3DS. It bums me out that the only way I can play new 3D games on console now is pretty much VR and I'm not particularly interested in dropping hundreds of dollars on that just yet.

Last edited:

AmericanKirby

Aug 31, 2018
Inside your house
Era: "3D sucks because it hurts my eyes and sometimes you have to wear stupid glasses."
Also Era: "Strapping a $300 pair of TVs to my face is awesome and will revolutionize gaming!"

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I had two PS 3D TVs. the effect was nice in Motorstorm and Mortal Kombat. 3D movies were a cool bonus too.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I still have that Playstation 3dtv and while it has been put away for awhile, I did use it a daily for years. It was a great option for a desktop tv that could do 3d when I didn't have the space for a full size screen.

I actually really enjoyed the 3d in 3ds games and I was annoyed that Nintendo stopped supporting it in a system that had that in the actual name. It's not far off from the Switch lite in a sense but that's a different story altogether.

I'm also one of those people that will always choose to see a movie in 3d and I still buy movies on bluray in 3d. I enjoy watching movies and playing games in 4k, but at the same time 3d can add to an experience more than a resolution bump can. I'm looking forward to 3d coming back with better technology so it gets another chance outside of the movie theatre.

minato

Oct 27, 2017
I played Sleeping Dogs in 3d on the PC and it was kinda good I miss it actually. I thought the 3d on the 3ds was good on the revision. I never worked right on the original.

Oct 2, 2018
I loved my 3D tv. I still have it - the new tv is bigger but doesn't have 3D and i miss my passive 3D experience.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i liked the 3d on 3ds.
i did not like 3d tvs though. felt like it added nothing to the experience, on top of being distracting and disorienting

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The 3D on the 3DS was pretty cool, though.

I was pretty amazed playing SSF4 and Pilotwings on max 3D back on launch day for the 3DS, especially without 3D glasses.

3D Land was really cool, too.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I still use the 3D on my 3DS today. It was/is great. It helped when the tech was built right into the system and nearly every game took advantage to varying degrees. Not needing glasses was ideal. I still feel that's the direction that needs to be taken and wish theaters and film studios could figure it out. I feel 3D has largely stagnated because there hasn't been an attempt to remove the glasses barrier.