• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I ever turned the 3D effect off on my 3DSs. It's especially great for platformers, since I often have trouble distinguishing between what's supposed to be foreground and what's supposed to be background on regular displays.

Jul 3, 2019
n3DS 3D was the pinnacle. No glasses and it tracked your head to minimize ghosting and adjust viewing angles. I'll forever be bummed that it didn't fully catch on but at least it still makes going back to the n3DS worthwhile.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, LOL WTF was that shit? I'm just laying here bout to go to bed when I remembered the gaming industry damn near lost their head at the end of last gen over 3D bullshit.

3DS. 3D TVs. 3D PS3 games. Bundled 3D TVs and Playstations. Why? The shit was garbage. How many of you actually kept your 3DS in 3D mode? How many actually got a 3D TV? How many actually used 3D? LOL.

Remember this dumb shit?

41RvsbgSJyL.jpg

Alright, I'm a bit tipsy. Still I can't stop laughing at the dumb 3D craze. At least it wasn't as bad as the motion craze following the Wii. Waggle, waggle Kinect. Ahahaha. Lying ass Star Wars Kinect.
"Avatar had no cultural impact."

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Before getting rid of my old 1080p 3DTV and upgrading to a 4K TV, I played through Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in 3D.

It was actually pretty sweet.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I loved 3D. Depth is great for immersion. Oh well, got VR now and that's even better.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
TBH the Panasonic 3DTV I have at my mom's place is still awesome. Watching Life of Pi on that shit was an incredible experience.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm one of the lucky few who got a N3DS. The 3D mode in several games was and still is incredible. Wouldn't want to play any other way. Kiss it.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Love the 3ds 3d, always looked forward to playing games with it, both my husband and I are fans ❤️

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I still buy all the movies I buy in 3D.

As far as game are concerned, Shadow of the Colossus, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3, The Puppeteer and Child of Eden all were pretty interesting experiences.

It's a shame that it sort of went out of vogue. Unlike something like VR, aside having a TV that supported it (which at the time of me buying a TV back in the day, was only like a $70 difference) there isn't much of an investment on the customer side.

I WILL NOTE, however, that I used Passive 3D, and not those funky electric glasses.

If you want some 3D Blu-Ray recommendations, or game impressions in 3D, let me know.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
3D wasn't garbage on a 4k OLED with passive glasses. It was even better than at the cinema.

But sadly LG discontinued that :(

It was the awful flickering active 3D glasses solution that killed 3D TV, quite why so many manufacturers pursued that solution rather than focusing on passive 3D is beyond me. Between the flickering, dark image and crosstalk, active 3D glasses were a headache inducing nightmare.

Oct 25, 2017
Quite a few PSVR games are playable in 3D on my 3DTV as side effect of them being coded for rendering 2 views.

I like it. But I have a somewhat rare 4K TV capable of providing full 1080p Passive 3D - which is just so much more comfortable and convenient than active shutter tech.

I also enjoyed playing Motorstom Apocolypse, WipEoutHD and Shadow of the Colossus in 3D on PS3...

At least it wasn't as bad as the motion craze following the Wii. Waggle, waggle Kinect. Ahahaha. Lying ass Star Wars Kinect.
I'm also still enjoying my PS3 Move controllers on PSVR games like Superhot and Beat Saber.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Seriously, LOL WTF was that shit? I'm just laying here bout to go to bed when I remembered the gaming industry damn near lost their head at the end of last gen over 3D bullshit.

3DS. 3D TVs. 3D PS3 games. Bundled 3D TVs and Playstations. Why? The shit was garbage. How many of you actually kept your 3DS in 3D mode? How many actually got a 3D TV? How many actually used 3D? LOL.

Remember this dumb shit?

41RvsbgSJyL.jpg

Alright, I'm a bit tipsy. Still I can't stop laughing at the dumb 3D craze. At least it wasn't as bad as the motion craze following the Wii. Waggle, waggle Kinect. Ahahaha. Lying ass Star Wars Kinect.
I have that monitor. I use it as the bedroom TV. When I replace the living room TV, and rotate out, it'll go in my daughter's room, lol. It's a decent little monitor, it's just not matte, it's gloss to every light nearby reflects off the screen.

Jan 13, 2018
I kept my Nintendo 3DS at about 25% and it was perfect. Nothing too deep to make me work my DOF focus, but enough for a visible je ne sais quoi to the image.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Thought 3D was really dumb for a long time but I love it on my OLED TV. I also like it on 3DS.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I watched some 3D movies (and didn't like them), but still haven't played any 3D game in my life!

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of 3D, and I'm happy to see it continue in some form with VR. One big issue I have with 3D is that depth/separation is up to the developer. Often times there is just not enough depth, either because of the 3D rendering tech used, or just developer preference (same with movies). VR runs into this problem less, since the 'obvious' choice is to make it feel real.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Marvel Movies are amazing in 3D. Spiderman FFH was especially great with all the Mysterio stuff.

I remember buying a second copy of Crysis 2 for 360 only to replay it in 3D back then. It was pretty awesome tbh. Same goes for Uncharted 3.

Oh those Mysterio scenes must be amazing, Prometheus was the last 3D movie I watched in theatres that was really well done.

Those are the two games I wanted to play in 3D, I didn't have a 3DTV at the time though. I only got to play Arkham City though that version made on of my eyes go really red.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Many great 3D games on 3DS. It really made a difference.

If the 3DS had the New 3DS 3D functionality from the beginning it had been probably better received.

In movies... not so great, but 99% of "3D" movies use fake 3D, implemented after production and is often horrible. There are only few and mostly great exceptions that were actually filmed with 3D cameras.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The 3ds especially the new 3ds 3d was great. I mean I will take the image quality and the lack of hit to the battery and fidelity over it but it was a good run

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I love 3D. Play 3D on 3DS for any game that doesn't require constant looking back-and-forth between the top and bottom screen as switching between 3D and 2D views constantly is too much (e.g. Brain Age 3). Pretty much all other 3DS games with 3D are played in 3D on my system, though. Love 3D movies. On the TV scene, passive 4K 3D was really the answer, but it only came out right at the end of the 3D TV run. Passive to be able to use the same kind of glasses as in theatres (i.e. no charging, shuttering, or synching), and 4K as passive cuts the resolution in half. Half of 4K is 1080p, so it's the full HD in 3D. As said, that only really became an option after the 3D craze was on its way out. If they could've started there, I think 3D on TV would've done much better. Still try to buy 3D movies, even though that's almost fully down to importing now. Marvel movies in 3D are so good. <SoGood.gif>

Did finally play some console games in 3D once I got a 3D TV. Played AC3 a bit in 3D just to try it out, but the drop in IQ due to halving the resolution really undercut its usefulness. Wasn't a problem on 3DS, but shoehorned 3D on console games probably wasn't a good idea. Movies and 3DS games totally rock in 3D, though, yes.

Feb 16, 2018
3DS wasn't the right medium for 3D
3D on movies didn't add much
3D on consoles was awful

3D for PC games is still the best way to play singleplayer/cinematic video games right now, and it has been for the last 8-10 years
VR will probably be better in the future, but it's not there yet (especially for your existing library)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
3d is my favorite new technology because literally no one gives or ever gave a fuck about it, from the oldest and most out of touch people to the youngest and hippest

Oct 25, 2017
Back when Finland's biggest theater chain was separating 2D and 3D in its top 10 movies list, 2D showings were always more popular than 3D. The only exception was the premiere day of popular movies where people had to go to whatever showing still had free seats available.

For gaming, LG dropped the 3D feature from its OLED sets in 2017 and PS4 dropped it way back when it came out. It's dead.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Not to worry -- once we have a way to produce high quality, glasses-free 3D displays with wide viewing angles, it'll be back.

And they'll probably be popular.

Oct 30, 2017
Turned off the 3D on my 3DS within 30 seconds of owning it

Bought a 3D TV but only because I couldn't get a tv with the specs i wanted that didn't have 3D

Actively avoid 3D in cinemas because of those stupid ass glasses