• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR is 3D all over again. If you need to go out of your way to own and put on devices that are incompatible with the outside world, you're doing it wrong. That's why AR games on mobile work (people already use their mobiles anyway) and why 3D and VR can never truly explode. 3D was actually fun when it was around, my main issue with it is that most games used it horribly, and so did movies. Avatar was the GOAT in 3D of course, after that it was mostly disappointments. TRON: Legacy has to be the one that hurts the most: that one had every element to be INSANE in 3D, then they went and shoot the digital sequences in 2D and the 5 minutes or so in real world in 3D. I felt insulted.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 3 in 3D was awesome. Sure it wasn't perfect but it was great to experience.

I played it in it's entirety in 3D.
Same for God of War collection.

It made the experience so much better, but maybe that's just me, I love tech stuff like this.
I also never turned off 3D on my 3DS and I'm heavily into VR now.
*AND* I still remember when "3D" was in refference to polygonal games as opposed to sprite based, and thought that was pretty amazing as well.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I always had my 3DS on 3D mode because I seemed to naturally hit the right zone for it when commuting, and I never had any eye strain issues that would convince me to stop. It was nice Monster Hunter, especially if you're fighting underwater in 3U.

Never sought it out though.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus and uncharted 3 were awesome on 3d. After that I never bothered. Same with movies. Is just more hassle. While Vr is still alive and kicking for me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
VR is 3D all over again. If you need to go out of your way to own and put on devices that are incompatible with the outside world, you're doing it wrong. That's why AR games on mobile work (people already use their mobiles anyway) and why 3D and VR can never truly explode. 3D was actually fun when it was around, my main issue with it is that most games used it horribly, and so did movies. Avatar was the GOAT in 3D of course, after that it was mostly disappointments. TRON: Legacy has to be the one that hurts the most: that one had every element to be INSANE in 3D, then they went and shoot the digital sequences in 2D and the 5 minutes or so in real world in 3D. I felt insulted.

i'd say 3D did explode and kind of puttered out. whereas VR is still getting there in mainstream popularity

but i won't get into the "VR is/isn't a fad" weeds beyond that

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Alita on 4K Blu-ray actually comes with a 3D regular Blu-ray, as if anyone with a 4K HDR setup is going to watch that.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
3D on the 3DS—specifically the New 3DS is outstanding. I have it cranked all the way up all the time and I love every game that took advantage of it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'd say 3D did explode and kind of puttered out. whereas VR is still getting there

but i won't get into the "VR is/isn't a fad" weeds beyond that

That's true, but the thing with 3D is that it needed fairly expensive and specific TVs, few products supported it, and then you had to use clunky 3D glasses with 'em, which were uncomfortable for most people with glasses too and that you'd need to take off to look at your phone, to go to the other room, etc.. It was not compatible with the world surrounding you, it needed a relatively complicated setup and a lot of the major products ignored the feature altogether (most triple-A games, tons of big movies, and on TV there was barely any 3D content, plus it was at a lower resolution because it cramped two images into the same HD pixel count).

This is why VR is finding an issue too, besides the fact it's more expensive. There's some fun niche games, some even gained some surprising popularity (Beat Saber, VRChat, etc.), but it's still a clunky device you have to put on (and even set up and all), one that takes you outside of your world (so, again, you can't keep it on when checking your phone, going to the toilet, etc.), one that requires an expensive preparation, and at the end of the game, the biggest entertainment products out there do not support VR. Way I see it VR has even less mass appeal than 3D because it's a more troubling experience to begin with. At least 3D could be seen in theatres when the big movies were coming out, very few cinemas can afford to bother with VR and even fewer are the movies that woul somehow work with it.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
young-couple-watching-tv-in-3d-700870472-5b9fb973c9e77c0057359551.jpg

Nothing like charging your 3D glasses before watching something.

3D was and is a stupid gimmick that is underutilized in most forms. The 3DS had some great uses of it, but overall I have never been a fan.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
The fullscreen for 2 people was pretty awesome. The sad truth is that TV was absolutely garbage and if anyone was able to get more than 2 weeks of use outta that TV they were very lucky.

3d gaming was fun but not always something worth doing. To be honest I had the most fun with on my 3ds with Zelda oot. 3d movies are neat but they make everything so dark. I do actually have a 3d true 4k hdr TV but the 3d feature never gets used anymore but it's kinda cool that I can turn on 3d for content that was never meant to have 3d.

All and all I did enjoy 3d but with hardly any content for it there isn't much of a need for it.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I actually spent $200 on that Playstation TV. Im still using it as my PC monitor.
The volume can go really loud, but it sounds static-y if its too high. It occasionally turns off and back on. I used the 3D once.

Oct 25, 2017
I love 3D. Motorstorm apocalypse in 3d looked amazing although I was never a big fan of playing games in 3d. I have a ton of 3d films though. Still buy them. I specifically bought my tv because it was passive 3d and 4k. Looks better than in the cinema.

Selbstlos

Nov 12, 2017
Probably in the minority, but I love 3D stuff. Still have a couple 3D TVs around and try to pick up 3D blu-rays while they still exist.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't a fan of it originally, but it's pretty great on the New 3DS. That was the peak.

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah people got tired of that quick lol even later 3DS games just stopped supporting the 3D aspect

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
3DS 3D can be pretty neat in some cases, although it usually needs to be toned down a little. As for all the TV stuff, I never even bothered to unpack the goggles that came with my TV set. I haven't seen a 3D film since... Gravity? And I think that was the only one I've ever seen, apart form Avatar and maybe the first Avengers. Not impressed at all.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what you think about 3D, you can probably thank the fad for rekindling the creation of mainstream high refresh rate monitors.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sony really went all in on 3D and then completely backed out. Can't fault them that much though considering that 3D TVs died as a whole.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
It's weird, but as far as 3D movies go I have a lot of special editions and steelbooks of Disney and Pixars or other animation films that are absolutely amazing even in a PSVR. Turns out animation in a visor made and made for 3D is a motherfucker.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Probably in the minority, but I love 3D stuff. Still have a couple 3D TVs around and try to pick up 3D blu-rays while they still exist.
I was bummed when they stopped producing 3D TVs ;( How cool it would have been with a 77 inch model... I love the depth the movies gain. Any space scene is awesome, when you see a little spaceship and a planet in the background etc.

When I played Killzone in 3D, it was like I could pinpoint any distance and really feel the layout of a map, as strange as it sounds.

I am wondering which new tech Cameron brings with Avatar, if there are still plans for it.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
I like 3D. I use 3D on my new 3DS XL, I enjoy the 3D effect in VR.

The 3D effect on TV sets was pretty bad through.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played almost every 3D PS3 games and most of them were pretty awesome like Shadow of the Collosus for example. But with VR that whole thing died down. The Sony released TV was an awesome device. Also most of my friends played their 3DS in 3D Mode

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I even invested in a 3D projector, bought extra glasses. Result, darker screen, lower refreshrate too, can barely see the popcorn bowl, everybody in the sofa looks like fools. It's a crap tech.

The entertainment industry as a whole is just jumping from gimmick to gimmick. This is the reason I'm not into VR, they need to get rid of the jank and motion sickness issues and make great content that truly show me why I should care before I pay hundreds of dollars for that. And 4K, I invested in a new TV, and Xbox One X and a new expensive AVR to get that hyped unbroken 4K chain. But when I get it I notice that I can barely see any difference at all 3 meters away from a 65" TV, the biggest difference is the 2160p pop up info at the top of the screen when 4K content is shown... And now the industry is about to enter the 8K era... Sigh.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I actually got nvidias 3d glasses for PC and it was really neat playing Witcher 2 with it on, I remember amping up the depth perception in the forest around Flotsam, it was magical actually but couldn't play long with them on!

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I play stereoscopic mode in a little cheap vr headset for some games. It fakes my brain out enough

Dec 3, 2018
It was more annoying in film. Having to find out specifically when the none 3D cinema showings were in the day and having to go out of regular hours just to avoid that crap was terrible.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3D is always coming back like "the next big thing" and then gets forgotten in a year or two.

In 4-5 years a new tech is going to come around and be marketed as "real 3D". And all of you will be running out to watch 3D cinema and to buy new 3D TV's.. before realizing it was just as dumb this time around as the last time.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
A friend lent me a HTC-Vive. It's not great. I can see the technology has potential but they are a long way off being at a point where VR can break into the mainstream. When it's fully wireless, light-weight and has much higher resolution, maybe then it might be viable.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Out of any medium 3D makes the most sense with video games, I don't know why people scoff at it. Haha look at those people who wanted to try something new. Are people going to laugh at anybody who buys a valve index when VR slows down enough to be forgotten?

I loved the 3D on 3ds, it was a damn shock and a shame when Pokémon x&y barely used it and used it very poorly.and that was really the beginning of the end. Mario and Luigi Dream Team, absolutely fantastic in 3D loved it really sold me on the feature.

PS3 wasn't made for 3D most games that supported it, did so very poorly but pc and PS4 forward there wasn't any reason to stop it except for lack of adoption. I'm glad VR seems to be sticking better with people even if it's slow to take off likely because of the price of entry.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My previous TV had a 3D mode and I remember one of the Black Ops (I think the second one) had 3D functionality. It was ok but the whole 3D hype came and went so fast.

The idea of wearing glasses the whole time was jarring and the Samsung ones I had weren't even that comfortable.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My previous TV had a 3D mode and I remember one of the Black Ops (I think the second one) had 3D functionality. It was ok but the whole 3D hype came and went so fast.

The idea of wearing glasses the whole time was jarring and the Samsung ones I had weren't even that comfortable.
There were TVs with lightweight passive 3D glasses, but TVs ran at half the horizontal resolution while in 3D mode so it wasn't ideal either.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
That monitor on OP is legit one of the best products for price.
Also you can get another game simultaneously if you use 3d glasses