• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
giphy.gif

Yeah, sureee lol
Ask me again
Screenshot-Capture-2019-07-12-11-38-10.png

(Spider-Man)

Screenshot-Capture-2019-07-12-11-38-28.png

(Toy Story 4)

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Definately hit or miss but I did enjoy it at times...it was alright. Still prefer not to use it though.

VR at its current state though, that is the real stinker.

Jun 2, 2019
3D on 3DS made for some memorable moments right from the start. Ignoring the menu and the AR app just Ridge Racer was a great start, and from there the library just grew with great 3D experiences.

Really I can see how someone can dislike 3D but, being dismissive about it? Man..

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
3D games and displays were a stepping stone to current day VR, which is in turn a stepping stone to more immersive mixed reality experiences.

I think people/companies will always seek out more and more immersive experiences it makes sense to me why 3D TVs kind of came and went, because having 3D on a standard display really just makes me wish for the ability to look and move around.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
To this day, i always have the 3D turned all the way up on the 3DS.
Films i cant stand anymore and i always found 3D-TVs to be more of a gimmick.

VR is something different entirely tho.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I actually thought Halo: CE Anniversary was pretty cool in 3D. The projectiles are big, brightly colored, and relatively slow moving so they really popped out of the screen

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I never got to try a 3D game outside the 3DS, which I wasn't a fan of. I kept my 3D off permanently when playing. I tried it a little bit on the n3DS to see what the more-stable version was like but I still turned it off when I was done.

The thing is, though, I always felt like I would like 3D if the effect could be perfectly achieved. No blur, no fuzz, no color compromise, no disalignment when you move your head, just the perfect depth of field effect. The technology certainly isn't there yet, but if it ever is, I think I might like it a lot.

For me, it wasn't fun or cool to use an effect that was so temperamental. But someday, if it's ever "perfect", I bet I'll like it a lot.

I admit that movies largely soured me on 3D before games started toying with it though. I worked at movie theaters from 2009 to 2015 - which was the post-Avatar 3D boom. So many hasty post-conversions. So many cheap projector upgrades. The quality of a lot of those movies were just awful.

I think games is a better place for the effect anyway.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's funny how people would buy a 3DS and turn off the 3D for every game and tell everyone online how little they used it and how pointless it was. How would you know how pointless it is if you never used it?

If you don't like it in movies, to each his own, but depth in gaming makes plenty of sense in multiple game types.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's funny how people would buy a 3DS and turn off the 3D for every game and tell everyone online how little they used it and how pointless it was. How would you know how pointless it is if you never used it?

If you don't like it in movies, to each his own, but depth in gaming makes plenty of sense in multiple game types.
Not sure what's funny about any of that? Person buys a 3D capable device, they try the feature out a couple of times, they find it to be just an okayish gimmick but ultimately nothing special, never uses it again. Seems to me like a typical life and death cycle of failed tech.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what's funny about any of that? Person buys a 3D capable device, they try the feature out a couple of times, they find it to be just an okayish gimmick but ultimately nothing special, never uses it again. Seems to me like a typical life and death cycle of failed tech.
How is it failed tech if thousands of games and movies use it? The vast majority of the 3DS library has it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I genuinely like it. I'm still disappointed I never had the chance to play Puppeteer in 3D, that sounds like it's a real treat.

Jun 24, 2019
Those were the days.

It was a weird hype. I still have my 3DS but I don't use it the 3D function that much. It hurt my eyes, to be honest, I don't bother watching movies in 3D either.

It doesn't look great.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Besides Pokémon, I can't think of any other game I played in 2D on the 3DS, the effect is great, especially on the New models. Shame that glasses less 3D barely got off the ground, it's way too good to throw to the curb like that.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There were hundreds and even thousands of Betamax tapes, HD DVDs and Zunes at one point...

I can also ask you a question. How many new games released now come with 3D feature?

I can also ask you a question, how many new games now come out on PS1?

The industry has moved on, but it's hardly a failure. The system had 8 years of success on the market, and even most of the latest games made use of the feature.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

The industry has moved on, but it's hardly a failure. The system had 8 years of success on the market, and even most of the latest games made use of the feature.

Those 8 years of success owed almost nothing to the 3D gimmick. It's probably the most successful 3D gimmick simply due to not requiring glasses, but after the initial novelty when the system launched, the 3D was not a big draw. Portability and the game library sold the 3DS, not the 3D. Hence Nintendo's introduction of the 2DS.

As for the rest, non-VR/AR 3D has always been and will remain fad and fringe tech until glasses aren't required.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
5th best selling handheld console is failed tech?

Hello Playstation Vita.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I had 2 LG tv´s (still have one of those in my bedroom for late night netflix and gaming) with 3D.. loved it.. Titanic was great in 3D, also Prometheus.. lot´s of films were fun to watch in 3D.

Gaming.. hmm.. I tried almost every PS3 game in 3D, I liked it (especially the Trine games).. but it did not bring another dimension to gaming, it just did something "else" to the experience..

3D wasn't a waste, but it was never going to be as big as developers hoped.

but the glasses from the 80s..

84ea4200dc50e84bed6a01f3e380c00b.png

lol those were useless.. I remember watching many 3D films on German television as a kid.. it was bad.. like REALLY bad..

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Movies: I never liked 3d there except for few cases like Life Of Pi where it actually enhanced the experience. However, HFR 3D on the Hobbit films was AMAZING, shame it didn't get more traction. And it's even sadder that we can never watch those films again in this format

Games: I actually like the 3D on 3DS, and always have it on, especially on N3DS, save for the ghosting in some games (Lugii's Mansion 2 is pretty bad). On PS3 I tried it for a few seconds in Uncharted 3 but turned it off, so no big loss there

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
3D mode on 3DS was actually pretty decent for most games, except for a handful where the framerate is too low, since the image have to be rendered twice or something if I remember.

For movies, 3D can be great if done right, but most movies use to post conversion, which isn't that great. The handful memorable ones IMHO is Avatar, Life of Pi and Hobbit.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Phoenix Wright games will feel very flat now without stereoscopy.

Aside from 3ds it never worked for me, 3d makes everything feel small, like puppets/reduced models and that ruins any sense of grandeur in movies for me.

Oct 25, 2017
My previous TV had a 3D mode and I remember one of the Black Ops (I think the second one) had 3D functionality. It was ok but the whole 3D hype came and went so fast.

The idea of wearing glasses the whole time was jarring and the Samsung ones I had weren't even that comfortable.
Samsung was on the active bandwagon. Passive 3d is more comfy as the tech is in the screen and not the glasses. It's basically like going to the cinema.

There were TVs with lightweight passive 3D glasses, but TVs ran at half the horizontal resolution while in 3D mode so it wasn't ideal either.
This is why It's too bad they didn't wait a few years. On a 4k tv this is not a problem at all. On my fullhd 3dtv it looks less than ideal, but on my 4k 3dtv it looks at least as good, if not better than it does in the cinema.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Watch a 3D movie at least once a week. OLED 4K passive 3D is where it's at. Looking forward to getting my Endgame 3D Blu Ray. Bought and watched Lego Movie 2 the other week in 3D, it was amazing

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Thought 3D was fine in theaters, but I never really bothered to chase the experience on PC as a 21:9 monitor does more wonders for immersion than expensive 3D stuff

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the 3D on my 3DS. I usually played with the 3D halfway, because sometimes all of it would mgive me a headache

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I never bought a 3D TV but I played several games in 3D on 3DS and PS3 where the effect was definitely worth it. Same for some movies in the theater.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
3D never really added anything for movies for me, but for games on 3ds it was great (and for my art :p)

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
The old man paid a premium for a 3D TV in 2010. We watched the 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony with those goofy glasses and that was the one and only time it was used. Solid investment!

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, n3DS' 3D is amazing. Thanks, uncool people for ruining it for subsequent handhelds.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really wish that 3D craze would stop in movie theaters here in Canada. Most of the time for the big Hollywood movies, you have like 1 or 2 daily showings in 2D and like fucking 6 of them in 3D... all to sell the more expensive tickets. And the 2D showng is usually around the end of the afternoon, which is the worst time to go to the movie theater if you ask me.

This is for Spiderman :
grorLzE.png

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019

Nintendo even went out of their way on trying to improve it on the New 3DS. Their solution was less than ideal but was a nice PoC

3D should have stayed, it's more interesting than the boring "Hey look, more pixels!" and give games an interesting look. It's also a real advancement in visual tech.

I hope it makes a comeback in a decade or so.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Never joined that nonsense. I tried but it's just not good enough. Period. I even actively search for a theater that will show my movie in 2D.
People really can't think for themselves. Wireless shit, 3D cinema, Kinect, Google glasses... It's all nice tech, sure. But it also sucks ass.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think the 3DS is the thing that worked the most.
You didn't have to get any weird, expensive or uncomfortable accessories for it work and it actually enhanced some games.
Made the screen seem bigger than it was, especially on the regular one.
And the New 3DS fixed many problems even though I never got to get one of my own.
3DTV are getting phased out for past few yeara making 3D gaming less viable, not like new console games even really support it.

But other than that, the only movie that I can think of that really made use of the 3D was Avatar, but that could just be because it kicked off the whole craze.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 3D LG TV and haven't used the feature in years. But I remember enjoying a lot of movies on it back in the day.

Still think the effect on the N3DS is great and use it sometimes.