• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Remember this dumb shit?

41RvsbgSJyL.jpg
I picked up one of these refurbished for $100 some years back. It's a great little screen.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
3D on the new 3DS was awesome. Played OoT and Mario 3DWorld only in that mode. I wonder if they bring it back to Switch one day. But yeah, overall the craze was dumb.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
The 3D on the 3DS was cool but I would have happily sacrificed it for more powerful hardware.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo continuing to innovate with glasses-free 3D on 3DS was really cool and something I'll always appreciate.

Watching Sony go crazy with 3D at the same E3 Nintendo announced the 3DS was pretty funny though, no doubt.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
On the 3DS it was legit, and I was one of the lucky crowd that could have 3D cranked all the way up 100% of the time even in non-new models with absolutely no problem.

On TVs though, it was clear that it was the gimmick of choice to "force" people to upgrade their perfectly fine 1080p TVs since 4K was still not ready for mass market.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always play my 3DS games with the 3D fully cranked up. Image is a lot sharper that way and the stable 3D works great on the New model.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Kinda disappointed this isn't about the transition from the 16-bit days, when 3D polygons were new and everyone was trying their hand at this wild new technology.

I had forgotten about this type of 3D, TBH.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Always hated it both on games and movies. They still deliver movies with 3d, one of the reasons I stopped going to see films on the cinema... looks worse, unconfortable, expensive.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never joined that nonsense. I tried but it's just not good enough. Period. I even actively search for a theater that will show my movie in 2D.
People really can't think for themselves. Wireless shit, 3D cinema, Kinect, Google glasses... It's all nice tech, sure. But it also sucks ass.
Or, maybe we can think and just have different tastes?

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I LOVE 3D. The problem was the tech was pushed hard before it was completely ready.

I have an LG 3D 4K OLED and 3D content on that looks AMAZING.

I also exclusively use the 3D on the 3DS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I feel like 3D was always something that was leading to something else, and that thing was VR. It came and went over the decades, from the old anaglyph stuff to its more modern return in cinemas, blu rays, 3D TVs and so on, it was always a novelty on the 2 or 3 times it popped back up. I believe VR is here to stay though.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I LOVE 3D. The problem was the tech was pushed hard before it was completely ready.

I have a 3D 4K OLED and 3D content on that looks AMAZING.

I also exclusively use the 3D on the 3DS.

I'm with you, Wiped. I played Puppeteer, Sands of Time and House of the Dead in 3D. Amazing experiences. I also played a bit of Trine and Sonic Generations in 3D through my PC (but I always had to jump through hoops to get it working on my TV), and also tried out some Gears 3 in 3D on the Xbox 360 (which was low res and ugly AF).

3D continues to provide amazing experiences, both for movies and gaming. I kept the 3D on exclusively on my 3DS, I even bought a new 3DS XL specifically for the improved eye tracking.

3D was great, it's just the tech which was lagging. Again, you are right. The 4K TVs provide the best 3D experience due to their higher resolution, but sadly manufacturers moved on from the tech by the time those 4K TVs were getting produced. I have a passive 3D TV which probably contributes to my positive disposition toward the format - if I had active glasses, I'd probably balk due to the bulkiness of the glasses, constantly charging and the cost barrier. As it is, my 3D glasses from the theater work just fine at home.

Glasses-free 3D tech like what was on the 3DS was amazing, if that could just be mass produced on TV sets for a reasonable cost...if anyone questions that, just play Sega 3D classics and let me know afterwards. You will be changed...

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked 3D quite a lot and I am still sad that new TVs do not support it anymore. Could have keep it as an option at least. :( I guess I need to hunt down that last LG OLED that supported it.

Jan 11, 2018
I remember a lot of people saying "3D is here to stay, it's different this time!". Which is also what people are saying about VR right now, although VR technology is at least far ahead enough for there to be good games developed exclusively for it and is not necessarily just a gimmick like 3D.

I picked up one of these refurbished for $100 some years back. It's a great little screen.

It can also output PSP games via component cable to fill the entire screen without using a zoom function, if I'm not mistaken.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As per usual Sony, PS3 was too weak to support 3D comfortably, thats why the added immersion was ruined by huge in-your-face pixels in games. They made the same error with VR and PS4, thats why I did not bought in and waiting for PS5 and VR2 to commit.

Also small passive 3D glasses are way lower barrier of entry in comparison with bulky VR goggles with a god damn cable tethering.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Haha, I love how you say no current gen handheld when there's only one current gen handheld. I miss 3d from the 3ds, too. Pilotwings was awesome!

Yeah after I wrote it I was thinking that we really only have one handheld console anymore. But even with phones, I dont think any tried 3D like the 3DS did.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm just here to read the hot takes about VR being the same as 3D.

Was not disappointing.
It's not the same, but if you think one didn't contribute to leading into the other, you're crazy. I mean, 3D is having effects have depth and comes out around you and VR is planting you in the middle of it all, so it's pretty much the next logical step in immersion.

But to those saying it's a fad that died, sure it's not as prominent (bullshit tvs are gone) but it's still out there (movies and theme parks) in force. The 3ds glasses'less 3D still blows my mind.

Deleted member 34132

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I totally forgot that my TV supports 3D.

Honestly some movies were really nice in 3D. The Lion King, Avatar, The Avengers and Gravity come to my mind. But gaming... I think I only played Arkham City in 3D but only for about 30 minutes before I turned it off.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the same, but if you think one didn't contribute to leading into the other, you're crazy. I mean, 3D is having effects have depth and comes out around you and VR is planting you in the middle of it all, so it's pretty much the next logical step in immersion.

But to those saying it's a fad that died, sure it's not as prominent (bullshit tvs are gone) but it's still out there (movies and theme parks) in force. The 3ds glasses'less 3D still blows my mind.

Yeah totally can see the transition or impact 3D has or may have had on VR development. But same could be said for Kinect aswell, Which people also like to confuse with VR. When in reality VR is nothing like the two, Or it's combining the two together. Just a bizarre scenario where a tech enthusiast site like this actively despises anything tech related, Like some of us don't want to play games always on a panel, Been doing that years and nothings new. Ceilings reached so heaven forbid giant tech companies look for alternatives like 3D/VR/AR etc.

Going from Farpoint with the AIM to Destiny with a pad on a panel is literally like going back a few gens, Feels archaic.

Changes are coming whether people like it or not, New tech and innovation is what drives the industry forward. You'll still be able to play COD and ADS with L2 don't worry.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 3 having 3D support on the ps3 was really bonkers since the only thing i could think of is how much better it could look without the need to support that worthless feature for that sort of game. I want to know what graphical features had to be turned off for when it runs in 3d.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think I've only ever played my 3DS in 3D, it's awesome. Especially on the new models.

I still like 3D on TVs too, but it was never going to take off because of the glasses requirement.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Every talks shit about gen 7 gimmicks, but they all combined into VR and its amazing

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Passive 3d on 4k sets was fantastic, wish it was still around. From what I've read, hdr actually killed off 3d as a feature, the screen brightness would of been chambered with 3d.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Uhm my 3DS has been in full 3D since day one. I loved 3D, never had a problem with it, even without the head tracking.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always use 3D in Super Stardust HD. same with Motorstorm Apocalypse. I love the effect.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
3ds 3d was good, every other execution of 3d I actively dislike.
anything that makes you wear shit or changes the color treatment is wack
the option to turn 3d off seamlessly and not be greeted with some visual concussion hell is excellent

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
A slider on my 3DS is the extent of the effort I am willing to make in order to use 3D. It will never be successful.