• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 26, 2018
How many additional kickstarters / crowdfunding calls did they have again?

I feel like they had 4 additional crowdfunding rounds for MN9 alone, without taking Red Ash (or whatever it was called) into the count.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
How many additional kickstarters / crowdfunding calls did they have again?

I feel like they had 4 additional crowdfunding rounds for MN9 alone, without taking Red Ash (or whatever it was called) into the count.
They never had additional funding... The game did have as many delays, which you probably had mistaken.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yeah, these are type of comics I was talking about.
2e1.png
ee3.png
ah...the yonder of youth..

Jun 26, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being super excited. Inafune was and still is one of my favorite figures in the video game industry.

I ended up enjoying the game. It was fun.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
What?

They had a crowdfunding campaign for English voice acting and a separate one for Japanese voice acting, right?
Oh snap, I forgot that one. My bad. IIRC it was only for the English voice.

They also had a slackerbacker campaign and which they used to ask for more money for DLC here: https://web.archive.org/web/2014120.../projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1034261
I thought you meant full-fledged campaign re-launch, but yeah, that's also correct. Extra mini-backing was kind of standards for crowdfunding past several years, though.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I remember when this was when gamers hated capcom so much (mainly for stuff that Inafune helped implement) that they gave money to anything that they saw as a fuck you to Caocim out if Spite. Nowadays people are unironically throwing using CapGod again after all the godly releases, including a new MegaMan game that's leaps and bounds better than Mighty No 9.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I only backed for a copy of the game so when it turned out to be super mediocre I wasn't really much more put out than when I bought X7.

In the end we got MM11 so it evened out

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The only thing that upsets me is that he continues to have a career in game development.

He really is just a business man.

Oct 29, 2017
At least we ended up getting an actual Mega Man 11 out of it. And it kicked arse! :D

Good ended up coming out of this mess in the end!

I've spent, no kidding, around a year asking relevant people about this version and cannot get an answer.

Everyone says it's not their problem and the money is seemingly just gone forever.

I don't think they ever actually really started developing them in earnest. By the time the game was out (probably even before then), they just cut their losses and ran.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I put 99 down on this thing...

Yeah, I know, I was a fool. I really bought in to the whole "Stick it to Capcom, Inafune giving us the REAL Mega Man game!" mindset.

I don't think I ever got a code or half of my stuff. Just the t-shirt. I didn't care at that point.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Sure - I remember the parade of cringey videos of pasty nerds doing the 2 finger salute thing which never, ever, ever looks cool in real life.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Capcom really doesn't deserve a lot of praise here for how they treated the series for so long.

We're lucky one of the devs there at Capcom made this happen to begin with. Just cause Mighty No 9 was a failure doesn't mean Capcom wasn't being lame for a good bit there.
Just blame all the bad on Inafune, he's responsible for a lot of the shit practices at Capcom at the time anyway.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hey, y'know what?

Fuck you guys shit talking the fan and the comics when the campaign was riding high. Where the fuck you find the balls to shit on people's genuine exctiment? Seriously. Screw you.

Yes, Mighty Number 9 was a shitstain, i hated the game. Backed it too. I think the game was a pitiful attempt at a Megaman style platformer and it failed in a self-contained "Judge the game as a game" environment, just as much as it did as a project thanks to it's creator turning out to be a hack. Let's not forget the whole Red Ash shitshow...

However. This was while Capcom was on a serious low point with fans. There was no Modern collections of the megaman games. But there were some really shitty ports on Mobile. There was a lot of bad Capcom games and failures roaming about and fans were excited. THey were celebrating some cool coming back to them with high hopes and open hearts and minds.

To even consider shitting on that is stupid.

Capcom has had a serious slew of hits lately and a big improvement on image. But let's not pretend that as far as Megaman goes all we got was an Ok Megaman 11 , 4 Compilations of old games (again) and a already forgot cartoon. And that's it.

Mighty Number 9 was a terrible shitstain... remember the Manual that wouldn't fit inside the Mock box for the game?

But even so, it's not ok to just go around shitting on people's genuine excitement. hindsight is 20/20 and back then, nobody knew.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Since I'm not a Mega Man fan I was never really part of the target audience, so didn't back the game or even consider it. I was happy that there was a venue for games like this to get funded outside of the traditional publisher model, but also kind of confused at how backers were acting - there was this really weird idea that 67K backers proved that there was a massive market for Mega Man. It was similar with Yooka-Laylee, people acted as if 73K backers proved that there was a big market for collectathon platformers.

Probably that was part of the reason for the Capcom spite. Some Mega Man fans seriously imagined Mega Man to be a hugely popular IP that Capcom were deliberately killing as part of a corporate vendetta.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Protip: if you were one of the people that were tricked into wasting their money on Inafune's scamjob, the way to atone is by buying Mega Man 11, an actually awesome game.

What can I say about this shit? Inafune is a scam artist. First he initiated "development" on Mega Man Legends 3, apparently without permission from Capcom, weirdly offering plenty of fan-involvement in the game's creation. Then he quits the company barely a month later, fucking up the game's development. And since MML3 was never actually greenlit for full development and without anyone spearheading it, Capcom cancels whatever it was the MML3 team was doing. After acquiring massive goodwill from the Mega Man fanbase from this bullshit, Inafune launched his kickstarter for a Mega Man replacement. End result is a game that sure doesn't look like it had a $5 million budget.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I hope this was an important life lesson and eye opener at least. People don't seem to understand that crowdfunding anything involves a certain amount of risk. No doubt this project was shittier than some others with underdelivering and the finished product being less than desirable, but people need to learn that they are not ordering a game when backing a project, they are investing in the potential of a game existing.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I was one of those backers...

Never mind that the end product looks like ass (it was nothing like the initial art they put out), it plays like ass too, there is something off about the air dash that I can't put my fingers on. Played it for like 1 hour and decided its enough for me, its just BAD.

Definitely one of my biggest mistake in terms of game purchases.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I remember being happy for the fans and was also on a "fuck you capcom" streak for DmC.

Funny how things turned out.

I'm eager to see the follow-up to those comics especially now that MM11 is out and is relatively successful.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's easy to dunk on it now, but at the time capcom was seriously at an all time low. We had come off poorly received (critically or with fans) titles like street fighter x tekken (which had bad box art megaman), dmc, resident evil 6, and the cancelation of both mega man legends 3 and universe. I don't think faith in capcom could have been any lower.

Looking back in 2019 when the worst thing capcom has done in recent years is making mvc:i says a lot. MvCi probably would have been the best received game of the ones above had it released in 2011-2013

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on that list. I gave 5 dollars to the kickstarter. I am ashamed of my actions. Never bought it, never played the game nor did i even try to look for my name in the credits online.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I was so hyped for this kickstarter and in hindsight really dodged a bullet by not backing it (I think I backed a couple of board games instead, which probably paid off better.)

On the bright side, we got two outstanding Mighty Gunvolt games out of it. Mighty Gunvolt Burst in particular is the best Megaman game in years.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember all the art people made crossing over all the big Kickstarter games supporting each other. It was sweet but man did it age like milk.

Now you got this.
tumblr_o96inbL4AM1r7i8hpo2_500.png

oh-god-its-him-again-jpg.165624

f3b.jpg

(Please be good Bloodstained.)

Last edited:

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It feels like a lifetime ago. Back then, Megaman was on life-support and the best thing Capcom put out was...this SFxT trailer:

I never put any money towards the project (too busy backing Project Phoenix or something), but I was happy for the Megaman fans that were getting something after all the bad news. I didn't expect all of the fuckery that spawned from the Kickstarter, but I'm glad that Capcom is back! That's a positive!

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hyped about this when it was announced, and if I could've backed it, I would have. But I was in the hospital at the time recovering from surgery, so I guess it worked out? I will say, I was hyped and I didn't hate most of the comics, but the comic that capitalizes "Him" for Inafune, like he's God, even then, that was really stretching it.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a not so proud backer! XD

I did get a cute USB drive in the shade of a NES cartridge so maybe not a complete loss?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Was never that interested in Mighty No. 9 but I was interested in Red Ash. Shame that's dead now.
Maybe Capcom will give us Mega Man Legends 3 finally.