• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Luckily I just paid a small sum, so I didn't lose much.

Oooh wouldn't that mean that they are in breach of contact as they haven't delivered on what they promised?

Safe to assume that it's dead.
They'll never officially cancel it and thus never officially say what's happened to it.

There are so many parties involved that each one just points to the other.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, these are type of comics I was talking about.
2e1.png
ee3.png

This is what i remember, all the hopeful fanart that is hilarious now.

tumblr_o1ja0pEuV51qlv9bto1_1280.jpg

No idea on the source(would love to find out actually) but that one always made me laugh.

Came for this too!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Inafune played the Mega Man fanbase like a damn fiddle. I'm glad I didn't fall for it after all of his ramblings about how he could save the Japanese game industry after his guidance fucked over Capcom.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
My friend who backed it never ever got his copy so he just gave up on it. I don't think he even played it when it ended on PS+.

What even happened to Inafune after this, he just...vanished.

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I remember buying this day one and blasting through it in a few hours. If you recorded my face you could've had a 4 hour video of the light leaving someone's eyes in realtime.

My friend who backed it never ever got his copy so he just gave up on it. I don't think he even played it when it ended on PS+.

What even happened to Inafune after this, he just...vanished.

His company got absorbed into Level 5. That was 2 years ago though. I think he vanished in shame.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I remember buying this day one and blasting through it in a few hours. If you recorded my face you could've had a 4 hour video of the light leaving someone's eyes in realtime.

His company got absorbed into Level 5. That was 2 years ago though. I think he vanished in shame.
Yeah...I'd vanish too after the MN9 fiasco on-top of having the audacity of starting 2 extra KS for some MML style game and even an anime of said MML style game and having everything fall apart. At least, I think that's what happened.

Oct 25, 2017
I put $5 into this game. I also put $5 towards a Democratic Senate candidate from conservative-ass Alabama. Guess which one was the better investment.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I never backed it. Just looked like more Mega Man and there's like a million Mega Mans and indies inspired by Mega Man. It was so ridiculous that they were announcing sequels, spinoffs and cartoon shows before their first game, like they were trying to just replace the brand overnight

All those cartoons people made are extra funny now that Mega Man 11 and Smash are things

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
321$ victim here

9Hb5DKa.png

I'm not even mad about the money, i'm just mad about the whole debacle, the terrible game that come out of it, and i'm sad that the guy who supported rockman during his whole life made this as his last true game, truly disappointing! He lost all his credibility with everyone

At least it gave us mighty gunvolt burst, thanks inticreate!

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many times do we need to beat this already deadass horse

Yeah got it ya'll. Inafune was a demon hack all along who wanted all our souls and cashes and was never actually good at his job because of one failed project.

Great.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
How many times do we need to beat this already deadass horse

Yeah got it ya'll. Inafune was a demon hack all along who wanted all our souls and cashes and was never actually good at his job because of one failed project.

Great.

I agree that we're repeating this too much, but...

If the game was just bad, it would be one thing, but the guy just managed the whole thing awfuly, asking for money again, starting an other kickstarter while mighty9 was still in developpment, removing gameplay mechanics that were supposed to be in the game, and most of all, tons of backer never got what they payed for (some rewards and the 3DS/Vita version)....

And he didn't even apologize for it, he never adressed it, he's just hiding

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I know ResetEra doesn't want to hear a defense of Deep Silver right now, but I really doubt they had anything to do with the game itself.

I maintain that if Mighty No. 9 released in 2009 on XBLA it would've been a smash hit. Like, that same era with Trials HD and 'Splosion Man.

In retrospect, the first alarm bell should've been the fact it was using Unreal 3 and yet somehow meant to come out for 3DS.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'll always remember is all the ridicule people got for wanting the final game to look like the concept art. How dare people want the final product to resemble the only thing people had to go on when it was announced

I remember all the art people made crossing over all the big Kickstarter games supporting each other. It was sweet but man did it age like milk.

Now you got this.

bf9.png

oh-god-its-him-again-jpg.165624

(Please be good Bloodstained.)

Yooka Laylee was good

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Went back to the MN9 KS page and...damn, some of those backer tiers hurt to read.

2,858 people pledged $250
248 people pledged $500
67 people pledged $600
16 people pledged $1,000
14 people pledged $2,500
3 people pledged $5,000
2 people pledged $9,999
4 people pledged $10,000

All that, just to get a Megaman clone with PS2 graphics, botched physical rewards shipped a year afterwards, and the promised 3DS/Vita ports that they can't even bring themselves to say were cancelled.

Kickstarter has produced a ton of amazing games, but when it doesn't...well, I can sorta see why so many are reluctant to trust it.

Feb 12, 2019
Mighty No 9 really does feel like the game that gave people a reality check in regards to Kickstarter and crowdfunding in general. Well, that and the Ouya. It turns out that even people with the best intentions (and I'm being very generous when I say MN9 had the best intentions) who made "that old thing you like that isn't being made anymore" can still over-promise and under-deliver. Hey, at least the bursting of the bubble has forced developers to be more responsible when they do crowdfunding campaigns, and at least this game's failure in particular led Capcom to make MegaMan 11.

I do remember thinking about backing it, and boy am I glad I dodged that bullet. Having played the game when it was free on PS+, it seemed... uh, functional, at least. That's more than I can say for Underworld Ascendant.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Whenever MN9 comes up I'm reminded of the fact that there's an otome game where you play as Keiji Inafune's niece and have to solve puzzles with a bunch of potential suitors in order to rescue Inafune and a load of other theme park patrons from terrorists.

It was on the PSP and got an official localisation and everything. I think it was called Sweet Fuse?

Like, it's kind of crazy that such a game exists. I'm not even sure if Inafune himself had anything to do with it (or if he has any nieces for that matter, but that info's probably best kept private).

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Ah MN9. Such a shame it didn't turn out better. TBH, not delivering on the 3DS/Vita versions was gross as all hell but otherwise......this was just a game that came out mediocre as opposed to a war crime as some frame it. If I knew it would have turned out like this I wouldn't have donated $100 but its hard for me to be that mad (though again those who donated for a 3DS/Vita version have every right to be super pissed). I'm just disappointed that it was mismanaged into mediocrity. A strong lesson for everyone involved and every side. Thank god at least real Mega Man is back and good.

Also, even though the "anime fan at prom night" trailer was dumb - anyone who was actually offended by that is a goober :P

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I didn't know about the kickstarter until a few months after it was over, I dodged a bullet with that one.

The worst thing about the game isn't the delays or the broken promises or anything, but rather that they pulled a bait and switch with the graphic engine as the 10 second clip they used for the kickstarter looked so much better than the final engine they used for the main game which just looked cheap and plastic.

katagai

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I try to not remember this game exists. I didn't back this game for $211, that money just magically disappeared from my wallet.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about backing the game, but remembering how hard Inafune fucked over Capcom made me cautious, and I figured with the kickstarter being a success, that I'd just buy it later.

Never ended up buying it for obvious reasons, but hey Im glad Megaman 11 ended up being good at least!

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
They'll never officially cancel it and thus never officially say what's happened to it.

There are so many parties involved that each one just points to the other.

I mean sooner or later people are gonna confront them. The vita carts are literally gonna run out this month so there's really no time left for them to get away with not delivering on the handheld versions. It's a big mess and honestly someone needs to just break it open and expose what went wrong.

I always found this campaign kinda dumb, to be honest. It came off as edgy fans who weren't happy about going three years without a MM game (when the series saw way too many games every year for eons and needed a break) and donated to MN9 to do "Take thats" to capcom only for this to happen, treating Inafune like a god when rather Infaune had little to do with MM's success and more to do with things that weren't as good, save for his involvement with Mega Man Zero and BN1-3. Most other Capcom members ended up being the ones that did the actual work. Inti Creates could still make a good game no doubt, but with the poor planning and how the whole thing was a disaster it's a no brainer they weren't able to make anything good out of MN9 save for the first Mighty Gunvolt.

The ironic part that people seem to forget is that the entire reason MML3 was cancelled was because it was never even greenlit. in theory, a game gets greenlit before you announce it so that it can't be pulled under the rug from you, but the whole gimmick of "the fans help the whole process!" ended up being a really dumb idea since while cool in theory, it just meant that Inafune by pre-emptively announcing it with the assumption that "oh hey it's mega man it's gonna come out since they release lots of new Mega man per year" kinda shot himself and all the fans in the foot. Even though the Mega Man IP was huge and such there's always a chance that a pitch will not be approved, fan feedback or not, and the cancelation basically stemmed from it not being approved. (IIRC, from what was said in interviews back in 2011, they even said the prototype version was the main thing that would determine the game being greenlit or not but that got delayed and then... cancellation.)

So TLDR: by Infaune basically announcing the MML3 project so early right before he left the company (instead of maybe having the project go through internal evaluation enough to at least get the prototype version in sight and have fans pitch ideas) he basically ended up setting expectations high that it was already approved and a real project when it really was no different from the Maverick Hunter FPS reboot that was pitched behind the scenes, except MML3 was public. WHo knows how many more times MML3 was pitched again and again in the years since, but I bet they won't make it or announce it until they're absolute sure it'll happen.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
I mean look at the bright side. the amount of "fuck you Capcom!" victory laps by MM9 stans during its development pissed off Capcom into developing Megaman 11.
So, in the end, we all win, right?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I didn't "fall for the hype" simply cause it didn't look like Mega Man to me. Watching a playthrough post-launch reaffirmed that belief. Game seems much to challenging to me. Unfriendly checkpointing, enemies not dropping health (or anything?), some real ridiculous air dash jumps doesn't scream fun imo! One of the lil things it shares in common with MM is that it seems to be mediocre, like many MM-series games.

Whenever MN9 comes up I'm reminded of the fact that there's an otome game where you play as Keiji Inafune's niece and have to solve puzzles with a bunch of potential suitors in order to rescue Inafune and a load of other theme park patrons from terrorists.

It was on the PSP and got an official localisation and everything. I think it was called Sweet Fuse?

Like, it's kind of crazy that such a game exists. I'm not even sure if Inafune himself had anything to do with it (or if he has any nieces for that matter, but that info's probably best kept private).
Yup, Sweet Fuse: At Your Side's the game! I've enjoyed a couple playthroughs of it! Inafune being in there was a pretty wacky an ultimately harmless self-insert.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
believe Capcom was keeping Megaman fans down, when in reality they've never had it so good.

Citation needed.

I man things WERE looking good before Inafune's departure with Legends 3 and Mega Man Universe (despite the latter reported having awful controls and that weird artstyle). I always thought the idea of reviving Bad Box Art Mega Man was cool, but revealing him just after Legends 3 stung hard.

What a bunch of suckers. Don't feel the least bit sorry for anyone that backed that game

Way to kick people while they're down.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Fools and their monies are easily parted.

Shame Red Ash didn't turn out to be something, though.

It kinda did, they made some forgettable anime out of Red Ash that nobody asked for (another one of Inafune's "cross media initiatives" that went absolutely nowhere).
And Inafune's company got bought by Level 5. So yeah, it's dead. And Inafune is in hiding. He almost ruined Capcom last gen and took a load of money for these mediocre or dead projects.

EDIT: Another dead Inafune project everyone has forgotten about (461 million yen loss on the project):

Kaio: King of Pirates
https://www.unseen64.net/2017/05/16/keiji-inafune-kaio-king-pirates-3ds-cancelled/

camu

Oct 29, 2017
Still waiting for my 3DS copy :))

Didn't know about that list, but my name is actually on there, what a scam. I was pretty disappointed to hear the game was bad, but to never even get my promised copy is shameful.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I right in thinking this one has a waft of GG about it?

Could just be a comment on kickstarter drama. Though trying to make it look like people getting banned from steam forums "just for asking for refunds" in the wake of JT being a white supremacist looks a bit suspect. IDK.
I was just looking for goofy pictures. I'll delete it just in case as I don't want to drag that into this.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember. Never have I felt this betrayed when it comes to games. It left such a bitter aftertaste that I can't help but feel as if it was an elaborate scam and it really sucks because I think it was one of those high-profile failures that give Kickstarter projects a bad rep.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Almost 70,000 backers? That's insane! I knew its Kickstarter campaign was popular, but didn't realize it did those kinds of numbers.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I've never backed a video game because of this fiasco. I feel bad for those that either lost money or were delivered a significantly subpar product.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this game put me off kickstarters for good. Gamble with someone elses money in future. I'll buy the end product depending on the quality.