• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I ran across this old piece.

a lighthearted interview with YouTube channel Drunk Tech Review, the Respawn designer said that although he is personally excited about the console, he knows it won't be getting third-party support due to being "so underpowered".

When asked by the show host if we'll ever see Titanfall on the Switch, he replied, "Fuck no! No, you're not going to be able to fit Titanfall 2 on the Nintendo Switch."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vg...of-releasing-the-game-on-nintendo-switch/amp/

And this

From the Brian Fargo interview on the latest Axe of the Blood God podcast (with Kat Bailey).

https://soundcloud.com/usgamernet/ax...r-pokemon-bank

Around 59 min in.Kat: So, Torment: Tides of Numenera is coming out Feb 28 on XBO, PS4, and PC. Looking at the Switch at all? Any Interest?

BF: The what? What do you mean?

Kat: The Nintendo Switch.

BF: Oh no! Hahaha haha.

Kat: Whoa! Whoa, just dropping bombs right here.

BF: I like Nintendo, but that's not going to happen on that machine. Plus that's not the audience. I mean, can you imagine a Nintendo game with a million words? Haha. That's a complete mismatch. Hehe.

Law breakers Dev making excuses and laughing. Possibly not even knowing the switch button count.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ght_prevent_lawbreakers_from_coming_to_switch

Do you think these Dev houses or there share holders have regrets about switch?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Brian Fargo is now developping Wasteland 2 for the console, that's a quick turnaround. Unless that one has less than a million words or something.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they have regrets they said that at the time, but also nobody would care I guess? It was in the past and to be honest many people including me (a Wii U owner back then) thought like this which was the reason that I waited this time for my purchase.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
No. I mean you're still not going to see Titanfall on switch.

EA is completely done with that console

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Riiiiight? The Switch has been a success but that doesn't make those developers wrong - there are no plans to release Titanfall 2 on the Switch yet.

Oct 25, 2017
That was like two guys, tho.
...well, there's also Capcom's MVCI team but maybe they were laughing at the idea of anyone wanting a port

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anything that the Titanfall dev said was wrong. His language may have been harsh, but the Switch is still vastly under powered compared to the other 2 and won't be playing Titanfall anytime soon.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
That Titanfall guy still makes me a little angry when I hear about them at interview. Why would you laugh at one of the console providers you might be supporting? If the 360 can run Titanfall, I doubt the Switch would have any trouble.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'd love to use Nintendo's dumb ass online chat and friend system to play stuff like Titanfall 2.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean

The Titanfall thing wasn't saying the Switch was a joke, it was just the dude saying that there's no way Titanfall could run on Switch hardware. And he's probably right.

Oct 26, 2017
Basically IMO, it's become:

Respawn: "LOL Titanfall 2 couldn't be done on Switch, you're delusional."

Panic Button: "Hold my beer."

You could've heard the same about DOOM and Wolfenstein 2, yet Panic Button managed to pull DOOM off so far, I'm pretty confident they could get Titanfall 2 on Switch if EA told them to do it.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Contrary to what some people want to believe, there are very real technical limitations that would make bringing certain games to Switch extremely difficult. If you think we're going to see all the big third party games on Switch in 2018 you're delusional.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird thread. Two devs laughing at the prospect of bringing two specific games to the console that...still haven't come to the console. So they were right?

If the devs were being more generally dismissive of the Switch and its prospects that would be one thing, but this isn't what happened.

Oct 27, 2017

You could've heard the same about DOOM and Wolfenstein 2, yet Panic Button managed to pull DOOM off so far, I'm pretty confident they could get Titanfall 2 on Switch if EA told them to do it.

Titanfall 2 at 30 fps and sub 480p would be terrible though.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the lack of graphics and stable network will prevent a lot of FPS MP games from being on the switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Except for the "one million word" comment, which is kind of offensive, devs/publishers can release their games in whatever plattform they want, it's their right. Personally, I think that Titanfall could have sold quite good with a decent port and Lawbreakers sure could use whatever sales they could get.

Nov 28, 2017
Sure, Switch is selling well. But the vast majority of popular games will still never be made for it, so I don't see how developers were wrong.
No Destiny, no Battlefield, no GTA, no Far Cry, no Assassin's Creed, no CoD, sports games bombed on it... I understand that it has its target market of pre-teens and teenagers, I'm glad that target market is feasible, but until it sees a steady flow of decent third party games, it will always be a one-trick pony.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well, I have 2 Switches at home and I'm not laughing, but rather angry that everything besides 2D Pixel Indie games runs in sub HD or even sub SD resolution (On the Handheld). At least, half of the time not native and that sucks.

The Idea of the Switch is phenomenal, always was, the best Nintendo could do after the Wii U, f'n genius and I love handheld gaming, but it's the technique and optimization of games lately that is still laughable.
And the Joy-Con problems, and the Vanilla OS and the still not available virtual console and the high cartridge prices that forces companies to sell half games on a cartridge....

I should stop. I see why you could still laugh about it.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed at the Switch too. There were a lot of unanswered questions about how this system fit into the market. Nintendo releasing two GotY candidates for the Switch in its first year did a lot to erase these questions, but let's not act like the Switch was a sure thing when it launched. There are still questions regarding Nintendo's implementation of online services and third-party support that need to be answered, but given its popularity this year I think it's found its niche for sure.

OP
OP

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That was like two guys, tho.
...well, there's also Capcom's MVCI team but maybe they were laughing at the idea of anyone wanting a port

Do you have a link? I can't find that one.

Yeah the Devs for both Law breakers and MvC should be fired. It's one thing to mock another console and potential revenue stream. It's another to mock and then have your game flop.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Contrary to what some people want to believe, there are very real technical limitations that would make bringing certain games to Switch extremely difficult. If you think we're going to see all the big third party games on Switch in 2018 you're delusional.

Pretty much this. There are games that are perfect for the Switch, and there are games that aren't perfect for the Switch.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
What is it with this Switch owner insecurity?

The thread on Neogaf had to be locked because people started mocking how the guy looked. With the OP of that tread posting a gif so that everyone could go mock him.

What is the point in pointing out some initial reactions now? For everyone to go "hahaha these idiots! "?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Doom and Titanfall 2 are all that comparable?

Doom 2016 is a GPU intensive game which is great for the Switch since it has a pretty solid GPU. Titanfall is considerably more CPU intensive and the Switch's CPU would almost definitely throttle performance.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
What are you trying to start here? Oh look how wrong these devs were, they should've known the future? Do want them to see even more terrible personal replies this time around?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm impressed that you saved those interviews one year after they were made

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, Switch is selling well. But the vast majority of popular games will still never be made for it, so I don't see how developers were wrong.
No Destiny, no Battlefield, no GTA, no Far Cry, no Assassin's Creed, no CoD, sports games bombed on it... I understand that it has its target market of pre-teens and teenagers, I'm glad that target market is feasible, but until it sees a steady flow of decent third party games, it will always be a one-trick pony.
hmm arent the games you listed pretty much targeted at preteens and teenagers as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.