• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
oijp4.jpg

In Spectacular Spider-Man 176-177, published in 1991, city residents are starting to fall ill from a mysterious ailment dubbed "Soho fever". Spider-Man brings people who collapsed from fever on the street to the hospital and eventually MJ falls ill while Peter visits.

ssm01f0k2n.jpg

Meanwhile, Peter's on assignment with the Daily Bugle interviewing scientist Cedric Forrester in his lab which gets cut short when a certain "Corona" invades the building to steal his research.

ssm025sktz.jpg

Later it is revealed that she is Cedric's sister and they were involved in some ethically dubious experiments leading to both her condition and also contaminating the city's water supply.

ssm048lk3e.jpg

Eventually, Spider-Man gets sick himself from direct contact fighting Corona.

The issues have unsurprisingly gained in value among collectors over the past year.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wild how that sort of thing happens. Makes me think of the MTG card that was released early last year, around April - obviously designed and named and printed months in advance. (The original name on the left, the "corrected" name for all reprints on the right.)

hyCVBPu.png

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Oh yeah, now I remember, I had/have that comic. The storyline wasn't that great though, kinda boring as I recall

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I dimly remember reading this at the time. Something about MJ feeling rough and guzzling water, and then it turn out the issue is with the water supply.

OP
OP
lazygecko

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, now I remember, I had/have that comic. The storyline wasn't that great though, kinda boring as I recall

The only reason I found out about this was tangentially stumbling upon it while looking into the story arc right after with Harry Osborn's relapse into madness, which is especially topical now with the Kindred stuff. It's by J.M DeMatteis and it's really well written (though ironically heralds the start of my least favorite period of Spider-Man in the 90's where it's just an unending cascade of tragedy and melodrama), and I find it kind of strange that it hasn't been republished in a collected format given what a pivotal storyline it is for the continuitiy.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Seems legit...
marvel.fandom.com

Spectacular Spider-Man Vol 1 176

Featured Characters: Supporting Characters: Antagonists: Other Characters: Fred (Forrester Security Force) Locations: Forrester Building Peter and Mary Jane's Loft Items: Vehicles: None While Spider-Man is swinging across Manhattan, he spots a woman collapse while crossing the street. As he...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That Kurt Busiek fellow seems like he could write some interesting comics.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The only reason I found out about this was tangentially stumbling upon it while looking into the story arc right after with Harry Osborn's relapse into madness, which is especially topical now with the Kindred stuff. It's by J.M DeMatteis and it's really well written (though ironically heralds the start of my least favorite period of Spider-Man in the 90's where it's just an unending cascade of tragedy and melodrama), and I find it kind of strange that it hasn't been republished in a collected format given what a pivotal storyline it is for the continuitiy.

Yeah when I said it was boring that was through memory and through my then ~12 year old self eyes who mostly wanted to see spider-man punch/kick bad guys while doing funny quips. Subtle I was not. I am sure I would react differently if I reread it today.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
That's real wild, what's next, a refreshing beverage called Corona?

That nonsense aside, I do wonder if/when they'll start making Covid-19 (or Covid-19 inspired) storylines in comics, games etc. I wonder how long it'll take till the actual disease becomes an okay concept to use in fiction.

Beach babe

Oct 25, 2017

That nonsense aside, I do wonder if/when they'll start making Covid-19 (or Covid-19 inspired) storylines in comics, games etc. I wonder how long it'll take till the actual disease becomes an okay concept to use in fiction.

Grey's anatomy already has =/

makonero

Oct 27, 2017

this is us and million little things have it as part of the challenges faced by the characters

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its already happening in stuff like Law and Order SVU and Organized Crime though its often hilariously done like someone stole a ton of Covid 19 vaccines to sell to rich people.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked Corona, I thought she had potiental