• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
yeah but it was bundled for quite a while. Sony also supported that one the most if I recall correctly and it was released during a time where there were fewer games available for ps3

Yes, MotorStorm certainly benefited from being an early standout game. Sony promoted it heavily at the system's launch. I remember the demo was featured prominently in PS3 kiosks in stores.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favourite racer of the generation too. I'm one trophy away from the platinum (I think it was beat someone in a challenge you created).

I have to say, this was a pretty epic rant.

I take the warning I received, but people who take high and mighty tones where they tell people how they ought to feel and act about something, reducing the complexity of the situation, really get to me sometimes. Probably should stop participating in conversations at that point.

I'm about to start the game before the shutdown. Do the Online Trophies take long? Do I need a Plus suscription?

You could probably get a very short PS+ sub. Most of the online stuff you could probably get in a day. The only hard one is actually in driveclub bikes (which has it's own trophy list including a platinum) where you have to come in third place and then record a replay. You can do this with normal cars, but you have to try to start bikes multiplayer and have it fail and move you into cars multiplayer. If you start cars multiplayer it won't work. But if you don't care about driveclub bikes you can probably ignore that, although I can't remember if you can actually avoid getting trophies from the bikes list. Like, when I started the game, it dropped me right into a bike race (which was fun).

The only "long" online one is the 1000 miles in a club. Sitting down and playing through the game you will get this naturally, but it will take some time. As far as I know, it does not require PS+. You just need to be in a club. As long as you have, uhhh, I think 3 people in your club? Maybe just 2? You should be fine. You could probably just start one and randoms might even join. There was one where I had to leave a club and start my own and have people join it to get some trophy because it didn't work. I think it may have been "Teamwork"? I really don't know.

By far most of the trophies are offline, and by far the funnest I had was in the DLC trophies. One of the most enjoyable 100% trophies lists I have ever done.

Last edited:

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
You could probably get a very short PS+ sub. Most of the online stuff you could probably get in a day. The only hard one is actually in driveclub bikes (which has it's own trophy list including a platinum) where you have to come in third place and then record a replay. You can do this with normal cars, but you have to try to start bikes multiplayer and have it fail and move you into cars multiplayer. If you start cars multiplayer it won't work. But if you don't care about driveclub bikes you can probably ignore that, although I can't remember if you can actually avoid getting trophies from the bikes list. Like, when I started the game, it dropped me right into a bike race (which was fun).

The only "long" online one is the 1000 miles in a club. Sitting down and playing through the game you will get this naturally, but it will take some time. As far as I know, it does not require PS+. You just need to be in a club. As long as you have, uhhh, I think 3 people in your club? Maybe just 2? You should be fine. You could probably just start one and randoms might even join. There was one where I had to leave a club and start my own and have people join it to get some trophy because it didn't work. I think it may have been "Teamwork"? I really don't know.

By far most of the trophies are offline, and by far the funnest I had was in the DLC trophies. One of the most enjoyable 100% trophies lists I have ever done.

Thanks for the answer!

I just realized I haven't all the DLC for both Cars and Bikes (I confirm the game drops you in an unskippable Bikes race), so I'm fucked for the 100% on both lists, I thought I have followed everything said in OP. :(

I don't have access to Suzuki, MV Agusta, Finish Line (appears in Cars instead of Bikes), Ignition, Photo-Finish and No Limits.

Sony completly fucked the DLC situation, I'm so mad right now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Counterpoint.... Buying a game just because it's getting delisted is foolish. If you haven't bought it by now, seems like you didn't want it in the first place. They're done supporting it, you didn't care for it in the first place, so why would you give them money? FOMO garbage. If you really wanted it all this time then fine, but just be honest with yourself on this one.

I really don't get this attitude.
"If you haven't watched Star Wars TROS at this point, you probably don't care to watch it or be spoiled"

A lot of people discover things they love years after release. And nobody has time to play everything.

I'm still upset I never bought Outrun 2 on Steam, or Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on PS3.

I bought DC on day 1, great game by the way.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answer!

I just realized I haven't all the DLC for both Cars and Bikes (I confirm the game drops you in an unskippable Bikes race), so I'm fucked for the 100% on both lists, I thought I have followed everything said in OP. :(

I don't have access to Suzuki, MV Agusta, Finish Line (appears in Cars instead of Bikes), Ignition, Photo-Finish and No Limits.

Sony completly fucked the DLC situation, I'm so mad right now.

I did my level best to try to spread the word on what was missing. It really sucks man. Hopefully you can find a friend to share with you (they'd just have to make your console their main temporarily for the duration of your playthrough). Idk. None of those DLCs are super long. They are all a single wall and the final, not two walls and then final like many of the main game's DLCs.

But yeah it's awful. Some DLC just was not listed at all and you had to manually search it. Such a horrible mismanagement. No wonder the game did poorly. Makes me so mad.

In the mean time, go for the online trophies I guess. Because those will be hard limited after March. Whereas it's always possible you could find someone with an account with the DLCs, technically.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
For the record you did a wonderful job Chettlar. I'm fairly sure I got all the DLC thanks to Fahdi's instruction, as well as yours, and even if I didn't I likely got most of it. I can live with that.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
For the record you did a wonderful job Chettlar. I'm fairly sure I got all the DLC thanks to Fahdi's instruction, as well as yours, and even if I didn't I likely got most of it. I can live with that.

Thanks man lol. Had a few people thought I was crazy. Glad I could help some people. The DLC was the best part of 100%ing it for me.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
I did my level best to try to spread the word on what was missing. It really sucks man. Hopefully you can find a friend to share with you (they'd just have to make your console their main temporarily for the duration of your playthrough). Idk. None of those DLCs are super long. They are all a single wall and the final, not two walls and then final like many of the main game's DLCs.

But yeah it's awful. Some DLC just was not listed at all and you had to manually search it. Such a horrible mismanagement. No wonder the game did poorly. Makes me so mad.

In the mean time, go for the online trophies I guess. Because those will be hard limited after March. Whereas it's always possible you could find someone with an account with the DLCs, technically.

What is this friend sharing tip? Anyway, I don't have any friend with all the DLC, I'm not much of a PlayStation player to begin with.

I already started the Online Trophies, immediatly joined a Club and a PSNProfiles session for the Bikes Trophy with 6 players.

First impression from someone playing mostly on PC: the game really needed a Pro patch, it's rough on the edges and I really feel this 30fps limitation (I played a lot of racing games at 1440p/60fps recently). But the first races reminded me of PGR4, a lot, one of my best memories on my 360 days and a pure joy to unlock all achievements. Another great racing game forgotten by its publisher.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
What is this friend sharing tip? Anyway, I don't have any friend with all the DLC, I'm not much of a PlayStation player to begin with.

I already started the Online Trophies, immediatly joined a Club and a PSNProfiles session for the Bikes Trophy with 6 players.

First impression from someone playing mostly on PC: the game really needed a Pro patch, it's rough on the edges and I really feel this 30fps limitation (I played a lot of racing games at 1440p/60fps recently). But the first races reminded me of PGR4, a lot, one of my best memories on my 360 days and a pure joy to unlock all achievements. Another great racing game forgotten by its publisher.

Yup. It's a great game. Even a pro patch to patch up the aliasing would help. Great graphics even today.

Also yeah to share stuff, you'd basically need someone to make your PS4 their primary, and then you can play any content they own. I don't think they have an official game sharing system...as far as I know. But it is a possibility.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
Also yeah to share stuff, you'd basically need someone to make your PS4 their primary, and then you can play any content they own. I don't think they have an official game sharing system...as far as I know. But it is a possibility.

I never knew that. Well, like I said, I don't know anyone who can help with that, so I'm still fucked for the 100% completion.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I never knew that. Well, like I said, I don't know anyone who can help with that, so I'm still fucked for the 100% completion.
The system described is intended for multi-console households. You could buy the game once and you and your kid could both play it on two different consoles in the same house at the same time, which is within the ToS and intended system behavior.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Replaying this in VR.. both VR and non VR versions are just sublime and I still can't believe we never got a sequel.

kingkilium

Oct 28, 2017
My local gamestop still sells the Season Pass, if I buy it will the ps store let me redeem it? I've got a physical copy of the game.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
My local gamestop still sells the Season Pass, if I buy it will the ps store let me redeem it? I've got a physical copy of the game.
Someone of my Driveclub discord server told me that Season Pass doesn't work anymore if you redeem now. Basically you download the stuff but the cars are locked, so you can't play the Season Pass content...

No issues for who has bought it back then, even if you reinstall the game now.
Driveclub Bikes works even today if you buy it (always by the informations I've received).
You can try and see, maybe you waste some money, maybe you have GOAT contents but that's what someone told be about the Season Pass redeem now that the servers are dead.

God, this game got butched hard with the death of the servers... no preservation for one of the best racing game ever made... so sad :'(

Last edited:

kingkilium

Oct 28, 2017
Someone of my Driveclub discord server told me that Season Pass doesn't work anymore if you redeem now. Basically you download the stuff but the cars are locked, so you can't play the Season Pass content...

Driveclub Bikes works even today if you buy it (always by the informations I've received).
You can try and see, maybe you waste some money, maybe you have GOAT contents but that's what someone told be about the Season Pass redeem now that the servers are dead.

Another thing:

You can't earn all stars anymore because ingame face-offs were fully online, even the one tied to the career mode. No more 100% and lack of challenge on some events.
Example: in this race you have to complete 9 face-off

now nothing appear... God, this game got butched hard with the death of the servers... no preservation for one of the best racing game ever made... so sad :'(

Thanks, I will not waste my money then :|

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Assuming the game would be backwards compatible. Would I be able to buy a PS5 and still download Driveclub and it seasonpass. I own it on my PS account but sold my ps4 2,5 years ago.

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Another thing:

You can't earn all stars anymore because ingame face-offs were fully online, even the one tied to the career mode. No more 100% and lack of challenge on some events.

now nothing appear... God, this game got butched hard with the death of the servers... no preservation for one of the best racing game ever made... so sad :'(

Does it? I played a similar challenge from another DLC last night, and I got that star easily - you need less face offs than there are laps (so here you need to do 9 out of 13), and the game gives you "Driveclub"/offline face offs, not other people's ones.

Edit: I recently went back to DC and damn, I forgot how great it is. Trying to finish DLCs I've never played before and it just reminded me why this is my favourite racing game ever 🥰 If only it received Pro/4K patch, it would be even better, but it is what it is, and it still looks amazing.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Went back to this game and it's still amazing! Night time, heavy rain, Scotland end to end race, Legend difficulty....Ariel atom! Holy shit

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this game was basically sabotaged due to Yamauchi's saltiness?
Just going off Digital Foundry's comments in their PS4 reveal retrospective, I hadn't head that one before.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Assuming the game would be backwards compatible. Would I be able to buy a PS5 and still download Driveclub and it seasonpass. I own it on my PS account but sold my ps4 2,5 years ago.
Ideally yes, but tbh I gotta strong feeling this is the exact type of game that they purposely leave room for with a saying like "we expect most will work"

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Went back to this game and it's still amazing! Night time, heavy rain, Scotland end to end race, Legend difficulty....Ariel atom! Holy shit

It's still, and will always be, fucking amazing. Always prayed for a Pro patch because the only thing letting it down is the resolution/IQ. But those weather effects are still god tier.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
It's still, and will always be, fucking amazing. Always prayed for a Pro patch because the only thing letting it down is the resolution/IQ. But those weather effects are still god tier.
Yeah, this was before the rise of TAA in prominence. A few games from that time have IQ issues; Alien: Isolation is another one. We take improvements in IQ as a result of TAA these days for granted.
Anyway It was, and still is a fantastic looking game marred by IQ issues.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Does it? I played a similar challenge from another DLC last night, and I got that star easily - you need less face offs than there are laps (so here you need to do 9 out of 13), and the game gives you "Driveclub"/offline face offs, not other people's ones.

Edit: I recently went back to DC and damn, I forgot how great it is. Trying to finish DLCs I've never played before and it just reminded me why this is my favourite racing game ever 🥰 If only it received Pro/4K patch, it would be even better, but it is what it is, and it still looks amazing.
I have no idea how you got this, for me those Face Off doesn't appear at all, it only say "servers are offline" and nothing is showed. I'm talking about the same challenge of the video.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This game deserved better

This game and Evolution Studios.
I was actually going to write a topic here on why i thought Sony's biggest mistake this gen was closing down this studio and giving up on Drive Club as a franchise so soon.
But then i thought i'd probably get hate answers so i gave up, lmao.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
So this game was basically sabotaged due to Yamauchi's saltiness?
Just going off Digital Foundry's comments in their PS4 reveal retrospective, I hadn't head that one before.

Also saw that but they never said it was "sabotaged" by Kazunori, just that he was not pleased by the competition.

I mean, are you implying that the Driveclub's release shitshow was an inside job by Kazunori? Because that alone killed the game.

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea how you got this, for me those Face Off doesn't appear at all, it only say "servers are offline" and nothing is showed. I'm talking about the same challenge of the video.
Just checked again, and loaded the same challenge as in the video - face offs work, they're offline in the singleplayer campaign. The game just gives you specific face off targets with Driveclub icon instead of some player icon. Same as in the video (it starts here: https://youtu.be/1IWTZPA4i6g?t=66). Just drove a couple of laps in this challenge and got a few face offs while doing so.

Don't mistake it for the regular notification that is there at the beginning of every race, when game tells you it can't connect. Check again, it should work.

This game and Evolution Studios.
I was actually going to write a topic here on why i thought Sony's biggest mistake this gen was closing down this studio and giving up on Drive Club as a franchise so soon.
But then i thought i'd probably get hate answers so i gave up, lmao.
Yep, there are too many people who don't have a good taste, which in itself isn't a problem, but when they come in Driveclub (and Evolution) threads just to say how shit they are, then it's annoying as hell.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Driveclub Bikes works even today if you buy it (always by the informations I've received).I

Another thing:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII had a feeling this would happen.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also saw that but they never said it was "sabotaged" by Kazunori, just that he was not pleased by the competition.

I mean, are you implying that the Driveclub's release shitshow was an inside job by Kazunori? Because that alone killed the game.

Wut?! Never heard about that before. Care to elaborate, since I don't want to watch the video for it (I prefer written pieces).

I'm just going to quote from the video, it's at least ambiguous enough (especially in the context) to be read that way:

Richard: I think Sony did sort of let down Evolution Studios: if you look back at what happened with Forza Horizon, a very similar concept, an offshoot driving game, that's kind of like possibly initially overshadowed by the colossus, which in this case would be Gran Turismo, but you know, get behind the game, invest in the team, [by] the second game, the third game, you look at what Playground have achieved with Forza Horizon it's now eclipsing the original franchise entry. It's amazing.

John: I've heard some rumors there that I guess the Gran Turismo guys weren't too thrilled about this, Yamauchi and everything, he wasn't exactly happy about Driveclub being in development and the quality of the visuals, and you have to remember that Gran Turismo 6 came out in 2013 after PS4 launched, but it launched on PS3. So, you know, compared to what these guys were doing with Driveclub, GT6 looked ancient. So, you know, it's a bit weird.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

You can download everything you claimed before. I tried to make a thread warning people if they got the season pass they needed to still claim the stuff it gives you.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Just checked again, and loaded the same challenge as in the video - face offs work, they're offline in the singleplayer campaign. The game just gives you specific face off targets with Driveclub icon instead of some player icon. Same as in the video (it starts here: https://youtu.be/1IWTZPA4i6g?t=66). Just drove a couple of laps in this challenge and got a few face offs while doing so.

Don't mistake it for the regular notification that is there at the beginning of every race, when game tells you it can't connect. Check again, it should work.
Nope, they doesn't appear at all. They only explanation is that if you have already got the star, those face off doesn't appear anymore, and that should be a normal behavior that I didn't remember was a thing.

So yeah, once you take the face off star they have no reason to shows up again, it must be that.
Sorry everyone for the fake news, I'm going to edit my original post :)

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the code for the driving mechanics is still somewhere for future use, because it was a great blend of arcade/sim.

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this does become Backwards compatible on the PS5.
Also hoping the PS5 has some sort of enhancements to PS4 games (It would be fantastic to play this in 4k!)

This game deserved so much better. :(

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
A Pro update and a "re-launch" with a bit of a marketing push might have made the difference. At that point online services were stable for sure.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to quote from the video, it's at least ambiguous enough (especially in the context) to be read that way:
Although it's conjecture, it really wouldn't surprise me. To not give Evolution another crack at DC after what they were able to build eventually with the first game was an absolutely absurd decision.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Although it's conjecture, it really wouldn't surprise me. To not give Evolution another crack at DC after what they were able to build eventually with the first game was an absolutely absurd decision.

Or keep the talented group in the company.

You know you have a talent set of people when everytime another developer studio or publisher, makes sure to mention "and we have former Evolution employees working on the game" in their game announcements.