• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
It's all good if you've owned the game before, but this is why I don't like the thought of an all digital future. At least with physical copies you have options for sourcing such as Ebay, Brick & Mortar, Craigslist, pawn shops etc.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It's all good if you've owned the game before, but this is why I don't like the thought of an all digital future. At least with physical copies you have options for sourcing such as Ebay, Brick & Mortar, Craigslist, pawn shops etc.
Even then, I have a physical copy of the game (still unopened steelbook because I bought it digitally as well) but what about all the DLC? And the fact the game was vastly improved upon via post-launch patches, but... yeah.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
True, however there aren't many people looking to buy a 5 year old racer on a console near the end of its cycle, nor are publishers expecting to get much revenue from supporting those latecomers.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions:
1. How long does it take to unlock all online Club-exclusive rewards?
2. Is there no Season Pass on Japanese PSN??

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Because they are part of the club rewards online :).

Well right but once you have it why couldn't you drive it? benzy said use, not earn. You can't earn it any more, but why wouldn't you be able to use it?

That's correct. Once you do that, you should have all tours and vehicles available, except for the ones that are unlockables.

Alright. Thank you.

And where do I find all the cars and bikes only unlockable through clubs or whatever?

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a tragedy.

Best racing game all gen for me. A Pro patch could have been amazing.

A PS5 sequel even more amazing.

But, no.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Will I still be able to download it if I already own the game?

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
My favourite racer of all time, absolutely love the physics and tracks. Graphics are still fantastic (would of been great if we got a pro patch!)

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What sony did with this franchising disgute me. I understand it didn't well, but come on, it's a valid game. You don't risk a bankrupt to continue to support it.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The single best racing game of this generation. It was so good in fact that I bought it multiple times, just so I could give people copies if they weren't sure they'd like it.

Those from the old place who I gave a copy to, I hope you're still playing it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I remember looking at reviews when it was first released. Has the game changed much since then?
It's quite different (and improved) now, yes. There have been handling updates, a load of free tracks and cars and competitions, dynamic weather, and requested features like the ability to turn off things like the flags at the side of the track. Much of the common criticism that you see in the release reviews has been addressed in some way.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The single best racing game of this generation. It was so good in fact that I bought it multiple times, just so I could give people copies if they weren't sure they'd like it.

Those from the old place who I gave a copy to, I hope you're still playing it.
You sir (or madam), you're a treasure.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still burned that I accidentally bought a second digital copy of Driveclub when I was trying to buy the Bikes expansion. Support gave me a refund, but both licences were revoked. And the support couldn't help me later...

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Licensing issues are the friggin' worst. Do other media have these kinds of issues?
Yep, for example you'll see movies and TV shows get removed from streaming services like Netflix as well as added.

It does seem to be less of an issue in terms of licensed content within the work itself though. So although movies can get pulled from Netflix because the rights holder doesn't want them there any more, they don't tend to get pulled because they have an Audi in them and the Audi license expired. That's something that movies and other forms of media in general tend to handle better than games.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yep, for example you'll see movies and TV shows get removed from streaming services like Netflix as well as added.

It does seem to be less of an issue in terms of licensed content within the work itself though. So although movies can get pulled from Netflix because the rights holder doesn't want them there any more, they don't tend to get pulled because they have an Audi in them and the Audi license expired. That's something that movies and other forms of media in general tend to handle better than games.

Yeah, I understand streaming licenses and all that, but that's more like having to find the new place the movie/show/what have you is available. Here we've got a game being removed wholesale from digital distribution. It's wild and frustrating to me.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Question, when the PS5 comes out hypothetically and I put in my Driveclub disc, will I also be able to download the DLC I already have?
Right now I'd guess yes. The content will still be there to download, and you'll still be licensed to do that. Nobody's going to be able to give you a definitive answer but based on what we think we know, Driveclub should remain downloadable and playable (offline) for existing owners.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Sony did Evolution dirty IMO. They're talented as fuck, and Motorstorm PS4 would have been a killer app. (Tales from my ass) Still, business is business.

Driveclub to me might be one of the purest racers I've enjoyed. It reminded me of playing MSR and PGR back in the day, just the pure bliss of driving and racing? Hard to explain. There was a lot of hysteria around the online problems, and I feel like they took the brunt of the toxicity that surrounds games these days.

What a shame.

Nothing against Evolution personally, but I feel with a year delay and still releasing in the state it did, it wasn't Sony that did them dirty. They are talented, though.

That's what's sad about DriveClub's story. First, I'm not a big racing guy, but even the gentleman who introduced it during the Playstation Meeting got me a bit excited because he was so into what he was showing; he was the perfect guy to introduce a new racing IP. They had the right idea for this generation: a more social game, a game as a service that's continually supported and updated, a fresh idea.

I think part of the issue it had was that it was hard to describe what it was. I know there are probably big fans of the game who may disagree, but even as someone who read about it, I had trouble describing the game's hook and what a club was. And I usually understand this kind of stuff.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
They don't want Driveclub then because it is not an arcade racer.

The game is not a Sim in anyway shape or form. Its an honest arcade racer that has good enough realism put into it. The only other franchise that this reminds me of in regards to "in-between" is Ace Combat and thats for Jet Fighters. You can refute this but since Ive spent countless hours platinuming serveral racers including DC. This game is on a category of its own like PGR. There's nothing like them.

Last edited:

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just noticed that the season pass is now only € 2,59. Easy purchase. Now I'll have to see what is not in the season pass, in if it's worth buying yes or no.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two questions:
1. How long does it take to unlock all online Club-exclusive rewards?

Well right but once you have it why couldn't you drive it? benzy said use, not earn. You can't earn it any more, but why wouldn't you be able to use it?
The game checks for your Club Level everytime you play which you only have when you are connected. So if you leave your club or can't connect, you can't drive those cars.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is not a Sim in anyway shape or form. Its an honest arcade racer that has good enough realism put into it. The only other franchise that this reminds me of in regards to "in-between" is Ace Combat and thats for Jet Fighters. You can refute this but since Ive spent countless hours platinuming serveral racers including DC. This game is on a category of its own.
It's heavily a sim. If you drive like an arcade racer you lose points and get your speed limited as punishment. Is nothing arcade about it.

If it's meant to be an arcade racer then it's the shittiest one ever made.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
The game checks for your Club Level everytime you play which you only have when you are connected. So if you leave your club or can't connect, you can't drive those cars.

Someone might wanna test this with a level 15 club if this is correct because losing the BAC Mono and Pagani Zonda R is gonna seriously hurt my heart. I have a level 50 club with a second account but my game isnt downloaded. I was under the impression that once youve unlocked the cars they stay in your save because this would be fucked!

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
And where do I find all the cars and bikes only unlockable through clubs or whatever?

Club cars are part of the base game and you gain access to them once you're a member of a club with a high enough club level (i forgot what level the individual cars unlock at). You can do that by joining someone who has a free spot in their club, or alternatively, open your own club and gain the necessary levels, which isn't hard if you're just playing through the campaigns.

The unlockable DLC vehicles with optional payable shortcuts are the following:

- Ferrari LaFerrari
- Renault R.S. 01
- Mercedes-AMG S65 Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG GT3
- KTM 1290 R ABS (free bike for everyone, not just DC Bikes owners)

IIRC, all these vehicles will be visible in the vehicle menu, with a description of how to unlock them.

Last but not least, there is also the Aprilia RSV4 RF ABS Bike, which is als free and works even if you don't own DC Bikes, so grab that as well.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
It's heavily a sim. If you drive like an arcade racer you lose points and get your speed limited as punishment. Is nothing arcade about it.

If it's meant to be an arcade racer then it's the shittiest one ever made.

Arcade racers don't have specifics on them. Need for Speed games are Arcade racers. This game is a hybrid or simcade. Have you ever played Car Sims?

Last edited:

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that the season pass is now only € 2,59. Easy purchase. Now I'll have to see what is not in the season pass, in if it's worth buying yes or no.

That's an amazing price for the season pass!
As for what was released outside of it, once again quoting myself:

The following 4 Expansions/Tours (including the 2 bike tours) have been released long after the season pass has expired and are thus not part of it:

- No Limits Expansion Pack
- Finish Line Expansion Pack
- Suzuki Expansion Pack (DC Bikes)
- MV Agusta Expansion Pack (DC Bikes)

Then there's DC Bikes, which is a standalone expansion and can be upgraded to at a lower price, if you already have the main game. It also got a free tour (EBR Tour) and a purchasable livery pack.

Everything else was either free (like the Ignition, Photo-Finish, All Stars, and AMG Expansion Packs and more than a dozen additional cars) or part of the season pass.

Also, there are a few cars and a bike that will remain purchasable, despite owning the season pass. The purchasing options on these are just shortcuts and you can unlock all of them by playing the game, so don't waste your money. These vehicles are:

- Ferrari LaFerrari
- Renault R.S. 01
- Mercedes-AMG S65 Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG GT3
- KTM 1290 R ABS (free bike for everyone, not just DC Bikes owners)

The Aprilia RSV4 RF ABS Bike is also free and works even if you don't own DC Bikes, so grab that as well.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Someone might wanna test this with a level 15 club if this is correct because losing the BAC Mono and Pagani Zonda R is gonna seriously hurt my heart. I have a level 50 club with a second account but my game isnt downloaded. I was under the impression that once youve unlocked the cars they stay in your save because this would be fucked!
Those club cars will be locked once the servers are down. Rushy confirmed it on Twitter some time ago.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arcade racers don't have specifics on them. Need for Speed games are Arcade racers. This game is a hybrid or simcade. Have you ever played Car Sims?
Need for Speed games don't play like Driveclub. The limits and punishments it have are in opposition to arcade racer gameplay. You can't cut corners without punishment, you cannot even touch other cars without punishment, you are instead encouraged and rewarded for driving as realistically as you can.

It's a sim, just without the depth of tweaking engines and stuff like GT has.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh FUCK!

Wait... is this after unlocking them?
Found the Twitter reply. My bad its not a 100% confirmation from him, but if the club cars are unusable offline now, then it will probably be the same case once the servers go down.

I can't test this for myself for now as I am away from home, but off the top of my head I remember that club cars are indeed locked in offline mode, because the club data is stored on the servers, not locally.