• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I hear this is hard. So hard that Co-op with good friends is recommended. I'm an old gamer dad who doesn't have a lot of ability to group up. Can this be enjoyed solo? Is it hard akin to Souls games? I revel in those...
It's definitely doable on normal for most people I'd imagine. Though even if you don't want to group up for your playthough, joining somebody elses game will help you get valuable trait points and upgrade materials as well as some items that may not be obtainable in your playthrough. I'd recommend doing that a bit if you have the time.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're 10+ hours in and have only found one side-dungeon, I'm going to assume that you've missed a lot of 'em. I think you can expect roughly 4 or 5 bonus dungeons/special events per Biome.
If you're in the third Biome, you've potentially missed 7 or more bonus dungeons/special events. Just from the first two Biomes. Possibly more depending on how far you are in the third.

Note that exits (of all kinds) are marked with a red icon on your full and mini-maps. The icon is perhaps easy to confuse with crystal/checkpoint icons (since they're both a reddish color). But I'd probably run through the first two Biomes again and hit up any exits you may have missed. Also be sure to fill in any blank spaces of the Biome maps to make sure you actually FOUND the extra exits. You can enter a dungeon and (probably) know if you cleared it already by opening up your map as soon as you enter it. If the map is fully filled in, you can probably just skip it and move on. Maybe take a look at the dungeon's map and see if you have one or more checkpoints and two exits (one being the entrance) marked on the map, just to be extra sure that you actually finished it and didn't bail out early.

Edit - Finally, the game really is like Dark Souls in some respects. You can take your starter gear to +20 and clear the entire game that way. The Repeater Pistol and Hunter Rifle are surprisingly good. As is the Shotgun. The SMG found under Ward-13 is also pretty amazing for charging up weapon mods, but is obviuosly useless at range (and chews through ammo like you wouldn't believe). Boss weapons can be really awesome, but pretty much all of them have fixed, unremovable weapon mods. Thing is, some of the non-boss mods are pretty damn amazing, which requires that you use non-boss weapons to equip. I wouldn't get TOO hung up on using a full loadout of boss weapons.

Well... it was a guess. I'm not sure. I had mutiple maps with multiple exits and did all of them. Except one thing, where I had to insert something into a... ehm... "thing".... a cube thingy that I haven't found. Since the map doesn't tell you were you are or how the area is named, I'm not sure how many optional dungeons I found... or how they are defined at all since every map is a instance/dungeon after all. And yeah, I don't mind my weapons. They feel great. But to loot something is always nice (except scrap)... especially armor. :)

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Most (but not all) critical path and world-end bosses have alternate kill methods that drop alternate loot. Note that regular kills/loot and alternate kills/loot are mutually exclusive. So if you want all drops, you will have to fight these bosses at least as many times as they have drops. Co-op is fine for this, though there's no guarantee that the host is going to be chasing (or even be aware of) alt. kills.
Wait, what? Where is that SMG? I went down there and only found the trait. I have to say I think it's really cool that the game genuinely hides items. There's a real sense of discovery in some of the stuff that's squirreled away in nooks and crannies.

Also, as far as co-op, I really like jumping into other games (and I love that the proc gen rewards it - great idea), but I VASTLY prefer playing my own world solo. There's a really special, almost survival horror tension to playing the game solo. It feels like a Resident Evil RPG. When other people come in, it starts feeling like a more typical shooter RPG.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Well... it was a guess. I'm not sure. I had mutiple maps with multiple exits and did all of them. Except one thing, were I had to insert something into a... ehm... "thing".... a cube thingy that I did not found. Since the map doesn't tell you were you are or how the area is named, I'm not sure how many optional dungeons I found or how they are defined at all since every map is a instance/dungeon after all. And yeah, I don't mind my weapons. They feel great. But to loot something is always nice (except scrap)... especially armor. :)

Hmmm, the mini-map (and I'm pretty sure the full map) do show where you are on the map. It'll even show your co-op partners.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? Where is that SMG? I went down there and only found the trait. I have to say I think it's really cool that the game genuinely hides items. There's a real sense of discovery in some of the stuff that's squirreled away in nooks and crannies.

IIRC, you need the Ward-13 Keycard from the Founder's Office and the Fuse from... B2, I think? It's been a while.
You need to use the Fuse to power the lowest floor and use the Keycard (again) to open that door.
Then you need to turn OFF the power (from the same fusebox) in order to kill power to the rotating blades of the ventilation shaft on the lowest level. Go through the now open ventilation shaft to find the SMG. They did a nice job hiding this one, IMO.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
IIRC, you need the Ward-13 Keycard from the Founder's Office and the Fuse from... B2, I think? It's been a while.
You need to use the Fuse to power the lowest floor and use the Keycard (again) to open that door.
Then you need to turn OFF the power (from the same fusebox) in order to kill power to the rotating blades of the ventilation shaft on the lowest level. Go through the now open ventilation shaft to find the SMG. They did a nice job hiding this one, IMO.
Woah, cool. I went down there, but I didn't think of turning the power back off. That's a good one.

Jan 10, 2019
I've been playing this for two days now, really enjoying it. Did run into my first couple of blue screens earlier though, as well as a few freezes... Nonetheless, having fun!

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, the mini-map (and I'm pretty sure the full map) do show where you are on the map. It'll even show your co-op partners.

What I meant is, if I open the map, I neither see the name of the area I'm in, I don't see where the exits (even after using them) lead, I can't switch to the areas behind those exists, etc. Currently I'm in a zone where the checkpoint says "Leave dungeon"... so is this a instanced dungeon then, or is it just a normal instanced area?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, cool. I went down there, but I didn't think of turning the power back off. That's a good one.

Yup, I was delighted when I discovered it. I went down there with the power on, like most would, and found the Elder Knowledge trait. You can see a very obvious path beyond the spinning fan blades, but I couldn't find a long way around, so I gave up. On the way back up, I noticed I could still interact with the fusebox, had an AHA! moment, flipped the power off, and yup, was able to explore the side tunnel and get the SMG. Felt great.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
What I meant is, if I open the map, I neither see the name of the area I'm in, I don't see where the exits (even after using them) lead, I can't switch to the areas behind those exists, etc. Currently I'm in a zone where the checkpoint says "Leave dungeon"... so is this a instanced dungeon then, or is it just a normal instanced area?

Yeah, I wish the map was more informative. But, as I said, so long as you fill in all the blank areas of the (main Biome) maps and at least enter all of the available exits and see if THOSE maps are filled in, you should be able to easily determine if you're in a dungeon you skipped or not.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Just started the game this afternoon and just to see if what I did is a sidequest or small dungeon,I will spoiler what happened

First time I went outsideI got a message to find the Metro entrance,further down the area,I saw a orange glow and descended in there and after talking to a guy named the Mad Merchant,I had to fight him and got his mask after defeating him...there was a passage stone right in there and I saw a leave the dungeon or travel window at that rest stone...I did not do leave dungeon but travelled back to Ward 13...The game still tells me to find the Metro entrance...is that a sidequest/random thing or everyone gets that...?

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Just started the game this afternoon and just to see if what I did is a sidequest or small dungeon,I will spoiler what happened

First time I went outsideI got a message to find the Metro entrance,further down the area,I saw a orange glow and descended in there and after talking to a guy named the Mad Merchant,I had to fight him and got his mask after defeating him...there was a passage stone right in there and I saw a leave the dungeon or travel window at that rest stone...I did not do leave dungeon but travelled back to Ward 13...The game still tells me to find the Metro entrance...is that a sidequest/random thing or everyone gets that...?
That's a sidequest, which also connects to another thing later. I didn't get that in my world, but got a different alternate dungeon in the same place that got me an accessory.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
For quest items, if you're in another player's session helping out in co-op, and pick up such quest items, you'll have them only while you remain in that player's world. If you pop back into your own world, you WILL lose the quest items. That said, if you continue playing with that host and go on to cash in said quest items for their relevant rewards, you will GET and KEEP the loot rewards, but will NOT get the trophies/achievements associated with them. (Ditto for boss kills). Bosses and quests have to be done as host (or in solo play) for the trophies/achievements to pop.

So you can't loot a Strange Coin or Monkey Key from another's world and bring them into your world to local quest completion. (And in the case of the Monkey Key, you may not even have that dungeon in your world, as it's one of the RNG events).
Thank you. Do you know if someone already has the coin and then I join their world if I will get the magnum when they turn it in? Im guessing not?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. Do you know if someone already has the coin and then I join their world if I will get the magnum when they turn it in? Im guessing not?

You will. One of the first things I check when I zone into another host's world is the quest item section of the inventory.
Then it's hoping they actually take us back to the hub at some point before our sessions ends.
Anyone in the instance can talk to Ace to give her the Strange Coin, and everyone will get the XP and gun (or XP and scrap if you already have the gun).
Ditto with Reggie and his Tarnished Ring. Etc. You just need to be there for the turn-in.
You just can't take the quest item back with you to your own world once the session ends, regardless of whether or not you were in the session with the quest item got looted.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
You will. One of the first things I check when I zone into another host's world is the quest item section of the inventory.
Then it's hoping they actually take us back to the hub at some point before our sessions ends.
Anyone in the instance can talk to Ace to give her the Strange Coin, and everyone will get the XP and gun (or XP and scrap if you already have the gun).
Ditto with Reggie and his Tarnished Ring. Etc. You just need to be there for the turn-in.
You just can't take the quest item back with you to your own world once the session ends, regardless of whether or not you were in the session with the quest item got looted.
Oh nice. I dont care about taking it back but since im having no luck with randoms and dont want to reroll my character at this point, I was thinking of using my sons ps4 to run a new character.from there if I find the items I can join with my charter before I claim/pick up weapons with the alt character.
Not sure if its worth the effort but if all else fails I know its an option.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice. I dont care about taking it back but since im having no luck with randoms and dont want to reroll my character at this point, I was thinking of using my sons ps4 to run a new character.from there if I find the items I can join with my charter before I claim/pick up weapons with the alt character.
Not sure if its worth the effort but if all else fails I know its an option.

Yup. Just join up before turning in a quest item or looting an optional dungeon's weapon/whatever.
I was playing with two folks from Era the other night (separately), and both were missing the Monkey Key / Assault Rifle dungeon in their games.
I had my game saved at the final crystal right before looting the Assault Rifle and waited until the next day, when both were available to join my game, before opening the door and looting the weapon. In the interim, I engaged in jolly co-op and just didn't progress my own game at all.
Both happily got the gun alongside me. It was great.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I forget but what counts as a "new area" again as far as level scaling goes? Is it each zone (Earth, rhom, etc)??

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this last boss a fucking joke? I think I'm done banging my head against it. Way too much a war of attrition for me and the time commitment is just too much. I think I'm done playing at this point.

Hilarious how I tried to open up my game to the public and had 10 people in a row nope right the fuck out when they saw I was at the last boss.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Is this last boss a fucking joke? I think I'm done banging my head against it. Way too much a war of attrition for me and the time commitment is just too much. I think I'm done playing at this point.

Hilarious how I tried to open up my game to the public and had 10 people in a row nope right the fuck out when they saw I was at the last boss.

The boss is getting a major retuning in the next patch. They're ditching a lot of the RNG behind the boss' DPS mechanics in order to make it way more consistent. Details have been posted repeatedly in this thread, further up or one or two pages back. But long story short, they're going to give it more health, but make it WAY easier to stagger (and give you a consistent 30 or so seconds to get the stagger) so that you can see those fun, huge DPS numbers crank out. Not sure if there's an ETA on this patch, though.

Currently, you need to build up a DPS buff stack of 10+ by getting kills in the nether realm (1 stack for normal mobs, 3 stacks for each elite you kill), and upon exiting the nether realm, have a random 15 - 30 seconds to do a 10+% of its overall health in damage to cause a stagger. They're doubling his health, fixing the DPS window to 30 or so seconds (eliminating that RNG element entirely), and reducing the damage requirement to 3.5% of its new max health (so 7% overall) to cause the stagger. Should make for a way more manageable and consistent fight. Right now, it's the 15-30 second window that's the real bullshit. The 10% is manageable at 30 seconds, but stupidly difficult to hit if you only have 15 seconds.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The boss is getting a major retuning in the next patch. They're ditching a lot of the RNG behind the boss' DPS mechanics in order to make it way more consistent. Details have been posted repeatedly in this thread, further up or one or two pages back. But long story short, they're going to give it more health, but make it WAY easier to stagger (and give you a consistent 30 or so seconds to get the stagger) so that you can see those fun, huge DPS numbers crank out. Not sure if there's an ETA on this patch, though.

I guess I'll keep it installed for now, then. Overall, I really like the pure combat mechanics in this game and how it feels to play, but man, a lot of the design decisions are just frustrating. Feels like such wasted potential, but hopefully they can take what they learned and knock it out of the park for a sequel that actually has some decent level design, doesn't rely on RNG for so much, doesn't have broken scaling (seriously, the other day I upgraded my gear and certain mobs that took one shot to kill were suddenly taking two), and has interesting bosses that don't always fall back and just spamming you with adds.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll keep it installed for now, then. Overall, I really like the pure combat mechanics in this game and how it feels to play, but man, a lot of the design decisions are just frustrating. Feels like such wasted potential, but hopefully they can take what they learned and knock it out of the park for a sequel that actually has some decent level design, doesn't rely on RNG for so much, doesn't have broken scaling (seriously, the other day I upgraded my gear and certain mobs that took one shot to kill were suddenly taking two), and has interesting bosses that don't always fall back and just spamming you with adds.

I think the game is a great foundation, but yeah, I feel like it's only going to improve from here.
As for the last boss, I feel like they were trying to create an almost Destiny-like raid boss experience.
They got a little tied up in the details, but it sounds like they're ironing them out.
It's a great fight on paper (and the changes they've detailed sound even better), but the execution isn't quite there yet.
Hopefully the next patch lands soon and a potentially great final boss becomes an actually great final boss.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I'll definitely second the frustrations over the final boss. I was playing at a great clip tonight, beat most of the last area with none of the bosses taking more than an attempt or two leading up to it. Enter the final boss, who is massively unfun and basically combines all the worst aspects of the game's boss fights. Now instead of just adds, you constantly take damage. The main boss takes no damage and is a literal health sponge unless you kill enough dudes in the health-draining dimension, where upon leaving you may just be treated to a bunch of fireballs to the face that will likely kill because you now have no health. My favorite part of any game is where I'm forced to lose health to fit the confines of an awkwardly designed boss.

I liked this game quite a bit too, but the final boss is easily the worst from what I've played so far. Gunfire really botched the landing of a game I otherwise had a really good time with.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I suppose you are right, though I'm pretty sure I went EVERYWHERE in the swamp...I usually walk the edges of the map, especially if you fill in the shadows of a map. Super strange that I saw no NPCs in the swamp then.

The checkpoint you warp to is called The Elf Queen. If you warp there, she might even show up as a blue dot on your minimap right when you get there. Regardless, she should be extremely close unless your game is bugged out and she doesn't exist.

Ok, I already thought I missed some things. Will take a look, thanks!

And yeah, I already was in one side-dungeon I guess and bought the other starting classes armor.

If you warp to areas you've already been to and bring up the map, it should be fairly easy to notice any parts of the map you may have missed. Areas you've been to will be lit up while unexplored areas will still be dark. It's very possible you've missed some side dungeons.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The last boss is hardly add spam. There are adds, but they're actually (mostly) integral to the fight, and they're far from overwhelming in my experience.

The issues with the last boss seem to be either glitches or attritional battle, which isn't so fun.

I get why some don't like adds, and on some fights it's very aggravating at times, but I don't think they're innately bad as a tool to force the player to move, think and react.

I strongly recommend the beam rifle for the fight, also. When stacked/the boss is vulnerable it does insane damage, for a long time before reload. Aim at the head and go to town.

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I am loving the

Bandit armor combined with Ruin.

I can pump rounds into bosses for a good chunk of time before being forced to reload.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
The last boss is hardly add spam. There are adds, but they're actually (mostly) integral to the fight, and they're far from overwhelming in my experience.

The issues with the last boss seem to be either glitches or attritional battle, which isn't so fun.

I get why some don't like adds, and on some fights it's very aggravating at times, but I don't think they're innately bad as a tool to force the player to move, think and react.

I strongly recommend the beam rifle for the fight, also. When stacked/the boss is vulnerable it does insane damage, for a long time before reload. Aim at the head and go to town.

My issues with the last boss aren't adds, it's basically everything else. And the adds only matter because they designed it like that, the final fight is just a war of attrition that you can eventually just lose because you are forced to lose health, my actual issue with it. It's not very well signposted what you're supposed to be doing and fighting the boss itself isn't fun because it barely does anything except shoot fireballs. And when the best recommendation someone can give for the final fight is to just change my loadout (not something the game makes feasible throughout the game, given the amount of resources required to upgrade weapons higher levels) that isn't a ringing endorsement of the game either. I've rocked the pistol and the Sporebloom most of the game and this is the first fight where it feels like my loadout isn't viable.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
Any advice..

I'm stuck on Rhom faced by either the fiery gate or the only unexplored exit, which is up a shelf I can't reach.

Tell a lie, I've got the wastes to explore, panic over.

Oct 27, 2017
Any advice..

I'm stuck on Rhom faced by either the fiery gate or the only unexplored exit, which is up a shelf I can't reach.

Tell a lie, I've got the wastes to explore, panic over.
Keep exploring as sometimes when you go through dungeons and then defeat a boss it opens up unexplored regions of the map that will circle back eventually. You need to acquire the Howling(?) Key to get past the "fiery gate" which you will get from a boss encounter.

I know what "shelf" you are talking about, you will actually come from that area and drop back down so, yeah, you need to explore the other areas more as you likely missed a dungeon.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
My issues with the last boss aren't adds, it's basically everything else. And the adds only matter because they designed it like that, the final fight is just a war of attrition that you can eventually just lose because you are forced to lose health, my actual issue with it. It's not very well signposted what you're supposed to be doing and fighting the boss itself isn't fun because it barely does anything except shoot fireballs. And when the best recommendation someone can give for the final fight is to just change my loadout (not something the game makes feasible throughout the game, given the amount of resources required to upgrade weapons higher levels) that isn't a ringing endorsement of the game either. I've rocked the pistol and the Sporebloom most of the game and this is the first fight where it feels like my loadout isn't viable.

Oh I agree. I have read that the last boss has certain abilities, but I have never seen them. I think it can often be glitched.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
back from my vacation and im completely lost. might just start over...quick question, does the map stay revealed if you return to an area that youve already gone through?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
back from my vacation and im completely lost. might just start over...quick question, does the map stay revealed if you return to an area that youve already gone through?

For your world, yes.
For a world you explore with another host in co-op, no. Hell, if you disconnect from a host and immediately re-join, map data is still wiped.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up purchasing the game again after refunding it on Steam. I keep having this urge to play it again even though I refunded it sorta out of anger. This time I'm going to stick with it and use the Discord channel to try to meet up with new players. I hate using Discord as a means for matchmaking but I'm enjoying the combat in this game too much not to.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up purchasing the game again after refunding it on Steam. I keep having this urge to play it again even though I refunded it sorta out of anger. This time I'm going to stick with it and use the Discord channel to try to meet up with new players. I hate using Discord as a means for matchmaking but I'm enjoying the combat in this game too much not to.

Just a friendly reminder (for those of you new to the thread or unfamiliar with Threadmarks), that we have a Google Sheet set up PS4, XBO, and PC users.
Please feel free to add your details to the relevant tab, and send out friend requests to folks that have already added in their info.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just a friendly reminder (for those of you new to the thread or unfamiliar with Threadmarks), that we have a Google Sheet set up PS4, XBO, and PC users.
Please feel free to add your details to the relevant tab, and send out friend requests to folks that have already added in their info.

[Hidden content]

Added myself. Thanks!

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this today. The game really does scratch that shoot and loot itch with fast paced combat encounters that are fun with friends. I am curious if they decide to add anything later to it.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing this today. The game really does scratch that shoot and loot itch with fast paced combat encounters that are fun with friends. I am curious if they decide to add anything later to it.

Next big addition will be an Adventure Mode. A kind of streamlined, story-free run through existing Biomes for fun and loot.
They eventually plan to add new Biomes to Adventure Mode. Both of these are confirmed pipeline content updates.
Not sure if we're getting any story DLC expansions or not, but we can hope.
I'd like to think they wouldn't go through all the effort of developing new Biomes, dungeons, bosses, and loot, and not wrap a story around 'em.
We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
They have said they will continue to support this game and add, biomes, weapons, armor for as long as the community is interested. I'm hoping we have a new Warframe/Path of Exile on our hands cause i love how those games are run but this is the combat style i have always wanted.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys I'm sorta lost in remnant. I'm in Concourse of the Sun dungeon. I fought off a wave of enemies and obtained a beam rifle. But, where do I go from here?

Oct 27, 2017
The Beam Rifle is easily the most efficient weapon in the game for me, just an amazing weapon really. That said, I think I had more fun just using the Coach Gun as it taught me the ins and outs of survival in this game with a combination of two powerful shots followed by the roll mechanic...rinse and repeat. Now I mainly just use the Beam Rifle and the Swarm mod and everything dies.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The character creator seems pretty cool, but then you can't see your character? Sad.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean?

Of course you can see your character, it's a third person shooter. I'm confused lol

Once you're in an armour set they all look the same. I can't see their face. I looked for an option to hide helmets but can't find one. Is there such an option? Please point me in the right direction if so.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaah that!

Yeah, you're right. I think they'll add that option later, many players are asking.

Yeah it's a huge shame because I felt like I made some really cool looking characters and I think seeing their faces would add a lot more personality to the game. I think being able to see the humans behind the masks is really key to selling a desolate post-apocalyptic style setting, else it just ends up feeling as though your playing some superhero style character etc.

Really hope they adjust, as it seems it would be a simple change.