• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
What weapon are you using? You really need to able to clear from a solid distance when possible unless you want to get swarmed.

I tried a few combinations but what I think works best for me for now is the Beam Rifle,with the Skull mod on it, at 13 for now and the Spitfire at 4.I have the Crossbow but having to reload at every shot is dumb and the others like Defiler and Particle Acc. are too low for now and I cant uograde them anyway because I barely find any Hardened Iron plus not enough scrap...on my friends session we are blocked there(first part of Corsus)but on mine I made it to XILLis something but meh,another frustrating Boss fight.

Saw a lot of tips in here on him so I will look at those but you know they added the always favorite fall to your death so that you cant get revived trick in this fight so yeah...also what does the Catalyst trait do...? it says increases chance to PROC? status effect on ennemies...

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
If there are any scenarios like this anyone thinks is too extreme combat-balance-wise, let me know.

If you can describe it in as much detail as possible, I'll run some tests and see what I can do. I'd like to make videos one way or another examining what's going on.

The very first area in Corsus the frequency of the Elite Summoners is too high...usually when you hear the high pitch sound of an Elite popping you have time and then some to kill it and you have up to 5 minutes at least before another one pops...in Corsus,those Elites pop 10 seconds from each other,so you are caught with them,the 4 regular monsters they summon,plus the little larva that runs away after you kill the summoner that you have to kill otherwise they resurrect...we had a party of 3,with skulls,swarms and the little ball guys going,2 of each of those but we all died after a while because we couldnt kill those 3 Summoners that popped within 10 seconds of each other...this as to be a glitch,its just crazy.

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure that's a glitch. I've definitely had (and easily handled) a duo of Elite larva-head summoners when playing solo.
Mob density does increase when you're playing with one or two other players.
Obviously only the devs know if it's intended or not, but if I can roll an area with two while playing solo, I wouldn't be surprised if three can roll with two players, and perhaps even four with three players.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Does kills in adventure mode count towards getting the sleight of hand trait? I wish there was a tracker for this, it's rather annoying.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Does kills in adventure mode count towards getting the sleight of hand trait? I wish there was a tracker for this, it's rather annoying.

Would imagine so. I was questioning if online co-op (not as a host) was counting, but as it turns out, it did! For me, at least.
I'd expect Adventure Mode to count for everything. And I can definitely confirm that it counts for boss kills, as that's how I got my second Yaesha world boss trophy (and platinum), last week.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
so i started a nightmare game, first boss is gorefist, pink puff things one shot me. am i under-geared? not enough of X stat? or is that just par for the course for adds in boss fights on this difficulty? thats a little ridiculous.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
About the Assault Rifle...I read its in a different layout somewhere on Earth in a small dungeon.You have to kill an Elite in said dungeon that will drop the monkey key to open the door...I want to know if it's in everyone's first playthrough but somewhere different on Earth or if its possible you dont find it at all the first time and you need to do Adventure mode over and over...? I just cant find that dungeon in my game.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
About the Assault Rifle...I read its in a different layout somewhere on Earth in a small dungeon.You have to kill an Elite in said dungeon that will drop the monkey key to open the door...I want to know if it's in everyone's first playthrough but somewhere different on Earth or if its possible you dont find it all the first time and you need to do Adventure mode over and over...? I just cant find that dungeon in my game.

Have still never seen this encounter!

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
About the Assault Rifle...I read its in a different layout somewhere on Earth in a small dungeon.You have to kill an Elite in said dungeon that will drop the monkey key to open the door...I want to know if it's in everyone's first playthrough but somewhere different on Earth or if its possible you dont find it all the first time and you need to do Adventure mode over and over...? I just cant find that dungeon in my game.

I had to do adventure mode to see it, but only once. Luck of the draw probably. I'm pretty thorough when exploring the map so I'm pretty confident it wasn't there on my initial world state. The gun is pretty good, I enjoy using it but always go back to the Particle Accelerator because it's the bossest of boss weapons that I've found.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Assault Rifle is an RNG event. If your world spawns with a Monkey Key, then the Assault Rifle dungeon is guaranteed.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
so i started a nightmare game, first boss is gorefist, pink puff things one shot me. am i under-geared? not enough of X stat? or is that just par for the course for adds in boss fights on this difficulty? thats a little ridiculous.

Nightmare is meant for NG+ so if you started a new game the damage isn't surprising.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips guys.Ooof we finally progressed in my friends game past the initial Corsus map...that one is crazy hard because of those summoners but we made it..a 3rd guy joined in and I am pretty sure is on a reroll campaign or farther then us because I think he had the Undying King hat...speaking of this,spoiler in case for a story recommendation:

Once I get the Beast Heart which is the best way to go...? give it to the Swamp Queen or the King...? and which is easier..? we might do Queen in mine and King in my friends game.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips guys.Ooof we finally progressed in my friends game past the initial Corsus map...that one is crazy hard because of those summoners but we made it..a 3rd guy joined in and I am pretty sure is on a reroll campaign or farther then us because I think he had the Undying King hat...speaking of this,spoiler in case for a story recommendation:

Once I get the Beast Heart which is the best way to go...? give it to the Swamp Queen or the King...? and which is easier..? we might do Queen in mine and King in my friends game.

Giving it to the King is easier by avoiding a fight (and nets you a trophy/achievement and a pretty good melee weapon). Giving it to the queen nets you a complete armor set and requires an additional fight (which nets you a unique Trait and an even better weapon, IMO. My go-to long gun for most of my solo play, actually). Absolutely pursue both, however. By the end, I was rocking +10 versions of both weapons in my main solo loadout. (+10 is as high as boss weapons go).

And good job clearing that roadblock on Corsus. Knew you had it in you. :)

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Nightmare is meant for NG+ so if you started a new game the damage isn't surprising.
i finished a run on normal, then moved onto hard, then during that hard run i got to dreamer and didnt want to bother and then re-rolled into nightmare. so ive got upgraded gear/weapons and traits from 2 (almost) full playthroughs. i want a harder difficulty than hard, but that one shot from the pink mobs is a bit much imo. two hits from the pink mobs or a one shot from boss would seem fair. but if thats nightmare, oh well. i already re-rolled and just doing hard again :/

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Should be the Leto Dungeon that can spawn on Earth, IIRC.
2GB seems like a lot for a new dungeon.
Might have to check it out, even though I kind of finished with the game last week!

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i just re-rolled yesterday, still early in the game. do i need to get to a certain point to access the new content? new location isnt available to travel too.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that the new dungeon is a random Earth event, not a guaranteed one.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that the new dungeon is a random Earth event, not a guaranteed one.

Which is a little weird since its like a free update,I mean they could of made it available for everyone in their first playthrough,add a conversation with someone in Ward 13 that tells you where to go...went to all my places on Earth and its not there...personnaly,there is no way I am rerollin this game lol..I am close to 40 hours and stuck at the Corsus world Boss,havent seen the 4th World yet.Adventure Mode is fine and all but you still need to do all the Bosses and I am not even sure if it saves your checkpoints or Stones because I get what I got already so far so I just quit and try again.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Which is a little weird since its like a free update,I mean they could of made it available for everyone in their first playthrough,add a conversation with someone in Ward 13 that tells you where to go...went to all my places on Earth and its not there...personnaly,there is no way I am rerollin this game lol..I am close to 40 hours and stuck at the Corsus world Boss,havent seen the 4th World yet.Adventure Mode is fine and all but you still need to do all the Bosses and I am not even sure if it saves your checkpoints or Stones because I get what I got already so far so I just quit and try again.

I only did one Adventure Mode, and it was of the game's final biome. It was quite a bit shorter than the actual campaign version. Thankfully, I only needed one attempt to get the alternate world boss trophy and subsequent platinum.

Adventure Mode exists outside your campaign and doesn't affect it at all. You take all your loot and traits and levels when you spin up an Adventure, keep everything you gain from it, and then exit back into your own campaign, picking up where you left off. Or spin up another Adventure, if you so desire.

I only have a sample size of one to judge, but not only did it strip out all the story stuff, it seemed to condense and streamline the biome. I feel like Adventures were designed to be run quickly in a single session.

Probably a great way to hit up anything you missed or simply didn't roll in your campaign versions of Earth, Rhom, and Yaesha. Corsus isn't currently included in Adventure Mode because the biome is too short and bereft of content. They plan to remedy that and eventually add Corsus as an option.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't really going to, because I'm in the middle of another game at the moment, but I figured I'd give it exactly one shot.

So I updated the game, spun up an Earth Adventure, and lucked out. My second dungeon was Leto's Lab.

Solid slice of content. It felt like two dungeons put together, and I found two side-areas that netted me extra loot. One had the ultra-heavy Leto Armor set, and another held 3 Lumanite Crystals. Not bad!

The main path saw me collect a Tome of Knowledge, a duplicate Gunslinger's Charm, and a Simulacrum! I'm tempted to continue the Earth Adventure to see if this is in addition to Earth's regular Simulacrum, but I doubt it.

Lore was interesting enough (a few terminals you can dig into for emails and logs, and one or two notebooks you can read as well). Boss was dead easy, and gave me a material that turned into the new Flicker Cloak weapon mod. Not sure if there's an alt kill method with a different drop, but I doubt that too.

It introduced a new enemy type that is basically just a reskin. Nothing too interesting there. And it was further recycled by doubling (heh) as the dungeon's boss (after a fashion). Makes sense given the lore, but it wasn't terribly interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Not a bad bit of content. But to keep players playing (or, at least, this player), there will need to be a lot more of those dropping with some sort of regularity.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
So, just finished I Rhom, sorta, king is alive atm. Even after reading how level scaling works its way to confusing, so questions. As I said, just finished Rhom, my weapons were +6 long gun (+5 Boss weapon too) +5 boss weapon in other gun slot, +5 boss weapon in melee slot. Armor slots were all +6.

When I finished the biome why was my rating vs zones on Rhom for weapons a full diamond meaning even? against foes but my armor rating was a down red arrow? Is it because of the boss weapons being considered more than then regular +6 weapons I have?

Another question about scaling going into the new biome, in the big post Tragic made going over it he said "Just to be clear, once a zone is spawned at its level, it NEVER levels up again until you reroll the entire campaign."

Now, when he says Zone, does that mean the entire Biome or each individual dungeon you load into in that biome? So if all my gear is +6 and I zone into the first dungeon, everything scales to +7. When I go into a second dungeon after upgrading my gear to +7 the second dungeon is scaled to +8?

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, just finished I Rhom, sorta, king is alive atm. Even after reading how level scaling works its way to confusing, so questions. As I said, just finished Rhom, my weapons were +6 long gun (+5 Boss weapon too) +5 boss weapon in other gun slot, +5 boss weapon in melee slot. Armor slots were all +6.

When I finished the biome why was my rating vs zones on Rhom for weapons a full diamond meaning even? against foes but my armor rating was a down red arrow? Is it because of the boss weapons being considered more than then regular +6 weapons I have?

Another question about scaling going into the new biome, in the big post Tragic made going over it he said "Just to be clear, once a zone is spawned at its level, it NEVER levels up again until you reroll the entire campaign."

Now, when he says Zone, does that mean the entire Biome or each individual dungeon you load into in that biome? So if all my gear is +6 and I zone into the first dungeon, everything scales to +7. When I go into a second dungeon after upgrading my gear to +7 the second dungeon is scaled to +8?
Basically each map will spawn and lock at appropriate level, so not the entire biome but every time you enter the yellow light doors. Boss weapons are X2 the level compared to normal ones so your +5 boss weapon means you have +10 as your highest weight.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't really going to, because I'm in the middle of another game at the moment, but I figured I'd give it exactly one shot.

So I updated the game, spun up an Earth Adventure, and lucked out. My second dungeon was Leto's Lab.

Solid slice of content. It felt like two dungeons put together, and I found two side-areas that netted me extra loot. One had the ultra-heavy Leto Armor set, and another held 3 Lumanite Crystals. Not bad!

The main path saw me collect a Tome of Knowledge, a duplicate Gunslinger's Charm, and a Simulacrum! I'm tempted to continue the Earth Adventure to see if this is in addition to Earth's regular Simulacrum, but I doubt it.

Lore was interesting enough (a few terminals you can dig into for emails and logs, and one or two notebooks you can read as well). Boss was dead easy, and gave me a material that turned into the new Flicker Cloak weapon mod. Not sure if there's an alt kill method with a different drop, but I doubt that too.

It introduced a new enemy type that is basically just a reskin. Nothing too interesting there. And it was further recycled by doubling (heh) as the dungeon's boss (after a fashion). Makes sense given the lore, but it wasn't terribly interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Not a bad bit of content. But to keep players playing (or, at least, this player), there will need to be a lot more of those dropping with some sort of regularity.

Nice,thanks for the impressions...we got the dungeon in Adventure mode but my friend had it on Hard difficulty just try out and he didnt want to do the Leto dungeon on hard so he changed it to easy but we lost the dungeon once we got back in the game lol...oh well,next time.

Is there anything in the game that lowers your weight...? we forged the Armor set that regens HP and steals HP on melee hits but you do some fat rolls with it on,not my style of play at all.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017

A neutral gray diamond means that your offenses or defenses are matched well for that particular zone. Green arrows mean that part of your gear is overpowered for the zone. Red arrows mean that part of your gear is underpowered for the zone.

Boss weapons top out at +10. Non-boss weapons and armors top out at +20. So whatever you have your boss weapons at, effectively double it to find out what their actual levels are compared to non-boss gear. It's best to keep your favorite armor pieces at or above your highest weapons. That'll keep your offensive and defensive capabilities at parity with each other.

Nice,thanks for the impressions...we got the dungeon in Adventure mode but my friend had it on Hard difficulty just try out and he didnt want to do the Leto dungeon on hard so he changed it to easy but we lost the dungeon once we got back in the game lol...oh well,next time.

Is there anything in the game that lowers your weight...? we forged the Armor set that regens HP and steals HP on melee hits but you do some fat rolls with it on,not my style of play at all.

I enjoyed the dungeon. And as a followup to my first post, that was the only Simulacrum I wound up finding in that Earth Adventure. So yeah.

Leto's Amulet lowers your Armor Encumbrance by 40% and Stamina cost by 10%, and can randomly be found on Earth, most commonly (possibly exclusively) in either the Gorefist or Shroud critical path dungeons. Look for a wall that references Indiana Jones 3 (Only the penitent man shall pass, or something like that), crouch, and you should just be able to crawl through to the other side. You should find the amulet and a recording. This is not guaranteed to spawn, but if you do enough Gorefist/Shroud dungeons, you're bound to get the amulet eventually.

Before the major armor revamp from two patches ago (Sept. 12, I think), I was rocking a full healing armor set, because it wasn't considered heavy armor in that build and let you rock a middle roll. They upped the regen values, upped the armor values, and upped the weight to put it into the heavy armor class. I now only use one piece of it (along with the Blood Font ring, which also grants regen over time), and mix and match with other, lighter armor pieces in order to keep my encumbrance low without taking too much of a regen hit. Pity they changed up the armor set so much. It's still the only complete armor set I have at +20.

I need more Simulacrum, but I pretty much stopped playing since I already got the platinum trophy.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone, my confusion over boss weapons seem to have been the issue on the rating vs zone.

Not entirely your fault. It's not immediately obvious, nor is it explained. It's a bit of a Dark Souls thing.
The only real hints you get are from a trophy/achievement list, and the realization that it takes extra materials to upgrade and switches to tougher types of iron sooner than regular weapons.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Is matchmaking just completely broken on ps4? I can join a friend's game but no one ever joins us and if I try to join a public game I get "already in session"x

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Running through another Earth Adventure and I'm preeeeeetty sure I rolled Leto's Lab (the new dungeon that just launched) again.
If anyone's on PS4 and wants to experience it, I'll be doing it shortly (exploring a different dungeon off the same map, first).
PSN is the same as on here. I'll be off mic, however. Pretty late where I live, and I don't want to wake anyone up.
Figure I'll be back in Leto's Lab in roughly 20 minutes.

Is matchmaking just completely broken on ps4? I can join a friend's game but no one ever joins us and if I try to join a public game I get "already in session"x

Yeah, keep trying. It's a little borked, but it'll work eventually. And make sure your instance is set to public and not friends only.
Sometimes loading into your own game, then back out, will fix the Already in Session error. Sometimes restarting the game will.
Sometimes just trying will eventually clear it up.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, PSN Alien_Bee, I don't know who you are here, but I hope you enjoyed Leto's Lab.
Sorry for being off mic. I probably looked ridiculous trying to enter the teleporter again and again.
Once you unlock the shortcut, you can return to the terminal and disable Leto's Algorithm, which causes the teleporter to take you to random locations.
I was looking for two. I got one (the platform with the 3 Lumenites). You got the other (the room with Leto's heavy armor set).

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Well, PSN Alien_Bee, I don't know who you are here, but I hope you enjoyed Leto's Lab.
Sorry for being off mic. I probably looked ridiculous trying to enter the teleporter again and again.
Once you unlock the shortcut, you can return to the terminal and disable Leto's Algorithm, which causes the teleporter to take you to random locations.
I was looking for two. I got one (the platform with the 3 Lumenites). You got the other (the room with Leto's heavy armor set).

That was me. Thanks for taking me along. At first I thought the teleporter just took you to the end of the level because my first trip caused me to escape the lab, but after going back and seeing the lumenite on the upper level with no real way to get to it, I figured the teleporter was random.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
However, I still think matchmaking is broken. Maybe it's something unique to my game if it's working for others, but I just played for 1.5 hours with a public session and no one joined. That's never happened before. And I get "already in session" no matter what I try. Loading single player first, restarting the games, restarting the PlayStation.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Some days/nights, online play is totally borked for me. Other days, 60% of the time, it works every time. :)

That was me. Thanks for taking me along. At first I thought the teleporter just took you to the end of the level because my first trip caused me to escape the lab, but after going back and seeing the lumenite on the upper level with no real way to get to it, I figured the teleporter was random.

When you first use the terminal near the teleporter, you turn it on. Using the teleporter is guaranteed to take you to just beyond the locked door (which you can then turn around and unlock). At this point, you should return to that same terminal, and you'll see an option to disable Leto's Algorithm. Do that, and the teleporter will start zapping you to random locations, including the side room with Leto's armor and that ledge with the Lumenite cluster. I think there are 5 or 6 total possible teleports, but you're really only interested in those two.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I saw in the patch notes that the Soul Anchor bug was fixed, but mine is still missing.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
So can you get the platinum trophy on PS4 without playing multiplayer? You have to do it to get the 30 traits trophy right? If so that's a bummer as I've got almost every trophy but that one and have been going lone wolf.

There are 32 Traits in the game (I have 31), some are co-op only, and you need 30 for the Platinum. So some co-op is unavoidable. That said, most of the co-op Traits can be boosted fairly quickly if you have a willing partner.

Teamwork will pop up automatically when you initiate your first co-op session. I can personally confirm that Suspicion can be boosted without leaving Ward 13. I assume that Will to Live and Revivalist can as well, but I got those naturally before boosting for Suspicion. Cold as Ice requires serious coordination and preferably a pair with mics. And a pretty rare (in my experience) Earth dungeon. I've only ever seen it once. Only trait I'm missing. Starting to doubt it can even roll in Adventure Mode.

I can help you boost Suspicion, Revivalist, and Will to Live, if you have no one else. PSN is the same as here.

There's also a chance they add more Traits over time as they expand the biomes and Adventure Mode with new content.

Edit - If you don't already have it, start working on Sleight of Hand. It's a bit of a grind. Requires getting at least 100 kills with 10 different weapons, so a bare minimum of 1,000 kills. And it has to be in a single campaign (so no re-rerolling before you get it). Online kills (as a partner, not a host) DID count for me. I'm not sure if Adventure Mode kills count though. I would hope so, and that the counter only resets when you do a full campaign re-reroll. But I got that Trait before Adventure Mode was a thing, so I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

MochaD124

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished my first campaign! I probably spent way too much time grinding in adventure mode because I finished at trait level 157. Gonna reroll and work on the plat - if anyone wants to boost the coop traits shoot me a pm.

This game went from a complete unknown to easily one of my top 3 games this year. Can't wait to see what the devs add over time and what projects they work on in the future!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How does one get Galvanized Iron? I'm In the swamp and some enemies are getting really spongey and I haven't been able to upgrade my weapons In awhile.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
How does one get Galvanized Iron? I'm In the swamp and some enemies are getting really spongey and I haven't been able to upgrade my weapons In awhile.

It drops from mobs, chests, and is found laying about the world. Ace will also start selling it eventually. Like any other kind of iron. Depending on where you are in the game and the state of your gear, it may still be rare.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Also in adventure mode I noticed I have the option of Yaesha. Yet I don't have the option of Corsus. Is that normal? I haven't gone to Yaesha yet.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Corsus is currently bereft of content. It's probably less than half the size of the other three biomes and has nothing in the way of variety.
They're working on expanding Corsus into a full biome, and once it's ready, it'll be added as an Adventure Mode option.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Corsus is currently bereft of content. It's probably less than half the size of the other three biomes and has nothing in the way of variety.
They're working on expanding Corsus into a full biome, and once it's ready, it'll be added as an Adventure Mode option.

Ah. Well I do like the zone (outside a few enemies) so it will be interesting to see it expanded.

I also just got the Crit Chance Trait. Is it possible to do viable crit build?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

As one of the developers of this game I wish to tell you something. Your team has achieved one of most prestigious awards a developer can get.

That award being on my list of Kalentan's All Time Favorite Forest Areas in a Video Game.

Indeed, when I arrived on Yaesha my breath was taken away and as I descend further into it I continue to love every moment of it.

Wear this badge with honor!

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat Ixillis with 2 other guys...two of us where dead at the Stone but the last guy killed him at the wire,holy shit,I could of kissed him lol...so I gave the heart to the Queen and killed the King...the King fight was actually easier then I thought it would be...is it possible since the last patch that they reduced the adds in a lot of Boss fights...? seems like it to me,although I have level 18 gear and weapons,lots of maxed traits as well.On to Yaesha.

Last edited:

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
So, I think I'm done with the game. I'm at the last boss and no matter what I do, the chest of the boss won't open, weapons are all +16. If +16 isn't enough, I'm just done grinding to get them higher, or the game is bugged, or the weapons I use aren't useful on this fight. I'm getting 10 stacks in the other realm before coming out, doesn't seem to matter. Its just not fun anymore.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
as a huge Souls fan I'm tempted to pick this up...is the game meant for co-op or can it be played just as well solo?...how is the difficulty solo?...as a Souls vet, Normal, Hard or Nightmare for a first run?...I keep hearing that the game is not very challenging

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
as a huge Souls fan I'm tempted to pick this up...is the game meant for co-op or can it be played just as well solo?...how is the difficulty solo?...as a Souls vet, Normal, Hard or Nightmare for a first run?...I keep hearing that the game is not very challenging

I've only played it solo and have very much enjoyed my time.

As for difficulty? It honestly depends on how you build. For example I have really heavy armor that makes dodging hard, and I also have a ring that increase damage done but also increases damage taken by a ton so I need to be careful.

Normal isn't too bad. I'd say it's mainly bosses that are the hard part but there are some elite enemies that give you a run for your money.

I'd honestly say go Normal or Hard.

Hard doesn't give better loot but does give more exp so you level faster.

Note that you can always do a Normal Campaign and then take a break from that and a Hard/Nightmare Adventure Mode run as well if you feel you need to upgrade yourself more. (Since re-running a zone in Adventure Mode might mean getting items you didn't get placed in your original campaign.)

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
So, I think I'm done with the game. I'm at the last boss and no matter what I do, the chest of the boss won't open, weapons are all +16. If +16 isn't enough, I'm just done grinding to get them higher, or the game is bugged, or the weapons I use aren't useful on this fight. I'm getting 10 stacks in the other realm before coming out, doesn't seem to matter. Its just not fun anymore.

This what I did to utterly trivialize that boss, solo.
Run a good hand gun of your choice with a great crowd control mod (turret if you have it, Swarm may work even better now that it got buffed) and the assault rifle with the Hot Shot mod equipped.

As soon as you see him start the shadow realm teleportation twirl, pop a Bloodwort for the passive health regen. Once in the shadow realm, lay down 3 turrets or unleash Swarm, while picking off mobs with your hand gun until Elites start showing. Once you have 10 or more stacks, bail out.

Once back in the regular arena, switch to the assault rifle, pop Hot Shot, and line up those crits. Got the chest burst and stagger every single time. He was at sub-20% health after 2 DPS phases and died early on in the third.