• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Remnant: From the Ashes gets a new story trailer, 'VIP' access for pre-orders
At The PC Gaming Show today, show sponsor Perfect World showed off a new trailer for Remnant: From the Ashes, a third-person survival shooter from Gunfire Games.

Basically, the world is screwed—the apocalypse happened, as it is wont to do in games—and everything is overrun by monsters. It's up to you and up to two co-op partners to wipe them out. Watch the trailer above, and see the entire segment from the PC Gaming Show below.

The devs are clearly going for a Souls feel, with giant, grotesque bosses that lay down big attacks for players to dodge. While Remnant can be played solo, Gunfire recommends playing co-op to "increase your chances of survival." Fair enough. In the trailer above, one enemy easily grabs a player with horrible hook hands and raises them like an animal to be slaughtered. Having friends to help is probably a good idea.

At the show, Gunfire games CEO David Adams talked a bit about the procedural generation in Remnant. "One of the coolest features of the game is the dynamic generation system," said Adams. "We generate the map, the enemies, the quests, the NPCs, bosses, everything.

"It's all hand scripted but the system takes all the pieces and stitches them together."

Remnant: From the Ashes will release on August 20, and Adams announced at the PC Gaming Show today that those who pre-order will get early, "VIP" access on August 16. You can learn more on the official site.

I can't wait for this! I simply adore the artstyle and enemy design. All it needs now though is Monster Hunter-style cooking mechanics where you can chop off bits of bosses and then eat them later for buffs and the like (also because eating the charred pieces of fallen enemies is always fun, right?).

Here's hoping it can live up to its potential.

Last edited:

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
This game looks great. My problem is I'm drowning in cooperative shooters/hunting games right now, I don't know if I'll find time for this.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
This game visually looks far far better and more interesting than Darksiders 3. DS3 had no budget I guess.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had my eye on this for a while, mostly due to their Darksiders pedigree. Adding Souls-like elements and their penchant for cool bosses is probably the only way for me to pay attention to a shlooter.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. I'm curious a bit about the co-op structure of the game though. I kind of assumed it was a bit Left 4 Dead-ish or like Destiny strikes where you'd match make with people and go on runs with maybe a boss at the end and sort of progressively unlock them like a campaign. But some of the way they've talked about it sort of sounds more like a regular campaign (with procedural elements) that has drop in drop out co-op. Anyone know more about that?

EDIT: Actually that Gamespot video explains it pretty well though I'm still not sure when players matchmake or if it has matchmaking at all.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
This game looks so damn good. The boss fight video shown previously is by far the best boss fight I've seen in a shlooter (why are bungie still so poor at boss fights after all these years, but so great at the rest of shooters?). I love the aesthetic and theme. It feels like this is where a huge amount of the talent from the original Darksiders team went.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
There are a lot of characters and a lot of bosses we haven't shown. I will say the b-roll that has been shown is typically new players (and typically some of it has been made a little less challenging for demo purposes).

I think right now we are at 140 characters (20+ or so of those are bosses).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So conflicted....

On the one hand, I love the post-apoc art style of Vigil/Gunfire, and I adored all 3 Darksiders games (bought 3 Day 1 and did not regret it)

On the other, I generally don't like my games to be "too random" (something like Diablo II with a bunch of set story milestones, but random levels/enemies in between that is where I'd draw the line), and I also don't play anything multi-player.

Is the game really at all viable solo? I don't mind challenge (I've spent over 100 hours in Sekiro this year on a single playthrough, so I'm generally not put off by reasonable difficulty), but I don't want to waste my time if some random content could pop up that's basically impossible to handle alone.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
So conflicted....

On the one hand, I love the post-apoc art style of Vigil/Gunfire, and I adored all 3 Darksiders games (bought 3 Day 1 and did not regret it)

On the other, I generally don't like my games to be "too random" (something like Diablo II with a bunch of set story milestones, but random levels/enemies in between that is where I'd draw the line), and I also don't play anything multi-player.

Is the game really at all viable solo? I don't mind challenge (I've spent over 100 hours in Sekiro this year on a single playthrough, so I'm generally not put off by reasonable difficulty), but I don't want to waste my time if some random content could pop up that's basically impossible to handle alone.

I have good news for you.

First off, the game is 100% solo'able. There's nothing in the game that requires multiplayer (except maybe unlocking a trait or two that are used for multiplayer). You can see all the content, do all the dungeons, and kill all the bosses by yourself, 100% guaranteed.

Secondly, to answer your first question last, the game actually isn't "too random" IMO... but of course, that's just my opinion, so let me explain:

As you've probably seen in some videos, the campaign is generated with a set of guidelines. These are the rules that determine your route through the game. Think of it like this...

Imagine taking a road trip from California (San Francisco) to Texas (Austin). The route planned says "you must drive south, pass through Arizona, then New Mexico, and then Texas". Those are the basic guidelines.

Then the engine says "you must stop at 4 gas stations in each state, and eat at 2 diners... one for breakfast, one for dinner".

That's basically it.

We can guarantee you will see certain story moments because we know you will go from CA to AZ to NM to TX, but we don't know what gas stations you will stop at (we've build way more than 4) and we don't know what diners you will eat at (we've build way more than two). Along the way, you might veer off on a side road, or go to a third diner, or stop at a different gas station, but that's up to you. In fact, they may appear, they may not, but the original guidelines will ensure that at least the base amount will spawn. Which ones actually spawn though, are random.

So, now imagine CA is Earth, AZ is Wasteland, NM is Yaesha, TX is Swamp. Imagine those gas stations could be Texaco, or Shell, or Exxon, or BP, or Chevron, or Marathon, or Tesoro, or Rotten Robbie, or Valero, or Parker's. Each of them are biome themed and offer different stuff... and as mentioned, the engine only ensures you go to 4 of them in each state.

Now imagine those diners are TGIF or Applebees (LOL) or Cheesecake Factory or Red Robin or Black Angus or Bucca di Beppo or Claim Jumpers. Again, these "diners" would all be biome themed and have unique... "dishes" to serve.

When Chevron spawns on your route, you know that you can get X from the gift store. When Valero spawns, you can get Y. When Marathon spawns, you can get Z.

Same for the diners... except with bigger and better rewards.

OK, this analogy got out of hand real quick. The point is...

We have a set of guidelines and... now I'm hungry.

[F]

The idea of this system is so that a) you never see the same thing twice in a single play-through, b) each run/campaign is laid out differently BUT it has a set of rails, so to speak, to keep you heading to the final destination, and c) when you re-roll the campaign (or adventure more) you'll never get the same route.

Also, you literally cannot see and get everything by playing through the game once. It's impossible... because every world has multiple world bosses and you only fight one each run (per biome), every Biome has multiple mini-bosses which work similarly. Every mini-boss has random modifiers. Every area has different world drops as well... BUT, as I said, there are a set of guidelines.

You will know that you can eventually get everything in a biome because multiple elements are tied to "events" that spawn in the world. We may have 10 world-drop items that can appear from exploration. As you pick up 1, there's now 9 that can spawn in the same amount of event spots. Once you get 2, now there are 8. The game rewards playing again and again.

Plus, Adventure Mode will allow you to roll a single biome with no story elements and only part of the aforementioned "route". "I JUST WANNA PLAY ARIZONA OVER AND OVER!" Cool, do it!

Anyway, sorry for the ridiculous analogy. I'll see myself out.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

First off, the game is 100% solo'able. There's nothing in the game that requires multiplayer (except maybe unlocking a trait or two that are used for multiplayer). You can see all the content, do all the dungeons, and kill all the bosses by yourself, 100% guaranteed.

Secondly, to answer your first question last, the game actually isn't "too random" IMO... but of course, that's just my opinion, so let me explain:

As you've probably seen in some videos, the campaign is generated with a set of guidelines. These are the rules that determine your route through the game. Think of it like this...

Imagine taking a road trip from California (San Francisco) to Texas (Austin). The route planned says "you must drive south, pass through Arizona, then New Mexico, and then Texas". Those are the basic guidelines.

Then the engine says "you must stop at 4 gas stations in each state, and eat at 2 diners... one for breakfast, one for dinner".

That's basically it.

We can guarantee you will see certain story moments because we know you will go from CA to AZ to NM to TX, but we don't know what gas stations you will stop at (we've build way more than 4) and we don't know what diners you will eat at (we've build way more than two). Along the way, you might veer off on a side road, or go to a third diner, or stop at a different gas station, but that's up to you. In fact, they may appear, they may not, but the original guidelines will ensure that at least the base amount will spawn. Which ones actually spawn though, are random.

So, now imagine CA is Earth, AZ is Wasteland, NM is Yaesha, TX is Swamp. Imagine those gas stations could be Texaco, or Shell, or Exxon, or BP, or Chevron, or Marathon, or Tesoro, or Rotten Robbie, or Valero, or Parker's. Each of them are biome themed and offer different stuff... and as mentioned, the engine only ensures you go to 4 of them in each state.

Now imagine those diners are TGIF or Applebees (LOL) or Cheesecake Factory or Red Robin or Black Angus or Bucca di Beppo or Claim Jumpers. Again, these "diners" would all be biome themed and have unique... "dishes" to serve.

When Chevron spawns on your route, you know that you can get X from the gift store. When Valero spawns, you can get Y. When Marathon spawns, you can get Z.

[F]

The idea of this system is so that a) you never see the same thing twice in a single play-through, b) each run/campaign is laid out differently BUT it has a set of rails, so to speak, to keep you heading to the final destination, and c) when you re-roll the campaign (or adventure more) you'll never get the same route.

Also, you literally cannot see and get everything by playing through the game once. It's impossible... because every world has multiple world bosses and you only fight one each run (per biome), every Biome has multiple mini-bosses which work similarly. Every mini-boss has random modifiers. Every area has different world drops as well... BUT, as I said, there are a set of guidelines.

You will know that you can eventually get everything in a biome because multiple elements are tied to "events" that spawn in the world. We may have 10 world-drop items that can appear from exploration. As you pick up 1, there's now 9 that can spawn in the same amount of event spots. Once you get 2, now there are 8. The game rewards playing again and again.

Plus, Adventure Mode will allow you to roll a single biome with no story elements and only part of the aforementioned "route". "I JUST WANNA PLAY ARIZONA OVER AND OVER!" Cool, do it!

Thanks for such a detailed reply. Wishlisted.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
how many different types of weapons are there?
do epic/legendary tier equipments change gameplay in a meaningful way or are they just bigger numbers stuff?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Music to my ears.

That gameplay clip with the impressions above looked really nice just like the trailer, really like the style/atmosphere, lots of nice touches to the look.

OP
OP
VN1X

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's basically it.

[F]

So what you're saying is that we're getting Remnant Truck Simulator. Nice!

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
What's the loot situation? What am I grinding for and improving?

Really looking forward to this!

Good question! So at the base level, you are aiming to collect more "tools". Each weapon is different, every armor set has different set bonuses (and you also get it for even just 1 piece), mods all do different things, Trinkets are accessories with nice single-slot buffs, and of course, TRAITS. Traits are our stat points. You actually have to find the ability to increase them. Oh yea, and resources!

NOTE: Any names listed below aren't finalized... just a disclaimer! =)

So, each weapon can be upgraded in a very souls-like fashion. +1, +2, +3 etc. Right now they go to 20. You need Scrap (money) and Metal/Iron. There are different rarities of metals. Money is money.

There is also super rare material that only drops off mini-bosses and bosses... these are used for crafting boss weapons. These weapons can also be upgraded.

Armors you earn, buy, or find. They have single-focus armor skills abilities and you get a bonus for wearing 1, 2, or all 3 pieces. You can absolutely wear 3 different armor pieces to mix-and match for a look you like and a set of 3 different bonuses. You can also wear 2 and 1, or all 3.

An example of these bonuses: Bandit Armor has the armor skill "Freeloader". On hit (Firearm), there's a chance the bullet is refunded back into the weapon (not into your reserves). This makes it exceptionally good for single-shot weapons like the Sniper Rifle or Hunting Pistol (which have single shots and long reloads). Wear all 3, it happens quite often... but that comes with the penalty of lower total armor and a different set of resistances to our elements/diseases.

Another example would be on the Scrapper's starting armor. They get "Challenger" armor skill. This bonus gives you a damage bonus when within 5m of any enemy. Straight up ALL damage bonus... you just need to be close. The choice here is... it's HEAVY. By default you are already in the Medium encumbrance range (so you have 1 less dodge) and you are susceptible to Lightning attacks... because the set is made of metal.

As with weapons, all armors can be upgraded.

Mod are our "magic" type abilities. Each archetype starts with a unique one and then you discover more by defeating bosses, getting their unique boss crafting material, and going back to Ward 13 to get it made. Mods slotted into either firearm (you can have 2 at once since you can have 2 firearms equipped) and they gain power by shooting stuff. Once filled, you activate them like "mini-ultimates" from Destiny. They are way more frequent so they are way less crazy... but some are still a bit crazy.

Examples of Mods:

Blink Token: 5 Charges - Disappear and Teleport to targeted location and appear with a BURST that deals DMG and stuns enemies. You can warp around the battlefield!

Hunter's Mark: 1 Charge - This marks every enemy within range and allows you AND YOUR FRIENDS to see them through walls. You have an additional crit chance against marked enemies.

Mender's Aura: 1 Charge - AOE Heal (great for team-play).

Now, BOSS weapons come with mods already attached. These cannot be removed, so with a boss weapon you gain a unique primary fire and a boss mod.

Example of Boss Mods:

_HIDDEN_WEAPON_NAME_: Banishing Shot - Banishes enemy to the Shadow Realm where it cannot hurt you. When it re-appears, it is debuffed for X seconds and takes additional DMG.

_HIDDEN_WEAPON_NAME_: Flamethrower - This is... literally... a flamethrower.

OK, so on to Trinkets. This is standard accessory stuff. Wear a ring that gives you +10 base crit. Wear a necklace that gives you health regen. ETC. These are more of your flavor slots. You find these by completing quests, exploring the world, purchasing them from vendors, etc. Each biome has a set of Trinkets attached to them so if you go through Earth, for example, and don't get the one you wanted, you can reroll JUST Earth in Adventure Mode and play a different seed/roll of that biome. Maybe it will spawn!

TRAITS are our stat points. So in many RPGS you wanna level up Stamina, or level up Crit Chance, or level up Movement Speed, you get a talent/skill point and pop it in. The only main difference for Remnant is that you need to DISCOVER most of these traits. You start with a few (there's a default, and then you get a few by picking your archetype and completing the tutorial) but the remaining have to be discovered through questing, exploration, or defeating bosses. You want quicker reload speed? You might have to defeat a boss to unlock the ability to level it up. You want faster fire speed? Maybe it's attached to a side-quest. You want to increase the effectiveness of your armor? You can do it, you just have to earn the right to do it!

And on top of all that, you need resources. Resources are gained in pretty traditional ways: Explore, Break Stuff, Kill Stuff, Do Stuff for People. Kill harder stuff for better stuff. ETC.

OH, and I guess another question is... "why do I want all this stuff?". I can't really say 100% outside of "so you can do better" but I will say there will be other ways to play... and having the best stuff while playing in those other ways... will be highly beneficial.

Hope that helps!

how many different types of weapons are there?
do epic/legendary tier equipments change gameplay in a meaningful way or are they just bigger numbers stuff?

See above. Lot's of ways to adjust your playstyle outside of JUST bigger numbers. We haven't really shown any of the fantastical stuff just yet. I'm hoping we do so soon!

Loot wise, are they differentiated via stats purely or do they also carry visual changes as well? How is character progression translated graphically in the game, if any?

This is a great question. So, the biggest thing we've done here is the way MODS interact with your weapons. If you have a basic pistol and slot Hunter's Mark on it, it will have a very distinct graphical change. This graphical change will also apply to the Shotgun, or the Coachgun, or the Magnum. You'll always be able to tell what mod a player has on their weapon by simply looking at their weapon. It's a definite graphical upgrade beyond just a skin. There is actual new modeling done to represent EVERY mod on EVERY weapon. It's true!

So what you're saying is that we're getting Remnant Truck Simulator. Nice!

100%!

I'm definitely interested in this, but I can't find any information on Pro/ X1X support and resolutions. Does it have enhanced console support? I have a great TV and just can't justify 1080p—or lower—games in this day and age :)

I honestly can't answer that as I don't know. I think this information will be released as the people in charge figure it out. I sure hope all that stuff exists! =)

- trag

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I forgot to mention (or maybe didn't spell it out very well)... World Bosses have multiple ways to defeat them... which means, by definition, you have to fight them twice (at least). Once they die, they are gone from that specific campaign (or Adventure Mode run). It's random if they spawn but not TOO random (little bit of help so you don't get the same one 10x). So you might end up doing Earth a few times to get all the Earth-related items and boss weapons and such due to Boss Spawns, Event Spawns, Side Quest Spawns, Dungeon Spawns, etc.

Every time the engine generates a new biome (upon Campaign or Adventure start) it picks the main elements of the run and stitches together the world in a random-but-guided way. So even going through that biome again means the experience is different. This is so that your second, third, fourth runs to get the last 2-3 items you might need are exactly the same and potentially boring.

Hope that helps!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
First of all, thanks tragic for these awesomely detailed answers.

So, I just have questions about how multiplayer works. Is it jump in jump out? Can you match make with randoms? If so, do you only group up when you leave the hub? Can the hub serve as a defacto social hub, or is it completely solo there?

Oh! Also cross play or no?

Armors you earn, buy, or find. They have single-focus armor skills abilities and you get a bonus for wearing 1, 2, or all 3 pieces. You can absolutely wear 3 different armor pieces to mix-and match for a look you like and a set of 3 different bonuses. You can also wear 2 and 1, or all 3.
If you haven't already, please consider AC: Odyssey style cosmetic slots. I want Fashion Remnant!

Last edited:

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018
Good question! So at the base level, you are aiming to collect more "tools". Each weapon is different, every armor set has different set bonuses (and you also get it for even just 1 piece), mods all do different things, Trinkets are accessories with nice single-slot buffs, and of course, TRAITS. Traits are our stat points. You actually have to find the ability to increase them. Oh yea, and resources!

NOTE: Any names listed below aren't finalized... just a disclaimer! =)

So, each weapon can be upgraded in a very souls-like fashion. +1, +2, +3 etc. Right now they go to 20. You need Scrap (money) and Metal/Iron. There are different rarities of metals. Money is money.

There is also super rare material that only drops off mini-bosses and bosses... these are used for crafting boss weapons. These weapons can also be upgraded.

An example of these bonuses: Bandit Armor has the armor skill "Freeloader". On hit (Firearm), there's a chance the bullet is refunded back into the weapon (not into your reserves). This makes it exceptionally good for single-shot weapons like the Sniper Rifle or Hunting Pistol (which have single shots and long reloads). Wear all 3, it happens quite often... but that comes with the penalty of lower total armor and a different set of resistances to our elements/diseases.

Another example would be on the Scrapper's starting armor. They get "Challenger" armor skill. This bonus gives you a damage bonus when within 5m of any enemy. Straight up ALL damage bonus... you just need to be close. The choice here is... it's HEAVY. By default you are already in the Medium encumbrance range (so you have 1 less dodge) and you are susceptible to Lightning attacks... because the set is made of metal.

As with weapons, all armors can be upgraded.

Mod are our "magic" type abilities. Each archetype starts with a unique one and then you discover more by defeating bosses, getting their unique boss crafting material, and going back to Ward 13 to get it made. Mods slotted into either firearm (you can have 2 at once since you can have 2 firearms equipped) and they gain power by shooting stuff. Once filled, you activate them like "mini-ultimates" from Destiny. They are way more frequent so they are way less crazy... but some are still a bit crazy.

Examples of Mods:

Blink Token: 5 Charges - Disappear and Teleport to targeted location and appear with a BURST that deals DMG and stuns enemies. You can warp around the battlefield!

Hunter's Mark: 1 Charge - This marks every enemy within range and allows you AND YOUR FRIENDS to see them through walls. You have an additional crit chance against marked enemies.

Mender's Aura: 1 Charge - AOE Heal (great for team-play).

Now, BOSS weapons come with mods already attached. These cannot be removed, so with a boss weapon you gain a unique primary fire and a boss mod.

Example of Boss Mods:

_HIDDEN_WEAPON_NAME_: Banishing Shot - Banishes enemy to the Shadow Realm where it cannot hurt you. When it re-appears, it is debuffed for X seconds and takes additional DMG.

_HIDDEN_WEAPON_NAME_: Flamethrower - This is... literally... a flamethrower.

OK, so on to Trinkets. This is standard accessory stuff. Wear a ring that gives you +10 base crit. Wear a necklace that gives you health regen. ETC. These are more of your flavor slots. You find these by completing quests, exploring the world, purchasing them from vendors, etc. Each biome has a set of Trinkets attached to them so if you go through Earth, for example, and don't get the one you wanted, you can reroll JUST Earth in Adventure Mode and play a different seed/roll of that biome. Maybe it will spawn!

TRAITS are our stat points. So in many RPGS you wanna level up Stamina, or level up Crit Chance, or level up Movement Speed, you get a talent/skill point and pop it in. The only main difference for Remnant is that you need to DISCOVER most of these traits. You start with a few (there's a default, and then you get a few by picking your archetype and completing the tutorial) but the remaining have to be discovered through questing, exploration, or defeating bosses. You want quicker reload speed? You might have to defeat a boss to unlock the ability to level it up. You want faster fire speed? Maybe it's attached to a side-quest. You want to increase the effectiveness of your armor? You can do it, you just have to earn the right to do it!

And on top of all that, you need resources. Resources are gained in pretty traditional ways: Explore, Break Stuff, Kill Stuff, Do Stuff for People. Kill harder stuff for better stuff. ETC.

OH, and I guess another question is... "why do I want all this stuff?". I can't really say 100% outside of "so you can do better" but I will say there will be other ways to play... and having the best stuff while playing in those other ways... will be highly beneficial.

Hope that helps!

See above. Lot's of ways to adjust your playstyle outside of JUST bigger numbers. We haven't really shown any of the fantastical stuff just yet. I'm hoping we do so soon!

This is a great question. So, the biggest thing we've done here is the way MODS interact with your weapons. If you have a basic pistol and slot Hunter's Mark on it, it will have a very distinct graphical change. This graphical change will also apply to the Shotgun, or the Coachgun, or the Magnum. You'll always be able to tell what mod a player has on their weapon by simply looking at their weapon. It's a definite graphical upgrade beyond just a skin. There is actual new modeling done to represent EVERY mod on EVERY weapon. It's true!

100%!

I honestly can't answer that as I don't know. I think this information will be released as the people in charge figure it out. I sure hope all that stuff exists! =)

- trag

Hey man, thank you for answering the questions with so much details. Consider me hyped for the game!

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
First of all, thanks tragic for these awesomely detailed answers.

So, I just have questions about how multiplayer works. Is it jump in jump out? Can you match make with randoms? If so, do you only group up when you leave the hub? Can the hub serve as a defacto social hub, or is it completely solo there?

Oh! Also cross play or no?

If you haven't already, please consider AC: Odyssey style cosmetic slots. I want Fashion Remnant!

Multiplayer is jump-in, jump-out right now but I don't know if there is plans for a matchmaking hub right off the bat. I can't answer with 100% confidence but I believe at launch you matchmake with friends.

I'm not sure if the decision on cross play has been made. I honestly don't know.

I think there are plans for cosmetics, but I don't know the full extent. I think we need to get the tech nailed down and there's so much other stuff to do right now! Also, I do know the game isn't about micro-transactions or loot-boxes (especially with the initial product), just in case that might be a question. As far as I'm aware, it's a one-time buy product. Of course, I'm not involved in any of those decisions and anything can change... but I'm in the same boat as you... I hope we make cool cosmetic slots happen! You can still have a little Fashion Remnant tho because of mix and matching your armor along with your weapon mods (which change the model of guns). There's some fun stuff!

Hey man, thank you for answering the questions with so much details. Consider me hyped for the game!

No prob!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
VN1X

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ton of info in video form courtesy of IGN.

Mentions that there's about 24+ bosses currently in the game and a ton of secrets to boot as well! Apparently there's a huge secret area at the beginning of the game that playtesters have yet to discover. Game just get's better by the minute video.

Also in offline mode you can alter game files and give yourself stat boosts and what not. It's not something I'm interested in myself but if you wanted to you could basically hack your way to victory.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really as a game I would play... I have no hopes for Linux release, but are you guys using Easy Anti Cheat or something else (Looking into Steam Proton playing)???

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
One more question tragic! I believe there are classes right? If so, are the classes tied to certain characters or do you create a character and have them switch between different classes/professions?

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Their community SoFech did a stream today of the E3 demo build and showed off more of the game play. Game really interests me since I am a fan of procedurally generated stuff and a lot of the mechanics are very similar to Warframe, a game which I have dumped countless of hours in.

However it is unsure how the game will be monetized post purchase, I expect there will be cosmetics MTX, but unsure about currency, weapons, mods, DLC, tilesets, etc; Which I hope we can get more info on before launch.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Ton of info in video form courtesy of IGN.

Mentions that there's about 24+ bosses currently in the game and a ton of secrets to boot as well! Apparently there's a huge secret area at the beginning of the game that playtesters have yet to discover. Game just get's better by the minute video.

Also in offline mode you can alter game files and give yourself stat boosts and what not. It's not something I'm interested in myself but if you wanted to you could basically hack your way to victory.

In fact, there are at least 3 areas I know of at the beginning of the game (within 10m of finishing tutorial) that almost everyone skips. Not one person in any playtest has found all 3. Some have found 1.

That looks dope as hell

YEAH!

Looks really as a game I would play... I have no hopes for Linux release, but are you guys using Easy Anti Cheat or something else (Looking into Steam Proton playing)???

I can't speak on anti-cheat as I dont know what the engineering team has in store. Because matchmaking is friends-list based, the odds of someone messing up your game (that you don't know) is very unlikely (unless your friends like to do that sorta stuff).

As Dave mentioned, he doesn't really care all that much if someone mods stuff and plays offline either. You paid for it, do what you want as long as you don't ruin someone else's fun. I think if we ever get server-based matchmaking, we will be more concerned about that.

One more question tragic! I believe there are classes right? If so, are the classes tied to certain characters or do you create a character and have them switch between different classes/professions?

There are starting archetypes. Hunter, Ex-Cultist, Scrapper. The only difference is that they start with different gear/loadouts. ALL of the gear (firearms, melee weapon, mods, traits) can be attained by anyone. It's really just a starting loadout, nothing more. Do you want to play far range, mid range, or close range to start out. As you discover more gear and mods and traits and trinkets, you can build your own class. Want to be a healer? Get Mender's Aura mod (comes on Ex-Cultist archetype, and unlockable in another dungeon), purchase Mender's Charm (using your Dragon Heart / Estus heals nearby teammates), and get Veil of the Black Tear or Song of Swords mod for your other weapons... which either create a Gibraltar-like dome shield of protection from all projectiles, or increases team damage and reduces enemy DMG in Xm range, respectively.

Their community SoFech did a stream today of the E3 demo build and showed off more of the game play. Game really interests me since I am a fan of procedurally generated stuff and a lot of the mechanics are very similar to Warframe, a game which I have dumped countless of hours in.

However it is unsure how the game will be monetized post purchase, I expect there will be cosmetics MTX, but unsure about currency, weapons, mods, DLC, tilesets, etc; Which I hope we can get more info on before launch.

Buy once. You get everything (except DLC pre-order re-skins). As far as I know, there are zero plans to nickle and dime anyone. No one here likes that stuff, including the president of the company.

EDIT: Wanted to add the clarification that the general thought is that if there were ever any MTX stuff it would be cosmetics, as rocket mentioned. I believe that we have already committed to free gameplay related stuff off the bat, and any BIG content drops like full expansions would probably have a cost, but I have no info on that (both on what we plan and what the cost would be). The goal is to never make players feel like they are behind because they didn't pay for a super weapon, or had a ridiculous armor set locked behind a $3.99 price-point. Just wanted to be transparent here!

Last edited:

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak on anti-cheat as I dont know what the engineering team has in store. Because matchmaking is friends-list based, the odds of someone messing up your game (that you don't know) is very unlikely (unless your friends like to do that sorta stuff).

As Dave mentioned, he doesn't really care all that much if someone mods stuff and plays offline either. You paid for it, do what you want as long as you don't ruin someone else's fun. I think if we ever get server-based matchmaking, we will be more concerned about that.

Nice! Hoping Proton can handle it. I love the aesthetic and the game type. Hoping it can become something big! As a computer engineering student, the typical question... Is the game development job the way you thought it was gonna be?

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Buy once. You get everything (except DLC pre-order re-skins). As far as I know, there are zero plans to nickle and dime anyone. No one here likes that stuff, including the president of the company.

Ok, I JUST realized you are Ben "tragic" Cureton from that Dev preview, lol.

Thanks for the reply, that is comforting to hear and I feel more conformable pre-ordering the game diving into your world knowing what I am getting into. I hope your marketing team will at some point hammer that point out as I am sure I am not the only one wondering about that kinda stuff, I mean it's 2019; people do wonder what are the MTX that will be in an new full retail IP, thanks in no small part to EA and Activation.

I am loving everything I saw so far, except for may the "stamina bar", still have some PTSD from other games about this mechanic which they promptly got rid of, but from what I saw RFtA seems to be a much more deliberate and slower pace game in terms of combat, which may not be that big of a deal compare to a more run-and-gun title.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Ok, I JUST realized you are Ben "tragic" Cureton from that Dev preview, lol.

Thanks for the reply, that is comforting to hear and I feel more conformable pre-ordering the game diving into your world knowing what I am getting into. I hope your marketing team will at some point hammer that point out as I am sure I am not the only one wondering about that kinda stuff, I mean it's 2019; people do wonder what are the MTX that will be in an new full retail IP, thanks in no small part to EA and Activation.

OH, that's me, yeah! I originally worked at Vigil on Darksiders 2 and then moved to Crytek when Vigil went down (same team). Then after that I left Austin for a while and came back to consult w/ Gunfire at the end of DS3 and they asked if I would be interested in coming back to help. I said, LET'S DO IT.

Remnant is a really interesting game. I don't mean that in vague way, it truly is interesting and unique. I didn't think I'd be all that interested in working on it though I could see the potential. I love shooters, I love souls, but sometimes certain things don't mix, right? BUT SOMETIMES THEY DO!

In regards to the MTX stuff... I agree with you 100%. The first trick, tho, is getting the game in front of people. So many people at E3 were like "WOW WTF GAME IS THIS IVE NEVER HEARD OF IT. IT'S AWESOME!" The second step is making sure that when they get the game, they GET THE GAME. They don't get PART of the game. The management at Gunfire is pretty adamant about no nickle/dimeing stuff and since it's Gunfire's IP, they can do what they want. Maybe it will make less money, but it's not about the money... it's about making a game that we'd like to play and that we'd honestly recommend to our friends.

It's also really cool that PW is on board because I think it will boost the perception of their brand name too. It's a win for everyone if Remnant does well. Gamers, Gunfire, PW, everyone!

I am loving everything I saw so far, except for may the "stamina bar", still have some PTSD from other games about this mechanic which they promptly got rid of, but from what I saw RFtA seems to be a much more deliberate and slower pace game in terms of combat, which may not be that big of a deal compare to a more run-and-gun title.

Stamina used to be way more constricting and it's been dialed back. It's really only to limit your dodges and how long you can sprint. Melee is "FREE". There are many ways to increase the bar, increase the regen rate, and decrease the delay too. You can pretty much have near infinite stamina in some cases. I wouldn't worry too much. Shooting doesn't cost stamina either LOL.

I'm glad you are pumped. It pumps us all up to hear that people are digging the concept and loving the initial footage.

As I said before, you ain't seen nothing yet!

I mean, OK, you've seen the core concepts and general flow, but wait till you see someone dodge a boss attack, activate the flicker cloak that makes them glitch/dodge every attack while standing in place just to absorb a ton of fodder attacks while they whip around and banish the boss into the shadowrealm with a mod, the 2nd player summons a Tentacle that draws all aggro from the scrub mobs, the first player resurrects their friend (third player) now that they have breathing room from the aggro draw... the revived player teleports away to safety (League FLASH-like ability), heals, and then calls down a Lightning Storm from the sky to kill all the scrub enemies, then the first player that pops Frenzy Dust consumable which places a dust cloud on the ground which boosts fire rate and reload speed... then the resurrected player, who's Lightning Storm has finished, jumps into the dust and goes HAM with a Tommygun that has a 100 bullet barrel clip... along with the other two players who are using a Beam Rifle (which has constantly increasing DMG) and the Hive Cannon Pistol (which shoots swarms of bees). All of them just pummeling the boss in the face as it comes back from the initial banishment (taking extra DMG because of the shadowrealm debuff).

"For me, that was a Tuesday!"

Anyway, that's the kind of stuff I want to start showing. Perhaps with less of a run-on sentence, though.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
The art is so good in this game, amazing stuff really, I hope for the best and can't wait to dive in as this seems like something I'd love to explore, I'm wondering, are you guys gonna start ramping up social marketing (Twitch, Youtube) starting July or near the release date? Would love to see more buzz around this.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Was all set to come in here and answer some questions, but Tragic hold my beer'ed me out of this one. Which is great, cuz I've been talking about this game all week. Isn't E3 the best?

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is SoFech one of the CM's for this game? Shoutouts to the Gigantic crew <3
Haha. Yup. He and I work on the game on the Perfect World end. He's pretty obsessed with this game and is probably the most skilled at it in our office. I think he was excited to get to show it off on stream finally last week.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All sounds pretty cool. Love a good loot shooter.

Part of the reason I enjoy Souls, is that chance to try a new build and jump back in. How much variation in skills and weapons are there in the game to make the variation last?

Are weapons dropped within the world or is it just crafting?

Any plans for something similar to the Bloodborne chalice dungeon? I.e randomly generated dungeons for added replay potential.

How are you planning of keeping the game fresh? Are you looking at Diablo style seasons, or just dlc content over the coming months?

Is the game more focused around running entire levels for loot or quick runs for boss loot? Diablo 2 was mainly about running to bosses quickly, D3 is a little more about doing the level as you head to bosses.