• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is so damned cool looking. I absolutely dig what I am hearing.
I really like where this is going. Crossing my fingers on it.

Last edited:

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
All sounds pretty cool. Love a good loot shooter.

Part of the reason I enjoy Souls, is that chance to try a new build and jump back in. How much variation in skills and weapons are there in the game to make the variation last?

Great question.

Right off the bat, the starting archetypes all have different stuff (besides the Hand Gun: Repeater Pistol) which definitely makes you play differently right off the bat. However, you aren't locked into an archetype because you could start the game as a Hunter, go out into the world and get some Scrap (money), and come back and buy the Shotgun (Scrapper's starting Long Gun) and the Ex-Cultist's Mod (Mender's Aura).

Each Armor Set brings a single Armor Skill (which is improved by wearing multiple pieces) and these are meant to change the way you play. For example; one grants a DMG buff every time you TAKE DMG and stacks 10x ("VENGEANCE"). Another increases Crit Chance and Crit DMG every time you CRIT ("MOMENTUM"). Another has a chance on Shot to not consume a bullet ("FREELOADER"). Of course, the starting armors all have their own Armor Skill as well!

The idea is to first discover all of these armors, and then combine them in a way that suits your desired playstyle, and then pump up the related Traits and find complimentary trinkets to really push it over the top.

Example:

In my current playthrough, early game, I'm running Drifter Mask (Armor Skill: "WANDERER" - reduces the cost of any action that uses stamina), Hunter's Trenchcoat (Armor Skill: "SHARPSHOOTER" - increases Weakspot damage when farther than 15m), and Adventurer's Leggings (Armor Skill: "Treasure Hunter" - increases the chance that scrap drops from breakables). With this set I can explore more efficiently due the Sprint cost being reduced. I get a bit more money just breaking everything I can find. I still have a nice little DMG boost as long as I'm hitting Weakspots... which isn't too hard with the uber-precise first-shot of the Hunting Rifle.

In addition, this armor set remains in the "Light" category so I have really nice dodge that recovers quickly and doesn't use up a lot of stamina by itself - and the cost is reduced even more due to the 1-pc Drifter Armor Skill. Since the Drifter Armor set is a "Medium" weight set, I had to supplement with lighter pieces to stay within the "Light" threshold. If I find the Trinket that reduces total encumbrance by 30%, I could actually wear the Drifter's Overcoat in place of the Hunter's Trench-coat for more armor, the Hunter's Pants in place of the Adventurer's Leggings (again, for more armor), and any of the medium weight Helmets while still remaining in the "Light" category. This would give me access to Slayer Hood, Twisted Mask, Osseous Helm, or even the Scrapper Helm... all which have their own really cool Armor Skills. Then again, you have to find all those other cool armor options!

Are weapons dropped within the world or is it just crafting?

Standard Weapons are typically purchased or discovered though exploration or quests. Boss weapons are rewarded by crafting after obtaining the rare boss material. You might do a quest which takes you to a store-room at the end that has beastly Tommy Gun waiting for you, but if you want the gun that shoots a swarm of Bees... you are going to have to kill a boss for it.

Any plans for something similar to the Bloodborne chalice dungeon? I.e randomly generated dungeons for added replay potential.

How are you planning of keeping the game fresh? Are you looking at Diablo style seasons, or just dlc content over the coming months?

Is the game more focused around running entire levels for loot or quick runs for boss loot? Diablo 2 was mainly about running to bosses quickly, D3 is a little more about doing the level as you head to bosses.

The whole game is randomly generated within guidelines. In Adventure Mode, you will also be able to re-roll a single biome (which, again, will be spawned procedural within some guidelines). I'm not sure if Adventure Mode will make day 1 release, but it would be very soon after and it would be completely free. So no worries there.

We ALSO have some ideas for a different mode that lets you play an entirely different way. I can't speak on that right now but I can say that it isn't a Horde mode, and wouldn't play like the main game or Adventure Mode. =)

As far as your dungeon focus; we wanted it to be about exploring. A lot of the gear you have to find in the world. Each gear piece is world-specific so you you don't have to run multiple biomes to just get one ring you want. In Adventure Mode you'll be able to just re-roll Earth, for example, to ensure you have another shot at it spawning the stuff you are looking for.

We also award exploring by awarding free Trait Points via Book of Knowledge (name TBD). You'll find these in many nooks and crannies around the world... and since there are WELL over 600 (SIX HUNDRED) total Trait points to be spent, you'll definitely want to find as many of these as you can. Note: You also just get Trait points through experience.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I may have missed it. How is upclose fighting handled. Just a generic weapon of some kind or are those also moddable?

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The art is so good in this game, amazing stuff really, I hope for the best and can't wait to dive in as this seems like something I'd love to explore, I'm wondering, are you guys gonna start ramping up social marketing (Twitch, Youtube) starting July or near the release date? Would love to see more buzz around this.
You should check us out on Twitter (@Remnant_Game). We're constantly sharing info on the game and we have a whole bunch more cool stuff to show off.

I may have missed it. How is upclose fighting handled. Just a generic weapon of some kind or are those also moddable?
Melee weapons are upgradeable, but do not have a mod slot. Each archetype starts with a different weapon, though like with the guns, you can buy the starting weapon of any of the other archetypes. There's a bunch of melee weapons and they each have their own unique feel, animations, combos and stats, so you definitely want to find the one that works for your play style.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
You should check us out on Twitter (@Remnant_Game). We're constantly sharing info on the game and we have a whole bunch more cool stuff to show off.

Melee weapons are upgradeable, but do not have a mod slot. Each archetype starts with a different weapon, though like with the guns, you can buy the starting weapon of any of the other archetypes. There's a bunch of melee weapons and they each have their own unique feel, animations, combos and stats, so you definitely want to find the one that works for your play style.

Don't forget, there are also boss melee weapons that have unique affixes (Flaming, Bleed, Life Leech, etc).

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks stoked!

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Any word on the content support after release? Expansion-based, DLC's?
We're hoping to support the game for a while after release with both paid and free DLC. As Tragic mentioned, Adventure Mode may not make launch, but if not, it would come shortly after for free.

Sweet. Always glad to hear it. If you can't tell, everyone working on this game is super hyped on it. Can't wait for everyone to check it out.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
tragic, go ask for a raise and/or promotion on behalf of me :P
I'm pre-ordering it now since the price is good, I like Gunfire Games and the work done on Darksiders 3 (finished the game before any "nerf" to the difficulty arrived - loved it) and...you taking the time to answer the questions here.

Of course the fact that I liked the answers you gave is also a big factor ^^

I'm going to be repelling The Root starting this August.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any plans for a new biome? I checked out the 4 that have been mentioned and while they have their differences, they all have a bit of a mute pallete (makes sense considering the game's setting is post-apocalyptic), will the game get something a bit more out there in terms of environment?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Been watching some of the videos etc and I am hyped. Combat looks interesting and varied, like the variety of enemies and bosses.

Has anything been said about Pro or 1X enhancements for the console versions?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Have there been any plans for a new biome? I checked out the 4 that have been mentioned and while they have their differences, they all have a bit of a mute pallete (makes sense considering the game's setting is post-apocalyptic), will the game get something a bit more out there in terms of environment?

There's always talk about what we are going to do next. We WANT the game to live on and be a foundation for lots more content, but that depends on how the game is received by players. We think that by releasing a quality game made by a smaller team with lots of fun content, great replayability, all at a more-than-fair price, we will turn some heads. If that resonates with players, then you can bet on more biomes, more weapons, more bosses, more ways to play, and just all around more love from Gunfire and Perfect World.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Wow cool i'd never heard of this before and now it's one of my most anticipated games after watching that trailer. Looks like Monster Hunter with guns and a more western design aesthetic, excellent creature design and the 3rd person viewpoint and shooting mechanic makes it feel fresh, very impressive.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Wow cool i'd never heard of this before and now it's one of my most anticipated games after watching that trailer. Looks like Monster Hunter with guns and a more western design aesthetic, excellent creature design and the 3rd person viewpoint and shooting mechanic makes it feel fresh, very impressive.
The creature design is crazy, would love to see the concept arts after release.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the answers in here have sold at least two copies for my household.

Yay Austin game dev!

Thanks! Every sale counts, as you well know!

Are you able to answer the question about what kind of resolution and performance we can expect on the PS4 Pro/ X1X? He didn't seem to have that information.

That's a tough one, and I will have to dig into that a bit more. I will have to ask around to find out any performance differences on Pro or X1X.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Are you able to answer the question about what kind of resolution and performance we can expect on the PS4 Pro/ X1X? He didn't seem to have that information.
Ok, did a little digging for this. As I understand it, nothing has been locked in with regards to Pro and XB1X, but we are aiming for 4K. Once we have finalized that, we'll be sure to let people know, but I can't commit just yet.

DashReindeer

Any info on how co-op connection is handled? I presume it will be server base match making but P2P connection.

Co-op is all P2P with a lobby system for finding co-op partners.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This looks absolutely amazing but the back half of 2019 is already LOADED with stuff and I don't know if I have the time on my hands. Cross-play (or even cross-save) would be a huge benefit.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This looks absolutely amazing but the back half of 2019 is already LOADED with stuff and I don't know if I have the time on my hands. Cross-play (or even cross-save) would be a huge benefit.
Hey Dash! On this topic, do you happen to know anything about possible cross platform play?
That's a tricky one, because as of now crossplay is not supported. However, I do see this asked about a lot and if it's achievable, it is something I would like to push the team on. Sorry I don't have better news now, but we will for sure look into it.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If we can get 60fps on Pro as an option and not just a 4K mode that would be great as I think a lot of folks would choose FPS over res. Assuming it's not at 60 already.
I know the team is looking at enhancements on both platforms and I do believe 60 fps is a consideration, but I also know that nothing has been decided just yet.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
For those that are interested or not at work, Gunfire is doing another stream tomorrow with new gameplay @ 7pm GMT

Well they just cancelled the stream....

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This game was completely off my radar until today. Having seen a couple of gameplay vids, I'm now super interested in it. It looks very polished.

Feels like a shooter based souls like game with looting.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Stream now...looks awesome.

www.twitch.tv

Fextralife - Twitch

Fextralife is a gaming community & game news source fueled by a team of dedicated gamers! We play Action, Adventure and RPGs, some Survival & FPS too!. Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3 hype! Check out our 200+ Wikis, reviews on Youtube & more! This week STREAMS: BG3, Overwatch, Genshin Impact!

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
I can answer any questions about the game (within reason). Let me know!
Haha. Yup. He and I work on the game on the Perfect World end. He's pretty obsessed with this game and is probably the most skilled at it in our office. I think he was excited to get to show it off on stream finally last week.
You folks should get preview code over to Giant Bomb if you haven't done so. I got the impression from a recent Bombcast when they were listing off upcoming releases they don't know that this on the horizon.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You folks should get preview code over to Giant Bomb if you haven't done so. I got the impression from a recent Bombcast when they were listing off upcoming releases they don't know that this on the horizon.
Pretty sure we invited them to our preview event last week. Maybe people ned to start Tweeting at Jeff Gerstmann to get us on their radar.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the double post and self promotion, but we started a new video series discussing and playing the game with some members of our dev team. This is a new type of feature for us, so I hope you all like it. I believe our very own Tragic is gonna be in the next episode...

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I just discovered this off reddit and was delighted to see part of the environment and lore is shared with their Oculus game from a few years back Chronos, which was an amazing Souls-like with incredible world and enemy design.

All players begin in Ward 13, an underground bunker serving as a last refuge for humanity. It houses NPCs that sell gear and crafting materials and upgrade what you already have. Each has their own story and will respond to what you've been doing in the world, providing better loot as the game goes on. When you're ready to leave the safety of home, you place your hands on a glowing red waypoint crystal and teleport to the surface. That crystal is one of the nods to the fact that Remnant shares the same universe as Gunfire's 2016 RPG Chronos. You'll also spot some similarities in items and in the jungle world of Pan.

"I think Chronos as a universe excited us so much that we weren't done with it," Snyder said. "There's a lot to explore."

REM_Date_03.png