• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Combat designer was the lead combat designer on Darksiders 2. This is going to be awesome.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I must admit, I am hyped for this game but finding time between MHW and BL3 is going to be tricky.

Been watching plenty of footage and the only issue I have is that the maps seem a little...um...flat. There does not seem to be a lot of verticality in the map design. Its mostly open zones with monsters ready to cave my skull in.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I must admit, I am hyped for this game but finding time between MHW and BL3 is going to be tricky.

Been watching plenty of footage and the only issue I have is that the maps seem a little...um...flat. There does not seem to be a lot of verticality in the map design. Its mostly open zones with monsters ready to cave my skull in.
Aren't maps randomly generated? I swear I heard it in a video, maybe form Gamespot. Well even if they aren't they feel like it.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raide Parmenide v.o.n

Here was tragic's post about how the campaign is generated.

I have good news for you.

First off, the game is 100% solo'able. There's nothing in the game that requires multiplayer (except maybe unlocking a trait or two that are used for multiplayer). You can see all the content, do all the dungeons, and kill all the bosses by yourself, 100% guaranteed.

Secondly, to answer your first question last, the game actually isn't "too random" IMO... but of course, that's just my opinion, so let me explain:

As you've probably seen in some videos, the campaign is generated with a set of guidelines. These are the rules that determine your route through the game. Think of it like this...

Imagine taking a road trip from California (San Francisco) to Texas (Austin). The route planned says "you must drive south, pass through Arizona, then New Mexico, and then Texas". Those are the basic guidelines.

Then the engine says "you must stop at 4 gas stations in each state, and eat at 2 diners... one for breakfast, one for dinner".

That's basically it.

We can guarantee you will see certain story moments because we know you will go from CA to AZ to NM to TX, but we don't know what gas stations you will stop at (we've build way more than 4) and we don't know what diners you will eat at (we've build way more than two). Along the way, you might veer off on a side road, or go to a third diner, or stop at a different gas station, but that's up to you. In fact, they may appear, they may not, but the original guidelines will ensure that at least the base amount will spawn. Which ones actually spawn though, are random.

So, now imagine CA is Earth, AZ is Wasteland, NM is Yaesha, TX is Swamp. Imagine those gas stations could be Texaco, or Shell, or Exxon, or BP, or Chevron, or Marathon, or Tesoro, or Rotten Robbie, or Valero, or Parker's. Each of them are biome themed and offer different stuff... and as mentioned, the engine only ensures you go to 4 of them in each state.

Now imagine those diners are TGIF or Applebees (LOL) or Cheesecake Factory or Red Robin or Black Angus or Bucca di Beppo or Claim Jumpers. Again, these "diners" would all be biome themed and have unique... "dishes" to serve.

When Chevron spawns on your route, you know that you can get X from the gift store. When Valero spawns, you can get Y. When Marathon spawns, you can get Z.

Same for the diners... except with bigger and better rewards.

OK, this analogy got out of hand real quick. The point is...

We have a set of guidelines and... now I'm hungry.

[F]

The idea of this system is so that a) you never see the same thing twice in a single play-through, b) each run/campaign is laid out differently BUT it has a set of rails, so to speak, to keep you heading to the final destination, and c) when you re-roll the campaign (or adventure more) you'll never get the same route.

Also, you literally cannot see and get everything by playing through the game once. It's impossible... because every world has multiple world bosses and you only fight one each run (per biome), every Biome has multiple mini-bosses which work similarly. Every mini-boss has random modifiers. Every area has different world drops as well... BUT, as I said, there are a set of guidelines.

You will know that you can eventually get everything in a biome because multiple elements are tied to "events" that spawn in the world. We may have 10 world-drop items that can appear from exploration. As you pick up 1, there's now 9 that can spawn in the same amount of event spots. Once you get 2, now there are 8. The game rewards playing again and again.

Plus, Adventure Mode will allow you to roll a single biome with no story elements and only part of the aforementioned "route". "I JUST WANNA PLAY ARIZONA OVER AND OVER!" Cool, do it!

Anyway, sorry for the ridiculous analogy. I'll see myself out.

As for each of the world you visit, it's very "Diablo" in that each of them has a base theme, but the rooms are assembled into levels procedurally each time you play. At least, that is how I understand it.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Hopefully the developers pop in here soon to answer questions about the VIP weekend. If there busy that's cool tho I mean I'll probably pre order it anyway 😂

Oct 27, 2017
So the preview weekend will allow you to play the game August 16-18, then take the game away from you for a day while officially releasing it on the 20th? Seems super weird to me. Just let the folks who pre-order the game have access to it starting on the 16th and be done with it. In any case I'm super excited for this as a Darksiders fan (especially the art direction) and looter-shooter fan in general as well.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I want this to be good so badly, it's very rare to find a game that ticks all the boxes of exactly what I like but I think this game definaltey has it covered. Just a bit worried there isn't more coverage especially when it's so close to release and when it looks so good. I've even managed to convince 3 other mates to buy it (one even bought a Ps4 Pro lol) so we can form a squad from day 1, fingers crossed but I believe in you devs!

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I haven't seen details about how the VIP access works. As in, is it only Fri/Sat/Sun, then we lose access for Monday and can play again on Tuesday, or do we just get early access starting Friday through release.
That's what I'd like to know too.
If we preorder before the 16, then we get early access, but if we (pre)order after the 16 we only get access from the 20?
Is that how it's supposed to work?
Wait. Is this true? That's stupid.

It looks like access begins at 9pm PST/Midnight EST/5am UK Friday 16th/Saturday 17th. It also looks like this is being called 'VIP access' by the devs and they've talked about it being a '4 day early access to the full game' in the reddit Q&A: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/co6htm/we_are_gunfire_games_developers_of_remnant_from/

Also some tweets say the same:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I want this to be good so badly, it's very rare to find a game that ticks all the boxes of exactly what I like but I think this game definaltey has it covered. Just a bit worried there isn't more coverage especially when it's so close to release and when it looks so good. I've even managed to convince 3 other mates to buy it (one even bought a Ps4 Pro lol) so we can form a squad from day 1, fingers crossed but I believe in you devs!
3 other guys? You know one of them is gonna get left out, right? It is only 3 player coop. I feel bad for that extra dude :'(

Also I agree that the game seems to be lacking coverage. I also feel the artstyle/level design is a little on the bland side from the previews so far. I know it is randomly generated but all of the generated levels seem to... How do I put it....? They lack
verticality in the map design.
Exactly. That's it!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
3 other guys? You know one of them is gonna get left out, right? It is only 3 player coop. I feel bad for that extra dude :'(

Also I agree that the game seems to be lacking coverage. I also feel the artstyle/level design is a little on the bland side from the previews so far. I know it is randomly generated but all of the generated levels seem to... How do I put it....? They lack

Exactly. That's it!
I wanted some more Souls style navigating the world's up and down but it seems it's basically random zones stitched together. Unless I am massively missing something, there does not seem to be ways to progress vertically in the the world. I guess it's way more complicated to have random generation and put verticality into it.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Is this true? That's stupid.
I say that because the Steam store page makes it sound like that's the case...

Pre-order Remnant: From the Ashes to guarantee early access to the game in our VIP Preview Weekend before the game releases on August 20, 2019

...including "Weekend" is really what makes me think it's only a 3-day "preview" of the game before release which, again, would be weird given that it releases "officially" on the 20th. Hopefully we get some clarity on it soon.

Edit: I see in the post above that the devs supposedly spoke about "VIP access" being a 4-day early access to the full-game so maybe we already have confirmation of that. Still, weird wording using "Preview Weekend" if it's really the full-game releasing to players who pre-ordered which have full access to the game just like a normal release day. I'm obviously not complaining about that but rather the communication could have been a bit better.

Last edited:

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I see in the post above that the devs supposedly spoke about "VIP access" being a 4-day early access to the full-game so maybe we already have confirmation of that. Still, weird wording using "Preview Weekend" if it's really the full-game releasing to players who pre-ordered which have full access to the game just like a normal release day. I'm obviously not complaining about that but rather the communication could have been a bit better.

Yep, that's what's weird. If we consider a preorder any purchase before the 20th and any preorder gives you early access to the game, then that's like having the 16th as the actual release date. Unless the only preorders qualifying for early access are those before the 16th...
Some clarity would be great.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Heeeeeh damn man I really didn't want to read something like that but here goes :

"Originally posted by "Gunfire Games":
The differences in difficulties are EXP gain only. We don't want people to feel like they are missing out for not playing a harder (or the hardest) mode so we made the EXP gain compensation for the time involvement required."

VERY wrong move here. Nobody remotely serious will bother playing this more than 3 weeks period. If you cant keep player engaged with itemisation / rewards, most of your playerbase will flock to Borderlands 3

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Heeeeeh damn man I really didn't want to read something like that but here goes :

VERY wrong move here. Nobody remotely serious will bother playing this more than 3 weeks period. If you cant keep player engaged with itemisation / rewards, most of your playerbase will flock to Borderlands 3
I'm not sure they were ever competing with that.
This is a much smaller scale game, with some "Dark Souls with guns" vibes. It's not an item based dungeon crawler.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm not sure they were ever competing with that.
This is a much smaller scale game, with some "Dark Souls with guns" vibes. It's not an item based dungeon crawler.

i dont think it really matters, people wanna be rewarded when playing at higher difficulty with proper loot tiers or at least better equipment

Even Bloodborne has this, since you need to do chalice runs in NG+ to get better weapons, yet its not exactly a looter. Shame

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i dont think it really matters, people wanna be rewarded when playing at higher difficulty with proper loot tiers or at least better equipment

Even Bloodborne has this, since you need to do chalice runs in NG+ to get better weapons, yet its not exactly a looter. Shame
I mean, you get rewarded with more XP.
it's just not the kind of game you thought it was. it doesn't have randomly generated loot.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I mean, you get rewarded with more XP.
it's just not the kind of game you thought it was. it doesn't have randomly generated loot.

ok, i wanted a dark souls / bloodborne with guns. if it doesnt offer better weapons like in said souls games at higher difficulty, there's no point. people wont play it only for the challenge. why lose your time only to get xp

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yea that's a shame. There should be incentives for harder difficulties.

I know the combat is inspired by Souls but wonder about the level design seeing as it's randomized.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
ok, i wanted a dark souls / bloodborne with guns. if it doesnt offer better weapons like in said souls games at higher difficulty, there's no point. people wont play it only for the challenge. why lose your time only to get xp
are those weapons in Bloodborne entirely new weapons or just the same weapons but with different stats?
cause in this game, you just upgrade your weapons to +20 or something and then you put a mod on them to give them some magic abilities.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
are those weapons in Bloodborne entirely new weapons or just the same weapons but with different stats?
cause in this game, you just upgrade your weapons to +20 or something and then you put a mod on them to give them some magic abilities.

they got different tiers and you can slot in different gems which in turn are giving a hefty boost to your base damage

actually ... now im really uncertain if you need to be in NG+ to get the beyond normal versions

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Hey all, I've just put together a little (or well actually... very long) graphic for new people to the game. I've been pretty excited for this game for a few months now and wanted to make a little something for people just finding out about the game. Just surface level stuff about archetypes, worlds and touch a little on gear. Hope you all like it :)

9d8G7JN.jpg

for now the title i have for ot is : Remnant From The Ashes: A New Soul Rises From The Ashes

feel free to suggest others
I'm really excited to see what you do with the OT :) I hope we get a bit of a community for the game growing in the OT, as it looks awesome to me. I can't wait to play it this weekend.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ex Cultist for me, mainly due to the heal skill but I am interested to see how healer/support heavy you can build a character.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in the game. I was waiting for Darksiders 3 to be about Strife since I would love to see how they would make Hack'n'Slash mechanics with a gunman (Is this the right word?). This game looks to me like the closest thing to that and probably as a reference point for them for a Darksiders 4? (I'm finishing Darksiders 3 these days).

PD: Also would love to see how the game runs with Steam Proton. Darksiders 3 runs good enough, but could be better. Hoping some Linux users can get their hands on that beta or something...

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Went from "never heard of it" to "hey I want to play this weekend" in only 2 days.
Still uncertain about the longevity though and how to get my group to pick this up.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Hm...I'm curious though pessimistic about the longevity and content. Also the loot. Will it make me want to come back? Why is it a looter shooter aside from simply a Left for Dead esque game? What makes the rush for better loot worth it?

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Hm...I'm curious though pessimistic about the longevity and content. Also the loot. Will it make me want to come back? Why is it a looter shooter aside from simply a Left for Dead esque game? What makes the rush for better loot worth it?

i mean there is loot but its not a pure shooter looter

armors got unique perks / resistances as well as set bonuses, weapons got their own signature skill and you need to down some bosses to get specific craft materials. Since bosses are randomly generated, you wont necessarily get what you need in one campaign's run. Also you need to level up traits which I assume is the main draw of higher difficulties since you get more xp by running those

I'm guessing the main appeal is to get everything available and level all the traits of all the characters, as of now

more content is scheduled down the line, expansions etc so they'll surely flesh it out on the go which is not unusual in that genre

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
i mean there is loot but its not a pure shooter looter

armors got unique perks / resistances as well as set bonuses, weapons got their own signature skill and you need to down some bosses to get specific craft materials. Since bosses are randomly generated, you wont necessarily get what you need in one campaign's run. Also you need to level up traits which I assume is the main draw of higher difficulties since you get more xp by running those

I'm guessing the main appeal is to get everything available and level all the traits of all the characters, as of now

more content is scheduled down the line, expansions etc so they'll surely flesh it out on the go which is not unusual in that genre

But my question is what do you "need" the loot for? I feel like this is a Left for Dead-type game dressed up as a Looter Shooter. Which is fine, but might not be what I was looking for.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
But my question is what do you "need" the loot for? I feel like this is a Left for Dead-type game dressed up as a Looter Shooter. Which is fine, but might not be what I was looking for.
Like with every game like this you use the loot to kill new enemies with and get new loot. You also can change your playstyle up a bit with the loot. Most people will probably beat the campaign in co-op a few times to see some bosses and then shelf it

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017

Oh hey thanks for letting me know lol, I will let one of the guys know who was not super interested and is instead looking forward to Borderlands 3 more.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is disappointing really fell in love with everything I have seen/heard so far about the game and I wanted to pre order it today but for some reason there is no option to Pre order on PSN anymore.