• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Truly shocked they are not individual characters. Hope they got some moves from Stimpy's Invention on the Genesis, haha.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
So John K is making royalties off this?

Awkward...

No he isn't thankfully. Back in the 90s Nickelodeon retained full rights to the IP once they were made. I think the only thing he made money off of were the DVD sales of season 1 and 2.

While this is an anti-creator practice (that I don't remember if it still exists or not), in this case, I'm glad he makes nothing.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so they are a duo fighter, which means there's an extra character out there, so that's good.

Stimpy looks fine, but man does Ren look sort of...off. Maybe it's just a matter of that style not really working super well for 3D.

No he isn't thankfully. Back in the 90s Nickelodeon retained full rights to the IP once they were made. I think the only thing he made money off of were the DVD sales of season 1 and 2.

While this is an anti-creator practice (that I don't remember if it still exists or not), in this case, I'm glad he makes nothing.
That sounds about right. I think he makes all that he's allowed to make off of APC, but uhhh yeah, let's not talk about APC ever again.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Would pay $20 for DLC that merely adds voicelines and quips for the whole roster, lol

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think he is? I'm pretty sure Nick fully owns R&S, like how Microsoft fully owns Minecraft with no further involvement/investment from Notch.

Well that's something...

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
recently saw some ren and stimpy episodes and that shit was nasty and crazy for a 90s cartoon, wonder what my parents thought when I watched it back then. The climb inside my belly song is an LSD / acid trip đź‘€

No audio/character voices or even sound clips from their own shows is really making this not a day one title
Legit the only sounds were smacks in a gameplay video

that being said if timmys dad or Jimmy's dad or Doug Dimmadome owner of the dimsdale dimmadomes makes the roster then I'm in day one

Hopefully it's something they can add later cause it hurts the presentation a lot imo
Like wtf is even the point of having Nigel Thornberry there without his voice

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
DUO FIGHTER YES

And they even work how I expected, more like a single fighter and not like Ice Climbers. Totally wanna main them.

Also, this means two things:

1. The Garfield leak is definitely real. They look exactly like their models from that image.

2. When you take the Avatar characters into account, we still have one unleaked, totally unknown character left for the 22 character roster.
It never even occurred to me that Nickelodeon owns Avatar and whatever ends up being true I am all for it. More Avatar, always. I also had no clue there even were leaks for this game. REALLY glad you phrased your spoiler the way you did (the image popped up when I quoted but I only saw the main part briefly. No harm)

Yeah but this is the first official announcement for their reveal and the first details we're getting on their moveset.
And some people had no idea leaks existed! I rarely got to watch Ren & Stimpy as a kid, parents didn't really approve of it but my mom would let me watch a little every now and then. I was a Rocko's Modern Life kid.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
are there summons in this game? Will we be able to bring out the dancing lobsters?

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

This is an interesting point.. Hope its true.

That'd be huge. I have a few friends who are interested in the game but probably wouldn't get it right away so if it were on PS+ that'd be great.

Also comes out on the first Tuesday of next month, to add some more fuel to the fire.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
A PS+ release would be cool, definitely a way for me to try it out before putting money towards it.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Figured they'd be a duo. Otherwise R&S would have three fighters along with Powdered Toast Man, and it doesn't strike me as a 3-character franchise for current Nick in the way Spongebob, TMNT, or Avatar could be.

Unless it became NASB's Fire Emblem. :P Then we could get Mr. Horse, I guess.

This is an interesting point.. Hope its true.

Or the PS Store is just being slow with preorders like it often is. I wouldn't take this as anything. The game's a $50 retail title, I don't think they want to give it away, even if it would build a player base quickly.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This is great but I am STILL waiting for Hey Arnold's grandma to be announced as a playable character. What the heck, Nickelodeon??

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I know I'm in a very small minority when I say I do not and never have enjoyed watching Ren and Stimpy and the whole art style just turns me off. That said, I know this will bring happy happy joy joy to a lot of people who planned on buying this game anyway, so whatever. I'm still waiting for Jenny.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's cool that the development team for this game are going in deep with referencing stuff for the characters of their respective NickToons show to a tee, which is neat.

There is a reboot coming to Comedy Central, apparently. The previous (awful, awful) revival and the creator being an outed predator does not have me interested (though he apparently has no involvement with the new thing).

Whichever way you slice it, the Ren and Stimpy IP is tainted fruit, and rebooting this series will always be a horrible idea. Even if you loved the show back in the day, and that's fine, it's never going to escape the shadow of it's original creator looming over it. His lasting legacy as an unrepentant predator & child groomer is going to stick, no matter what happens.

Deleted member 2279

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
well john k's victims have very publicly asked people not to support future R&S projects because even without his name on them, they still boost his profile.

he is a child rapist and seeing this game celebrated here is the most disappointed i've ever been in this community.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Rocko and Fairly Odd Parents definitely biggest omissions given we already know Avatar has characters in the game.

That Garfield leak is so weird. Is it possible that only the Garfield model was fake and everything else is real? I would think "who would go through the effort of doing that" but then I remember the Grinch leak and I will never underestimate what idiots want to waste their time doing again

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Whichever way you slice it, the Ren and Stimpy IP is tainted fruit, and rebooting this series will always be a horrible idea. Even if you loved the show back in the day, and that's fine, it's never going to escape the shadow of it's original creator looming over it. His lasting legacy as an unrepentant predator & child groomer is going to stick, no matter what happens.

Not to take away from the victims, but he is also a progenitor of unhealthy idolization and abusive behavior in the animation field. Verbaly berating and putting down his staff when they couldn't be up to his vague standards and having them work up to late hours redrawing material only to throw them away again.

And in early interviews, (often shown on Nick) these traits were seen as admirable and something to aspire to as a showrunner. Aired for kids in the 90s when Nickelodeon was just embracing the idea of creator driven cartoons.

I know of more than a few aspiring animation kids who took unhealthy lessons from those things growing up.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Not to take away from the victims, but he is also a progenitor of unhealthy idolization and abusive behaviour in the animation field. Verbally berating and putting down his staff when they couldn't be up to his vague standards and having them work up to late hours redrawing material only to throw them away again.

And in early interviews, (often shown on Nick) these traits were seen as admirable and something to aspire to as a showrunner. Aired for kids in the 90s when Nickelodeon was just embracing the idea of creator driven cartoons.

I know of more than a few aspiring animation kids who took unhealthy lessons from those things growing up.

If you treat people with respect, they'll usually do the same for you. It applies to any professional working field, animation or otherwise, so I always remind those fresh faces who are entering the field of animation that you shouldn't treat your co-workers as being expendable. It will not only bite you in the ass down the road, but it will make it next-to-impossible to find work if word goes around. It's a tiny industry, and you really don't want to be blacklisted if you're "that guy" being difficult to work with or are abusive in some capacity.

Anyway, the stories that I've heard (both from people who had worked at Spumco or had interacted with John K. in some capacity) makes my gut turn to knots. When I went to PAX West in 2017, I saw Katie Rice at Artist Alley & she was selling books of her web comics (Skadi the Barbarian and Camp Weedonwantcha) and doing paid art commissions. After I got a copy of volume one of Camp Weedonwantcha (which she had taken the time to sign for me), while I was talking to her, I noticed she looked like she was going to have a nervous breakdown as she was communicating to me in a timid/mousy tone.

She did seem like a sweet person, despite looking like a nervous wreck at the time, and I do hope she's doing well. No one deserves to go under what she went through (in addition to John's other victims).

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_ok742oheuw1u0bi6jo2_400.gifv

tumblr_m94ggmrm9s1qgpdkio1_500.gif