• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
www.michigansthumb.com

Michigan woman tries to hire a hitman on fake 'Rent-A-Hitman' website to kill ex-husband

A Michigan woman has been arrested in a murder-for-hire plot that came unravelled thanks...

Wein wanted her ex-husband dead. But she didn't want to kill him herself and didn't know anyone she trusted to do it for her. So she did what a lot of people do when they have a job they can't or don't want to do themselves — she searched for help on the Internet.

On RentAHitman.com.

What Wein found was presumably reassuring. The website promised her confidentiality. It boasted of industry awards. It showed off testimonials of satisfied customers, including one from Laura S., who had "caught my husband cheating with the babysitter." The website bragged about complying with HIPPA, which it said was "the Hitman Information Privacy & Protection Act of 1964," a nod to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, the law passed in 1996 to protect patients' medical information.

Last edited:

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
www.michigansthumb.com

Michigan woman tries to hire a hitman on fake 'Rent-A-Hitman' website to kill ex-husband

A Michigan woman has been arrested in a murder-for-hire plot that came unravelled thanks...

What Wein found was presumably reassuring. The website promised her confidentiality. It boasted of industry awards. It showed off testimonials of satisfied customers, including one from Laura S., who had "caught my husband cheating with the babysitter." The website bragged about complying with HIPPA, which it said was "the Hitman Information Privacy & Protection Act of 1964," a nod to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, the law passed in 1996 to protect patients' medical information.

OMG

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, people actually have much less media literacy than you'd think.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Due to contractual restrictions, Rent-A-Hitman is no longer affiliated with Diners Club, Kanye West, the Illuminati, Rudolph Giuliani, Alec Baldwin or Kyle Rittenhouse.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty hilarious/scary considering how much of an obvious joke the site is.

I'm afraid that even clicking on that is going to put me on some kind of watch list now.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
This banner ad on that site is pretty great too:
rs=h:100,cg:true

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
when i watched a lot more investigative discovery it seemed like a good chunk of their stories were women getting caught trying to hire a hitman who always turned out to be a police officer.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
Someone should make a rival site called wet-work, and see how many visitors buy it, or were looking for something else entirely 😱

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if being a hit man is still a thing? Seems like a job that is a lot harder with todays forensics
Nah, modern forensics is why hit man is still a thing. You can't just off someone yourself or you'll get caught. You need a professional who knows how to cover their tracks, police their brass, etc. CSI is basically job security for the hit man industry.

Plus the other advantage of outsourcing is that it adds a layer of indirection. Strangers on a Train style. The guy with a beef can have an airtight alibi since they actually didn't do it, and the person pulling the trigger won't come up on the cops' radar by asking around for motive. If you're worried about getting caught, hiring a hitman just makes sense.

Oct 15, 2021
Nah, modern forensics is why hit man is still a thing. You can't just off someone yourself or you'll get caught. You need a professional who knows how to cover their tracks, police their brass, etc. CSI is basically job security for the hit man industry.

Plus the other advantage of outsourcing is that it adds a layer of indirection. Strangers on a Train style. The guy with a beef can have an airtight alibi since they actually didn't do it, and the person pulling the trigger won't come up on the cops' radar by asking around for motive. If you're worried about getting caught, hiring a hitman just makes sense.

thank you for breaking this down, all good points.

If I'm ever in a bind, hitman it is.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
"I'm now single and ready to mingle" 🤣

nothing more attractive than somebody who got their previous partner murked