• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
No. They absolutely would not. We know this because of the Gulf War, which did not have nearly the level of casualties present when we drove Iraq out of Kuwait. This is due to factors including a massive improvement in technological ability, those technological upgrades increasing our capacity to wage war and our ability to effectively target, and yes, the Geneva conventions now existing.

No, because we can apply pressure economically and should be doing so in order to push them to change their policies. We do have a unique relationship with the country and we should be using that to help alter their behavior. Are you seriously arguing that the US should do this?

None of this was good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War#Civilian_deaths_and_massacres None of it's defensible.

The US did not go there alone. You say "evil communists" dismissively, but after the last 70 years or so, "evil" is unfortunately a pretty accurate word to describe the North Korean government.

Unfortunately this is actually what Trump did. He loosened the tarrgeting restrictions for those types of actionsthat had been put in place over the course of the Obama administration almost immediately upon taking office w/ those types of actions.

Good. And forgive me, I'm several drinks into a good friday night and talking about these atrocities are not typically what I call a good friday night, so bear with me.

The reason I'm bringing up this up is because your posts were ringing of american jingoism. This John Wayne fantasy America has crafted involving all of its foreign policy decisions in the 20th century which have led to some peace but also millions of dead bodies and extinguished lines.

Yes, Soviet Union initially fucked up by declaring an illegal state. Yes, Kim Il-sung was a cult of personality dictator on the rise who was looking to conquer all of Korea from day 1. I don't know if he would've done a . Yes, China fucked up by allying itself with these states. And yes, the UN and USA were justified in their anger at the Soviets not giving a damn about what they were doing and encouraging.

That's where it ends for me though. I refuse to engage in discussion where we even try to entertain America AND SK's holocaust level atrocities as needed, appropriate, or good in the long run. Just something bad done for the greater good. NK wasn't some hellbeast intent on conquering and massacring, they were just another tribe looking to fight over a fraction of a dot. Same as SK. Same as USA. Same as Russia. Same as China.

So bringing this back to the present, I can understand why Obama drone striked his way across the Middle East. And also understand why he allied with Saudi Arabia, giving them some of the best deals on weapons and equipment than any President before him for any country, to stop an incursion of an asshole state in Iran. I understand it, but I don't accept it. I don't accept Yemen becoming the greatest humanitarian disaster in recent history, largely do the foundations Obama built for...what? Personal pride? Subservience to the military industrial complex?

Just saying we learned the wrong lessons from WW2. Sure, you gotta fight sometimes because humans be humans. We lie, cheat, and kill for quite literally nothing. But at some point, if you hail yourself as some fighter for democracy and you parade yourself as a victor of human rights, at what point do your own actions make you the "baddie" to the point where you question why you've done what you done?

America still hasn't learned from JFK's 1960 speech about shared responsibility for why evil persists. Hell, JFK ignored himself shortly after becoming president so I get why we still do it. But here today and now, we can make a difference and say enough's enough after looking at decades of needless bloodshed and tensions, especially now with climate change coming to fuck us all regardless of borders.

Oooooooor, we can continue emulating this cartoon from 1899:
US-imperialism-cartoon-800-474-80.jpg

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

It's why criticism from within the party should be proudly welcomed, rather than pushing it off until "a better time"

Here's hoping the young and progressive voices like Omar and AOC with the old guard like Warren and Sanders can change the democratic party into one that actually addresses these issues rather than spending time covering them up and telling people they can't be helped.

Great post. I myself am guilty of this, but moving forward I don't think we can continue with just being complacent in just winning an election.

Let's demand that they be better.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slinging rhetoric that writes Obama off as nothing but a failure. Yeah some people are entirely justified in their opinions about her.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Slinging rhetoric that writes Obama off as nothing but a failure. Yeah some people are entirely justified in their opinions about her.

See I don't think she does that either though.

Maybe it's just me but I just feel like people don't want to see the forest for the trees here on this. Either she's calling Obama a total failure or, as she wants to do in her tweet condemning the article, paint herself as a total fangirl.

Like, it's okay y'all. You can generally like Obama but think he dropped the ball on some stuff. Damn.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
The quote in the subject was made up (as far as we know right now). Maybe the "longer tape" the reporter mentioned will have something to base that on.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not what I said but twisting words is such an enjoyable pastime, isn't it?
I mean is "the UN decided it" supposed to be a sufficient excuse? If you think genocide is justified under certain conditions, then just say it.

It seems people want to believe "I'm against genocide in any scenario" but also think "genocide is sometimes necessary and there's nothing we can do about it". Lots people of people go on about how much nuance there is here, but they won't come out and cleanly say:

"I'm okay with genocide given sufficient justification".

The reason you (not just you and not necessarily you, but most of the people waffling about "well maybe some imperialism is good) don't want to say this out loud is a straightforward example of cognitive dissonance. Your moral side says "no, never genocide". Your analytic side says "if the right people sign off on it, if it means saving more lives in the long run, if it means defending your own, if it means liberating people from tyranny, it's justifiable". The way you resolve this contradiction is by appealing to "nuance" and saying "it's complicated", to prevent having to reconcile your analytic side (that's okay with genocide) and your moral side (that isn't).

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Wow AOC was like "I feel we need to all breathe fire" and Ilhan has been doing it. With that said she's not lying at all, but goes at the very core of what/whp Dems like to this they are.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You win the election and then don't do shit because that is the best way to make sure you win the next election.

Because the system is broken,

WHICH IS WHAT ILHAN OMAR IS COMPLAINING ABOUT.

Fuck me.
Indeed. Like, the clearest example if this is part of what started this while commotion over representative Omar to begin with, the Israel-Palestine conflict and if we're handling it properly or if we should be changing up the approach and doing more to help.

Currently each time Democrats obtain power they don't do much to stick up for Palestinian lives and pushback on the aggression and terrible policies of the Israeli government. And surprise, that doesn't lead to much incentive for Israel to change after we just give them more and more money is military contracts and relentlessly defend them in the UN.

Because we only focus in winning, as soon as we do win, we immediately switch gears to trying to make sure we win next time. From the day people are sworn in, they're only worried about the next election.

And that's exactly the broken system that she's talking about. Focus on winning no matter what, and then once you do win, do nothing because there will always be another election coming up you can use the same logic for. And the inaction against the tragedies going in everyday in Palestine are among the clearest cut examples.

That being the case, unless people are indeed fine or just flat-out don't care about that kind of broken status-quo, maybe a change is in order and we should do something about that to avoid falling into the same mental trappings all over again? The approach is broken and needs to change, and there will never be a "convenient" time to do do, so we might as well do it now, unless we don't really want to see that happen and do indeed want to continue on the same course.
No, because we can apply pressure economically and should be doing so in order to push them to change their policies. We do have a unique relationship with the country and we should be using that to help alter their behavior. Are you seriously arguing that the US should do this?
Yeah, nah, can't let you off the hook for this one, Kirblar. You were the one makin' the argument that killing civilians in the Korean war, while terrible, was nonetheless justified because of what those terrible North Koreans were up to, which apparently must be stopped at all costs, even if that involved the loss of such civilian lives. Follow that logic through and don't get cold feet now, as that was your logic, and no one else's. Either there are things that justify the loss of civilian lives for the "greater good" or there are no such things. And if you want to apply that logic to the circumstances such as the civilian deaths in the Korean War, certainly it could just as easily be applied to the Israel-Palestine conflict. Especially with non-stop war crimes by Israel in the West Bank/Gaza Strip, attacking civilians/children/reporters/doctors, illegal settlements, treating Palestine as an apartheid state where at the same time it's not actually Israeli land as such and so they don't have to give Palestinians the same rights as other Israelis since it's not technically Israel, but yet at the same time it apparently totally is Israel and thus they can build as many settlements there as they want, control Palestinians access to water and the sea and their airspace, etc, and just not giving a fuck about any of it and just continuing to do it day after day no matter how many reports the UN releases on it, because they know none of that's what matter and they can keep getting away with because nobody truly wants to even get involved in that conflict at this point and tell them "No."

Those seem like pretty evil intentions to me! The exact same type of "evil intentions" you were using to justify the tragic, yet apparently necessary death of civilians in Korea to achieve a larger objective because of how even more horrible sitting back and doing nothing in that conflict would be and how that would be even worse for everyone involved especially "knowing what we know about [about the DPRK]." If that's the case, surely that logic could just as easily be applied to protect the interests of Palestine, especially knowing how many Palestinians and civilians Israel kills so often. The same case could easily, easily be made to justify a flat-out war against Israel if need be, because to do nothing, to just resign ourselves to the deaths of all those Palestinians and civilians would be so much worse, especially knowing what we know today about Israel's illegal settlements and the policies of the Israeli governments and years after years of UN reports and mountains of evidence regarding the government of Israel's war crimes.

So pick one. Either that goes for both, that the terrible intentions and loss of civilian lives regardless and degradation of quality of life can be used to justify those actions in both circumstances, or their justified in neither and are never the right course of action, even if that does indeed lead to a lower quality of life for everyone down the life regardless. You don't get to be wishy-washy about this. Either civilian loss of life can be tragically justified to serve some greater objective, to avoid even greater losses down the line, which can easily be applied to both situations, or that applies to neither. You certainly don't get to have it both ways though, where that was somehow an unavoidable evil in Korea and something that had to be done, while somehow not being just as much justification for a hypothetical conflict against Israel to protect Palestinian lives and interests, using the exact same logic.

Pick one, and be consistent about it, but certainly don't jump around with "these civilians were tragically justified deaths, but not these other ones." Either they can potentially be justified in any situation, or they can't ever be justified, no matter what the excuse or cover story or attempted justification.

As remember Kirblar, you were the one, YOU WERE THE ONE who brought up arguments like "would you rather the entire Korean peninsula be ruled by Kim Jong Un today" to justify the events that happened and started this particular conversation--those are your words, that you uttered to justify this train of thought, not me or anyone else, but you. Turning that around, I could just as easily ask, "would you rather the entirety of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank continue to be apartheid states ruled inhumanely by tyrants like Benjamin Netanyahu/would you rather Palestine just be entirely absorbed by the Israeli state via decades of illegal settlements until there's nothing left"/etc. If that "would you rather the Korean Peninsula be unified under Pyongyang works to justify the tragic events that happened there, you can't suddenly back out and suddenly claim the same exact logic can't or shouldn't be used to justify a hypothetical conflict against Israel on the same exact type of grounds. You don't get to have it both ways like that. Either that goes for both, or neither. Either those kind of actions can be justified in those type of ways, or they can't, no matter what. Anything else is just pure hypocrisy at best and an absolutely brazen display of considering certain lives more equal and more worthy of defending in a way that certain other lives aren't and never will be and aren't ever going to be worth the same considerations and luxuries as those other lives at worst.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And that's exactly the broken system that she's talking about. Focus on winning no matter what, and then once you do win, do nothing because there will always be another election coming up you can use the same logic for. And the inaction against the tragedies going in everyday in Palestine are among the clearest cut examples.
I don't really like how AOC handled this whole thing, I expected her to be a stauncher defender of Omar, but this goes back to what she was saying a month ago.
o-CALL-TIME2-570.jpg

The state of US legislative politics is: "Win, then spend half your career making sure you win reelection by calling donors and looking for cash. If you have time to spare in between campaigning and donor-calling, you might get something done."

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's what Obama did. He personally approved strikes on innocent civilians and actually went out of his way to specficially target them. This is exactly what I mean by "childish" assessments.
killing civilians is cool so long as you don't "target" them, but you keep doing the exact same types of operations that keep killing innocent people accidentally

these people's lives are determined by people like Obama to be "acceptable losses", even if they'd "prefer" they didn't die. and it's only by virtue of our places of birth that they aren't OUR loved ones getting blown to smithereens by american munitions.

please spare everyone your condescension that feeling this way about illegal american air strikes is the immature, childish assessment of the situation

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Guarantee every single fucking piece of dogshit in this thread defending war crimes and genocide and bombing civilians has never lost a loved one in war, has never had their family members be crippled for life because they have a birth defect from Agent Orange, has never had their family members raped and killed by US troops. I mean you're lucky for not having such a horrible thing happen to you since you're sitting nice and easy in the west but I'm not as lucky in that regard so fuck you, you pieces of shit.

By the way, report me for breaking the decorum or whatever while in the same breath you advocate for the killings of hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yes, that's what Obama did. He personally approved strikes on innocent civilians and actually went out of his way to specficially target them. This is exactly what I mean by "childish" assessments.
Wow dude he didn't mean to kill the civilians then? Oh that's alright then if it was just an accident no worries, for the families torn apart, for the children without fathers (who are 100% going to become radicalised from an experience like the US bombing your fucking innocent father) or the general mood of the population against America, man you're a real piece of work, if this is a childish view, tell me what's the adult view then?
Tell me why it's acceptable and please remember you're talking to an actual child of refugees here, someone who was actually affected by the US and their many war crimes, unlike you, sitting nice and comfy in your armchair generals seat.

Last edited:

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The UN decided that. And maybe it's time to update your world vision from black and white to a wider range.
You've never lost a loved one in war have you? I can tell by how nonchalantly you can brush off the deaths of millions of people, trust me when I say it will make you forever hate the ones doing the bombing, North Korea is a horrible authoritarian dictatorship but they're right in that the US butchered their country.
My own country was raped by the United States and yet I'm expected to trust the chucklefucks in this thread who are talking about acceptable amounts of mass murder of civilians?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you rather North Korea have won leading to all of South Korea being ruled by the Kims today? Because that was the trade-off they were measuring it against when North Korea was invading with massive amounts of Chinese support backing them. I'm not saying their decisions were perfect, not worthy of criticism, etc., but to take them out of the context of an ugly, brutal conflict in which eventually pushing the North Korean army out of South Korea eventually led to a world in which 50 million people weren't living under a cruel despot today is to miss the difficulties and ugly nature of the tradeoffs that have to be faced when making these decisions.
For most of South Korea's existence it had been ruled by it's own dictatorship (which was worse than Kim Il-Sung's regime) and is still one of the most unequal nations on earth. This is not a validation or a dismissal of the violence and repression of the Kim family and it's regime. But the US had direct control and a direct hand in the South Korean government while it was using it's own draconian suppression and detention and execution of dissenters and those that went against the stranglehold the dictatorial leaders on the country had. Which is the point, we cannot say whether or not the peninsula under a North Korean flag would bea positive or not because we don't know, we're left to sift through ideology and belief based on contextual factors that could have come into play.

What we do know is that the US, UN, and NATO direct contravention massacred civilians and laid utter waste to the North Korean people, in service to a dictator that we could bear the taste of at the time. This is fact. And I do not think we should dismiss it simply because of what we have of the Kim family and the awful atrocities they commit in North Korea today.

Indeed. Like, the clearest example if this is part of what started this while commotion over representative Omar to begin with, the Israel-Palestine conflict and if we're handling it properly or if we should be changing up the approach and doing more to help.

Currently each time Democrats obtain power they don't do much to stick up for Palestinian lives and pushback on the aggression and terrible policies of the Israeli government. And surprise, that doesn't lead to much incentive for Israel to change after we just give them more and more money is military contracts and relentlessly defend them in the UN.

Because we only focus in winning, as soon as we do win, we immediately switch gears to trying to make sure we win next time. From the day people are sworn in, they're only worried about the next election.

That being the case, unless people are indeed fine or just flat-out don't care about that kind of broken status-quo, maybe a change is in order and we should do something about that to avoid falling into the same mental trappings all over again? The approach is broken and needs to change, and there will never be a "convenient" time to do do, so we might as well do it now, unless we don't really want to see that happen and do indeed want to continue on the same course.

Yeah, nah, can't let you off the hook for this one, Kirblar. You were the one makin' the argument that killing civilians in the Korean war, while terrible, was nonetheless justified because of what those terrible North Koreans were up to, which apparently must be stopped at all costs, even if that involved the loss of such civilian lives. Follow that logic through and don't get cold feet now, as that was your logic, and no one else's. Either there are things that justify the loss of civilian lives for the "greater good" or there are no such things. And if you want to apply that logic to the circumstances such as the civilian deaths in the Korean War, certainly it could just as easily be applied to the Israel-Palestine conflict. Especially with non-stop war crimes by Israel in the West Bank/Gaza Strip, attacking civilians/children/reporters/doctors, illegal settlements, treating Palestine as an apartheid state where at the same time it's not actually Israeli land as such and so they don't have to give Palestinians the same rights as other Israelis since it's not technically Israel, but yet at the same time it apparently totally is Israel and thus they can build as many settlements there as they want, control Palestinians access to water and the sea and their airspace, etc, and just not giving a fuck about any of it and just continuing to do it day after day no matter how many reports the UN releases on it, because they know none of that's what matter and they can keep getting away with because nobody truly wants to even get involved in that conflict at this point and tell them "No."

Those seem like pretty evil intentions to me! The exact same type of "evil intentions" you were using to justify the tragic, yet apparently necessary death of civilians in Korea to achieve a larger objective because of how even more horrible sitting back and doing nothing in that conflict would be and how that would be even worse for everyone involved especially "knowing what we know about [about the DPRK]." If that's the case, surely that logic could just as easily be applied to protect the interests of Palestine, especially knowing how many Palestinians and civilians Israel kills so often. The same case could easily, easily be made to justify a flat-out war against Israel if need be, because to do nothing, to just resign ourselves to the deaths of all those Palestinians and civilians would be so much worse, especially knowing what we know today about Israel's illegal settlements and the policies of the Israeli governments and years after years of UN reports and mountains of evidence regarding the government of Israel's war crimes.

So pick one. Either that goes for both, that the terrible intentions and loss of civilian lives regardless and degradation of quality of life can be used to justify those actions in both circumstances, or their justified in neither and are never the right course of action, even if that does indeed lead to a lower quality of life for everyone down the life regardless. You don't get to be wishy-washy about this. Either civilian loss of life can be tragically justified to serve some greater objective, to avoid even greater losses down the line, which can easily be applied to both situations, or that applies to neither. You certainly don't get to have it both ways though, where that was somehow an unavoidable evil in Korea and something that had to be done, while somehow not being just as much justification for a hypothetical conflict against Israel to protect Palestinian lives and interests, using the exact same logic.

Pick one, and be consistent about it, but certainly don't jump around with "these civilians were tragically justified deaths, but not these other ones." Either they can potentially be justified in any situation, or they can't ever be justified, no matter what the excuse or cover story or attempted justification.

As remember Kirblar, you were the one, YOU WERE THE ONE who brought up arguments like "would you rather the entire Korean peninsula be ruled by Kim Jong Un today" to justify the events that happened and started this particular conversation--those are your words, that you uttered to justify this train of thought, not me or anyone else, but you. Turning that around, I could just as easily ask, "would you rather the entirety of the Gaza Strip and the West Bank continue to be apartheid states ruled inhumanely by tyrants like Benjamin Netanyahu/would you rather Palestine just be entirely absorbed by the Israeli state via decades of illegal settlements until there's nothing left"/etc. If that "would you rather the Korean Peninsula be unified under Pyongyang works to justify the tragic events that happened there, you can't suddenly back out and suddenly claim the same exact logic can't or shouldn't be used to justify a hypothetical conflict against Israel on the same exact type of grounds. You don't get to have it both ways like that. Either that goes for both, or neither. Either those kind of actions can be justified in those type of ways, or they can't, no matter what. Anything else is just pure hypocrisy at best and an absolutely brazen display of considering certain lives more equal and more worthy of defending in a way that certain other lives aren't and never will be and aren't ever going to be worth the same considerations and luxuries as those other lives at worst.
giphy.gif

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 Weeks): Relativizing and justifying war crimes and the murder of civilians.
The Korean war was 70 years ago under extraordinarily different circumstances. Times are different, our available options are different, the geographic locations and relationships are different. Hell, if you haven't noticed, we have a massive in the number people dying as a result of war in the past few decades. Economic and Technological forces have made that possible what wasn't previously, ushering in the least amount of conflict the world has seen.

You do get to have it both ways because the world isn't the 1950s and the two situations are completely radically different. If you can't understand that the options available in the 1950s to the US, South Korean and other UN forces facing a massive incursion of North Korean aligned forces are completely different than the options we have to dealing with an apartheid state in the year 2019, the level of banal reductionism you're descending to amounts to the point of parody, because I refuse to believe that one could just be willing to say something along the lines of "oh well nukes ended the war in Japan why don't we just use them every time" and be totally serious.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yes, I am aware of how destructive it was and am still posting that despite it. If North Korea/China never invade, this never happens, but they did, and the question of how to dissuade the North Korean forces when they were being backed by a massive amount of Chinese forces far in excess of their own had no good answers. Turning all of Korea into a totalitarian Chinese vassal state would have been a horrific outcome for the South Koreans. That cruel despot would still be there today because he's not there because of any actions the US took but because the North Korean government exists almost solely at the pleasure of the Chinese government. If they wanted to pressure North Korea to reform, to aid in their development, to help push for reconciliation, they could. But they don't, because they want the buffer state there.

That war is hell is an understatement. It's ugly, horrific, shitty and destructive. And this one was no different- both sides were deliberately targeting and executing the other's supporters within their borders and in captured territory. It comes with unthinkable tradeoffs, horrible choices, and puts people in unenviable situations. And yet it happens because sometimes the cost of letting the other side win is simply too steep to be able to afford.
This is one of the most disgusting posts I've seen on this forum and it's not even close, the straight up advocations made for genocide in this post border on the propaganda from the US I remember reading when I was researching the Vietnam war. To even feel this way is just unacceptable and you should feel ashamed for doing so.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The Korean war was 70 years ago under extraordinarily different circumstances. Times are different, our available options are different, the geographic locations and relationships are different. Hell, if you haven't noticed, we have a massive in the number people dying as a result of war in the past few decades. Economic and Technological forces have made that possible what wasn't previously, ushering in the least amount of conflict the world has seen.

You do get to have it both ways because the world isn't the 1950s and the two situations are completely radically different. If you can't understand that the options available in the 1950s to the US, South Korean and other UN forces facing a massive incursion of North Korean aligned forces are completely different than the options we have to dealing with an apartheid state in the year 2019, the level of banal reductionism you're descending to amounts to the point of parody, because I refuse to believe that one could just be willing to say something along the lines of "oh well nukes ended the war in Japan why don't we just use them every time" and be totally serious.
You're completely ignoring the human cost of murdering 20% of an entire countries population, that's why I'm fucking getting pissed here, stop talking about Realpolitik or whatever bullshit you're on and realise how many fucking innocent human lives were needlessly taken by the United States in every single one of their wars, to sit back in your comfort in the west and try and justify it with some bullshit politics invokes the highest level of disgust in me.

I know for a fact you have never suffered the death of a loved one in war or had to sit on a leaky boat for three months with one month's worth of food as a refugee, you completely ignore these many stories that have been caused by the US. You can't even begin to imagine the amount of suffering caused by your country and military.

Last edited:

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
I don't disagree. I'm just often frustrated with the foreign policy discussion that takes place on this forum. Individuals are either woefully ignorant or are incapable of understanding nuance or context. You cannot engage in a discussion about drone strikes without also engaging in a discussion about how to deal with national security threats. And, doing nothing, isn't exactly a solution. I mean, it's an option. But, then you best be prepared to explain why doing absolutely nothing is not a terrible idea.

I'm sure those children and families halfway across the world in some village in Pakistan were "national security threats". And I'm sure that we need a lot of nuance to fully understand why we need to occupy and murder people who aren't Americans just because they happen to live where we have our foreign interests in accruing profits . Imagine calling people critical of our foreign policy and the many innocent lives it has taken "childish". Just imagine infantilizing us on an issue where thousands of innocent people are killed for no reason whatsoever. Because apparently we need to have a serious discussion like adults about these "national security threats". You sound straight out of Fox News. And this war crime bullshit is coming from some guy with a Star Wars avatar. It's mind-boggling.

How different was the world then that you would go out of your way to justify carpetbombing an entire country and genocide 20 percent of the population? How can you even begin to start morally justifying it regardless of its time period? We. Are. Talking. About. 3. Million. Fucking. People. They've lost their lives. And you're sitting here with your Kirby avatar trying to rationalize that with some bullshit "knowing what we know now" as if North Korea would've been the same if the US hadn't completely obliterated every single building in the country within 3 years and TWENTY PERCENT OF THE POPULATION.

It's despicable and fucking gross to read.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I don't disagree. I'm just often frustrated with the foreign policy discussion that takes place on this forum. Individuals are either woefully ignorant or are incapable of understanding nuance or context. You cannot engage in a discussion about drone strikes without also engaging in a discussion about how to deal with national security threats. And, doing nothing, isn't exactly a solution. I mean, it's an option. But, then you best be prepared to explain why doing absolutely nothing is not a terrible idea.
Imagine saying this to a war refugee who's village was bombed the US, that they're woefully ignorant or lack nuance about their families being killed for literally no reason.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

+1,000,000,000,000

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread went not the way I expected. I thought Obama was pretty much loved by y'all.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's morally bankrupt to think there is nuance to the deaths of civilians. Since you want to appear as if you're the Adult in the Room, the deaths of civilians is how we get more terrorists. We keep giving them pain, over and over again. We kill their families, we destabilize their countries, and then wonder why they want to attack us. It's bullshit. Samoyed already posted about signature strikes. Two guys could be doing jumping jacks and they can get blown up because the US believes that they are training to be terrorists. This is a horrible practice and that you want to introduce nuance to this is fucked up.

US imperialism created the problems we face today. We can't bomb our way out of this shit.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
For most of South Korea's existence it had been ruled by it's own dictatorship (which was worse than Kim Il-Sung's regime) and is still one of the most unequal nations on earth. This is not a validation or a dismissal of the violence and repression of the Kim family and it's regime. But the US had direct control and a direct hand in the South Korean government while it was using it's own draconian suppression and detention and execution of dissenters and those that went against the stranglehold the dictatorial leaders on the country had.

Fair enough.

Which is the point, we cannot say whether or not the peninsula under a North Korean flag would bea positive or not because we don't know, we're left to sift through ideology and belief based on contextual factors that could have come into play.

But we're not operating in a world without facts that leave no indication to how that would have gone, and it's not simply ideology or belief. We know a fair bit about how Kim II-sung would have ruled, for instance. He was a big players in the country (backed by China) to rule Korea. He is not a man to be written off as merely a shrug in the equation or his affect on history unless he was somehow taken off the board. And that in itself may not have changed much given that China may have just selected another dictator to be their puppet and we're back to square one again.

What we do know is that the US, UN, and NATO direct contravention massacred civilians and laid utter waste to the North Korean people, in service to a dictator that we could bear the taste of at the time. This is fact. And I do not think we should dismiss it simply because of what we have of the Kim family and the awful atrocities they commit in North Korea today.

To be fair, in this time line also showed that North Korea under Kim ll-sung, who became NK's first Supreme Leader and whose impact on the country's government and its dynasty is still felt to this day, backed by China. That this is the world we live in is not concrete proof that the US staying out would have worked out for Korea.

Yes, America's action on Korea were horrific, I'm not disagreeing with that. However, this is not a matter where it could have definitely worked out for Korea's benefit. They'd just be in a world where China was the regional interest backing Korea rather than America.

What do you think America should have done? Including nothing, of course.

It's morally bankrupt to think there is nuance to the deaths of civilians. Since you want to appear as if you're the Adult in the Room, the deaths of civilians is how we get more terrorists. We keep giving them pain, over and over again. We kill their families, we destabilize their countries, and then wonder why they want to attack us. It's bullshit. Samoyed already posted about signature strikes. Two guys could be doing jumping jacks and they can get blown up because the US believes that they are training to be terrorists. This is a horrible practice and that you want to introduce nuance to this is fucked up.

I agree that that tactic has blown up in America's faces for numerous reason you're describing here.

US imperialism created the problems we face today. We can't bomb our way out of this shit.

No, it can't, but what you're not telling us is what should America do.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not convinced the hypothetical Communist Korea would be today's DPRK, but spanning across the entire peninsula. We know Soviet style "communist" states are not stable and eventually collapses into some form of capitalism, state capitalism in the case of China and kleptocratic capitalism in the case of Russia. Who's to say the same wouldn't be true of Communist Korea? If present day DPRK does exist as a "buffer state", removing the US's presence from that sphere would remove the need for such a "buffer".

It's pretty horrific to use the actions and policies of the modern day Kim regime to retroactively justify our actions in the Korean War, when you can't simply assume that a South Korea that fell to the North would produce DPRK x2. It could've collapsed of its own accord. It could've been annexed by China and be part of their economic redevelopment now. It could've acquired the Dengian reforms from their patron state through osmosis. It could've been annexed by of Russia, which, while not a great place, is still better than being under the Kim regime.

What we do know is that even with our best intentions, we still have left half a large geographic region under a totalitarian regime. The regime which sustains itself by keeping alive the 1950s in their consciousness, and which derives part of their legitimacy from our continued military presence and activities in that region. At the same time, our frequent antagonizing of China incentivizes China to maintain a militarized DPRK. You give them no reason to trust you and no incentive for change, and then when they respond to this kind of country-wide existential fear with totalitarian impulses, you say "well this is why the Korean War was justified".

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're completely ignoring the human cost of murdering 20% of an entire countries population, that's why I'm fucking getting pissed here, stop talking about Realpolitik or whatever bullshit you're on and realise how many fucking innocent human lives were needlessly taken by the United States in every single one of their wars, to sit back and try and justify it with some bullshit politics invokes the highest level of disgust in me.
And you're ignoring the human cost of generations upon generations upon generations growing up in a vassal state run by the Kim family. How many future lives would be growing up in a hellhole run by those people? That's the part of this I don't understand. How are those future generations worth any less. How does that not count to people?

North Korea (w/ a massive assist from China) invaded South Korea. The South Koreans didn't start the war, almost lost it, and then once they pushed the North Koreans back out, were desperate for a way to get North Korea to back down. Something incredibly difficult when the people fundamentally in charge are really Russia and China, and not the actual North Koreans, the ones who have actual skin in the game, This is not "realpolitik", this is a horrific set of circumstances that the US and South Korea did not set into motion, and where they had very limited options if they were to try and end it rather than have an active conflict drag on for decades. And none of those options were good.

Vietnam is a horror show that's indefensible pretty much from start to finish. Korea is not Vietnam. I see it in the same light as the US Civil War, WWI/II, the Gulf War, etc.
IAt the same time, our frequent antagonizing of China incentivizes China to maintain a militarized DPRK.
No. The US is not "antagonizing" China. and making them maintain a despotic vassal state because they just can't help themselves because of the poor mean US making them do it because the US won't call Taiwan Chinese Taipei.

Last edited:

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure those children and families halfway across the world in some village in Pakistan were "national security threats". And I'm sure that we need a lot of nuance to fully understand why we need to occupy and murder people who aren't Americans just because they happen to live where we have our foreign interests in accruing profits . Imagine calling people critical of our foreign policy and the many innocent lives it has taken "childish". Just imagine infantilizing us on an issue where thousands of innocent people are killed for no reason whatsoever. Because apparently we need to have a serious discussion like adults about these "national security threats". You sound straight out of Fox News. And this war crime bullshit is coming from some guy with a Star Wars avatar. It's mind-boggling.

How different was the world then that you would go out of your way to justify carpetbombing an entire country and genocide 20 percent of the population? How can you even begin to start morally justifying it regardless of its time period? We. Are. Talking. About. 3. Million. Fucking. People. They've lost their lives. And you're sitting here with your Kirby avatar trying to rationalize that with some bullshit "knowing what we know now" as if North Korea would've been the same if the US hadn't completely obliterated every single building in the country within 3 years and TWENTY PERCENT OF THE POPULATION.

It's despicable and fucking gross to read.

i am unsure how some people navigate their day to day lives and have any healthy personal relationships, without a consequencialist bone in their bodies

"no it's okay that i hurt you, i didn't mean it. wait why are you still mad, just because my behaviour keeps hurting you and i don't change it?"

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
This thread went not the way I expected. I thought Obama was pretty much loved by y'all.
Loved because standards have sank quite low. I guess we got used to a shitty world ran by injustice. Someone speaking up to it is rare. People are hoping for a martin luther king moment of a much larger scale. I know I am

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And you're ignoring the human cost of generations upon generations upon generations growing up in a vassal state run by the Kim family. How many future lives would be growing up in a hellhole run by those people? That's the part of this I don't understand. How are those future generations worth any less. How does that not count to people?

keep diggin that hole

american interests are imperial not humanitarian in nature, that takes the shine off of their intent. liberals project care for human life and "democracy" onto the atrocities committed because it is the narrative that is sold by the criminals in power to justify them. when the actions themselves involve mass murder, the concequences are also indefensible. what does that leave you with? "buhhh people living in a vassal state..." no one in power weighed the cost of those future generations against the blood spilled, they never do, they just act in america's interests and leave the desperate rationalizations for everyone else to make.

this dr manhattan mindset shit makes me nauseous, it's paternalism at its worst, and the inverse is not childish

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Loving" someone shouldn't mean ignoring civilian deaths under that person's administrative watch.

And if we're so bothered with "unborn future generations", surely you support military intervention against the US for the sake of, say, liberating the border camps.

Or even a citizen militia raid!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
keep diggin that hole

american interests are imperial not humanitarian in nature, that takes the shine off of their intent. liberals project care for human life and "democracy" onto the atrocities committed because it is the narrative that is sold by the criminals in power to justify them. when the actions themselves involve mass murder, the concequences are also indefensible. what does that leave you with? "buhhh people living in a vassal state..." no one in power weighed the cost of those future generations against the blood spilled, they never do, they just act in america's interests and leave the desperate rationalizations for everyone else to make.
The thing that led directly to the Korean war was Russian and Chinese imperialism! The idea that everything in the world is solely the fault of the United States and that everything would have fine if they just let the communists win the wars they started is absolute nonsense.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'm not convinced the hypothetical Communist Korea would be today's DPRK, but spanning across the entire peninsula. We know Soviet style "communist" states are not stable and eventually collapses into some form of capitalism, state capitalism in the case of China and kleptocratic capitalism in the case of Russia. Who's to say the same wouldn't be true of Communist Korea? If present day DPRK does exist as a "buffer state", removing the US's presence from that sphere would remove the need for such a "buffer".

I agree Korea likely wouldn't have become what we see today, hopefully, but it probably would have been bad. It would still be a dictatorship for generations and might have continued that to today. Not every country is fortunate to break out of the shackles of dictatorship, and many need outside help to do it or they get slaughtered.

The present collapsed communist states these days isn't encouraging, a lot are horrible places to live and are dictatorships in all but name or being annexed by Russia.

It's pretty horrific to use the actions and policies of the modern day Kim regime to retroactively justify our actions in the Korean War, when you can't simply assume that a South Korea that fell to the North would produce DPRK x2. It could've collapsed of its own accord. It could've been annexed by China and be part of their economic redevelopment now. It could've acquired the Dengian reforms from their patron state through osmosis. It could've been annexed by of Russia, which, while not a great place, is still better than being under the Kim regime.

Except those are the conditions of modern NK, you can't ignore those consequences by taking the US out of the region when it was vital in shaping the politics there. Modern day NK isn't there to justify anything, it's there to show you what a Korea might look like outside US influence, which nobody can deny. You can't ignore that it might a consequence of the US leaving, either. Korae doesn't automatically become a good place when we see where Kim II-sung leads, and he or someone like him would have been running the country as China's puppet. Or it might not, NK has survived who knows why and that state should have collapsed generations ago.

I don't see Russia doing that, they prefer Europe.

What we do know is that even with our best intentions, we still have left half a large geographic region under a totalitarian regime. The regime which sustains itself by keeping alive the 1950s in their consciousness, and which derives part of their legitimacy from our continued military presence and activities in that region.

You're blaming America for NK becoming isolated? The military is not for show, however, it's a crisis which has existed for generations which NK has held Seoul as a hostage. The US, and other nations, have tried the carrot and stick with NK for as long as I can remember and NK aren't victims here, then there's China's influence from a political perspective, as well. This is complex, political reality which is not easily solved. If NK were that open to entering the global markets and de-escalating they would have done that decades ago. But they didn't.

At the same time, our frequent antagonizing of China incentivizes China to maintain a militarized DPRK. You give them no reason to trust you and no incentive for change, and then when they respond to this kind of country-wide existential fear with totalitarian impulses, you say "well this is why the Korean War was justified".

The antagonising goes both ways. NK hasn't been doing nothing for generations, they've been threatening other countries, kidnapping people, assassinations on foreign soil and more for a long long time.

moondoggerr

Oct 28, 2017
Obama is the best President of my lifetime. He got elected in the midst of a massive crisis, saved the economy, saved the auto industry, passed health reform, was an excellent partner to our allies, normalized relations with Cuba, killed Bin Laden, and was an all around excellent role model. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

Just a perfect mentality on display here. "Doing nothing, isn't exactly a solution", fucking christ. No wonder America finds itself in so many military quagmires when this is the thinking on display. You can pretty much justify anything with that.

Hey here's a novel idea, ever wonder what the national security threat to America will be after it's spent the past decade raining death down on a region of hundreds of millions of people?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Loved because standards have sank quite low. I guess we got used to a shitty world ran by injustice. Someone speaking up to it is rare. People are hoping for a martin luther king moment of a much larger scale. I know I am

Martin Luthor King didn't have a single moment, he played the long game and knew when and how to press to get the results he wanted. With backup with Malcolm X as the "bad cop."

Injustice isn't solved just by speaking up, that's a tool like anything else for other actions - it's sufficient support and backing to affect the broader political picture. He didn't simply impact culture, he impacted politics itself.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Injustice isn't solved just by speaking up, that's a tool like anything else for other actions - it's sufficient support and backing to affect the broader political picture. He didn't simply impact culture, he impacted politics itself.
BY SPEAKING UP

HOW ARE YOU SO DENSE ON THIS POINT

HE HAD TO SPEAK UP FIRST BEFORE HE "IMPACTED POLITICS"

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Loving" someone shouldn't mean ignoring civilian deaths under that person's administrative watch.

And if we're so bothered with "unborn future generations", surely you support military intervention against the US for the sake of, say, liberating the border camps.

Or even a citizen militia raid!
The point of politics is to solve these things through means other than physical violence. It is literally a substitute for war. War should always be the last resort.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which I'm not denying, but you're missing what he did next.

I'm not dense, I'm trying to think more than one step ahead. Which is what he did, he wasn't winging it.
And you believe that, had you been living in America at the time, in 1955, looking at the Montgomery Bus Boycott, you'd be able to pinpoint MLK and go "yeah that's him, he's thinking more than one step ahead, he's going to go far". You would've been on his side from the start right? Since you know so much about "how stuff is done".

Enlighten me what he "did next" after the Montgomery Bus Boycott which Wikipedia marks as the start of his civil rights activism, and why and how Omar is living/failing to live up to this standard of "thinking more than one step ahead".

---------------

Anyway, the idea that "any action is better than inaction, even if action results in a worse outcome" is a large part of the hubris driving American interventionism.

And when we fuck up it's "oh our intelligence was imperfect, oh the conditions changed, oh we made a mistake, we're sorry", while hundreds of thousands of foreign people die.

Do we pay reparations for this? Do we jail politicians for this? Do we hold ourselves accountable for this? Do we change our foreign policy paradigm for this?

NO.

We look for the next crisis we can meddle in.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
And you believe that, had you been living in America at the time, in 1955, looking at the Montgomery Bus Boycott, you'd be able to pinpoint MLK and go "yeah that's him, he's thinking more than one step ahead, he's going to go far". You would've been on his side from the start right? Since you know so much about "how stuff is done".

Honestly, I don't know. But I do know MLK from his speeches and writings, and he never came across to me like he was a man who didn't plan things. He was a professional organiser, and minister who accomplished great things in a miserable world, who was a pioneer who was able to create tactics which moved mountains - I can't think of anyone with those skills who wouldn't be planning ahead.

This isn't 1955, either. We have access to an abundance of knowledge about him, the events he was involved with, the people he worked with and activism itself has been tremendously impacted from his work and evolved into the present where strategies have been experimented with and improved that they simply didn't have back then.

Why is it difficult to believe he thought ahead with his actions?

Enlighten me what he "did next" after the Montgomery Bus Boycott which Wikipedia marks as the start of his civil rights, and why and how Omar is living/failing to live up to this standard of "thinking more than one step ahead".

Here's a record of his accomplishments through his life as a civil rights leader he kept on moving gaining more and more steam until he eventually was vital in moving bills on civil rights in congress. It was a marathon, not a sprint.

http://thekingcenter.org/about-dr-king/

Has Omar given any speeches or writings about her strategies about her game plan for this? A reason why this was bought up is because I've had this conversation before regarding Omar's tactics and generally gotten either silence or just a vague idea to piss off the leadership until something breaks.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The point of politics is to solve these things through means other than physical violence. It is literally a substitute for war. War should always be the last resort.
You are so far removed from the realities of these horrific wars you're advocating for that anything you write on the topic is immensely pointless, I can't believe you're actually trying to talk down to me on this matter when I am a victim of US war crimes and actually have suffered at the hands of empire. War should not be a fucking response in any measure, it is a disgusting and abhorrent act that only brings endless suffering to everyone involved, to advocate for war at all is to advocate for mass rape, mass murder and the slaughter of innocent men, women and children.
Then again, you're the guy who compared the restructuring of a videogame forum to the Iraq war so it's to be expected that you don't really know the brutal reality of living in a war zone.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019

"The point of politics is to solve these things through means other than physical violence" he says, immediately after just justifying the slaughter of 3 million Koreans.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I still love him. Personally his example as a husband and father really helped shape my approach to marriage and fatherhood. He also did a lot of very good things but some very bad things policy wise. I don't think it's right to throw him in the trash nor is it right to deify him. He is just a president.

Status
Not open for further replies.