Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Rep. Omar: Trump's stimulus did more for Americans than Democrats' slimmed-down package
CNN via Skype
www.cnn.com

March 5, 2021 Covid-19 stimulus bill updates

Senate Democrats are racing to pass their version of President Biden's Covid-19 relief package. Follow here for the latest from Capitol Hill.
WB8HBli.jpg

Rep. Ilhan Omar today said changes made in the Senate to the $1.9 trillion stimulus package passed out of the House now means it will deliver less for Americans than the previous package designed by Republicans and signed by former President Donald Trump.

"We obviously are now ultimately sending money to less people than the Trump administration."
When pressed by CNN's Brianna Keilar on whether she was saying that "Trump wanted to deliver more in the way of checks for Americans than Biden?" Omar responded affirmatively.

"Yeah," she replied. "So the last checks that we were able to send had given … 17 million more people than we will ultimately do with the caps now. And that, you know, is going to be something that we're going to have to explain, and I don't know if many of us have a logical explanation on why we are delivering less."

Crazy this is what it's come to with this bill

Edit: Since some members have said this is not what she said I took the headline from CNN
qRGxCDB.png

lXjbbwr.png

Mods feel free to please add "CNN:" at the beginning of the thread title

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
dems are there own worst enemy.
as shit as republicans are they are unified in there shittyness

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Would we be voting on another stimulus if Trump and Repubs were still in power?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
She ain't wrong.

Thank the moderates for fucking us now by not giving us enough relief, and fucking us again by handing a huge win to the Republicans come 2022.

Pieces of shits all of them. I hope they get primaried.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
I mean she has a point. It's sad when the party of "fiscal responsibility" will give more money to the America people than Dems. The GOP are going to remind everyone of this when the midterms start heating up.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
And when Dems lose in 22 they will point to the progressives.

"It's their fault!"

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Why is she giving credit to Republicans for the CARES act? It was a giant win for Democrats, we passed a bill in the House, slammed it through the Senate through overwhelming pressure, and Trump signed it.

Like, Republicans whined about PUA benefits non-stop last year. It wasn't their bill. A big reason why later rounds of relief and such were such as mess was specifically because the Senate GOP felt they got steamrolled with the CARES Act.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This is a dumb-as-hell take and she should be ashamed for making it.

She's leaning on the checks. The checks are just a shiny object. The meaning is in the child tax credits, the UI extension, if the Carper amendment passes (and that friggin' Portman amendment doesn't), $10,000 in tax forgiveness for that UI income (!)

There is a *lot* more in this bill.

I get being frustrated with the process but she's not helping by saying it this way.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get why they didn't just put $2000 checks out the door as promised when even worthless senators like Rubio were saying for Biden to do that. You could always work on a comprehensive stimulus after that as they're doing now.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She's leaning on the checks. The checks are just a shiny object. The meaning is in the child tax credits, the UI extension, if the Carper amendment passes (and that friggin' Portman amendment doesn't), $10,000 in tax forgiveness for that UI income (!)

I get being frustrated with the process but she's not helping by saying it this way.
People like shiny objects.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
It's true but she shouldn't say it.
nah fuck all that.

This dude and the rest of Democrats ran on being better for everyone and they cant even stay on message for shit people voted them in for.

Omar ain't wrong and there is nothing wrong with what she said. They really let Trump push out more money (and honestly could've gave out more if he wasn't a lame duck) in a GOP controlled Senate and WH. How could you tell people who don't follow politics as closely what Dems are doing when they can't even do simple shit?

Mr.Arrow

Dec 6, 2018
Imagine a fuckwit like Trump give more stimulus check than your average Democrat joe

Lol

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This is not accurate. She didn't even really say this in what is posted in the OP. As a whole the bill is far more than Trump did in his entire admin.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Omar is smart. I'm sure she understands exactly what you've pointed out. And yes, you are objectively correct. This is how she's choosing to publicly message her disapproval of the process in the Senate.

I can't fault her for it.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
I get her message, but this is disingenuous. The democrats are adding this on top of the already passed stimuluses that the dems helped to pass. This is bonus stimulus that did not happen under Trump, despite dem efforts. This is bonus stimulus that would not have happened had the 2020 election turned out differently.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Republicans gave a massive tax cut to rich people. They gave more money than Democrats ever will. Why praise a party that keeps penny pinching and means testing?

The bottom line is Republicans reward their supporters, democrats punish theirs.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Why is she giving credit to Republicans for the CARES act? It was a giant win for Democrats, we passed a bill in the House, slammed it through the Senate through overwhelming pressure, and Trump signed it.

Like, Republicans whined about PUA benefits non-stop last year. It wasn't their bill. A big reason why later rounds of relief and such were such as mess was specifically because the Senate GOP felt they got steamrolled with the CARES Act.

Yup. The GOP *hated* that they had to pass it because Trump was for it. Pelosi is responsible for that bill.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

I got more in unemployment under trump too

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
So change parties and support the GOP then. This shit is getting annoying. The political landscape is completely different. Is she also thankful that Republicans wanted fuck all to do any stimulus after the first one?