• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big proponent of UBI, and I would welcome the idea that if UBI had to start on conditionality, to grow into the Universal or Unconditional state, the first group of people who should get it are minorities. This would be in addition to reparations.

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018

Some choice quotes:

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Calif.), the senior Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, said she understands why some thought leaders, such as author Ta-Nehisi Coates, are calling for reparations, but warned the issue is divisive.

"I understand why. I also understand the wound that it opens and the trials and tribulations it's going to bring about. Some things are just better left alone and I think that's one of those things," she said.

"This is a major blemish on American democracy that has lasted for over 100 years now," she said of slavery and discriminatory laws that followed the Civil War. "It's not going to change and we have to learn from it and I think we have."

"No comment," said Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), who punctuated his answer with a slice of his hand.

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) said he was too busy to weigh in on the complex topic.

"I can't deal with a big issue when I'm on the fly," he said as he hustled to a meeting in the Capitol.

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) said "I saw something in the press about it. I haven't even looked at it."

"I'll be happy to look at it," he added.

"I haven't seen it and I don't have any opinion about it," Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) said of Booker's legislation.

"Still learning about it but open to the idea, certainly. I find Cory to be one of the more thoughtful people I've ever known," said Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.).

Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) said of Booker's bill, "I'm looking at the legislation [on setting up a commission] but have not taken a position on it."

I don't want to hear shit if black turnout is low in 2020.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
At this point, I don't think I can get behind the idea of direct reparations... In the long run those checks will do nothing of the system is still designed such that we are most likely to fail.

I want laws that end disenfranchisement. I want an end to inequity in schooling, housing, law enforcement, Healthcare, hiring practices and lending practices. I want college/trade school to be free.

I think investing this way would be more beneficial in the long run. As long as the system itself is racist, the the benefit of reparations will be short lived.
Yeah this is what I'm thinking.

Honestly the only real thing that could help us in the long run if for a deep cleansing and rebuilding of America. The evil is just too baked into the cogs for any other solution to be manageable.

Oct 25, 2017
So are they differentiating between American slave descendents and black people. I was born here, but my mom was a child immigrant.

So I just assumed the reperations thing wouldn't apply to me.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if a reparations system that gave reparations for current racial injustices (and not for slavery) would be able to work?

It would bypass the big logistics issues with slavery-based reparations, as well as the "you weren't a slave and I wasn't a master" "defense."

Something like an updated civil rights collection of laws, plus some financial component (if not direct monetary payment, something like preferential or subsidized housing and school loans, things like that)?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm not American, not descended of American slaves, but I think a great component of the problems in the United States is the existence of an institutional and political framework that systematically perpetuates inequality, poverty, and abuse of black people by authorities and economic agents, and reparations in the form of money transfers wouldn't fix that at all. What the USA needs is a huge institutional reform that fixes healthcare, education, the pension system, the way the criminal justice system and the police work, the way the democracy itself works, the way environmental rights are protected, and a long etcetera, that all disproportionately affect black people, and really, that's what will fix things in the long term.

Things like:
-Dissolving all the existing police and starting from scratch with a federal police system that is subject to standardized and strict training and regulations and hiring policies. Have a strong internal affairs system that puts focus on the proper treatment of minorities, foster the presence of minorities in all levels of this new police.
-Making public universities affordable, inventivize black people to go through tax breaks, grants, whatever, and foster racial diversity in these universities.
-Massive criminal justice reform, harmonized at the federal level, general amnesty for prisoners of drug crimes and low level crimes, general legalization of Marijuana, much increased scrutiny of the record of convictions by race. Basically, create a new federal criminal code that's worthy of a civilized country.
-Create proper urban development policies, and proper, rational investment in disadvantaged areas. Invest in public transport for these areas, and I mean real public transport and not Hyperloop or Loop or other bullshit.
-Complete reformation of electoral laws, and the instauration of a mandatory federal ID that gives no excuses to the ID law bullshit.

What I see in the USA is a general degree of institutional failure that is unlike that of any other developed country, and that (Coincidence? I don't think so) disproportionately punishes black people. Until all those things aren't corrected, the problems will be perpetuated ad infinitum.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
The execution of all killer cops. If they're deceased, their families pay the debt to the victim's families.
I do think the US badly needs more devastating penalties for police corruption. As of right now its clear that its pretty much designed for abuse.

Pretty disappointed with how quick this topic died (with a slight eyebrow raise), only remembered it because of a tab left open and remembered I needed to finish this comment.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Not a black dude but maybe we could start reparations by having some police accountability by that a total reform of police and the prison system.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Whatever it is, it should include therapy because racism is traumatizing and most black people have spent their life being gaslighted by pretty much all of society.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
White as fuck but here is my take:

Land and money. A piece of property bought and paid for and a chunk of cash. Enough to build a house, or if the property has a house, take a bit out of the cash to give the person enough to have a little something afterwards