• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So in my mind its not and if, but only a how to accomplish it. So if you want to have a debate on if, then this isn't for you.

So I propose a 1 trillion dollar package of straight cash and community reinvestment/housing.

I would propose we first do away with tax burden on those 18 and over. Only federal taxes. We will also give free college tuition to any public state college, and give black people a housing allowance or small business allowance ( like the government pays a down payment on a house or offers ultra low interest rate loans for housing and small businesses. Credit shouldnt factor into it due to systemic racism and generational roadblocks which set many black people on the road to average credit). Of course financial planning courses should be required as well.

The government should also invest into majority black communities to begin to rebuild the schools and environment and give incentives for businesses to move to these areas.

and finally each person 18 or over gets 20k. Its what we gave the Japanese for what we did to them. Slavery is something which also deserves some compensation as well.

All in all it would be a good start to repair generations of damage done to our community.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
free university (any publically funded university is automatic entry as long as you have the grades)
discounts on various things like gas, etc
$1500 tax free a month for X years

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly this is a hard one. I would say do it threw a education fund and investments in black neighborhoods. Jobs and education is a foundation that could help generations.

Edit: I Also feel we should add native American to this as well. They are the two deserving groups.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I feel like if something is done, it should be over a short amount of time. Anything greater than say 5 years will end up getting voted away the moment Republicans get power.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I like every idea proposed in the OP but I worry about community reinvestment. I've seen what happens when we invest in black communities and it usually leads to black people being kicked out of them. It's why I feel something in here should be tied to property ownership to ensure that people can't be displaced so easily.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're not even looking the right way. The only way to properly resolve the situation is by completely destroying it and the unfair wealth the benefactors have accumulated. Otherwise, with what you propose, it's just going to be rich white people giving black people hush money to shut up so that they can continue to dominate.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You're not even looking the right way. The only way to properly resolve the situation is by completely destroying it and the unfair wealth the benefactors have accumulated. Otherwise, with what you propose, it's just going to be rich white people giving black people hush money to shut up so that they can continue to dominate.
We could do a supertax on slave owning families, the more members owned the biggest number of people the greater the tax.
Or even just the shitheads that were compensated during Reconstruction.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if something is done, it should be over a short amount of time. Anything greater than say 5 years will end up getting voted away the moment Republicans get power.
This is also true. Realistically speaking, the only way this will be accomplished is to not frame it as reparations and have it apply to everyone at a certain income level.

Oct 30, 2017
For all newborns, something along the lines of an UTMA from the state to the child redeemable at 18. Start with a few thousand (10k?) and let it earn interest and grow. Give young black youth an opportunity to start their lives with some breathing room.
At 6% that can grow to 28k. At 8% it can grow to 40k.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We could do a supertax on slave owning families, the more members owned the biggest number of people the greater the tax.
Or even just the shitheads that were compensated during Reconstruction.
And who is going to pass the laws for those reparations? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of congressmen were descendants of slave-owning families, they wouldn't go against their own interests.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Tax the living fuck out of the mega rich. Something like 98% for those making 8 figures or more. Funnel all that money into black neighborhoods and start rebuilding from the ground up. New Schools, new housing, more social programs, healthcare etc.

Along with a reparations package, i think you also gotta think about completely reforming the criminal justice system. Get rid of the 3 strikes and your in prison forever bullshit, get rid of private prisons, get rid of all the baggage you get when you get out of prison, get rid of going to prison for non violent offenses, get rid of the current police dept. in each district and rehire all new officers, with a new code and practice and routine. yada yada yada and on and on and on

You can't talk about reparations without reforming the criminal system if America is still enslaving it's black men and women.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I discovered a pretty left leaning board yesterday, and this conversation had just started there, too. I had though, "This discussion would fit at era," so that is weird timing!

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Handing the black community cash and not fixing the broken system that leads to generational inequity is not really reparations, it's a "go away forever" card played by racists.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like just handing someone a check is a short-term solution. We need to put black people in more positions of power. I think about college, employment, home loan, business loans, etc. where black applicants were more likely to be turned down. I'd like to flip that around to where black applicants are more likely to be accepted. Give us priority ranking. Invest alot more money in diversity programs.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
And who is going to pass the laws for those reparations? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of congressmen were descendants of slave-owning families, they wouldn't go against their own interests.
I mean that as a pie in the sky thing, this is about as likely to pass as even the mildest form of reparation.
What about black people who are in slave owning families?
That is an interesting part because you could actually give them breaks based on how other identify them.
They're gonna suffer discrimination based on that anyway.
Sins of the fathers? You serious?
Why not, it's not like anything is done to help people who were put in disadvantaged position due what Mormons would call "Sins of the fathers".

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No federal taxes.
Free college tuition.
Preferential bank loans.
No direct money.

I'll gladly take some hush money.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1) $50,000 in tax credits for qualifying individuals, perhaps $5,000 over 10 years.
2) Federal grant money for communities who want to fix up their neighborhoods (no more broken windows), which in turn will make these neighborhoods more attractive to businesses. This has been shown to be effective before.
In addition to much of what OP already laid out.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the no federal tax for 300 years is a good one.

There can also be a small financial reimbursement, something like 20-30k

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
A comprehensive package of tax credits for expenditures on child and healthcare
access to capital for business loans, new home construction and current home improvements
funds for early, vocational, and higher education

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I have a logistics question: what requirements are needed to claim reparations? Evidence of ancestral lineage? DNA testing? Evidence of current economic struggles?

This isn't a "bu bu bu people will abuse this!" post for the sake of concern trolling, but it is an impasse that would absolutely come up in Congress (probably by people that actually will pull the "bu bu bu"), and that'll need to be answered before any significant reparations would ever be passed.

Woke Bespoke

Banned
May 12, 2019
Free housing. Free food. Free education. Free healthcare. Free transportation. Free entertainment. I don't care what it is, it needs to be free. And we need it right now.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I have a logistics question: what requirements are needed to claim reparations? Evidence of ancestral lineage? DNA testing? Evidence of current economic struggles?

This isn't a "bu bu bu people will abuse this!" post for the sake of concern trolling, but it is an impasse that would absolutely come up in Congress (probably by people that actually will pull the "bu bu bu"), and that'll need to be answered before any significant reparations would ever be passed.
ancestral lineage and DNA testing could work.
I don't think the point of reparation is to undo racism, the way I get it it's really about about the whole slavery thing.
A separate, distinct reparation should happen for Jim Crow laws though.

OP
OP
Chrome Hyena

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

i said the entire black community because IMO, the damage done to the entire community has been so great that it no longer matters if you were a direct descendant of a slave. You just being a BLACK person is now hampered by the system due to generational destruction of the black community since slavery. You also have to contend with the institutional racism and biases inherent in all levers of power rather you're a descendant of slavery or not. Being born black in America, you don't start out "neutral" like others, you start out life with one hand tied behind your back. So the only way to fix it is to simply apply it to the community as a whole. And sure we can put some income requirements on it, like maybe only black families/individuals making less than 200k a year? or have it scale with income.

But trying to find direct descendants is just a way to not move forward. And im not accusing you of it, im saying we just bypass it altogether.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
On the topics of things like tuition, housing allowances, tax waivers: what stops white America from attaching caveats to these things? You have to guarantee that these neighborhoods, services and resources aren't deliberately wrecked in retaliation.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not, it's not like anything is done to help people who were put in disadvantaged position due what Mormons would call "Sins of the fathers".
Someone whose great-great-grandfather was a slaveowner, and then maybe their grandfather lost all their money in whereever and now they're a regular ol' dude. How are they especially at fault?
This isn't worth arguing about since it'll never happen.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it could be done along side the federal legalization of marijuana. Let black entrepreneurs have the first crack at it and make sure tax money is going back into the community.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Someone whose great-great-grandfather was a slaveowner, and then maybe their grandfather lost all their money in whereever and now they're a regular ol' dude. How are they especially at fault?
This isn't worth arguing about since it'll never happen.
They still won't have it as bad as the former slaves's descendant that have to contend with the BS system put in place.
You can also cap the tax on direct revenue and assets.
There is something inherently unethical in a system where one side owned the other and once the one side had to give up their unethical ownership they are compensated but the the former slaves get nothing and afterward get stomped times and times again.
No one gave a shit about the situation of former slaves enough to give them anything, why should anyone care about the former slave owners' anything?

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They still won't have it as bad as the former slaves's descendant that have to contend with the BS system put in place.
You can also cap the tax on direct revenue and assets.
There is something inherently unethical in a system where one side owned the other and once the one side had to give up their unethical ownership they are compensated but the the former slaves get nothing and afterward get stomped times and times again.
No one gave a shit about the situation of former slaves enough to give them anything, why should anyone care about the former slave owners' anything?
Two wrongs don't make a right.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That is an interesting part because you could actually give them breaks based on how other identify them.
They're gonna suffer discrimination based on that anyway.

I don't know what you mean by this, I'm talking specifically about black people who married into families that owned slaves, who have children that are black/mixed and are also direct descendants of slave owners.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
But we would be paying taxes for that free healthcare. What he's proposing is tax-free and healthcare free for the black community.
Sorry, I'm a little slow today. If universal healthcare and free education (again, by taxes) become a thing then black people not paying taxes would be great for reparations, I agree.