• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's a report in Financial Times about Apple Arcade, here are some bits:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/15/apple-arcade-500m-plus-budget-report/

Apple is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to secure new games for its forthcoming Apple Arcade subscription service, with its total budget likely to exceed $500 million, according to the Financial Times.

The report, citing several people involved in the project's development, claims Apple is incentivizing developers by spending several million dollars each on most of the more than 100 games that have been selected to be available on Apple Arcade when the service launches later this year.

While the report claims games on Apple Arcade will not be available on Android or through other subscription-based gaming services, it says developers will be permitted to release their games on PCs or other games consoles such as the Nintendo Switch or PlayStation after a few months of exclusivity.

Apple Arcade will feature titles from well-known brands such as Disney, Sega, Lego, Cartoon Network, and Konami, as well as indie studios such as Snowman, Annapurna Interactive, WayForward, and Klei Entertainment.

Apple has yet to reveal pricing for its Arcade service, slated to launch in fall 2019 in more than 150 countries across the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. All games on Apple Arcade will be fully-featured, all-you-can-play experiences, with no ads and no in-app purchases necessary.

note: not all games on apple arcade are going to be exclusives, a game can show up on there without being exclusive to the service for months.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats interesting. Everyone's favorite console company does it anyway so nothing is different here.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Why is Apple doing this? Are they going to launch a game console or something? I'd rather wait than use your service to play games on my phone or tablet.
Yeah I could buy a gamepad or... and this is crazy... I could just wait and play it on a console or my PC.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious to know if:
1. All games will be on all Apple device classes.
2. games on the service will remain on the service indefinitely.
3. games on the service will be only available on the service, or will also be sold separately.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm good waiting ....not starting to play again on phones because of a couple month exclusivity.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
wk77e7g9gug21.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Nintendo will get on this. Know they wanted paid games to work out but it didn't.

They made Mario run exclusive for a time to iOS anyways.

Probably smart from Apple, creating an environment where devs can make money without being F2P would go a long way in fixing the market they broke.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Remember when companies that wanted to enter the gaming market used money to actually make exclusive content for their platform instead of just preventing content to be released on other platforms? Good times.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Most of us have a phone in our pocket that hammers the Switch for performance. No reason my iPhone couldn't be docket to my TV or something. Phones just lack decent control and just been home to F2P MT shit. Apple Arcade looks like it might address the latter.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Not a fan of these exclusivity deals. When a game comes out it should be available to as many people as possible and it's not like any of these developers are going to part of any division within Apple anyway, etc.

Same goes for Epic.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
500 million over a defined period or 500 million per year? If it's the former then they'll probably need more.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
please let shantae 5 be an exception ;_;
not all games that are going to be on apple arcade are going to be exclusives, this just applies to the games that apple explicitly is going to market as exclusives and is helping with their development, financially. sayonara wild hearts, for example, is coming to switch first but will also be on apple arcade.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thats interesting. Everyone's favorite console company does it anyway so nothing is different here.
Well, it's not good there either but at least in that case, you can still play on a proper gaming platform. Locking games to a phone or tablet, however, just sucks. I wouldn't spoil a game by playing it there so it just means waiting longer. Not a huge deal, I suppose, but kind of annoying.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait until everybody has a streaming service. We will see this happen left and right on all services. Welcome to the future of gaming.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Man, I'm just happy to get another Sakaguchi game. I'm tempted to pick up an iPhone/iPad down the line just for that game alone ^.^

Kinda wish Xbox controllers were MFI approved tho

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I personally have never owned or purchased an Apple product in my life. But I love videogames. I'm really curious if they can secure exclusives that interest me enough to change all that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to it. The main reason mobile gaming sucks is because app stores are a fucking disaster thats impossible to sift through all the garbage and which incentivizes the scummiest monitization schemes so even the good looking games often end up ruined by micro transactions or ads. This should solve that problem by basically making a place where only solid non-scummy games live in peace.

As long as the price is right.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally have never owned or purchased an Apple product in my life. But I love videogames. I'm really curious if they can secure exclusives that interest me enough to change all that.
knowing the exclusives will only remain exclusive for a short while, why would you just not wait and get the games on platforms you're used to?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
knowing the exclusives will only remain exclusive for a short while, why would you just not wait and get the games on platforms you're used to?

Because I've always been a day 0 kinda guy for better or for worse. If they secured for example, (and there's no way this would possibly happen but it's just a hypothetical) Destiny 3; I'd be incredibly tempted to get an Apple device just to be there at launch.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
if they release an official controller for mobile then I'll be interested. if not, ehh

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I hope they buy some AAA stuff simply to observe if there is any change in opinion regarding buying timed exclusives.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
My only Apple device is my work phone, which I keep completely kosher as I have a personal Android phone. So I'm fine waiting for the games to show up on PC as I'm not at all interested in the Apple walled garden.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't even know why people are angry here, it's not like most people are interested in ports of mobile games when they hit pc/consoles, and even if you are this is just a short exclusivity window. this service is mostly about mobile games (ok you can play on mac too), these are the kinda games that have been mobile-only for years and suddenly people care about them being exclusives for a while? even after that window most of them probably won't be released on pc/consoles cuz they only make sense as mobile games.

Because I've always been a day 0 kinda guy for better or for worse. If they secured for example, (and there's no way this would possibly happen but it's just a hypothetical) Destiny 3; I'd be incredibly tempted to get an Apple device just to be there at launch.
this isn't EGS, tbh. these exclusives are mostly just going to be the kind of games that have been mobile-only for years. i don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

I'm looking forward to it. The main reason mobile gaming sucks is because app stores are a fucking disaster thats impossible to sift through all the garbage and which incentivizes the scummiest monitization schemes so even the good looking games often end up ruined by micro transactions or ads. This should solve that problem by basically making a place where only solid non-scummy games live in peace.
i agree, the market for premium, non f2p, non add-ridden is basically dead now (outside of very few examples), this is pretty much the only way possible that those games can exist on mobile again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another Epic type money-hatting then.
except these are mobile games that most people won't give a shit about if they came to PC/consoles anyway, day 1 or a few months later. not at all comparable to EGS.

500m doesn't seem like it'll go very far, unless we aren't talking AAA here.
this isn't about securing AAA games at all! these are just premium mobile games (a market that is pretty much dead, btw) at the end of the day.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they're even bothering. I don't think there's that much crossover between people who would buy games on other platforms and people who would play the games on an Apple service.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Watch them secure Shenmue 4, Strider 4, Street Fighter VI or other arcade games that will make a comeback.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Most of us have a phone in our pocket that hammers the Switch for performance. No reason my iPhone couldn't be docket to my TV or something. Phones just lack decent control and just been home to F2P MT shit. Apple Arcade looks like it might address the latter.
That's what Apple aims for with their subscriptions to get "oldschool" games. Mobile gaming really went downhill with Gachas, GaaS and endless f2p games. Games like 80 days or the sword & sorcery ep are just dead.

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder how much 'timed exclusively' does for Apple, especially for mobile games. I really doubt anyone would be swayed to buy a phone just because a game is on it a few months before everywhere else 🤔