• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to know if:
1. All games will be on all Apple device classes.
2. games on the service will remain on the service indefinitely.
3. games on the service will be only available on the service, or will also be sold separately.
my guess is yes to 1 and 3, and mostly yes to 2 as long as the dev is around and able to update the game to be compatible with the latest devices.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Because I've always been a day 0 kinda guy for better or for worse. If they secured for example, (and there's no way this would possibly happen but it's just a hypothetical) Destiny 3; I'd be incredibly tempted to get an Apple device just to be there at launch.

This "launch day or bust" attitude is the root of of so many problems in the industry.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Also, say what you will about exclusives on consoles, but this kind of blatant moneyhatting of games that would otherwise be multiplatform isn't anywhere near as rampant in that space.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what Apple aims for with their subscriptions to get "oldschool" games. Mobile gaming really went downhill with Gachas, GaaS and endless f2p games. Games like 80 days or the sword & sorcery ep are just dead.
exactly, people not familiar will mobile gaming market might not know but the market for non f2p games on mobile is just deader than dead. people don't pay money for mobile games, and many of the devs of premium mobile games have either transitioned to f2p or moved on to other platforms. the rate at which great paid mobile games come out has slowed down to a crawl. this service is imo a great way to get people to play good games on their phones that aren't f2p/gacha/gaas.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Expectation: Apple funds console quality games with no MTX
Reality: $500 million spent on timed exclusivity for Supercell/King/Chinese games

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
If competition is good for PC, it should be good for consoles too, right?

The fact that Apple Music is bigger than Spotify in USA means they have a decent chance of success.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I, personally, think this is great.

I'd loce to have actually good games to play on my iPhone. Quality experiences without microtransactions that aren't designed purely to waste my time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reality: $500 million spent on timed exclusivity for Supercell/King/Chinese games
those games will remain f2p and have a big market on android and will never be on apple arcade. this is about securing premium mobile games, the kind of games that supercell/king/chinese devs don't touch with a ten foot pole.
actually, they said when they announced the service that "All games on Apple Arcade will be fully-featured, all-you-can-play experiences, with no ads and no in-app purchases necessary" so don't expect any f2p game on there.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out that both Epic and Google is spending/planning to spend similar quantities of money to secure exclusives for their respective platforms, as well. Plus, Microsoft and Sony (and, to a lesser extent, Nintendo) is going to have to respond. The next twelve months or so is going to be an extremely lucrative time to release a high quality game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This "launch day or bust" attitude is the root of of so many problems in the industry.
It's true since it drives sales, pre order , exclusives ect. But I've been like that my whole life. Had to be the first kid on the block to get the latest and greatest. Have to play or watch things asap to avoid spoilers. Have to get the competitive games first to get a leg up on the competition.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out that both Epic and Google is spending/planning to spend similar quantities of money to secure exclusives for their respective platforms, as well. Plus, Microsoft and Sony (and, to a lesser extent, Nintendo) is going to have to respond. The next twelve months or so is going to be an extremely lucrative time to release a high quality game.
exclusives from third parties are pretty much dead now. with most platforms using standard architectures and engines making porting very easy, it makes zero sense for any 3rd party dev to not put their games on as many platforms as possible. it's more important than ever for any platform holder to differentiate their platform with 1st-part titles/money hatted 3rd-party games.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I wonder if Bethesda could be tempted to make a MTX free version of Blades available for Apple Arcade. That would be a killer app for a lot of people.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else worried about (insert x big game) getting huge graphical downgrade b/c of $$$ to become timed exclusive on Apple Arcade?
these games will have to be playable on a basic iphone touchscreen. anyone expecting apple to secure some well-known AAA pc/console title/series is being ridiculous.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The latest fashion is here:
58095-alt1.png

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Don't most phone games take months to hit PC/Consoles anyways? If they ever do in the first place?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
There is nothing to compare this to. Is this a lot??
Compared to your top 10 grossing mobile games, no.
For traditional studios, or indies, yes, this is a great cash infusion.

Also, I think y'all are going to be really psyched for some of the titles they're making deals for.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why is Apple doing this? Are they going to launch a game console or something? I'd rather wait than use your service to play games on my phone or tablet.

Why wouldn't they do this? This can bring in Tons of subscription cash for them, if executed well.

Yeah I could buy a gamepad or... and this is crazy... I could just wait and play it on a console or my PC.

Even crazier, they are targeting the hundreds of millions of humans in their ecosystem that aren't you.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expected they were spending money on a lot of Sony style exclusives, that remain exclusives forever, ie paying for development of games.

Instead, they are paying for a few months of exclusivity, on games that were in development anyway? OK

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Well, it's not good there either but at least in that case, you can still play on a proper gaming platform. Locking games to a phone or tablet, however, just sucks. I wouldn't spoil a game by playing it there so it just means waiting longer. Not a huge deal, I suppose, but kind of annoying.

The games can be played on Apple TV and Mac. This was announced on stage.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
these games will have to be playable on a basic iphone touchscreen. anyone expecting apple to secure some well-known AAA pc/console title/series is being ridiculous.

Even then, there are small non-powerhouse graphical games which have great controls that would suck to have downgraded. I hope Shantae 5 isn't limited by accommodating sloppy touch control.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing this will have a plethora of games specifically for iPhone and specifically for iMac. Gotta reward those deep in the ecosystem.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The games can be played on Apple TV and Mac. This was announced on stage.
Great! I don't use a Mac and Apple TV is useless for the most part for me.

None of these are great gaming options. Well, the Mac isn't a bad way to go *IF* you're using one of them. I wouldn't mind a nice Macbook, to be honest, but it just doesn't fit my computing needs.

So, yeah, it just means waiting if a game I care about comes down the line.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Why is Apple doing this? Are they going to launch a game console or something? I'd rather wait than use your service to play games on my phone or tablet.
Yeah I could buy a gamepad or... and this is crazy... I could just wait and play it on a console or my PC.
A world where you can stream AAA games onto your mobile devices via xCloud, PSNow, or Stadia means that Apple's mobile business can lose out immensely in mindshare. They're trying to get ahead of the curve.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
except these are mobile games that most people won't give a shit about if they came to PC/consoles anyway, day 1 or a few months later. not at all comparable to EGS.

this isn't about securing AAA games at all! these are just premium mobile games (a market that is pretty much dead, btw) at the end of the day.
There will be AAA's.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
except these are mobile games that most people won't give a shit about if they came to PC/consoles anyway, day 1 or a few months later. not at all comparable to EGS.
Sure it won't effect most people since they are primarily mobile game's but that doesn't change the fact that it's Epic type of money-hatting.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
so you think something with the budget of assassin's creed or tomb raider or whatnot will show up [as a limited time exclusive] on apple arcade?
I don't know the details, but I've heard rumors that yes, games with large budgets from well-established studios are being courted by Apple.
Whether or not they accepted, I don't know. Presumably yes. Studios like money.

Also unsure of whether the contracts are for exclusivity or only to put the games on Apple Arcade. We'll see I guess... but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Remember when companies that wanted to enter the gaming market used money to actually make exclusive content for their platform instead of just preventing content to be released on other platforms? Good times.

Yeah, good old times,when Final Fantasy VII and many other games released just for PS1 and not N64.

Edit: or when Microsoft bought Halo which was shown for a while as a PC game

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the details, but I've heard rumors that yes, games with large budgets from well-established studios are being courted by Apple.
Whether or not they accepted, I don't know. Presumably yes. Studios like money.

Also unsure of whether the contracts are for exclusivity or only to put the games on Apple Arcade. We'll see I guess... but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former.
huh, curious to see what comes out of that.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Well people are going to review bomb the shit out of the "Apple II" computer to send Apple a message that they are serious "GAMERZ".....