• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Soon we'll have games exclusive to 10 different stores/systems

Xbox
Nintendo
Sony
Steam
Epic Game Store
Google Stadia
Apple Arcade

This reminds me of when there was like 7 different console developers back in the late 70s-90s

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Companies have been doing this since forever. Nintendo secured one year exclusivity on Street Fighter 2 to keep the game off Genesis like 30 years ago. In an industry where tribal fandom to one company over the other has been such an integral (and sometimes celebrated) part of the hobby, and throwing a rise in subscription service based business models similar to what you are seeing in TV, where keeping people subbed from month to month, and where companies Netflix, Hulu, etc are shelling out tons for exclusive content, im not sure why people expect any different. This is an evolution of how gaming has always been, and of what successful gaming companies have always done.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Because moneyhatting was clearly the reason why FF VII came to PSX instead of the N64. Couldn´t have been anything else.

It would have been a different game, but lets not forget you had all 6 mainline ff games on a Nintendo platform up until then. And less licensing fees and thus more money was definetly a reason

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
What sort of title will make sense of this strategy, mobile and pc/console don't have much overlap in their libraries, especially when it comes to paid games; when they do, the differences between each version are usually pretty significant.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Apple doing this but I just don't see what the market is for a subscription service for timed exclusives of indie mobile games. There'll be some cool games on there sure, but are there going to be 'platform sellers'?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
That's what Apple aims for with their subscriptions to get "oldschool" games. Mobile gaming really went downhill with Gachas, GaaS and endless f2p games. Games like 80 days or the sword & sorcery ep are just dead.
Yeah because people in the comments of these games complain that there is no F2P option and that "5 dollars is a bit steep" lol. The mobile market is trash because everyone expects free games with "optional" in-game purchases.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
ahh

so that's why Streets of Rage 4 doesn't have announced platforms yet.

Oh man... don't tell me that's the reason for all this secrecy...

Remember when companies that wanted to enter the gaming market used money to actually make exclusive content for their platform instead of just preventing content to be released on other platforms? Good times.

I don't remember. Exclusives, whether done by force of market power or the allure of money given or saved, have always been a part of the console industry.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
As much as I love my Apple gadgets, the lack of physical controls will prevent me from using my iPhone as my primary gaming device.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Remember when companies that wanted to enter the gaming market used money to actually make exclusive content for their platform instead of just preventing content to be released on other platforms? Good times.

Apple is funding a fuckton of development. Maybe read up first huh.

I dont think im the target audience for this. I buy mobile games once in a blue moon, they would have to be exceptional for me to buy in to this.

For devs this seems like a Dream though. I wonder what the deal is exactly. Are they just funding development or are devs getting a cut based on downloads, etc

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era's the type of enthusiast form where playing serious games on a phone is a dealbreaker, but given the popularity of phone games - even stuff like Fortnite and PUBG Mobile that are also playable on "real" systems - it's really worth remembering that the mass market does not mind playing even "real" games with a touch screen

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Even crazier, they are targeting the hundreds of millions of humans in their ecosystem that aren't you.

You clearly misunderstood my point. What I'm saying is that people already interested in console style games aren't going to be swayed by timed exclusivity when they could just wait. Especially since playing these kind of games on a glass slab is without question an inferior experience to playing it with an actual controller.

I thought we all realised that the best mobile games are one's that utilize the touch controls in an intuitive way instead of trying to simulate on-screen controls. If Apple was trying to make a sub service for mobile games that would be one thing but clearly they're trying to go after that console market.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I dunno, Nintendo, Sony and Ms made tons of deals for exclusive content when they first entered the market and still do. Don't see what's different from what Apple is doing.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Seriously fucks me up that a lot of people don't like this. Apple is injecting $500m into large and small game developers around the world and people are unhappy because the games are exclusive for a brief period? This is amazing for hundreds of game devs out there, in terms of helping to launch studios, push them farther or even just stay alive for longer.

In general, any big company taking money out of their money hoard and putting it into the world like this is just a good thing all around.

EDIT: And yeah, it really doesn't matter if you want to use their services or products or not. Game devs are being paid en masse. New games will exist specifically because of this, and not just on iOS! This is seriously amazing!

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
This is more problematic/annoying than the EGS.

The epic store its just a different client, this one is like the usual iOS exclusivity but now with games that maybe were going to be on other systems.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously fucks me up that a lot of people don't like this. Apple is injecting $500m into large and small game developers around the world and people are unhappy because the games are exclusive for a brief period? This is amazing for hundreds of game devs out there, in terms of helping to launch studios, push them farther or even just stay alive for longer.

In general, any big company taking money out of their money hoard and putting it into the world like this is just a good thing all around.

EDIT: And yeah, it really doesn't matter if you want to use their services or products or not. Game devs are being paid en masse. New games will exist specifically because of this, and not just on iOS! This is seriously amazing!
While the short-term benefits to devs are obvious, I do have concerns that all this moneyhatting will have negative long term concequences with the resulting fragmentation of the games industry. As pointed out earlier, every game really should be available on as many platforms as possible, and this runs directly counter to that.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm actually pretty excited for Apple Arcade.... and while buying up exclusives might suck for those who don't use Apple products, at least it sounds like they'll just be relatively brief timed exclusives.

The iPhone certainly isn't gonna become my primary gaming device since not all genres work well with touchscreen controls, but some genres work fantastically... point and click adventure, VNs, puzzle, turn-based RPGs, etc.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I can't imagine there will be many exclusives I care about but even if there was there is nothing they could do to get me to use an Apple device.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Great! I don't use a Mac and Apple TV is useless for the most part for me.

None of these are great gaming options. Well, the Mac isn't a bad way to go *IF* you're using one of them. I wouldn't mind a nice Macbook, to be honest, but it just doesn't fit my computing needs.

So, yeah, it just means waiting if a game I care about comes down the line.
Apple TV4K is actually quite great if you get the Steel Series Nimbus controller. It's not like having an Xbox One X but it's surprisingly good for quality shmups and platformers etc that have controller support. I played through Oceanhorn on Apple TV, 60fps, controller, looked slick, nothing to complain about really. It was unplayable with the Apple TV remote though so don't even bother using that.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Much like with the proliferation of streaming video platforms, content creators are going to be the real winners here.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really have no interest in this. There's definitely a market for Apple Arcade but it's not for me. At least not yet.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
nice to see some commitment, will be following. very nice to see new players in the field, it was getting a bit stale anyway.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
more money for indie devs and a platform to stand out from the GaaS garbage. I'm fine with this. Exclusivity windows don't bother me as my steam backlog is already 500+ titles. There's always plenty to play.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What's really the good thing about all of this, is that those games will be free from MTX; in-app purchases; GaaS style revenue system, thus leaving the developer in making a game true to their vision and not to their wallet.

(Well hopefully, at least)

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Because moneyhatting was clearly the reason why FF VII came to PSX instead of the N64. Couldn´t have been anything else.

Square didn't moneyhat FF or any other 3rd party game. They offered a sweet deal to all publishers with bargain bin licensing and royalties for Sony, and the developer gets all the money. Developers made more money than ever compared to publishing games on N64

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
500M isn't even close to start moving the needle on the core-users, assuming Apple even cares about that (but I know this forum does).
Confused on exclusivity now though - I thought they specifically said nothing gets on this store unless it's specifically curated for it - even if exclusivity goes away after. But now it sounds like they'll accept ports as well?

Wonder if Nintendo will get on this.
Nintendo is swimming in lootbox money now - I doubt they have any moral hangups left over bleeding mobile users dry.