• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This is not shocking in any way much like Epics approach. Exclusive content is an approach that is well exercised outside of gaming (now, exclusives used to be more common). I'm sure these companies have data showing people will bend and enter their ecosystem to get at content early when exclusive.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yuck, more games being locked up as timed exclusives. I'm an Apple guy but dislike this as much as the Epic stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
Can't imagine that a single person would be champing at the bit SO much for mobile games that they'd be willing to pay for a subscription just so they can get the game a few months early, but who knows?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
While the short-term benefits to devs are obvious, I do have concerns that all this moneyhatting will have negative long term concequences with the resulting fragmentation of the games industry. As pointed out earlier, every game really should be available on as many platforms as possible, and this runs directly counter to that.
Unless a developer shuts down, I would bet money that 90% or more of these games will be available officially on other devices where it will play appropriately.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's what Apple aims for with their subscriptions to get "oldschool" games. Mobile gaming really went downhill with Gachas, GaaS and endless f2p games. Games like 80 days or the sword & sorcery ep are just dead.
That's not true. Quality/good paid mobile games come out every month, not to mention great ports

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine that a single person would be champing at the bit SO much for mobile games that they'd be willing to pay for a subscription just so they can get the game a few months early, but who knows?
I mean generally speaking anyone who buys into a subscription for only 1 game likely is making a bad decision. But in general, paying for a sub that will give you access to hundreds of titles can't be a bad deal unless you are a super specific type of gamer.

monsterboysp

Oct 30, 2017
I mean generally speaking anyone who buys into a subscription for only 1 game likely is making a bad decision. But in general, paying for a sub that will give you access to hundreds of titles can't be a bad deal unless you are a super specific type of gamer.

Yeppers. Seems many think that every game will be released on xx yy platform after a term of exclusivity on Apple Arcade. They won't, there will be "mobile" only games as there is now that won't move anywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still unsure what's actually left to scrape out of the premium mobile game barrel. Everyone who knows they have something is F2P, the rest are limited by the same problems they always have. People don't pay upfront on mobile and the fight for attention means that games have to be redesigned to make a dent anyway, and that's not even getting into the hardware issues.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still unsure what's actually left to scrape out of the premium mobile game barrel. Everyone who knows they have something is F2P, the rest are limited by the same problems they always have. People don't pay upfront on mobile and the fight for attention means that games have to be redesigned to make a dent anyway, and that's not even getting into the hardware issues.

I agree. I suppose its admirable that they're even trying, but mobile gaming has no inherent value and no future.

It's not a market worth saving really.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This is not shocking in any way much like Epics approach. Exclusive content is an approach that is well exercised outside of gaming (now, exclusives used to be more common). I'm sure these companies have data showing people will bend and enter their ecosystem to get at content early when exclusive.
For phone games?

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I like exclusive games from partnership... because there is a money investment to take the games to life.
But I never liked games delayed on other consoles because of timed exclusive...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not use that money to make your own shit
this is way cheaper than just creating a bunch of studios from the ground up. for a company like apple that has no experience in game development, that will be a super expensive project to establish a few first party studios that are able to put out good games, and even if they started right now it'll take years before they'll be able to put out any game.

I have a strong feeling this will be a disappointment for a company like Apple who usually shoots for the moon.
i feel like it's gonna fail and get shut down after a year or two, but at least a bunch of good premium mobile games will come out of it that will also come to other platforms.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
this is way cheaper than just creating a bunch of studios from the ground up. for a company like apple that has no experience in game development, that will be a super expensive project to establish a few first party studios that are able to put out good games, and even if they started right now it'll take years before they'll be able to put out any game.

i feel like it's gonna fail and get shut down after a year or two, but at least a bunch of good premium mobile games will come out of it that will also come to other platforms.
They aren't gonna quit after a year lol. This isn't Google

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when companies that wanted to enter the gaming market used money to actually make exclusive content for their platform instead of just preventing content to be released on other platforms? Good times.

I mean what you're saying is basically the same thing...

Companies pay to have exclusives, whether it makes it or commissions it, so those games aren't on other platforms.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like exclusive games from partnership... because there is a money investment to take the games to life.
But I never liked games delayed on other consoles because of timed exclusive...

What you said is a contradiction. No one will invest to bring ideas to life if they can't benefit from them directly, in this case through the use of exclusivity.

Hell, in general, I think Apple not having these as longer exclusives is a weird deal in itself.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
What you said is a contradiction. No one will invest to bring ideas to life if they can't benefit from them directly, in this case through the use of exclusivity.

Hell, in general, I think Apple not having these as longer exclusives is a weird deal in itself.

I think time exclusive is more like a "later deal", than an investment deal on the beginning of a project.

Example:
Halo -> Exclusive, ok with it! They developed interally or with a studio partner, with the focus on the exclusive hardware.
Third party game -> Exclusive for 1 year... why? Just marketing deal. Nothing gained from a gamer prespective... if you own the hw you are ok, if you are not you will get the same a year later...

Maybe i'm wrong...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they will have a chance to turn it around?
true, it just depends on how viable you think the market for premium mobile games are. there's a reason we're not seeing them as much as we used to, most people have proven that for them the free games on mobile are good enough, i just don't think enough of them would be interested in subbing month after month to keep playing apple arcade games.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Cool, so they are not only removing it from traditional platforms for a while, they are also locking it into an overpriced hardware with shitty controls.

Thanks, Apple!

Better than lifetime exclusives I guess, lol.