• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
https://old.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/bcruav/sony_is_the_reason_we_cannot_do_character/

You can hear Jason Schreier talk about it here at 57 minutes:

https://overcast.fm/+FKOYoMxYg/57:15

I heard that Bungie wanted to do character transfers for PS4, PC - before Forsaken came out - but Sony wouldn't allow it," Schreier said. "Sony is just like, we want people to associate Destiny with PS4, even if that means screwing over other players.

It sucks and hopefully Bungie ends it.

He mentions Bungie wanted to enable transfers between PC, PS4, and Xbox but Sony wouldn't allow it because they wanted to associate Destiny with Playstation.

Do you think that this along with ps4 exclusive content will change in the future now that Activision is out of the picture?

Last edited by a moderator:

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope. Great game would be even better if we had cross platform progression and/or crossplay.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Yeah, the extra guns isn't a big deal. But the fact Bungie allows exclusivity with strike maps etc. is very, very messed up.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I think I'm done with Sony for the foreseeable future until they stop with these cancerous practices.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Okay so fuck Sony. And Bungie why didn't you just do it? Announce it on bungie.net and make Activison and Sony look like the evil potato eating fucks they are, when the force the backtrack.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I hope D3 is cross platform/cross save. PvP on PC is so much different and a whole new level from Console PvP.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's influence has been really restrictive for social gaming this generation, there's no getting around that. Things like windowed-exclusivity for cosmetics or items is less disruptive for devs/publishers than something like this, which actually affects their business strategy and flexibility.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
It's not clear to me whether they're talking about transfers between D1 and D2 or between the different consoles for D2 characters. If it's the former, I don't understand why Sony would have had an issue with D1 > D2 on the same platform, so I still chalk that up to Bungie's poor planning.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I somewhat understand in this instance, like most of friends didn't even know that Battlefront was coming to Xbox/PC when it was announced because of how strong the PS4 marketing was for it

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
It's not clear to me whether they're talking about transfers between D1 and D2 or between the different consoles for D2 characters. If it's the former, I don't understand why Sony would have had an issue with D1 > D2 on the same platform, so I still chalk that up to Bungie's poor planning.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about transfers of characters in Destiny 2 between different platforms

Josecitox

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
we'll see what happens in September when the exclusivity ends then.

Okay so fuck Sony. And Bungie why didn't you just do it? Announce it on bungie.net and make Activison and Sony look like the evil potato eating fucks they are, when the force the backtrack.

Because that's not how a contract and legal obligations work, not everything can be fixed with a change.org petition.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of cross progression is one of the reasons I stopped playing. After playing games on PC, I don't want to play on PS4 anymore

Oct 25, 2017
The single handed thing that killed destiny 2 for me was not being able to play on PC when I solo and on PS4 when my friend wanted to play. So GG guys.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This has been quite obvious since Destiny 1 due to the way Bungie.net works.
All the character data is stored on Bungie.net and they have their own system in place for social stuff there that can very well be used not just for cross save but also cross play so when it wasn't there then it was obvious to figure out that it was due to Sony.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Sony has such a short memory. You can become the losers again, bubs; people aren't as faithful to brands as you arrogant bastards think.

And thanks for making me grind 3 new chars when switching to PC.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
This really pissed me off when I switched from PS4 to PC last October. Had to start from scratch and still don't have all the gear I have on my PS4 account.

Screw these anti consumer practices, no matter who does it.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm really interested to see if Bungie cancels their exclusivity stuff with Sony after this. Part of me kinda doubts they will because when Bungie announced their split, Sony linked the post on their twitter, but we'll see.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
sony has no reason to change there ways as they are #1

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
This really pissed me off when I switched from PS4 to PC last October. Had to start from scratch and still don't have all the gear I have on my PS4 account.

Screw these anti consumer practices, no matter who does it.
Why did you switch then? You knew it didn't have cross progression in the beginning, yet your complaining about switching and starting over lol

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Why even need Transfer's? There is no reason there can't just be cross platform accounts. Everything is stored server side. It's no different than Fortnite, just log in to whatever platform you have. Sony could still have its exclusives.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
Why did you switch then? You knew it didn't have cross progression in the beginning, yet your complaining about switching and starting over lol
Because it's a completely different game on PC. When you try playing on console again it feels like a slideshow + I doubt there's technical issues with character transfers, it's all probably stored on Bungie servers. GTA5 used to let you transfer Online characters before.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucked up. Shoulda just allowed it for Xbox.

With this premium PS+ thing on the horizon, Sony is just doubling down on nickel and diming its customers without providing actual service improvements. This has been going on for years now. So of course it will continue for D3.

Last edited:

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's a completely different game on PC. When you try playing on console again it feels like a slideshow + I doubt there's technical issues with character transfers, it's all probably stored on Bungie servers. GTA5 used to let you transfer Online characters before.
Never played on pic but I bet is smoother with the right rig

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Because the console version is utterly mediocre in comparison. It's 30fps, has a super narrow FoV, loading the inventory screen is so slow that you'll probably get killed if you attempt it during actual gameplay, Hand Cannons have terrible bloom just to make them inaccurate for no good reason etc.

The PC version is unquestionably and objectively superior. But the lack of crossplay or, more importantly, cross-progression, means switching to have a better experience comes at the price of starting everything from scratch: gearing up, building friends list etc.

I would pay hundreds of dollars if there were an "account merge" similar to Fortnite's just so I could swap platforms without resetting thousands of hours of progress. And hearing that the devs are on board with platform transferring but it's being blocked by (surprise) the assholes who keep doing this, while utterly unsurprising, is still very upsetting.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
They would have to get rid of their marketing deal with Sony, which i find unlikely considering they'll need that money more than ever if they don't want to partner with another publisher for Destiny 3.