• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
The world stands on the brink of failure when it comes to holding global warming to moderate levels, and nations will need to take "unprecedented" actions to cut their carbon emissions over the next decade, according to a landmark report by the top scientific body studying climate change.
"There is no documented historic precedent" for the sweeping change to energy, transportation and other systems required to reach 1.5 degrees Celsius, the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) wrote in a report requested as part of the 2015 Paris climate agreement.
- WaPo: The world has barely 10 years to get climate change under control, U.N. scientists say

The authors of the report by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released on Monday say the planet will reach the crucial threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial levels by 2030, based on our current levels of greenhouse gas emissions.
The planet is already two-thirds of the way there, with global temperatures having warmed about 1 degree C. Avoiding going even higher will require significant action in the next few years.

Global net emissions of carbon dioxide would need to fall by 45% from 2010 levels by 2030 and reach "net zero" around 2050 in order to keep the warming around 1.5 degrees Celsius.

-CNN: Planet has only until 2030 to stem catastrophic climate change, experts warn
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/07/world/climate-change-new-ipcc-report-wxc/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

The report was written and edited by 91 scientists from 40 countries who analyzed more than 6,000 scientific studies. The Paris agreement set out to prevent warming of more than 3.6 degrees above preindustrial levels — long considered a threshold for the most severe social and economic damage from climate change. But the heads of small island nations, fearful of rising sea levels, had also asked scientists to examine the effects of 2.7 degrees of warming.

Absent aggressive action, many effects once expected only several decades in the future will arrive by 2040, and at the lower temperature, the report shows. "It's telling us we need to reverse emissions trends and turn the world economy on a dime," said Myles Allen, an Oxford University climate scientist and an author of the report.

-NYTimes: Major Climate Report Describes a Strong Risk of Crisis as Early as 2040
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/climate/ipcc-climate-report-2040.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think between Putin, Shijin Ping,Kim Jong Un, Netanyahu, Erdogan, Duterte, Theresa May and Donald Trump, we have the most selfless and strategic brain trust the world has ever seen. Thank God those blinkered tools like Kennedy, Churchill, Roosevelt and Obama are gone. Now we can do our own moonshot and New Deal with superior vision and the right way to get there: Clean Coal.

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
"Global net emissions of carbon dioxide would need to fall by 45% from 2010 levels by 2030 and reach "net zero" around 2050 in order to keep the warming around 1.5 degrees Celsius."

Ain't gonna happen. China will still generate half their electricity from coal, and India is growing rapidly, and it will use coal-fired power. In addition to the expected growth in gasoline-fired vehicles.

CO2 emissions are not going to even reach 2010 levels by 2030, let alone 55% of 2010 levels by 2030. No matter what Europe is doing...

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
So you are telling me the fate of the planet hinges on getting Republicans out of office?

Oct 25, 2017
It's difficult to even know how to properly react. The scale of upheaval and change is hard to truly comprehend.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Damn, I'm not gonna live long enough to see a successful DC Film Universe. Feels bad man

Oct 25, 2017
So you are telling me the fate of the planet hinges on getting Republicans out of office?
The US is only one slice of the emissions pie. The only thing the US government could do by itself that could make a real difference is a Manhattan Project-style program focused on carbon capture or some other new technology.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly just feel bad for the younger generations. A hell of a world to inherit.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think between Putin, Shijin Ping,Kim Jong Un, Netanyahu, Erdogan, Duterte, Theresa May and Donald Trump, we have the most selfless and strategic brain trust the world has ever seen. Thank God those blinkered tools like Kennedy, Churchill, Roosevelt and Obama are gone. Now we can do our own moonshot and New Deal with superior vision and the right way to get there: Clean Coal.
Politics is literally the struggle between differing stakes and if your political analysis does not talk about stakes at all then you might want to re-evaluate

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well just max out all of my credit cards and take out a loan and do a whole lot of blow until then

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Even if we managed to get Republicans out of office, you would have to convince the rich that they need to accept not making record profits for a couple decades so we can right the ship.

The rich will instead decide that they have enough money to weather the shitstorm. Sacrifice is for the little people.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Welp.

867e12ed10ad2da375381f7fc608d1d6.gif

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
I know Republicans think it's fake news and "screw you, got mine". Do they not care for the future of their grandkids and their own future generations ?

They want their decendents to inherit that kind of world and suffering, of nothing is done?

But anyway, I worry for my kids and their kids, the kind of world they will have to survive in.

Hope the world leaders, and particularly the US, finally take this seriously.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
People are being so dramatic. Obviously things are bleak but fire is not gonna rain from the sky on January 1st 2030. Plenty of time to organize large scale action to minimize to the damages and reverse consumption trends. Giving up now is what the people currently trying to loot parts of civilization are counting on.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I wasn't planning on finishing this six pack tonight, however, after further review. Let's get it.

Earth will be so glad when the Anthropocene age is over, it is definitely tired of our shit. I'll be apologizing to my future children and grandchildren, trying to explain how fucking dumb we are for the rest of my adult life.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How bad is a 1.5 degree change? Or a 5 degree change?

dunno about 1.5 degrees. In my own view the results of that kind of increase probably depends a lot on what technologies are created, as well as how the world decides to tackle it, it will almost certainly result in millions of deaths though, especially in poorer countries, as well as mass migration unlike anything in human history. 5 degrees would mean an end to any sort of life you're used to

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the point where everyone in the world knows we are in the final legs of the earth, all of the governments should agree to put a ban on having children. Just let mankind die out at that point. Who would want to bring people into this shit anyway?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Politics is literally the struggle between differing stakes and if your political analysis does not talk about stakes at all then you might want to re-evaluate

All of the people I listed are interested in power and then those things which keep them in power no matter what those things are. May's is incompetent and corrupt power sharing, Putin's is pure kleptocracy with a soupcon of ego and nostalgia, Trump's is energizing racially motivated division. None of them cares about any event that exceeds their own lifespan.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This article really bummed me out. Millions are going to die and I have no confidence we can keep it even to that.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Problem is this is still just a minor news story. Watching the news right now and this was just a blip on the radar. No one on either side of politics takes this seriously enough. History will not look too fondly on this era of humanity who have essentially destroyed the world.

Were in a ship that spotted an ice block right in our path 1000s of km's before impact but were waiting until it actually hits the ship before really doing anything about it. By that point it's too late.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
All of the people I listed are interested in power and then those things which keep them in power no matter what those things are. May's is incompetent and corrupt power sharing, Putin's is pure kleptocracy with a soupcon of ego and nostalgia, Trump's is energizing racially motivated division. None of them cares about any event that exceeds their own lifespan.
Certainly Trump hopes his hot daughter Ivanka's makeup can survive the rigors of global warming. His clean coal initiatives will at least account for her complexion.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks mankind has been around so long, has endured so much to get where we are. And I have to live in the generation that kills the f'ing planet. And people like Trump are in charge and acting like there is no such thing and this is all bullshit. It's nearly endgame for all life on earth and people are doing shit.

May 21, 2018
I know Republicans think it's fake news and "screw you, got mine". Do they not care for the future of their grandkids and their own future generations ?

Unlike the rank and file voters, I have no doubt that Republican leaders know full well all the gritty details of climate change. They truly just don't care, or at best just expect their kids to use their brains to figure something out (and abandon their own responsibility, of course).

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
At 1.5 it'll just be millions of deaths
At 5c society as we know won't be able to exist
Combine the 1.5 with other factors like pollution, overfishing etc. and there is a real change that marine ecosystems are going to collapse in the near future. At that point it's pretty much game over for the world as we know it. Billions will die and animal species will go extinct at a record speed.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
100% chance we're fucked. The people that are in positions of power to make a difference have enough cash squirreled away that they'll be fine or they'll be dead before anything bad happens.