• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Chances are people here are eating at mcdonalds, drinking coka-cola and driving around in a gas guzzling car using a lot of electric power on all the gadgets in their home that maybe comes from a coal power plant.
Chances are that even if tomorow all the ERA user decided to stop eating meat, not have children, and live in the wood with solar power, the positive results would be so negligibly small it wouldn't even matter.

Some changes are pretty much useless when only done in an incredibly small scale.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We should push towards that goal regardless, but it feels like Iv heard this a few times already back in the past to the point that we should be dead by now if we took their words to a tee.

What report indicated that by 2018 the earth would be inhabitable? Please link it or quit with misrepresenting. We get enough of it from media as it is.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Geoengineering is our best hope. We need to engineer plants and trees that can more efficiently capture CO2 and we also need to find a way to industrialize decentralized carbon capture.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Chances are that even if tomorow all the ERA user decided to stop eating meat, not have children, and live in the wood with solar power, the positive results would be so negligibly small it wouldn't even matter.

Some changes are pretty much useless when only done in an incredibly small scale.

And thus nothing ever changes. What I do doesn't matter cause X does more.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

The planet will be fine. Humanity is fucked.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
People are being so dramatic. Obviously things are bleak but fire is not gonna rain from the sky on January 1st 2030. Plenty of time to organize large scale action to minimize to the damages and reverse consumption trends. Giving up now is what the people currently trying to loot parts of civilization are counting on.

we're not giving up now, we gave up decades ago. there is no reason to be optimistic at all, in my view.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
User Banned (3 days): Inappropriate commentary.
I believe we are past the point of no return anyway.

They just aren't telling anyone and why even, the world would go crazy.

And the population control folk: lead by example, kill yourself.

The world with be fine. Humanity will probably also survive, but we will have more inhabitable areas. The rich will build fortresses and we will find ourselves in some Huger Games scenario.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is how the world dies. At least how we know it and global civilization will collapse with it. Humanity as a global society will be gone before the turn of the next century.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we're not giving up now, we gave up decades ago. there is no reason to be optimistic at all, in my view.
I agree. From the first article it says "if we stopped ALL emissions today we would hit 1.5C+" which is not really possible. This includes a total phaseout of Coal. We're moving into more of a "palliative care" approach imo, where we can try and address some of the symptoms, but the overall diagnosis is not looking good.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe we are past the point of no return anyway.

They just aren't telling anyone and why even, the world would go crazy.

And the population control folk: lead by example, kill yourself.

The world with be fine. Humanity will probably also survive, but we will have more inhabitable areas. The rich will build fortresses and we will find ourselves in some Huger Games scenario.
I mean don't think it's too late. The problem is I don't think the world will change enough in order to stop it.

witchedwiz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to know we're doomed ahead of time.

Humanity had a bad run.
Truth be told we had a good run..
Consider that our oldest civilization dates to around 4000bc with Sumerians..
And the biggest environmental damage has been introduced in the last 90-100 years, I reckon we had a short run if we consider median spices age in old times, but we had spectacular achievement as a species when we compare ourselves to dinosaur of any epoch..
We thrived, developed and ultimately it might be our insatiable thirst for pushing forward and always scaling higher and higher that will be the source of our demise..
Could we have done better? Of course..
But consider what we managed to do in 6000 years..
We formulated mathematics and physics and chemistry and other science to give reasons or reasonable speculative reasons to why not only the world around us, but the entire universe worked..
We are slow ass mammals, and yet we invented tools in their own league that allows us to traverse the world (or the space, although at an high price)...
We have splendid minds but we invented means to enlarge our capabilities (computer calculators)..
When most people think about internet they don't understand how much of a monumental thing it is infrastructure wise..
Sure we had quite some (a lot) of blunders , but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that we amounted to little or that we created nothing of value..
Apart from science and technology we created art, we created things of beauty via paintings and architecture and books..
We crafted worlds with our words, we crafted them based on existing situation and some instead we created out of thin air..
I'm an upologetic lover of humanity.. we have our faults, we have wronged each other throughout the history both one race to another and one human to another and we still continue doing so, but I seriously cannot understand the amount of self loathing that is infecting people nowdays...

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Let's talk results as long as the clock is ticking. What should we do right now that can make the biggest impact?

Be a lot more selective in our spending habits. Consciously choose products that are made locally and as eco friendly that is possible would be a start. Also see where you can cut using electronics to save energy and get solar panels.

Only use the car when strictly needed. Bike or walk or take public transport otherwise.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
You'r free to bring 2 buckets with you on the Titanic if it make youf feel good about yourself, I'll try to get a someone who won't steer the ship into an iceberg.

And who pray tell would that be? The people with all the cards are steering this ship and they don't care as long as their bank accounts continue to grow. They'll be dead before the shit hits the fan anyhow.

What one can do is not give money to the worst offenders and hit them where it hurts. In the wallet.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

We didnt take full action to stop this trend 40 years ago, that doesn't mean that no progress has been made or no knowledge gained. This is a very hard edged thing to say but people die all the time, making it millions and not billions is a worthwhile endeavor. The idea that we shouldn't try and organize towards more drastic action if that can slow and limit areas rendered uninhabitable is what's really filling me with dread.

Somehow we didnt nuke ourselves into oblivion, sometimes we surprise ourselves. At the very least people owe it to the next generation to go down fighting.

Oct 26, 2017
Be a lot more selective in our spending habits. Consciously choose products that are made locally and as eco friendly that is possible would be a start. Also see where you can cut using electronics to save energy and get solar panels.

Only use the car when strictly needed. Bike or walk or take public transport otherwise.

As someone who works in five different locations and up until very recently didn't own a car (and the one I own now is the smallest, most gas efficient I could afford) I don't think that's even remotely enough.

I live in a tiny apartment by western standards (~200 square feet), don't own a TV or high end PC or console (I use the same laptop for the last 8 years), make an effort to conserve electricity and water (unplug electronics and other nonessential devices when I'm away, take quick showers and no baths), buy local fruits vegetables and produce, avoid throwing away what I can reuse, recycle the waste that I can and generally lead a frugal lifestyle.

It's not even remotely enough.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I read these, it just reminds me that I need to get out of Florida. Thinking somewhere around the great lakes might be a good place to move to in 20-30 years.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
We'll probably eventually get a story arc where The Punisher sets his sights on greedy climate change deniers, so there's that at least.

Oct 27, 2017
People in developing nations are going to suffer and die for no good reason and the people most responsible will be the ones most insulated from any kind of consequence.

and I feel like that's being optimistic, if anything.
This is the main takeaway for me. Developed countries have the resources to adapt, people will move away from the coasts (to the new coasts eventually) and southern agricultural areas will move North as the South bakes.

Developing nations are really fucked though. They need cheap (dirty) energy to advance their economies, it's a Catch 22.

Unfortunately the developed nations have the power.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
large scale social movements to produce responsible consumption habits would do a lot to fix this problem. You don't even have to become an off the grid vegan or some other type of hermit.
Just eat less beef, or give up eating it at all. Use electronics a less. Make sure to not drive places you can walk without trouble, or take public transport.

Halo 2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Middle of Nowhere
large scale social movements to produce responsible consumption habits would do a lot to fix this problem. You don't even have to become an off the grid vegan or some other type of hermit.
Just eat less beef, or give up eating it at all. Use electronics a less. Make sure to not drive places you can walk without trouble, or take public transport.
Or catch your own meat

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

ERA can have some impact on games by hyping the next bloodborne, DMC or Rocket League. It is proably harder for other genres, but I believe the same goes for lifestyle as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Truth be told we had a good run..
Consider that our oldest civilization dates to around 4000bc with Sumerians..
And the biggest environmental damage has been introduced in the last 90-100 years, I reckon we had a short run if we consider median spices age in old times, but we had spectacular achievement as a species when we compare ourselves to dinosaur of any epoch..
We thrived, developed and ultimately it might be our insatiable thirst for pushing forward and always scaling higher and higher that will be the source of our demise..
Could we have done better? Of course..
But consider what we managed to do in 6000 years..
We formulated mathematics and physics and chemistry and other science to give reasons or reasonable speculative reasons to why not only the world around us, but the entire universe worked..
We are slow ass mammals, and yet we invented tools in their own league that allows us to traverse the world (or the space, although at an high price)...
We have splendid minds but we invented means to enlarge our capabilities (computer calculators)..
When most people think about internet they don't understand how much of a monumental thing it is infrastructure wise..
Sure we had quite some (a lot) of blunders , but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that we amounted to little or that we created nothing of value..
Apart from science and technology we created art, we created things of beauty via paintings and architecture and books..
We crafted worlds with our words, we crafted them based on existing situation and some instead we created out of thin air..
I'm an upologetic lover of humanity.. we have our faults, we have wronged each other throughout the history both one race to another and one human to another and we still continue doing so, but I seriously cannot understand the amount of self loathing that is infecting people nowdays...
I believe a lot of the anger comes from realizing that it only takes a couple decades of making a few critical mistakes to bring down all we've worked to build over millennia.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe runaway global warming is the great filter?

On a planet more rich with carbon dioxide from the start, life may have evolved to dislike the gas (like we evolved to dislike methane), and if they're carbon based they would be more repelled by the concept.

I've said in a different thread, but life forms really don't alter behavior based on changes in their environment, instead the survivors are those that already had some fluke gene trait and can withstand the change.

Likely there will still be humans around on Earth in 200 years no matter what happens. They'll be humans that can keep physically cool. Hopefully they can retain most of collected human knowledge.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The goal of most conservative parties is genocidal in nature, they're hoping for something like this to cull the poor undesirables from the human population.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Went from 80 years in the future to just 20.

Was wondering when this was going to happen, as to anyone paying attention knew the warnings were way too conservative (nations dont want to hear it anyways).

400ppm and climing. The worlds bread baskets will be proto deserts in 20 uears under 130 deg F summer heats.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
We didnt take full action to stop this trend 40 years ago, that doesn't mean that no progress has been made or no knowledge gained. This is a very hard edged thing to say but people die all the time, making it millions and not billions is a worthwhile endeavor. The idea that we shouldn't try and organize towards more drastic action if that can slow and limit areas rendered uninhabitable is what's really filling me with dread.

Somehow we didnt nuke ourselves into oblivion, sometimes we surprise ourselves. At the very least people owe it to the next generation to go down fighting.

i didn't say that we shouldn't even try, i just expressed that i am not hopeful. it would feel like i was deluding myself.. i feel the way i feel, can't help it. been watching/reading the news for over 20 years now and my conclusion so far is that the majority of people are not pro-active and do not really give a single fuck until it directly affects them and its too late.. maybe my conclusion is wrong, and i hope to be proven wrong, i'm open to that.

all that said, i personally won't have a child and have never owned a car, and i try to consume somewhat sensibly and never throw away food. i would also never work for a major polluter, rather be jobless. i should limit my meat eating a lot more though :/ so i'm trying to help a little bit, even though i feel its hopeless. it's possible for both things to be true, you can try to do the right thing even if it feels pointless.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went from 80 years in the future to just 20.

Was wondering when this was going to happen, as to anyone paying attention knew the warnings were way too conservative (nations dont want to hear it anyways).

400ppm and climing. The worlds bread baskets will be proto deserts in 20 uears under 130 deg F summer heats.

No, we didn't. 2100 is just the target for where we want to be at global temp wise (although 2050 is the real temp target to aim for in terms of stabilization), the action needed to get to that target has always been 2030/2040/2050

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The goal of most conservative parties is genocidal in nature, they're hoping for something like this to cull the poor undesirables from the human population.

I expect conservatives (especially in the US) will be openly pushing this as a solution to the problems of climate change in the not too distant future.

Their rhetoric with regards to black and brown people is only going to get worse and more dehumanizing.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
On a planet more rich with carbon dioxide from the start, life may have evolved to dislike the gas (like we evolved to dislike methane), and if they're carbon based they would be more repelled by the concept.

I've said in a different thread, but life forms really don't alter behavior based on changes in their environment, instead the survivors are those that already had some fluke gene trait and can withstand the change.

Likely there will still be humans around on Earth in 200 years no matter what happens. They'll be humans that can keep physically cool. Hopefully they can retain most of collected human knowledge.

This really isn't true.

Organisms will absolutely adapt to their environment. If an area has no food, most animals will search for an area with food.

Behaviors adapt, change and are passed down due to environmental pressures.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that we were 100's of years away and I think a lot of other people were as well. That's why it was easy to dismiss and say that by the time it's an actual issue we'd be dead anyway.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
And still there are idiots in my country (even in the government!) that think more Co2 = more plant food = green deserts! No problems detected!

witchedwiz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe a lot of the anger comes from realizing that it only takes a couple decades of making a few critical mistakes to bring down all we've worked to build over millennia.
which if you notice i didn't deny by any measure :)
but actually it's more in the last century..
we went rampant without regulation unaware of any sideffect of what we did, and by the time we realized the dependency was too much interwoven in the daily mechanism of our life..
as other have said, we can forego own car at large, but then what? china and india are running rampant on the usage of coal-driven energy..
this is china..
ChinaSmogEnvelopesBuildings.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

this is delhi..
800x-1.jpg

if this was happening in any major cities of the western world (be it US or EU) there would be a major outcry...
heck, italy has "banned" any euro3 or lower car in lumbardy (major work hub) save a few VERY specific conditions.. basically cutting out from daily usage around 421.000 cars with this last move.. similar operation were carried out in other northern italy regions (unhironically, the environmental problems in terms of air quality seems to be mainly restricted to northern regionswhereas only few souther italy cities are affected)..
instead it happened in delhi.. do you know what's their OWN index value for air pollution in delhi? 200..
and guess their scale values..
151-200 Unhealthy Everyone may begin to experience health effects; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects
201-300 Very Unhealthy Health warnings of emergency conditions. The entire population is more likely to be affected.
find here a real time situation: https://waqi.info/
this is a nice pic of the situation..
[IMG]https://thumb.ibb.co/ieBC9U/world_pollution.png[/IMG]

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Let's not get sensational now. It's bad but we're not facing instant extinction.

What we're facing is arguably worse: a prolonged drawn out series of catastrophes that will chip away at global hegemony until only the most elite will have a chance at a bearable existence. There will be famine, war and death at an increasingly alarming rate until it becomes the baseline reality for the majority of human beings on Earth, though maybe not in the United States. It's the difference between putting your dog to sleep and letting him slowly rot from within.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I think relying on China/India to impose restrictive energy policies is a tall order because their income per capita is far less than Europe and US but so is their emissions per capita. They're trying but it won't be enough. In the face of this other countries need to pick up the slack not only by heavily switching to renewables despite the economic cost but also launching government campaigns to encourage a change of diet (though I doubt this last point would be very popular as it's reviled on this board as well).