• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The gunman who killed five people, including a prominent doctor in South Carolina, was former NFL player Phillip Adams, who killed himself early Thursday, according to a source who was briefed on the investigation. The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly, said Adams' parents live near the doctor's home in Rock Hill, and that he had been treated by the doctor. The source said Adams killed himself after midnight with a .45-caliber weapon. He was 32.

As a rookie late in the 2010 season, Adams suffered a severe ankle injury that required surgery that included several screws being inserted into the leg. He never played for the 49ers again, getting released just before the 2011 season began and signing with New England. He moved next to the Raiders, where he had 2 concussions in a 3-game period in 2012.

Whether Adams suffered long-lasting injuries from his concussions as a player wasn't immediately clear. Adams would not have been eligible for testing as part of a broad settlement between the league and its former players over such injuries, because he hadn't retired by 2014.

Adams' father told a Charlotte television station that he blamed football for problems that may have led his son to commit Wednesday's violence. "I can say he's a good kid, he was a good kid, and I think the football messed him up," Alonzo Adams told WCNC-TV. "He didn't talk much and he didn't bother nobody.''

Dr. Robert Lesslie, 70, and his wife, Barbara Lesslie, 69, were pronounced dead at the scene, along with grandchildren Adah Lesslie, 9, and Noah Lesslie, 5, the York County coroner's office said.

www.espn.com

Ex-NFL player Adams kills 5 in SC, then himself

The gunman who killed five people, including a prominent doctor, in South Carolina was former NFL player Phillip Adams, who killed himself early Thursday, authorities said.

Horrifying situation. Someone lost their parents and their children at the same time. I can't even imagine the trauma.

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Condolences to the victims

CTE continues to destroy lives

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Awful and it seems like the doctor was trying to help him with some of his issues likely stemming from football and CTE.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy, such a terrible tragedy. Isn't this the second former NFL player this week who has been accused of murder?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The NFL really needs to do a better job helping retired players transition to civilian life. But when you have people like Trump screaming about how they should get rid of safety rules put in place because it's "hurting the game" and "they want to hit", then it's only going to get worse.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
"No way of knowing if all the repeated and severe head trauma contributed to the tragedy."

fucking. Wild.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rest in peace to the victims. I feel so bad for that mother. All because we celebrate a sport that encourages head injuries... Times like now I hate myself for liking football.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
CTE continues to destroy lives
While that's a possibility I don't think we can definitely say this was caused by it since he couldn't do testing.

That could be the case, or he could have just had a screw loose and snapped, maybe he saw no future for himself without football and blames the Dr for not fixing him or something. 🤷‍♂️
Hard to predict or follow the logic of a crazy person though.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
What a tragedy.

Unfortunately this is only going to make getting help for other former NFL players harder. If they start targeting the doctors who are trying to help them, you aren't going to get a lot of doctors signing up for that job in the future.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He murdered the grandchildren as well? The doctor and his wife were terrible but why the kids? Fuck I'm feeling shitty just reading this.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
While that's a possibility I don't think we can definitely say this was caused by it since he couldn't do testing.

That could be the case, or he could have just had a screw loose and snapped, maybe he saw no future for himself without football and blames the Dr for not fixing him or something. 🤷‍♂️
We have enough data points now that CTE is ALWAYS in the mix for potential causes when a former NFL player does something violent.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Horrible horrible horrible.
This is just so fucking sad

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
We have enough data points now that CTE is ALWAYS in the mix for potential causes when a former NFL player does something violent.
I think plenty of them have the capability for violence even without factoring in CTE, though...

I played football (not professionally lol), I know the type of dudes that it attracts.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

It's not really hard to predict when almost every instance of "former NFL player goes crazy and commits homicide/suicide" ends up being tied to CTE

And him blaming the doctor or not is irrelevant to that because the difference in someone whose brain is fucked from trauma and someone else is that the doctor being blamed by a normal person wouldn't lead to a homicide.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, haven't they done studies where 99% of NFL brains had CTE? about as close to 1:1 as you can get

obviously "definitely" is doing the heavy lifting in your post but it's pretty fucking likely and coming to that conclusion can only be seen as rational, definitive or not

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
There's being violent, and then there's this.

Killing children is above and beyond.
CTE breaks the brain on a whole different level. Chris Benoit's brain was so broken that it resembled an 85-year-old brain with Alzheimer's.

The NFL and other industries that contribute to CTE cases need to be held liable for assisting individuals during and post tenure with the associations. It is evil industries are trying to just sweep this away.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
"he is a good kid". You can fuck right off buddy. he just killed two children.

This. Say what you will about Chris Benoit, incredible body of work, one of the best wrestlers ever, none of that excuses how he went out. Paul Heyman hit the nail on the head, CTE or not, he had a choice, his wife and son didn't. Same situation here.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
CTE breaks the brain on a whole different level. Chris Benoit's brain was so broken that it resembled an 85-year-old brain with Alzheimer's.

The NFL and other industries that contribute to CTE cases need to be held liable for assisting individuals during and post tenure with the associations. It is evil industries are trying to just sweep this away.
I know, I agree. I think it's impossible that CTE wasn't involved here in some shape or form.

It takes a truly twisted and broken mind to kill children like this, and CTE is known to do exactly that.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love the CTE assumptions. Did he have concussions?
Apparently two concussions. Don't know enough about this to know whether that's enough to cause CTE

Adams reportedly suffered a severe left ankle injury during the second-to-last game of the 49ers 2010 season and two concussions over the course of three games in the 2012 season with the Raiders.

www.wsoctv.com

Who is Phillip Adams, former NFL player accused of South Carolina mass shooting?

The gunman who killed five people, including a prominent doctor, in South Carolina was former NFL player Phillip Adams, authorities said.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Love the CTE assumptions. Did he have concussions?

You love a very safe assumption based on his history of concussions outlined in the OP that you didn't read?

Also, CTE is the result of repeated blows to the head, not concussions (though that certainly contributes to it). Factor in his college and high school career, it's a safe bet.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I mean, haven't they done studies where 99% of NFL brains had CTE? about as close to 1:1 as you can get
Not saying that he didn't have it, just saying he may likely also have snapped without it.

I don't think it's ok to just use it as a blanket cause though, and blame all NFL player violence on it. They still need to be held personally responsible, not use CTE as a scapegoat.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Sickening.

This is giving me flashbacks to what happened with Chris Benoit.

We need to change these sports and protect the athletes brains. CTE is so widespread.