• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Its impossible to prevent it in football. You'd have to essentially remove all physical contact from the sport.
Prevent it 100%? Yes. But they could do things to help mitigate the likelihood of it like mandating safer helmets (which they have but don't force players to wear), actually punish shots to the head (like in college where they can be ejected) and actually calling penalties when offensive players lead with the crown. These are all things they have at their disposal, but refuse to enforce for whatever reason. Not perfect, but at least it helps.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What am I not reading? He's a scum

The man murdered people and people are using CTE as a reason to justify his actions.

Well, people are addressing potential causes of a person snapping. That cause being brain damage from football. I don't think anybody is justifying a mass murderer or absolving him, man.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Sickening. Killing a doctor is already terrible. Killing his wife and grandkids too is just evil.

Adams' father told a Charlotte television station that he blamed football for problems that may have led his son to commit Wednesday's violence. "I can say he's a good kid, he was a good kid, and I think the football messed him up," Alonzo Adams told WCNC-TV. "He didn't talk much and he didn't bother nobody.''

I get that this guy is in shock, but no. You can't call a quadruple murderer a "good kid" who "didn't bother anyone." Like it just isn't true.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Prevent it 100%? Yes. But they could do things to help mitigate the likelihood of it like mandating safer helmets (which they have but don't force players to wear), actually punish shots to the head (like in college where they can be ejected) and actually calling penalties when offensive players lead with the crown. These are all things they have at their disposal, but refuse to enforce for whatever reason. Not perfect, but at least it helps.

The thing is, a lot of those things are not the most likely contributor to CTE. "Safe" tackles are also very dangerous. Every time the Offensive and Defensive lines line up and smash into each other, on every play, is also dangerous. In many ways, the subconcussyve hits are more dangerous than guys just being laid out with concussions because they stay in the game and continue to take them. Its the same issue with boxing. Going 12 rounds and getting continually punched in the head is more dangerous long term than getting brutally knocked out cold. It doesn't even have to be direct blows to the head. The whiplash effect from two giant men crashing into each other can also lead to CTE. Its simply an inherently dangerous activity for the human brain and body.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus man.

NFLPA and the players themselves needs to be stopped getting pushed around and demand things like lifetime healthcare.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still, not clear that it was CTE.
its pretty hard to believe it didn't play a part

According to 2017 study on brains of deceased gridiron football players, 99% of tested brains of NFL players, 88% of CFL players, 64% of semi-professional players, 91% of college football players, and 21% of high school football players had various stages of CTE.

www.bu.edu

BU Researchers Find CTE in 99% of Former NFL Players Studied

BU researchers find Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease involving tau protein, in 99% of former NFL players studied.

Repeated sub-concussion blows to the head definitely contribute to CTE. But we'll never know in this case because he wasn't tested and probably shot himself in the head.

We can't test people that are alive yet

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Two documented* concussions.

People still know so little and understand so little of how concussions and brain trauma in general really works.

Any impact, anything that causes that *white flash* - if you've played an impact sport you know what I'm talking about - is your brain getting rattled inside your skull.

Doesn't excuse his actions. It does however put the onus on NFL to take better care of their alumni.

respectfully, someone's that's suffered many undocumented concussions.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Man, I really feel bad for the family of the victims. Losing both parents and children in one fell swoop like that. I hope the parents of those kids don't feel guilty forever, but unfortunately they probably will.

I don't know what kind of fucking monster can kill children honestly, any serious crime involving children is instantly the worst

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What am I not reading? He's a scum

The man murdered people and people are using CTE as a reason to justify his actions.
Are you even reading the posts in this thread? No one is justifying anything.

Understanding the possible cause of the tragedy and the context behind it is not the same as justifying it. Your foot has been in your mouth since you got into this thread and demonstrated that you didn't understand how CTE works. You should probably take a step back because now you are just throwing around wild accusations about things literally no one brought up.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
The thing is, a lot of those things are not the most likely contributor to CTE. "Safe" tackles are also very dangerous. Every time the Offensive and Defensive lines line up and smash into each other, on every play, is also dangerous. In many ways, the subconcussyve hits are more dangerous than guys just being laid out with concussions because they stay in the game and continue to take them. Its the same issue with boxing. Going 12 rounds and getting continually punched in the head is more dangerous long term than getting brutally knocked out cold. It doesn't even have to be direct blows to the head. The whiplash effect from two giant men crashing into each other can also lead to CTE. Its simply an inherently dangerous activity for the human brain and body.
I mean the obvious answer is to end the sport, as well as hockey, soccer, MMA, boxing and every other contact sport, yet we know that isn't going to happen. So, it would seem to make a bit of sense for the NFL to actually implement some kind of safety procedures even if they aren't a main contributor would it not?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
My mind went to CTE when it happened but that's just an assumption, he wouldn't be the first former NFL player to be a piece of shit. Was bad but when I saw he killed 2 children as well that just hurt. Don't care about how he was a good kid, I'm sure most parents would say that even if that wasn't the truth at all. Feel sorry for the family and friends.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
"he is a good kid". You can fuck right off buddy. he just killed two children.

This.

CTE played a part and the NFL 100% needs to be responsible for their players health care even after they are out of the league. They have the money easily. But he still pulled the trigger. The good kid stuff is just bullshit.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the obvious answer is to end the sport, as well as hockey, soccer, MMA, boxing and every other contact sport, yet we know that isn't going to happen. So, it would seem to make a bit of sense for the NFL to actually implement some kind of safety procedures even if they aren't a main contributor would it not?

For optics? Sure. They've already done that with the way they've penalized certain hits that they used to highlight, or with how they remove players from the games after concussions, but honestly that does not remove the threat of CTE.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not saying that he didn't have it, just saying he may likely also have snapped without it.

I don't think it's ok to just use it as a blanket cause though, and blame all NFL player violence on it. They still need to be held personally responsible, not use CTE as a scapegoat.

It takes a broken mind to kill children dude. So it's not an excuse. It's not a scapegoat. If it were my kids fuck him forever but also fuck the NFL for assisting with this culture of bravado and "toughness" that convinces players it can't happen to them and that getting help is some form of weakness. All so they can make more money off peoples bodies. Shit they NOT my kids and I'm still like fuck him forever.

So I get what you're saying cause yea dude killed a bunch of people including babies. It's just that type of brain injury fucks with ones ability to regulate emotions and impulse control. We can't deal with that if we don't face facts. And I'd like to prevent this from happening by facing the factors that can impact its cause.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think tackle HS football needs to be banned. There needs to be some other type of pathway to the NFL. Because so few kids are going to make it but suffer silent damage

On the other hand, probably the NFL just shouldn't exist. The sport (including rugby in it) along with pretty much all combat sports are just inherently going to fuck you up, including your brain. (If I recall correctly there still isn't any proof helmets actually do anything profound, especially with CTE) if we truly cared about peoples health. But we should realize that like gladiators they're sacrificing their body and minds for our entertainment.

I think most people would generally still be okay since it more "silent" and "long term" and not "universal" to actually killing people.

I love football and will still watch but I really really hate and think UFC and Boxing should be banned. They're likeral blood sports. there's no way to make them safer, you literally see the swelling and blood and their incoherence after a match.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is so crazy to me. Def want to know if he had CTE as well. Esp killing kids its that level of deterioration there.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Contact sports aren't necessarily violent. Fencing is a contact sport and it's one of the safest sports there is.
Maybe they meant to say combat as in boxing, mma, Muay Thai. and its not all combat sports but the ones where there's strikes to the head. Wrestling (olympic/HS/College kind), Sumo, Judo (I don't think you can strike the head) all seem fine

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so crazy to me. Def want to know if he had CTE as well. Esp killing kids its that level of deterioration there.
its not even the first murder suicide in the NFL

edit: copied the wrong chefs players name after looking up the guy who killed his GF and himself. Multiple tabs with out double checking can get you

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true at all. No one knows for sure how many former players have CTE, but a number of experts put it in the 10% - 40% range.
That's not what research indicates.

A new study suggests that chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a progressive, degenerative brain disease found in people with a history of repeated head trauma, may be more common among football players than previously thought. The study, published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), found CTE in 99 percent of brains obtained from National Football League (NFL) players, as well at 91 percent of college football players and 21 percent of high school football players.

Of the 202 brains studied, the group diagnosed 177 with CTE, including 110 of 111 from the NFL players (99 percent); 7 of 8 from the Canadian Football League (88 percent); 9 of 14 semi-professional players (64 percent); 48 of 53 college players (91 percent), and 3 of 14 high school players (21 percent). (The group also studied the brains of two pre-high-school players, neither of whom was diagnosed with CTE.) The brains of former high school players showed only mild pathology, while the majority of college, semi-professional, and professional players showed severe pathology.

www.bu.edu

BU researchers find Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease involving tau protein, in 99% of former NFL players studied.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Contact sports aren't necessarily violent. Fencing is a contact sport and it's one of the safest sports there is.

True, but this is what is what I was getting at with my comment:

Maybe they meant to say combat as in boxing, mma, Muay Thai. and its not all combat sports but the ones where there's strikes to the head. Wrestling (olympic/HS/College kind), Sumo, Judo (I don't think you can strike the head) all seem fine

Yeah. Taking out impacts to the head would be a huge factor for everybody involved. But like others have said, I'm not expecting the NFL to change anything. Business as usual.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I really think tackle HS football needs to be banned. There needs to be some other type of pathway to the NFL. Because so few kids are going to make it

On the otherhand, the NFL just shouldn't exist. The sport (including rugby in it) along with pretty much all combat sports if we truely cared about peoples health. But we should realize that like gladiators they're sacrificing their body and minds for our entertainment.

I think most people would generally still be okay since it more "silent" and "long term" and not "universal" to actually killing people.

I love football and will still watch but I really really hate and think UFC and Boxing should be banned. They're likeral blood sports. there's no way to make them safer, you literally see the swelling and blood and their incoherence after a match.
And like gladiators in Ancient Rome, there is a extensive and systemically rooted network built into society to ensure people continue to engage in the activity.

In America's case it wasn't nefarious at the beginning, but it's perpetuation certainly is now.

People like to rest on "well, they are choosing to do this" when that's sort of like saying someone chose to pick up those cigarettes or alcohol, chose to work in the coal mine or dangerous chemical plant in their town. Chose to be a drug dealer. Society has a moral responsibility with regards to how it organizes itself and what incentives it allows to emerge and dominate. Like drugs, America is ultimately the one perpetuating the cycle and incentivizing this toxic sport. To truly make a permanent change will require a major shift in people's consumption habits or system-level interventions.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't true at all. No one knows for sure how many former players have CTE, but a number of experts put it in the 10% - 40% range.
cool source like the post above me and I posted. of the brains they studied 99% had a form. and even then. getting around 1/4 of a league with the most players on a team. that's not fucking good

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. That's awful. Curious to know if CTE played a factor.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
its pretty hard to believe it didn't play a part

www.bu.edu

We can't test people that are alive yet
Those numbers go against the idea that CTE played a major part. If 99% of all NFL players have CTE, then that means CTE likely isn't a big factor, because we aren't seeing these type of acts from 99% of all NFL players.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
www.bu.edu

I've seen the argument that there could be bias in brain bank donations, but it's the only study we have, we also don't see that issue with High Schoolers. Also any expert estimation would probably say as well to take it with a grain of salt, or that it might be getting higher due to game changes.

I'd also say that, we assume the bias is true, if 99% of NFL players with perceived mental issues had CTE, than it's still the same likeliness since this guy clearly had mental issues to do this. So it still seems correct to assume he had CTE

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what research indicates.

www.bu.edu

another thing to keep in mind is that probably a majority of players who can make it all the way to the NFL have probably been exposing their brains to trauma since the time they are like 10 years old or whatever the age cut off is for Pee Wee football.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And like gladiators in Ancient Rome, there is a extensive and systemically rooted network built into society to ensure people continue to engage in the activity.

In America's case it wasn't nefarious at the beginning, but it's perpetuation certainly is now.

People like to rest on "well, they are choosing to do this" when that's sort of like saying someone chose to pick up those cigarettes or alcohol, chose to work in the coal mine or dangerous chemical plant in their town. Chose to be a drug dealer. Society has a moral responsibility with regards to how it organizes itself and what incentives it allows to emerge and dominate. Like drugs, America is ultimately the one perpetuating the cycle and incentivizing this toxic sport. To truly make a permanent change will require a major shift in people's consumption habits or system-level interventions.
Well obviously with America and the NFL. But combat sports and things like rugby and hockey (this is less so) are big across the world. Its a human thing not just American.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
True, but this is what is what I was getting at with my comment:

Yeah. Taking out impacts to the head would be a huge factor for everybody involved. But like others have said, I'm not expecting the NFL to change anything. Business as usual.

That's fair, I'm in full agreement...including the part where I don't expect them to change anything. But I really wish they would.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those numbers go against the idea that CTE played a major part. If 99% of all NFL players have CTE, then that means CTE likely isn't a big factor, because we aren't seeing these type of acts from 99% of all NFL players.
Ugh that's not what it says. People with dementia and cognitive impairments don't all kill people. But it increases aggressiveness, and has hidden costs that aren't visible.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Most people who have depression don't commit suicide, so using this logic, depression has no link to people committing suicide?

Or we can say that most people who drive drunk don't crash and kill others or themselves, so driving drunk is not linked to crashes that result in deaths?

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair, I'm in full agreement...including the part where I don't expect them to change anything. But I really wish they would.
I think their going to eventually fold on healthcare. But the sport isn't changing. Not until americans leave (which younger gens might do. With things like eSports, rise of soccer, streaming there's less need for football in the future but this is like 2050 or so out)

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
By adding another game to the season

The NFL is so short-sighted with this change. It'll accelerate the time between first NFL snap and retired due to injury, which is currently one metric they've tried to argue paints them in a positive light ("the only brain damage comes from guys who played for decades").

How long before some young superstar goes on TV and ends up drooling or freaks out, due to brain damage? That'll be the death blow for the league. And they're actively making that happen sooner!

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
another thing to keep in mind is that probably a majority of players who can make it all the way to the NFL have probably been exposing their brains to trauma since the time they are like 10 years old or whatever the age cut off is for Pee Wee football.
Right, a linebacker in the NFL in just 10 years experiences roughly 15,000 subconcussive blows to the head. Multiply that by 3 or so for their total lifetime career.

www.nytimes.com

111 N.F.L. Brains. All But One Had C.T.E. (Published 2017)

A neuropathologist has examined the brains of 111 N.F.L. players — and 110 were found to have C.T.E., the degenerative disease linked to repeated blows to the head.