• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Today the website Thurrott.com has released two reports about the roadmap Microsoft has for Windows 10. The implications for new systems are very big and of course for PC gaming too, as the company apparently wants to make the Windows 10 S mode (which limits users to Microsoft Store apps only, blocking Win32 apps) default.

First, a report about the new Windows 10 versions and pricing. This is how Microsoft sells licensing to partners:

• Entry: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4GB RAM & ≤ 32GB SSD AND ≤ 14.1" screen size (NB), ≤ 11.6" (2in1, Tablet), ≥ 17" AiO
  • Value: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium ≤ 4GB RAM & ≤64GB SSD & ≤ 14.1" screen size (EM ≤ 4GB RAM & ≤64GB SSD or ≤ 500GB HDD)
  • Core: Cannot be used on devices that meet the Core+ and Advanced SKU Hardware Specifications
  • Core +: High end CPU and >4 GB RAM (All Form Factors) ≥8 GB RAM & ≥1080p screen resolution (NB, 2in1, AiO) >8 GB RAM & ≥2TB HDD or SSD storage (Desktop)
  • Advanced: Intel Core i9 (any configuration) OR Core i7 ≥ 6 Cores (any RAM) OR AMD Threadripper(any configuration) OR Intel Core i7 >16GB (any Cores) or AMD FX/ Ryzen7 >16GB (any Cores) OR ≥ 4K screen resolution (any processor, includes 4K UHD-3840 resolution
Pricing for the SKUs is as follows: Advanced ($101), Core + ($86.66), Core ($65.45), Value ($45), and Entry ($25). Also, Windows 10 S is dead, it's now Windows 10 S mode and the baseline SKU will be going away but each version will have an S mode.

Starting on April 2nd, these new SKUs and pricing will go into effect with the new pricing for Home Advanced going into effect on May 1st.

For device configuration in 2018, the company is pushing its partners to set Edge as the default browser, installing the LinkedIn UWP app, pre-install Office, and limiting app pinning to 1 legacy win 32 app on the desktop, 1 legacy app on the taskbar and for the Start menu, 25% Win32/75% Microsoft Store.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/151578/new-windows-10-consumer-sku-roadmap-revealed

Now about the Windows 10 S mode:

Going forward, Windows 10 S will no longer be a SKU offered by Microsoft. Instead, what they will be doing is offering S mode for all iterations of Windows 10 and frankly, this is a much better approach to the configurations.

For Home and Education SKUs, you will be able to upgrade from Home S, to Home for free but Pro users going from Pro S to Pro will be charged $49. On the commercial side, Pro S is only available with Core, Value, Entry, and Small Tablet with Core+ and Workstations being left out of the offering.

This type of an S-mode only Windows world has been speculated since last fall at Ignite when Microsoft announced an S-mode for frontline workers. Now, after viewing the internal roadmap for Redstone 4 and beyond, it's official that S-Mode for all SKUs of Windows 10 is the path forward.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/151582/exclusive-windows-10-s-dead-long-live-s-mode

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Until the Windows/Microsoft Store is no longer complete shit to use I don't see it being embraced even if Microsoft tries to force it down everyone's throat.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So every pre-built PC will have W10 S installed instead of W10?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this sounds pretty awful. I will never use their store for anything. I really want that Age of Empires remaster, but will never get it unless it hits steam.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft once again proving to be the most dangerous thing in the PC world.

Phil please tell us one more time how much you care about PC gaming!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone who actually cares about PC gaming could be in favor of this.

This was discussed in etc a while ago though, and some people were in favor of it. Wonder why.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
The store sucks to use, the selection is still lacking a ton of desirable apps, and Windows 10, not even the S, just the plain jane OS, still has some of the most hair pulling bugs I have dealt with. I'm not on board MS...

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, corporate apologists are proven wrong as Microsoft continues to do what it has always done.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Alexandros Tagging you since I'm sure you'll want in on this.

On topic: Who didn't see this coming? Microsoft wants it's walled garden SO BAD you guys, like you don't even know.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds terrible beyond belief. I don't use a single Windows S/Windows Store/UWP app, so I guess I would have an OS where I could run absolutely nothing, brilliant!

--R

Oct 25, 2017
No. Windows 10 S no longer exists, every version of Windows (Home, Pro) will have an S mode enabled by default, supposedly.

Yikes. This is awful if it's true. Everyone who wants to get W10 will just pirate it to get rid of the stupid limitations of S. I don't get why MS seems so anxious to push the MS Store. It's an awful storefront so far.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Thank god I am not doing MS customer service anymore. I was borderline rebellious with my attitude to preaching the product in customer support (starting with 8 and then 10), I would probably get fired now if I voice my thoughts to customers too often.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
But wait, if I already have a Pro license I won't have to pay the ridiculous 50$ fee right?

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You realise this article is based off the one the Op discusses right ?
He edited with more info, so...
Anw, strange move from Microsoft. They say 60% of the people using Windows 10 S excluing Surface accepted, but any other company already sell Windows 10 S besides Microsoft with Surface?
But wait, if I already have a Pro license I won't have to pay the ridiculous 50$ fee right?
Just new systems I guess.

Buffer

Oct 27, 2017
not good for gaming

Eventually, we (gamers) will have to pay a premium just like professionals and small businesses on software.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remember who people predicting that this was Microsoft's long game were dismissed as paranoid?

That's always the go to defense when people try to warn others. I was called the same thing when I called them out for their recent changes to gamepass.

MS NEVER changes, that's why it's so easy to predict what their long term plans are. They're insidious as hell and always have something brewing that is going to be generally awful for people in the long term.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
remember when people predicting that this was Microsoft's long game were dismissed as paranoid?

Exactly, everyone knew it this was going to happen.

But seriously, Microsoft should improve their store before enabling this because as of now it's really bad.

not good for gaming

Eventually, we (gamers) will have to pay a premium just like professionals and small businesses on software.

Outside the casuals who buy a pc just to browse on facebook, youtube and view their emails, most of the people will pay the 49$ fee for the real Windows 10.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people in this thread are thinking way to small. This isn't about gaming. This is about phasing out Win32. The reality is that gamers are way more likely to pay a bit extra for Win32 support. But the average person just using their computer for "normal" tasks can be pushed to accept UWP this way.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Outside the casuals who buy a pc just to browse on facebook, youtube and view their emails, most of the people will pay the 49$ fee for the real Windows 10.

You're underestimating the power of influence the default choice has. That option will exist for a while, until it doesn't.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Bullshit segregation for corporate greed.

I would rather install Linux and buy a console, considering the state of PC hardware, than fall into this.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a gaming forum, but most PC users would be better off only using the MS store. If you just need some common apps to get shit done it's safer then the rest of the net. Also you can set the default in Win 10 to only accept installs from the store. Pretty smart for 90% of users.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft once again proving to be the most dangerous thing in the PC world.

Phil please tell us one more time how much you care about PC gaming!

Phil is on the Xbox division. It doesn't have anything to do with the Windows division.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Can't wait to be told how no one should be panicking and instead try and embrace all these wonderful Xbox games on a non functional store that we should be grateful for having for some reason.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they want to make UWP happen so badly?

At least fix the store and make the experience of using them better before you try force a sub par ecosystem on people.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Apparently Tim Sweeney isn't the paranoid nut job that many said he was. As a former tech support rep during the Vista and Zune days, I do not envy anyone having to support consumers through this.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can gather, this is only going to affect Windows 10 Pro systems, I.E. businesses, education, and other entities buying PCs in bulk. Systems running in Home will be able to disable "S Mode" for free.

Now the question is, how long will that last.