• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
If this is something that's meant to be beefier and compete with the new consoles color me surprised. I figured Nintendo would just coast on the current Switch models for at least 2 years before releasing any new or updated hardware.
I seriously doubt Nintendo will come out with something that will compete with the new consoles (as in 9TF territory), since that will cause a split in the user base and I don't believe Nintendo want that.

It IS possible it will be beefier, but if so it will at best be more like PS4 Pro vs PS4, playing the same games basically but with better performance. And maybe it will have a competent 4K scaler for docked mode.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Come on Nintendo: Switch Pro! Make current docked power the portable mode and create a new more powerful docked profile.

Most of your games use variable resolution so they wouldn't really even need much in the way of patching!

Jan 11, 2018
Hmmmm, seems like this really may be happening. I've never bought a console revision before, don't think I'm going to start now.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Just when I thought I would only buy two consoles this year... I would be in for a Switch Pro depending on the jump in performance. 2020 really is going to be a crazy hype train for twelve months.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this is a thing, Do NOT expect it to be announced until a month before release and it's existence denied until the announcement.

proof: Gameboy SP, DS lite was literally denied by Nintendo just 6-7 days before they announced it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this will be "Switch Pro" at all, you think that all of these 3rd party games will release on this becahse better specs but they will just not quit these 50m+ Switches on the market right now. And if someone thinks they will release more powerful version to compete with next gen - There is i think really no point doing this, games will still need to run on original Switch and Lite, when next gen launches Switch can be $250 and Lite like $180 that's huge win for them since PS5/Xbox will be $500.
It's not about that though. It's just give another option to a player base that some will buy just like the Pro or Xbox One X. It isn't about competing with Sony and Microsoft. It's not about splitting the fanbase. It's to give part of the fanbase who wants something a little more powerful for their Switch games.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Damn man that's three consoles I'm going to have to fork over cash for this year.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
DigiTimes is pretty sketchy usually but I'm holding out hope because of Takashi's tweet and Toto's prediction.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'd buy a switch "pro", assuming they also revise the joy cons too. Far too many analog issues for my liking.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Have a launch time unit, and if they released a new Switch that did games in 4K i'd be there day one. With PS5 and Xbone series X on the horizon, this makes sense for Nintendo to release a Switch that further boosts its capabilities.
Actual 4k is impossible for a decently priced tablet. They could upscale to 4K which would improve IQ considerably regardless of actual resolution, and they could make it more powerful.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Day 1 for a Switch Pro and BotW 2.

I don't think this will be "Switch Pro" at all, you think that all of these 3rd party games will release on this becahse better specs but they will just not quit these 50m+ Switches on the market right now. And if someone thinks they will release more powerful version to compete with next gen - There is i think really no point doing this, games will still need to run on original Switch and Lite, when next gen launches Switch can be $250 and Lite like $180 that's huge win for them since PS5/Xbox will be $500.

Even the hacked standard switch is running games better. A true upgrade, even if it's only in resolution or fps, would be much appreciated. There's no need for them to drop the 50m+ Switches.

The Lite and Standard Switches are still around. They can still be the cheaper console. A 350$ tv-only switch doesn't take anything away from the other models.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
As someone who just got the newest revision for Christmas.... c'mon. :(

I guess if it's a significant upgrade I can just sell mine on Craigslist and recoup 80%+ of the cost.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the point of a Pro model, and can't see what this would be otherwise. Would be weird to stop making the $299 SKU so soon, but at the same time anything above $299 especially with Lite at $199 would be DOA.

In a perfect world this would be a Lite with docking, or just a dock that supports HDR output. Would be better to get ecosystem down to $150/$250 ASAP before next gen systems because no switch revision will help them with next gen ports anyway. It won't begin to approach PS4 level power until 5nm or later, this would likely be 7 or 10nm knowning Nintendo, or even still 16nm just clocked higher.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Interested by a more powerful model, but I expect anything.
We probably won't have confirmation of it before 1 or 2 months before release so, we'll see.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I was hoping we would go at least a week before we got more hardware rumors.. :P

Oh well, let's see what this turns out to be

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this is a thing, Do NOT expect it to be announced until a month before release and it's existence denied until the announcement.

proof: Gameboy SP, DS lite was literally denied by Nintendo just 6-7 days before they announced it.
I mean that's pretty much the standard across all products from any company lol. They're not gonna be like "Oh yeah totally, we have that product coming out soon," a week before it's officially unveiled lol.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Zhuge a few days ago said he doesnt think a switch pro will release this year

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was saying for a while that I would want a Switch Pro with a bigger screen and some more juice. I don't care about exclusive games on it but I can imagine Nintendo letting third parties decide if they want to exclusively target a pro model or all models. The new Switch models already released have significant battery improvements so devs could target both but have significant more battery drain on the lower end models. That way everyone will get the games but the pro users will have longer battery life and maybe better performance.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't see the point of a Pro model, and can't see what this would be otherwise. Would be weird to stop making the $299 SKU so soon, but at the same time anything above $299 especially with Lite at $199 would be DOA.

In a perfect world this would be a Lite with docking, or just a dock that supports HDR output. Would be better to get ecosystem down to $150/$250 ASAP before next gen systems because no switch revision will help them with next gen ports anyway. It won't begin to approach PS4 level power until 5nm or later, this would likely be 7 or 10nm knowning Nintendo, or even still 16nm just clocked higher.

I could see a $199/$299/$399 setup working fairly well actually. Or they could alternatively could drop the basic switch to $250 and do a $199/$250/$299

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them realizing a pro model is a good idea with the new console gen launching. Nintendo is never at hardware/performance parity with Sony and MS but the gulf between a current switch and a PS5/Series X is going to be essentially be multi-generation.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018

It's been 3 years its time for a refresh. The DS had the DSi, the 3DS had the New 3DS, we need a Switch Pro. It'll replace the existing switch model so it'd still be 300

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Revision =/= New model

Could be Switch Lite with a better battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.