• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
MOD REQUEST: Include "has" in the title.

(It's 5am, time to sleep)

Star Trek fans are in for a bit of bad news. The long-gestating Star Trek 4, the planned sequel to 2016's Star Trek Beyond, appears to have been put on indefinite hold.
The news comes from Deadline, who's reporting that the movie has been shelved following the departure of its director, SJ Clarkson, who has just been recruited by HBO to helm and executive produce its secretive Game of Thrones spinoff/prequel pilot.

From Deadline:

"I hear Clarkson was recruited by HBO for GOT after she recently became available. Earlier this year, Clarkson was the first female director to be tapped to direct a Star Trek movie when she was hired to helm the fourth feature in the current series. That project has since been shelved."

Other Details:

Star Trek 4 has been stuck in development ever since the release of Beyond three years ago. At first, it was said that the movie would reunite Chris Pine's Captain James T. Kirk with his on-screen father George Kirk, who was played by a pre-Marvel Cinematic Universe Chris Hemsworth in J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek reboot movie. Star Trek 4 was set to somehow employ some form of time travel to bring father and son together again for a daring new adventure.

However, it was later reported that both actors had walked away from the project following pay disputes. The fate of the movie was then put into question, although stars such as Karl Urban and John Cho remained hopeful that the film would still happen. In early 2018, SJ Clarkson was tapped to become the first female director to helm a Star Trek movie. Now however, Clarkson has departed the project and she is now set to helm the pilot episode of HBO's next Game of Thrones series.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
If the major actors aren't on board, I guess it's time for another reboot.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least we got Beyond out of the reboot. The only movie that actually felt like Star Trek.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that this was pretty much bound to happen given the underwhelming performance of Beyond.

I'm surprised the discontinuation of the series hadn't been official yet.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
TenderThirdGraywolf-max-1mb.gif

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Beyond was an awesome film and good Trek, too. Sad, but at least Trek's looking way healthier on the TV front these days.

We've been through worse, I'd say.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean really the issue was that the whole cast was ready after Trek 09 to do a traditional series for at least one season on TV but Viacom and CBS arguing over the rights to distribute killed the momentum as they carried off Into Darkness and the reboot franchise never really recovered or found it's footing in the mass market.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
That's too bad, enjoyed all three reboot movies.
Maybe Tarintinos version will get made now.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Beyond yet, so I should then? Thought people were quite disappointed in it.

Some people were disappointed because it felt like a TV episode but I consider that a postive. The character interactions are perfect, Kirk finally acts like he's worthy of sitting in the chair and there is just the right amount of fan service. I say go for it.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the one that feels the most like a Star Trek movie performs the worst.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
not really surprised, and with the new TV shows (Discovery and the new Picard one) they will probably do a movie for them rather than in the current film universe.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen Beyond yet, so I should then? Thought people were quite disappointed in it.
it is a matter of taste.
the first 30 minutes or so...until they leave for the mission are some of the best cinema star trek

after that it turns into an overlong "monster of the week" tv episode for me which I did not like.

of course this is like I said a matter of personal taste

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Some people were disappointed because it felt like a TV episode but I consider that a postive. The character interactions are perfect, Kirk finally acts like he's worthy of sitting in the chair and there is just the right amount of fan service. I say go for it.
People wated big dumb explosions and drama. It was my favourite and I'm not even a Star Trek follower.
it is a matter of taste.
the first 30 minutes or so...until they leave for the mission are some of the best cinema star trek

after that it turns into an overlong "monster of the week" tv episode for me which I did not like.

of course this is like I said a matter of personal taste
Guess I am giving it a shot then!

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I could not be happier, as someone who contends that these films are a stain on the franchise.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
It's a such a shame this reboot never found much of an audience internationally. That cast is so good.
And even though all 3 films had their flaws, particularly Into Darkness, I enjoyed all of them.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Into Darkness did a lot of damage, the third movie was always going to suffer for it.
Yep. Bumblebee is unfortunately taking a hit thanks to the Bay films.

It's a bummer this was cancelled. I loved the cast, had great chemistry together. But they also fucked up taking four years to make a sequel after Star Trek 09 came out and had a lot of hype.

It didn't help that by the time Into the Darkness was released, JJ was confirmed to be leaving Star Trek to direct the new Star Wars. Also, it not being it's own story, rather than trying to do a play on Wrath of Khan was a bad idea. I still enjoyed the movie though.

Edit: Star Trek Beyonds first trailer didn't help the franchise either. Awful trailer.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Into Darkness did a lot of damage, the third movie was always going to suffer for it.
Contrary to internet belief, I really don't think Into Darkness has anything to do with Beyond's shortcomings considering the relative success of ID amongst general audiences and critics.

I'm almost certain it's because Paramount seriously botched pushing the brand name the last few years even for its 50th Anniversary at the time. The marketing for Beyond even felt nonexistent compared to the 2 other movies.

EDIT: Looking back at it now, the cracks also started to show in the lead up to ID too. They really waited too long in terms of taking advantage of 09's success with that one.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Contrary to internet belief, I really don't think Into Darkness has anything to do with Beyond's shortcomings considering the relative success of ID amongst general audiences and critics.

I'm almost certain it's because Paramount seriously botched pushing the brand name the last few years even for its 50th Anniversary at the time. The marketing for Beyond even felt nonexistent compared to the 2 other movies.

EDIT: Looking back at it now, the cracks also started to show in the lead up to ID too. They really waited too long in terms of taking advantage of 09's success with that one.

It's not mutually exclusive, associated with ID didn't kick in financially until later on. Movies rely on previous instalments to maintain momentum.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
Too bad.

But Tarantino's Star Trek is still a thing? In what kind of scenario is Tarantino's Star Trek supposed to take place? Which characters will be featured in it? Which timeline?

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
It's a such a shame this reboot never found much of an audience internationally. That cast is so good.
And even though all 3 films had their flaws, particularly Into Darkness, I enjoyed all of them.

The Kelvinverse movie casts are complete and utter dogshit.

There isn't a thing that could be done that would make me interested in watching new Star Trek content.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not mutually exclusive, associated with ID didn't kick in financially until later on. Movies rely on previous instalments to maintain momentum.
Yeah, but the impression I always get from discussions is always along the lines of "Into Darkness was shitty enough to turn off audiences for good." But I think the main problem — despite being a really solid summer blockbuster that year — was that it didn't spur any big emotions, good or bad, out of audiences in the long term after its initial release compared to its predecessor.