• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Not a big loss for cinema. These movies veered between ok at best (1) to mediocre (3) to trash (2)

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The reboot was never True Star Trek in my lens. It became clear the studios wanted the reboot to make it a space action movie . The only time it felt like sta trek of old was the last 5 minutes of beyond.

TNG like movie series is what true Star Trek is

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly that's a shame. I really like the cast they put together. That's without a doubt one of the it biggest strength. Everyone has really good chemistry together.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Yeah I don't think any of the movies really lived up to the promise of how good the cast seemed.
Beyond was ok, but felt like a straight-to-netflix movie.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The reboot was never True Star Trek in my lens. It became clear the studios wanted the reboot to make it a space action movie . The only time it felt like sta trek of old was the last 5 minutes of beyond.

Unless I'm wrong, only TNG movie that was good was First Contact.
Nemesis was a mess. Even as a kid, I knew it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Beyond were both pretty good movies.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017

The big criticism of the TNG era movies is that they abandoned TNG's bread and butter for being shallow action movies, though

Unless I'm wrong, only TNG movie that was good was First Contact.
Nemesis was a mess. Even as a kid, I knew it.

And First Contact is, by comparison to TNG, a very action oriented movie. The only Star Trek TNG movie that actually sticks close to TNG's formula is Generations

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I really like how some of the characters are portrayed but as a trek thing the recent movies are pretty far down on my list, I won't miss them too much.

Oct 27, 2017
On hindsight, they really did have some bad luck considering the timeframes in which they released in terms of trying to establish a better following for the movie franchise.

2009 -- Not necessarily that bad. Sure, there was Batman, Iron Man before then and Transformers 2 right around the corner, but it had a good start. No one else was doing high budget space adventures anywyay.

2013 -- Oops, people seem to be more interested in this whole superhero business again.

2016 -- Oops, Star Wars came back to the big screen. Y'know... the one franchise they were probably counting on not coming back when they started this whole shindig again?
The problem with 2013 wasn't superheroes, it was that the makers of Trek totally misread the room on the tone audiences wanted. The fun optimism of the 2009 film would've killed in 2013, but instead they released a movie called Into Darkness.

The return of Star Wars absolutely hurt them though, and I'd argue Guardians of the Galaxy did as well. Trek went from the big space opera franchise to the third wheel.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Three reboot movies, zero evenly matched starship combat, no proper klingon interactions and the enterprise destroyed twice like it was made of tissue paper. I liked the reboots, but Beyond was a failure not giving us New-Kirk vs the klingons.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Hated the first two movies, didn't see the 3rd - so I don't care. It's for the best actually...
With a new Picard series on the way , Discovery will fill the gap of a "modern" take on Trek.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
That's too bad I really liked the cast.
It seems I'm the outlier here that likes Trek but hated the third film. I couldn't even watch the entire thing.
Still, it sounds like pay disputes and losing the director did more to cancel than anything the third film did.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, the premise for this movie always seemed a little desperate to me.

"Hey that Star-Trek-like Star Trek movie didn't do very well, but we have Thor. Remember when we cast Thor before he was famous? You guys would pay to see Thor, right?"

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
If they have a proper and good borg origin story I will read them.

The borg are one of my favourite things about star trek.

You should give them a read then. A bit slow to get going, but they deal extensively with the past, present, and future of the Borg. There are a few references to previous books in Beta canon, but I hadn't read any of them at the time and felt that the Destiny novels did a good job at filling me in. What happened in previous books isn't essential knowledge the first time around.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like action movie Picard.

So different from the TV show.
Agreed. First Contact's strengths are the character moments when we see how everyone is buckling under the weight of the Borg threat, not the action moments.

Although honestly a giant flaw with First Contact in general is that the movie completely ignores all of Picard's character development regarding the Borg after "Best of Both Worlds"

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is incredibly disappointing :(

The Abrams Star Trek universe was the first time I finally was interested in Star Trek. Loved all three movies, and I hold them significantly above the preceding films. At least Abrams jumped ship to finally make Star Wars interesting, but I liked both of his Trek movies over TFA.

Negative interest in Discovery too. Blargh

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a massive TNG/DS9 fan but honestly don't care that much anymore about the new Star Trek or Star Wars movies anymore. They all just feel so mediocre, especially when we have such amazing rich TV sci fi shows like The Expanse, Killjoys, etc plus of course stuff like Discovery, Orville, and the upcoming Picard show. Who cares anymore about 2 hour movies when I have 100+ hours of (sci fi) TV shows I still haven't watched.

I guess growing up the Star Wars movies were the main attractions, the Star Trek movies were bridge pieces between shows, but now the Star Trek movies feel like weird spin offs from Fast and Furious.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I mean really the issue was that the whole cast was ready after Trek 09 to do a traditional series for at least one season on TV but Viacom and CBS arguing over the rights to distribute killed the momentum as they carried off Into Darkness and the reboot franchise never really recovered or found it's footing in the mass market.
Seriously? This would have been great

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
GOOD. Was just gonna be another film with the Enterprise getting its shit pushed in anyhow. ILM deserved better.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about star trek is the actors dont really matter. If they dont want to reprise a role, a different time period can be used with different characters or they can just keep the same period and write about a different ship or a different location. The current reboot may be dead but it proved star trek can pull big BO numbers so well see it again in theaters.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Now hopefully they can get the cast back together for the Tarantino script. The time travel father-meets-son plot sounded awful.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
GOOD. Was just gonna be another film with the Enterprise getting its shit pushed in anyhow. ILM deserved better.
So, it was going to be a Star Trek movie. Outside of Star Trek: The Motion Picture I can't think of another Star Trek movie where the Enterprise doesn't get the shit kicked out of of it.
The problem with 2013 wasn't superheroes, it was that the makers of Trek totally misread the room on the tone audiences wanted. The fun optimism of the 2009 film would've killed in 2013, but instead they released a movie called Into Darkness.
It also didn't help that Into Darkness was a 9/11 Truther movie

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yay, let this bastardized offshoot die and be quickly forgotten.

Long live the Prime universe!!!

Oct 27, 2017
Into Darkness did a lot of damage, the third movie was always going to suffer for it.

No it fucking didn't. I don't know why people say this shit. Into Darkness was universally liked by everyone but hardcore Star Trek nerds and made the most money of any Star Trek movie.

ResetEra really needs to stop pretending their opinions on certain movies is actually representative of the entire world. Their opinions of this and Dark Knight Rises are so off base with how the vast majority feel.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
It blows my mind that most people feel the latest movie felt like actual star trek. Like I've watched a completely different movie or something. It was riddled with dumb action stuff and all sorts of scenes I hated.

I'm not particularly sad this alternative timeline stuff is dead if that's what we can expect.

Beyond was the worst of the 3 films. Didn't feel anything like Star Trek.

Kinda glad 4 is being put on hold/cancelled. I didn't want them to move forward without Pine as Kirk.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer. I loved all three. Great cast, great original score, great stories (even though they always veered towards fun rather than being thought provoking) great FX, great pacing... I'll miss this iteration.

I'll be interested to see what's next, though!

Jan 29, 2018
Beyond was the worst of the 3 films. Didn't feel anything like Star Trek.

Kinda glad 4 is being put on hold/cancelled. I didn't want them to move forward without Pine as Kirk.

Beyond felt the most like a Star Trek TV show.

I like the reboot cast a lot and I'm bummed we might not see more of the Kelvin universe. At least Trek is getting a TV resurgence.