• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
How many of those are going to TV versus streaming services? Are all of them CBS All Access?
all streaming/All Access so far as I'm aware. CBS see Trek as their way to break into streaming in a big way--they're worried that traditional TV's gonna dry up, and they don't just wanna become another source of material for Netflix, hence All Access.

(of course, where I live, there is no All Access, so this stuff might end up on TV, or on Netflix, or just nowhere if the Short Treks are any indication.)

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
09 and Into Darkness were basically Star Wars-light. They were good, but once Star Wars actually came back people stopped caring.

That, and Beyond was a more traditional Trek film, which as has been proven time and time again, is just not something non-Trekkies go for (on the big screen at least).

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
As a reminder, THIS was the only theatrical poster for Star Trek: Beyond. At least it was the only one that was ever up at my theatre.

51wIW-akl1L.jpg

As was said, there's 0 evidence that Into Darkness was not recieved well by the masses. It reviewed well, it made fine money. It's Metacritic is high both critically and from users. https://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-trek-into-darkness Beyond is 100% on Paramount's failing.

Meanwhile, with Discovery and the multitude of shows in development, Trek is doing well now. The fact they can't get a movie together is a perfect example of what a disaster Paramount is.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I liked the first two, but Beyond had me asleep in the theater. I probably need to rewatch it. Sucks though, because the first two movies definitely made a strong case for modern Star Trek.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The 3 cliches I don't want to see in a future Star Trek movie:

1) Time travel
2) A revenge seeking baddie
3) The enterprise gets destroyed

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm bummed this was canceled but hooefully we can still get that Tarantino Star Trek movie.

Early reviews for Star Trek: Discovery are looking pretty good so I'm excited got that. Sounds like it feels more Star Trek like in season 2 with a lighter tone, more exploration, more character development, etc.

A youtube review said the season 2 premiere is an hour long. I hope that's true!

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The 3 cliches I don't want to see in a future Star Trek movie:

1) Time travel
2) A revenge seeking baddie
3) The enterprise gets destroyed
lol

Apply this to all of the Trek movies that currently exist and the only movies you are left with are Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
  • Wrath of Khan
    • Revenge seeking baddie
    • Enterprise gets massively fucked up in this movie
  • Search for Spock
    • Enterprise gets destroyed
  • Voyage Home
    • Time travel
  • Undiscovered Country
    • Enterprise gets massively fucked up in battle
  • Generations
    • Time travel
  • First Contact
    • Time travel
    • Enterprise nearly gets destroyed
  • Insurrection
    • Revenge seeking baddie
  • Nemesis
    • Revenge seeking baddie
  • Star Trek 2009
    • Triple Cliche Bonus!
      • Time Travel
      • Revenge seeking baddie
  • Into Darkness
    • Revenge seeking baddie
  • Beyond
    • Revenge seeking baddie

Last edited:

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Enterprise getting messed up does not count as enterprise getting destroyed. So for the TOS movies, only 3 have those cliches: Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home. And at the time none of them were cliches so they work fine in those movies. But when you re-use them again and again it gets boring. The last 4 Star Trek movies have all had revenge seeking baddies (Nemesis, 09, Into Darkness, Beyond).

They need to come up with more interesting stories. Star Trek VI has aged the best of probably any of the TOS movies just because the story is original and done very well.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Enterprise getting messed up does not count as enterprise getting destroyed. So for the TOS movies, only 3 have those cliches: Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home. And at the time none of them were cliches so they work fine in those movies. But when you re-use them again and again it gets boring. The last 4 Star Trek movies have all had revenge seeking baddies (Nemesis, 09, Into Darkness, Beyond).

They need to come up with more interesting stories. Star Trek VI has aged the best of probably any of the TOS movies just because the story is original and done very well.
The last five, technically, because revenge was the driving force behind the main bad guy in Insurrection as well. And if we want to stretch things a little we could also argue that First Contact is about Picard seeking revenge against The Borg.

Also if the Enterprise getting messed up to the point where massive repairs are needed doesn't count as the Enterprise getting destroyed, then "the Enterprise getting super fucked up" is a Trek movie trope on its own.

And I agree that Star Trek VI has probably aged the best of the TOS movies (hell any Trek movie), Wrath of Khan holds up pretty well too with its central "getting old and dealing with loss" theme being pretty timeless