• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Noted: People in public housing tipped consistently.

New York Times said:
Delivering in the city, I learned that some people apparently consider the person who risked life and limb to bring them their cheese rose oolong tea unworthy of even hello. A lot of my deliveries were to fancy new glass towers that looked like the buildings in video games. The twentysomethings inside would barely crack the apartment door enough to take the bag of food, or maybe just mouth "thanks" without interrupting their phone call.

Another unpleasant surprise: For almost two-thirds of my 43 deliveries, I got no tip. You may think the delivery fee takes care of the rider, but the apps' pay structure leaves riders dependent on tips to make a living wage.

A friend of mine who has been delivering for three years, Wilder Selzer, called the job "a great window into our stratification." Quite a few times, he said, he has delivered to people — men and women alike — who answered the door in their underwear, but not in a sexy way.

"It goes back to the class thing," he said. "You're like a eunuch — it's O.K. to be naked in front of you because you're not a personperson."

The cloak of invisibility descended in restaurants, too. I picked up an order of Rasta Pasta at a bar and grill in Bedford-Stuyvesant from a woman who kept her head turned 90 degrees away as she handed me the food, as if it, or I, were a rotten fish.

The class thing, Wilder said, could have a paradoxical effect on tips. People in public housing tipped consistently, he said, while students at N.Y.U., one of the nation's priciest colleges, rarely did.

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
wasn't there an article or twitter thread recently that showed GrubHub or another delivery service charges their customers something like $2 and even if the customer tipped $5 or $0, the driver still ended up with only a fraction after GH took their fees out

edit: yes this is the NYT via the verge. NYT and the verge with no paywall
DoorDash offers a guaranteed minimum for each job. For my first order, the guarantee was $6.85 and the customer, a woman in Boerum Hill who answered the door in a colorful bathrobe, tipped $3 via the app. But I still received only $6.85.
Here's how it works: If the woman in the bathrobe had tipped zero, DoorDash would have paid me the whole $6.85. Because she tipped $3, DoorDash kicked in only $3.85. She was saving DoorDash $3, not tipping me.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I can't imagine not tipping for these things, especially because it's literally built into the cost and you have to consciously remove it, lol. It's not like forgetting to bring it to the door or just not having cash. Fuckin' gross, people. Tip your delivery folks.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the delivery people risking life? That sounds like a pretty terrible job to pick.
Maybe they don't feel they have the luxury of choice, and that the job they have is the job they could get? IDK. I'm sure they'd choose to do something more financially rewarding and gratifying if they thought they had that option.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pro-establishment NY Times shaming customers instead of rightfully railing against Uber and these other scam services who do whatever they can to avoid paying their workers decent wages. Smh

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I can barely feed myself living in NYC. I only get doordash like every few months. And even then I barely have enough for most thing let alone tip.

If I had a better income I would tip 100% cause I know how most of those workers live off those tips.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any difference to tipping in the app vs. cash? I always tipped in cash as I assumed it was better for the delivery person but not sure if the app shows other delivery people that I'm putting in $0.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always tip but my understanding is that the tip doesn't go to the delivery person. Many people may be avoiding it for that reason.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad how people are cheap. If someone is delivering food to my door, that person gets $5.00. Tips are expected of pizza delivery (I would hope) - it should be expected of all food delivery.

If someone has a problem with tipping culture itself, that's not something to take out on the delivery person. If you don't want to tip for delivery, just get up and get your own take out.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
One thing to note, never tip using the app, always tip in cash to the driver (Sadly I rarely have cash, so I tip using the app).

Oct 25, 2017
you shouldn't tip doordashers unless its actual cash in their hand that they dont report. if you tip, DD takes it out of their delivery fee they're getting anyway, so its like throwing money away to DD itself, not the person

tip the person in cash

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to use DoorDash yesterday to order some Chinese food and noticed that everything on the menu was $6 more.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Maybe they don't feel they have the luxury of choice, and that the job they have is the job they could get? IDK. I'm sure they'd choose to do something more financially rewarding and gratifying if they thought they had that option.
I understand, but... risking their life? I can hardly imagine how delivering food could be risking your life more than many other jobs out there, but it's used as one of the first bits of the quoted paragraph.
Is delivering food in the US that bad? You guys should start adding a service fee onto the prices and just using that as the tip bit.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i only use Seamless (owned by GrubHub) and 90% of the time i pick up my order. i prefer to keep it pretty local. i still tip though (just less than 20%).

Oct 29, 2017
Wait what, you guys tip delivery drivers?

These people need to be paid a proper wage, can't imagine it's the safest job to have in NY.

Kounce

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Why are the delivery people risking life? That sounds like a pretty terrible job to pick.

I personally know a midtown delivery guy that pulls 90k, but he works for a store, not these garbage apps. Now he's an extreme outlier, but the real story is how garbage these apps are (for workers), and how they pull down wages by getting stores to outsource deliveries.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The delivery fee is already outrageous, then you gotta add on tip on top of that. This is the reason I pick up my own food.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the other week or so I heard that DoorDash uses tips to save themselves money and that the money someone was going to get paid is set either way. Either DoorDash pays it all or DoorDash pays what the remainder if there is a tip given. Do these services actually give delivery people tips when they are done through app?

Also, I imagine people are much more apprehensive about giving tips when they see "service fees" in the app. I know Uber Eats has a 15% service fee automatically. Not sure if that is a tip or just guaranteed pay for the driver. Door Dash prices are already nuts to me anyways.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't there an article or twitter thread recently that showed GrubHub or another delivery service charges their customers something like $2 and even if the customer tipped $5 or $0, the driver still ended up with only a fraction after GH took their fees out

It's the same guy who wrote the NYT article in the OP even

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad how many people are geared to think people are cheap for not tipping. You know who's actually cheap? These apps and owners who refuse to pay a livable wage and then pass the cost onto the customer.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too cheap to tip delivery people, which is why I never order delivery. And I live in the middle of nowhere relatively, so it should be easier for people in NYC to go get their food.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The delivery person should be able to report people who don't tip so the person can no longer use the service, or at least so other drivers are aware if they don't want to take their business. Give the order-ee a star rating, if it falls too low their service charge is increased to make up for not tipping.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It doesn't help that so many of the fees keep going up. Fees upon fees and they keep all raising their rates. We were gonna order some Indian food couple weeks ago and the fees were insane, then we are expected to tip also? It's getting ridiculous to use these services.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I understand, but... risking their life? I can hardly imagine how delivering food could be risking your life more than many other jobs out there, but it's used as one of the first bits of the quoted paragraph.
Is delivering food in the US that bad? You guys should start adding a service fee onto the prices and just using that as the tip bit.

Delivering food in the city is a thankless job. These are the people on bikes and such dealing with shit drivers.

Tip in cash.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have never used one of these services because of all the fees. The prices are cranked up over the store and then there is usually a fee outside of the tip. I get that the fees are how these companies actually make money, but when I've looked at Uber Eats and Prime Delivery (or whatever it's called), it was going to be like $15-20 for something after tip that would be about $8 if I did it myself.. I just can't justify that expense. I don't condone it by any stretch of the imagination, but I am not surprised some people don't tip because the prices are outrageous.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh. They're probably carrying cash, they're definitely carrying delicious pizza, and they're travelling alone, often at night, often through neighbourhoods that may not be the safest. So they get ripped off.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad how many people are geared to think people are cheap for not tipping. You know who's actually cheap? These apps and owners who refuse to pay a livable wage and then pass the cost onto the customer.

It's both.

The culture itself is bad and the system itself is the real problem, but that doesn't excuse a customer not tipping for delivery while partaking in said system. The only one that gets hurt is the one making deliveries.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
To be fair, the fees for these delivery apps are insane. I could get why people are hesitant to put a tip over and above that. By the time you pay for the fees and a tip, the percentage of the overall order besides the food cost could be ~30%.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Yeah I made a thread about it. It means you should tip in cash if using DoorDash

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It doesn't help that so many of the fees keep going up. Fees upon fees and they keep all raising their rates. We were gonna order some Indian food couple weeks ago and the fees were insane, then we are expected to tip also? It's getting ridiculous to use these services.
I don't think it's a sustainable business model to have the overhead of a large company in addition to the one of the small business all while relying on not paying employees a living wage.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It boggles my mind that people are so scared of talking to people they would rather use an app and pay a middle man more than what they would of had to tip a driver of the business itself to deliver the food. If you want Taco Bell or some place that doesnt normally deliver i get it, but local places that do delivery i always call.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tipping threads on Era are really entertaining. Going to get some popcorn.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It boggles my mind that people are so scared of talking to people they would rather use an app and pay a middle man more than what they would of had to tip a driver of the business itself to deliver the food. If you want Taco Bell or some place that doesnt normally deliver i get it, but local places that do delivery i always call.

Call? Like on the phone?

Ew.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wait what, you guys tip delivery drivers?

These people need to be paid a proper wage, can't imagine it's the safest job to have in NY.
Yeah it's weird. First time I ordered pizza while I was in the US, the delivery guy stood there looking at me weirdly because I gave him the exact amount the bill came to, if it weren't for a friend who told me about tipping delivery people when he noticed the situation, I don't know how the whole thing would've played out lol.
And I'm almost positive my friends and I forgot to tip at an Italian restaurant even though the waitress was pretty nice to us and even attempted to speak some Spanish, also left a nice note on the bill. We felt really bad after we realized what we had (not) done, but man, tipping culture is weird af.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Most of those kids at NYU are in debt 100k+ for their education. The delivery person likely has more disposable income in their pocket than they do.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I ordered food we forgot we didn't have cash. I apologized to the driver and he said "don't worry, you always tip!".

We don't order take out that often, so it's likely he remembers that because it's not the norm to tip.

UK, btw.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

This is disgusting of DD sigh

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It seems pretty rare at least in Austin for a place to have their own delivery in this day and age. The expectation is that people will just use Favor (local company) or the other big ones if they want delivery. I assume the businesses are happy with the practice as its fewer employees for them.