• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
And you're going to make tipping non-standard by starving all the servers and delivery drivers out of jobs?

So you make a statement by hurting the smallest guy on the ladder?

See above

Pack your lunch if you don't want to waste your break or spend too much money.

If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to eat out.
We've all worked shit jobs that pay too little, you know what you do when that happens? You look for another job.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to delivery drivers for most businesses the tip is the only way the business can afford delivery drivers in the first place.

Want them to be paid more? Get ready for that cost to be offset across the menu. You're going to pay for the service either way.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Nowhere did I say the quoted but did offer valid reasoning for the necessity of such apps in a workplace setting. And nobody's gloating so boofuckinghoo if I triggered you by offering my perspective on the statistics shown by this topic.

You know what? I get a 30 minute lunch (sometimes 15 depending on how short my shift is). Not really much time to go get food. You know what I do? I bring my food. And bonus, it's cheaper than eating out even! And probably healthier too! You are not forced to use these services nor are you entitled to them. In fact people managed to do fine at their workplaces before these services existed. Some how they managed to get by. These services haven't even been around for that long.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
When it comes to delivery drivers for most businesses the tip is the only way the business can afford delivery drivers in the first place.

Want them to be paid more? Get ready for that cost to be offset across the menu. You're going to pay for the service either way.
If the tip is the only way they can afford it, then don't have delivery.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Has nothing to do with being cheap, and everything to do with it being unaffordable. It's not feasible to tip after three individual $4 fees, it's just not. Cut back on the fees and I'll gladly tip here and there.

Everyone keeps saying "go out and get your food" and that's moronic as shit because who wants to spend a fraction of their work appointed break traveling, waiting in lines, getting food, etc. That makes zero sense and all you guys' hot takes exhibit zero logic. These apps are designed for convenience whether you like it or not, and people are still going tip or not at their own discretion.

can afford: $12 in fees
can't afford: $5 in tips

lol

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017

Then business should raise the prices if they can't afford to pay a livable wage.

Also, Uber is not some small company.

Either way shaming people into paying an extra value and hope people do that so employees can earn a living is a shitty system that makes no sense and it's not applicable to most professions and there's no reason it should be used expect so companies can profit more.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
American tipping values is crazy, only in America do these apps pay less to the drivers and shame people into tipping.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I've only used DD a couple times but because I never had cash on me I tipped through the app.

If I ever use it again I'm just gonna hand some cash right to the driver.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
This is BS, because in cities like Seattle, where service people are getting paid $15 an hour, tipping is still expected. The argument that things will change when labor laws change is based on weak foundation.

You're right. But culture will slowly change when they realize things have changed. Culture doesn't change overnight. Hell, I admit I live in Washington and I still tip and feel bad for not tipping. But if it becomes standard everywhere slowly things will change. Those who don't want to tip will have a stronger argument and more people will start going to their side and eventually we'll get to culture changing.

We've all worked shit jobs that pay too little, you know what you do when that happens? You look for another job.

Yep, cause it's that easy. And only these jobs try to exploit their workers. How about we regulate jobs better so they can't exploit workers as easily?

Good. Then cheapskates can't pawn off the cost of some one's labor back on the person doing the service for them. Is anyone here arguing it would be cheaper for the customer if we went with living wages? You want a service, then pay fairly for it. What getting rid of tipping would do is force people who don't want to pay fairly to either do so or not take up people's time and effort for an unfair price.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't tip if there is a delivery fee and a service fee.
Here's another thing: order directly from businesses that have their own delivery driver. Don't use apps. There will always be a delivery fee but there won't be a bullshit service fee and your driver will get their whole tip.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I could have sworn I read previously that tipping via the DoorDash app was OK as it went to the driver in addition to what the app paid them. Guess I'll tip in cash now.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I don't tip if there is a delivery fee and a service fee.

Have you paid attention to the rest of this thread? Because if so, you'd already see this is not an attitude that goes over well. It's not the driver's fault how the company charges. And even if they didn't do both, they'd probably just have one larger fee. PRoviding a service has to be feasable (in other words it has to make enough money to be worth it). And one could aruge that these companies overcharge for the service they provide (since they aren't actually doing the labor but just providing an easy way to get customer and driver together) but then maybe just don't use that company cause it's overpriced.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I use these services all the time and add tip beyond the multiple other fees.

If indeed I am literally double tipping the service and not the driver, then fuck that. Never adding to that tip line again and will instead carry more cash to personally tip.

Christ that is upsetting if my tips aren't going to the individual.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I never order anything more than 2 miles away and I never usually go beyond $30-$40 and I always tip $5 no matter what I paid. Delivery services are a luxury and practically every restaurant is doing it so if you want to have certain things in life you have to pay for it. With taxes, delivery service and tip, it's always upwards of $10 more than what it should be but that's the price to pay for not having to drive all the way to the place yourself.
From top to bottom running and working in a restaurant is not an easy feat so I make sure to keep that in mind when I have to pay way more than I would if I went to get it myself.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Shit, I use these services all the time and add tip beyond the multiple other fees.

If indeed I am literally double tipping the service and not the driver, then fuck that. Never adding to that tip line again and will instead carry more cash to personally tip.

Christ that is upsetting if my tips aren't going to the individual.

Personally I'd avoid that service because to me that's theft and unethical. If they tell me I am tipping the driver... thent hat money better damn well go to the driver, I didn't pay that money to go to them. They don't deserve my money at all if they are going to practice such shitty practices. Supposedly Uber Eats doesn't do this (and some others... some article was saying Amazon Flex does this as well though).

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I use DoorDash a lot and I never tip in the app. I always just give the driver cash from my understanding they make more that way.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
- Yes, the main culprit is these apps not giving these workers enough social security and decent wages.
- Yes, tipping sucks.
- None of this is an excuse for being a POS and not tipping. Tip in cash to your delivery person ffs or simply don't order.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Ditto on the didn't know my money wasn't going to the driver when I too. From now on I'll not add a tip on the device and on the note section say tip on cash so they don't have to feel like they're doing it for nothing.

Edit: Also being in housing in NY it kinda tickles me pink I might have been one of the people who met this guy. Thank God I always put on pants before opening the door lol.

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
99% of the time when I get food I pick up. 1. I don't wanna pay more than I need to. 2. I'm rarely ever that lazy to not pick it up. 3. It's quicker.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ditto on the didn't know my money wasn't going to the driver when I too. From now on I'll not add a tip on the device and on the note section say tip on cash so they don't have to feel like they're doing it for nothing.

Edit: Also being in housing in NY it kinda tickles me pink I might have been one of the people who met this guy. Thank God I always put on pants before opening the door lol.

I had some rich dude come out of his huge house in his underwear before. Lol Dude did not give af.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Wait, the underwear thing I don't really get.

Like the reason I'm ordering delivery half the time is that I don't want to get dressed.

I'll be in boxers and a t-shirt? Is that really a problem?

Anytime people are wearing bathing suits in public is it because they are treating everyone as a eunuch?
I just slip on a pair of shorts when you open the door to avoid making someone feel uncomfortable. Only takes a few seconds and you can go back to boxers after

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Good.

Fuck tips and tipping culture. I haven't used DoorDash, Uber Eats or any of those things but if I do then they won't be getting a tip.

Properly pay your workers or go out of business. I'm not going to help prop up an exploitative system.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Haven't read the whole thread, but isn't DD's policy kinda like tipping in a restaurant?

I mean, waiters are supposed to earn minimum wage. Either through a combination of tips and wages, or just wages if they're aren't enough tips. So isn't that kinda what DD is doing? Tips go toward minimum wage and if there isn't enough it makes up the difference?

I'm not defending DD, just asking. I think the whole tipping thing is dumb. Just raise the prices and pay everyone a fair wage. That way some people aren't subsidizing everyone else.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Has anyone seen this new thing on Uber Eats where they wave the $5 delivery fee if you order from a restaurant someone else just ordered from? You "share the courier".

I have no idea how this works out. Am I screwing the driver or helping? I've been tipping of course, because I'm not an animal.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
2/3s??? Lol. Did GrubHub for a year. It's more like 75%

And one thing to know is, much like door dash. They take tips as part of the ""minimum wage""

When Taco Bell Chick-fil-A and KFC started doing delivery that's when the local delivery area. (Mine is in the IE of California) delivery rates dropped low, and not tipppers increased!

one of the people at Chick-fil-A even encourages people order through the app which then gets subcontract out to either GrubHub or doordash, "well you don't have to tip.. we pay!" And I show them. They are they worst! From $1.50 to $2.10 a delivery. Big or small.

But to answer the question I think of the people who tip consistently will usually be people order at like regular restaurants a like an Applebee's or whatever. Fast food is hit or miss.

Rich people fucking SUCK! Had a Thanksgiving order, over$300 worth of turkey and such. Got a $2 tip. The best part? These were clearly sweaty bills, and the dude told me: "work harder and maybe you don't have to fucking work here next time." I left his sides in the driveway . I was so pissed off. Didn't care. Fuck it. And this was in a million plus dollar neighborhood. He had money but somehow found the shittiest bills..

Also warehouses like Amazon order huge orders that would be considered 'catering' and subject to a minimum upcharge. But what I found is they have supervisor's order parts and have several of us deliver like.. three taco packs each from us at Taco Bell. Then tell us 'Company can't tip, but please set this up for us' I never did. Left with security and bailed out. Had a doordash dude flip out on that order because they held a tip hostage. So proceeded to throw the food all over. He rage quit very publicly, but I don't blame him.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
If the drivers are not being compensated correctly then a new system is needed. They should be earning minimum wage at the very least. Are they considered employees?
you're correct. i do not like the compulsory tipping system either. but that's the system we are currently in and punishing service people isn't going to change it.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
wasn't there an article or twitter thread recently that showed GrubHub or another delivery service charges their customers something like $2 and even if the customer tipped $5 or $0, the driver still ended up with only a fraction after GH took their fees out

edit: yes this is the NYT via the verge. NYT and the verge with no paywall
wow thats some bullshit.

i've used doordash and usually tip 15%

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ok great. Go volunteer for a minimum wage rate increase advocacy group. Until that happens keep tipping your servers.

Where did I say I didn't tip?

But I must admit I'm not sure what the right approach is in some cases. For example the case here with uber eats drivers. At restaurants it's become somewhat obvious that tips are a risk outsourcing, true cost price obscuring service fee. In other industries it isn't clear.

Bartenders vs baristas for example seems like an arbitrary distinction. At some restaurants there's zero service. At others you order at a counter but food is brought to your table and then cleared by staff.

Standards are also moving from 15 to 18 percent as the minimum. That moves the system further against employees and consumers and more pro owner. Also, some restaurants are beginning to charge back of the kitchen fees. Another way to outsource risk and hide costs from prices even further.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read the whole thread, but isn't DD's policy kinda like tipping in a restaurant?

I mean, waiters are supposed to earn minimum wage. Either through a combination of tips and wages, or just wages if they're aren't enough tips. So isn't that kinda what DD is doing? Tips go toward minimum wage and if there isn't enough it makes up the difference?

I'm not defending DD, just asking. I think the whole tipping thing is dumb. Just raise the prices and pay everyone a fair wage. That way some people aren't subsidizing everyone else.

In Canada, it is illegal to pay someone below minimum wage, regardless of where tips factor in. Tips are considered a gratuity, which means it is not included as part of a wage calculation. So tipping here is not viewed the same way - a standard 15% tip is applied when service is good. No tip for minimum service. This is likely why service is usually pretty "meh" in Canada vs when I travel to the US, where service is typically quite good.

However, gig jobs don't have this limitation, as there exists no employee, simply a person accepting a gig via an app. So there is no employee, and no minimum wage. Just a straight payment for that particular gig. The bigger question is, why should this be legal?

Uber, Skip, DD, etc. all side-skirt the law with these technicalities. They view their system the same way as one would view a friend doing another friend a "favour for a small fee", and then take a cut of that fee as payment for providing the means of connecting the delivery driver with the customer.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Has anyone seen this new thing on Uber Eats where they wave the $5 delivery fee if you order from a restaurant someone else just ordered from? You "share the courier".

I have no idea how this works out. Am I screwing the driver or helping? I've been tipping of course, because I'm not an animal.
(Might be a double post but I'll answer this for the grubhub side!)

they have the same thing on the apps I've used what they do is that the minimum delivery fee is basically cut in half so say it was $3 we would get the minimum pay of like a dollar fifty to pick that up while we are waiting for another order at the restaurant.

the bad thing about it is not the fact that it pays so little but we cannot leave the restaurant until both orders are there so although sort of an understanding that you're going to get your food later the first customer doesn't realize this and we will often be late as a result and lead to more frustrating customer interactions...

Speaking of... I've had shakes thrown at me, hot garlic knots thrown at my car.. had a huge stain on for weeks. And the company only gave $20 for the 'combative experience'

Oh! Unrelated. but it also took me five times to ban this particular person who would order food and show up with nothing but a robe and his dick hanging out. I was basically on the line with a female driver who just got flashed by this dude and it was when we threatened to call the police on the dude and report them (doordash) for not doing anything that they finally banned the dude. She ended up filing a complaint and quitting that, as it was her first week

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously don't understand people answering the door in their underwear.

Not too long ago I took a pizza delivery to some house, guy answered the door wearing what had to have been the same tighty whities that he's been wearing for the past 20 years. So I tell him the total for his order and he tells me that he needs to grab his wallet. Turns out his wallet was in a pair of pants that were lying on the floor. What a lazy motherfucker.

Although, I guess I should be grateful that he didn't just pull a wad of cash out of his underwear. I had to deal with that situation before, and it wasn't particularly pleasant.

Oh! Unrelated. but it also took me five times to ban this particular person who would order food and show up with nothing but a robe and his dick hanging out. I was basically on the line with a female driver who just got flashed by this dude and it was when we threatened to call the police on the dude and report them (doordash) for not doing anything that they finally banned the dude. She ended up filing a complaint and quitting that, as it was her first week

Jesus. I feel so bad for the driver.