• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Has nothing to do with being cheap, and everything to do with it being unaffordable. It's not feasible to tip after three individual $4 fees, it's just not. Cut back on the fees and I'll gladly tip here and there.

Everyone keeps saying "go out and get your food" and that's moronic as shit because who wants to spend a fraction of their work appointed break traveling, waiting in lines, getting food, etc. That makes zero sense and all you guys' hot takes exhibit zero logic. These apps are designed for convenience whether you like it or not, and people are still going tip or not at their own discretion.

No, it has to do with you being cheap. If you can afford all those fees, you can afford a little extra on top. If you couldn't afford them, then you'd not be ordering from the company (sounds like regularly too). You even admitted if they started payign their workers fairly that the price would go up (and that would be a bad thing according to you). As I said, guess what? That means that is the cost of doing business. They have to make a profit themselves so they have to charge somethign that makes the service feasable. If you can't afford the full cost, then don't use their service! If a couple more bucks is going to break you, you can't afford the service. What you are doing is forcing the driver who is putting their labor and effort and all the maintainence costs to eat the cost of doing business for the honor of doing a service for you. Because you can't be bothered to pay the actual cost of delivery. That's called being cheap.

If you really thought they were too expensive, you wouldn't be using them! ANd no, you aren 't forced to use them. These are entirely optional services so quit acting like you are entitled to them. You are not.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
LMFAO Holy moly you are a whiny ass bum

"Oh no, I have to wait in line for food!!!!"
Whine, whine, whine is all I'm hearing from your cheap ass.
Who wants to do this, so I'll have other people do it for me and then not pay them! I must have the biggest brain imaginable. If you can't afford a tip don't bother with delivery, I'm sure there's another option for you to obtain food that doesn't rely on not tipping delivery people.

Straight inflammatory, toxic remarks yet somehow you're all the better persons for tipping. If you say so.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has nothing to do with being cheap, and everything to do with it being unaffordable. It's not feasible to tip after three individual $4 fees, it's just not. Cut back on the fees and I'll gladly tip here and there.

Everyone keeps saying "go out and get your food" and that's moronic as shit because who wants to spend a fraction of their work appointed break traveling, waiting in lines, getting food, etc. That makes zero sense and all you guys' hot takes exhibit zero logic. These apps are designed for convenience whether you like it or not, and people are still going tip or not at their own discretion.

Convenience comes with a price. Otherwise stop being lazy and a privileged ass and do what most of us do, waste our lunch break getting food.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly dude, that doesn't mean much. If I get an order at a McDonalds that's 15 mins away, they're most likely bagged it up as soon as it came through. I get there and then my drop off is 15 more minutes away. So 30 minutes of your food sitting in a bag, and while I have an insulated bag to keep shit warm, it's not the drivers fault or responsibility of the restaurant to make sure shit is fresh. I do make sure everything is in your order because places ALWAYS forget drinks.

Yeah McDonald's food is only going to stay hot for like 3 minutes in that bag so I don't even understand why anyone would even order that shit delivery.

Like those fries are gonna be straight trash every time.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Is this an American thing? Delivery in the UK can be stupid expensive already.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Convenience comes with a price. Otherwise stop being lazy and a privileged ass and do what most of us do, waste our lunch break getting food.

Right. Like lol, it's called a fucking lunch break. You eat lunch during it. That's what it's for.

If you want to cut down on your lunch break if you're allowed to, you bring your own damn lunch and eat it at your desk like a normal person.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Straight inflammatory, toxic remarks yet somehow you're all the better persons for tipping. If you say so.

You are gloating about your lack of empathy for others and your need to place your personal crusade above all else. You quite literally bragged that you 'don't have time for that shit' while simultaneously expecting someone to do it for you for no payout.

Do you really think you're foolling anyone?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bike courier in Toronto and get tips pretty consistently. I'd say only around 15% don't tip. This is at the heart of downtown and most customers are 20 somethings.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For reference, my father used to deliver for KFC as a second job since my parents had problems paying the bills. He was getting paid 2$ under the minimum salary (since he could receive tips) but the thing is, he was getting maybe 4-5 people giving tips (around 10-20$) over a full 5 hour work shift every night, plus had to pay for gas.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I typically give a flat tip of $4 to delivery drivers (unless it's a crazy huge order).

This gets bumped down to $2 in Uber Eats because I'm getting fucked by delivery and service fees already on top of the food upcharges itself.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Bring your own lunch if you don't want to pay someone else to bring it to you.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Who wants to do this, so I'll have other people do it for me and then not pay them! I must have the biggest brain imaginable. If you can't afford a tip don't bother with delivery, I'm sure there's another option for you to obtain food that doesn't rely on not tipping delivery people.
You are still paying them though, I haven't seen a single service that charges the same rates as in the restaurant, and doesn't have a delivery fee.

But I live in Canada where, while tipping is pretty standard, it's not the end all be all because of update labour laws.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

If you are going to say stuff that makes you look like a jerk, then people are going to respond accordingly. You are free to say what you want, you are not free from other people making comments on those statements and even condemning them. Them condemning you for actions you did is way less jerky than you not paying some one fairly for their time and effort done to make your life easier. Especially when you come up with weak excuses to justify it that only show not only are you being a jerk, you don't want to be perceived as a jerk so you are not even being honest about it (to us and maybe even yourself... don't fool yourself, you are being a cheapskate that wants to pay people unfairly for their time and effort to do stuff for you).

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is this an American thing? Delivery in the UK can be stupid expensive already.

Yeah I think it depends on the country. Some foreign countries I've been to seem to outright discourage tipping. Like they'll run after you thinking that you forgot your money on the table. Not sure how wages are handled though. I'm assuming the ones that discourage tipping pay their employees better.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Yeah that's cheap as hell.
Microwave meals and homemade sandwiches are also convenient. (and cheaper)

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are still paying them though, I haven't seen a single service that charges the same rates as in the restaurant, and doesn't have a delivery fee.

But I live in Canada where, while tipping is pretty standard, it's not the end all be all because of update labour laws.

They wouldn't have a business model if they just delivered restaurants food for free.

I have a brilliant idea guys, I'm going to start a food delivery service, and get this, the best part is we won't charge our customers anything!

We'll be the only service on the market that delivers for free!

Brilliant.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I always do a flat tip of 4 dollars. Percentage tips are right out when you're ordering for multiple people and it cost of food is $60 while the amount of work is essentially the same.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
User banned (1 day): hostility
You are gloating about your lack of empathy for others and your need to place your personal crusade above all else. You quite literally bragged that you 'don't have time for that shit' while simultaneously expecting someone to do it for you for no payout.

Do you really think you're foolling anyone?

Nowhere did I say the quoted but did offer valid reasoning for the necessity of such apps in a workplace setting. And nobody's gloating so boofuckinghoo if I triggered you by offering my perspective on the statistics shown by this topic.

"I finally realized I sound like an idiot so let me deflect the conversation by pointing out that you said I'm an asshole" good one chief.

Because your self righteous ass decides every driver deserves a tip, I'm the idiot? Personal service is almost always purely subjective so fuck off.

Bring your own lunch if you don't want to pay someone else to bring it to you.

I definitely do more often that not but when I don't, I'm using Uber Eats or something.

Last edited:

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I also live in Canada, if you aren't tipping your delivery driver you're an ass.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It boggles my mind that people are so scared of talking to people they would rather use an app and pay a middle man more than what they would of had to tip a driver of the business itself to deliver the food. If you want Taco Bell or some place that doesnt normally deliver i get it, but local places that do delivery i always call.

I mean, I have severe anxiety and panic attack disorders, so calling is incredibly difficult for me to do, if you want to hear it from my perspective.

EDIT:
wasn't there an article or twitter thread recently that showed GrubHub or another delivery service charges their customers something like $2 and even if the customer tipped $5 or $0, the driver still ended up with only a fraction after GH took their fees out

edit: yes this is the NYT via the verge. NYT and the verge with no paywall

Oh god, that's... horrible if that's accurate. What the hell... This is like the stories I hear of waitresses that work at certain restaurants where they have to give up 50% or so of their tips, which they're already paid piss poor at those jobs to begin with...

Oct 27, 2017
I'll yup delivery people for like a pizza or a steak but I don't tip door dash or Uber eats. Maybe a dollar or 2. The service charge and delivery charges are already insanely high. Sue me

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you shouldn't tip doordashers unless its actual cash in their hand that they dont report. if you tip, DD takes it out of their delivery fee they're getting anyway, so its like throwing money away to DD itself, not the person

tip the person in cash
Damn that's pretty shitty. Glad I don't work for DD

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't there an article or twitter thread recently that showed GrubHub or another delivery service charges their customers something like $2 and even if the customer tipped $5 or $0, the driver still ended up with only a fraction after GH took their fees out

edit: yes this is the NYT via the verge. NYT and the verge with no paywall
Wait what the fuck?! The Verge article is from today! This is such a fucked up practice!

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Uber eats and all that crap is such a waste of money.

What did people do before these apps?

Stop being lazy and just order dominos.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
From Ireland and I absolutely don't understand this whole tipping idea. Sure I do it at a restaurant or bar when the service is amazing or if the staff are having to wait on a large party of people. But my delivery driver? Dude get's paid for his job, minimum wage at the very least with most of the ones I use getting paid extra every mile after 5 miles if they've got to deliver that far.

I mean I feel America could solve this situation by just actually paying it's workers like the rest of the world

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
America is Iike the only country that tips. Its the employers job to pay wages, not the customer

I detest the whole concept of tipping and I agree with you, but if you live in a country where tipping is a common practice it means the employees are getting underpaid as it is, and so by not tipping you're not screwing anyone except the employee. Systemic change would need to happen at the top, not the bottom.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere did I say the quoted but did offer valid reasoning for the necessity of such apps in a workplace setting. And nobody's gloating so boofuckinghoo if I triggered you by offering my perspective on the statistics shown by this topic.

Because you're self righteous ass decides every driver deserves a tip, I'm the idiot? Personal service is almost always purely subjective so fuck off.

Nowhere?

A whole lot of assumptions about the consumer's situation in the same vein that you assume the delivery driver is in desperate need of tips to survive, but I'll resign.

Complaining about people not tipping isn't going to make us anymore inclined to tip though.

Everyone keeps saying "go out and get your food" and that's moronic as shit because who wants to spend a fraction of their work appointed break traveling, waiting in lines, getting food, etc. That makes zero sense and all you guys' hot takes exhibit zero logic.

A volunteer employee's compensation for a self-service app shouldn't depend on the consumer at all.

You're telling me I need to tip because they don't make enough?

Lmao at the idea that you just shouldn't order if you can't afford the tip though.

Interesting perspective, for sure.

Feb 15, 2018
I detest the whole concept of tipping and I agree with you, but if you live in a country where tipping is a common practice it means the employees are getting underpaid as it is, and so by not tipping you're not screwing anyone except the employee. Systemic change would need to happen at the top, not the bottom.

It keeps wages low and because typing isn't mandatory, the workers get double fucked

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Canada has Tipping as a common practice, and(at least in Ontario) they're paid minimum wage($14) or alcohol wage($12.20). And because you can't serve alcohol in a vehicle, they're getting at least $14 an hour.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
If an employee is using their own vehicle to drive then they should definitely be tipped.

Honestly don't understand why waiters and stuff get tipped as well as they do versus delivery drivers which are literally putting their life on the line to bring your lazy ass some overpriced warm food

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It's quite amazing how companies in the US have place the burden on customers to pay their employees an extra fee so they can make a living.

Uber pays like crap but it's the customer who needs to cover the difference on top of the service they are paying.

It's ridiculous.

Dec 12, 2017
This is BS, because in cities like Seattle, where service people are getting paid $15 an hour, tipping is still expected. The argument that things will change when labor laws change is based on weak foundation.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's sad how many people are geared to think people are cheap for not tipping. You know who's actually cheap? These apps and owners who refuse to pay a livable wage and then pass the cost onto the customer.
The system is bad but it is already in place. By not tipping you're just fucking over the employee. The business doesn't give a fuck if you tip or not and they aren't going to change.

People like think by not tipping they are fighting the establishment when all they are really doing is justifying their own stinginess. Go pick it up yourself if you don't want to tip.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The system is bad but it is already in place. By not tipping you're just fucking over the employee. The business doesn't give a fuck if you tip or not and they aren't going to change.

People like think by not tipping they are fighting the establishment when all they are really doing is justifying their own stinginess. Go pick it up yourself if you don't want to tip.
If tipping becomes non-standard, then employees will leave jobs that require tips to be a reasonable wage, and employers will be left without employees unless they pay them a livable wage.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate this new service/gig economy, it really feels like something straight out of Roman/feudal times, and an annoying thing is all the urban white collar, highly paid (yet paradoxically saving almost nothing) liberals lecturing everyone else on "how to fix the world" while they themselves take full advantage of millions of underpaid people while apparently not even tipping well.

Its completely anti capitalist and I'd be hypocritical to support it but man I'd love for uber, grubhub, and everything involving "gig" jobs to be shut down.

and yes, the owners of all these services are bad for not paying a living wage. However, you can't escape it and say "well, i'll still use the service". If you use the services, you are part of the problem - it doesn't matter that you "have no alternatives" (YOU DO), part of doing the right thing is doing the DIFFICULT thing. I've never once in my life used an uber or a food delivery thing (never once had food delivered to me), and I live just fine. I cook, I buy takeout, I drive, I walk.

Sadly I think the fix will be all of this will be automated in the next decade... solving that problem, but making much bigger ones.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I tip in the app for most of these service/gig apps. I rarely ever carry cash, which is part of the reason I use these apps.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I only tip directly to the person, never via app. At least if I'm going to do it, I can know that it is going where I want it to go. Unfortunately I don't always have cash, but I try to have a bit around the house just in case.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that the article reads largely like its criticising people for not tipping rather than the employers for not paying their employees properly.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If tipping becomes non-standard, then employees will leave jobs that require tips to be a reasonable wage, and employers will be left without employees unless they pay them a livable wage.
And you're going to make tipping non-standard by starving all the servers and delivery drivers out of jobs?

So you make a statement by hurting the smallest guy on the ladder?

It's weird that the article reads largely like its criticising people for not tipping rather than the employers for not paying their employees properly.
See above

Pack your lunch if you don't want to waste your break or spend too much money.

If you can't afford to tip you can't afford to eat out.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
I always tip in the seamless app when I order since I rarely have cash on me. Does that not go to the driver?