• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sentry

Vigilant Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of days ago I was watching some younger cousins of mine and they asked me a question. "Why aren't there more people who look like us in the games you play?"
Usually they're both caught up in whatever kids do, but the question came out of left-field and threw me for a loop. The next day I came across this video.

This video encapsulates why representation is important in my opinion. It shows the power that a positive characterization can have. In this case Shuri has become a beacon for young African-American/Black women who in some cases don't have a positive models. In the case of video games I think we're making great strides in this area. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Also feel free to post what you feel are important or your favorite forms of representation in gaming.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
representation is vital

i'd love to see more romani playable characters in games

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't argue with anything you said man. I'd kill to see proper representation for Indians and south Asians in the medium, and the development of the medium.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100% but I also think historical accuracy is just as important. After all it breaks immersion to see a brown person wandering around in the background when my mage is battling orcs and dragons so it's important to find a realistic balance.

EDIT: I don't know if I could have laid it on any thicker but don't want an important thread to be derailed because you lot can't spot obvious jokes. THIS POST IS NOT SERIOUS. Please go and get your senses of humour calibrated please and thank you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want more diversity in games for two reasons.

1. Representation is very important for everyone, everyone wants to be able to relate.

2. Games are supposed to be an escape and in the best of times a window into other worlds and experiences, so why has the majority of games in my 35 years of playing starred white dudes. Even as a white person I feel like that story has been told ad naseum give me something new already.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I agree 100% but I also think historical accuracy is just as important. After all it breaks immersion to see a brown person wandering around in the background when my mage is battling orcs and dragons so it's important to find a realistic balance.
1BW4l2d.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I 100% agree & have been pushing for more black/brown representation (& representation in general) in games for a while. But in the case of games like Smash, the only way we will see real change with regards to representation is from the source (I.E. us getting black/brown main characters in other Nintendo games), especially when there wasn't much to go on back in December 2015.

With that said, even the little things can go a long way, such as the decision to make the Octoling Girl black by default.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OK. Please tell me you're fucking with me here because understand that somewhere out there I could read this genuine remark.

I'll just assume you are. Or I'm not getting a meme.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
In this case Shuri has become a beacon for young African-American/Black women who in some cases don't have a positive models.
I kinda hope that Storm becomes this as well once we get the X-Men in the MCU. She could have easily done so already if Fox had played their cards right.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Art is important because it helps people reflect on their own humanity. It reminds us that the things we feel aren't isolated, but connect us to other human beings.

How do we achieve that if our art doesn't reflect ALL of humanity?

Oct 28, 2017

Wait, did you just say historical accuracy and orcs and dragons in the same sentence?

Like, lord of the rings actually happened hundreds of years ago? I had no idea that was a true story.

Edit: So it was sarcasm? I hope so.

OP
OP
Sentry

Sentry

Vigilant Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Art is important because it helps people reflect on their own humanity. It reminds us that the things we feel aren't isolated, but connect us to other human beings.

So how do I give the thread to you cause to be honest its' your thread now

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I could see someone spinning this into "Don't censor problematic artwork it represents all humanity" and completely missing the point.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all really can't tell sarcasm when you see "historical accuracy" and "battling orcs and dragons" in the same statement?!

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
In all realness, how do all these fantasy worlds still manage to have homophobia in them? All this magic, wonder, and endless possibilities and the writers STILL feel a pressing need to shit on lgbt people.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
That video is really something. That must be a hell of a feeling.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Hot damn. All I can add to that is representation in the studios matters just as much.

Last edited:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a beautiful video and I definitely agree with what you said.

The only thing I would add is that representing properly is as vital as representing. Learn from the people you are representing or, better yet, have those characters be written by someone that is what you're trying to represent.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all really can't tell sarcasm when you see "historical accuracy" and "battling orcs and dragons" in the same statement?!
Its the world we live in where these posts can be made seriously.

In a world like this, I feel it hurts the conversation to make these joke posts. We get enough real posts like that I dont want to see it again even as a joke. This thread will now be a discussion on that post.

Oct 25, 2017
In all realness, how do all these fantasy worlds still manage to have homophobia in them? All this magic, wonder, and endless possibilities and the writers STILL feel a pressing need to shit on lgbt people.

Games (and other media) reflect people that make them. That's why we have loads of 30-40 something beardy protagonists at the moment and that's unfortunately why homophobia and misogyny is still prevalent in a lot of games.

It's also why it's crucial to get female and minority devs/writers/artists into the games industry so we start seeing more of our stories told.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
luckily one of the only romani characters in games is a relatable character for kids to play as

marvel_vs__capcom_3__razputin_aquato_by_kingoffiction-dbnwav2.png

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ all the people who couldn't tell the orcs and mages post was obvious sarcasm. Holy shit.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
But I don't CARE about a character's race, gender or sexuality. I am okay with the deluge of similar fair-skinned male protagonists we've had so far.

As long as it's done well, I don't care. Just don't censor the creators!

/s

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Some of you can't read sarcasm for shit.
I could tell it was sarcasm, but I've had the misfortune of seeing a LOT of people post stuff like that while being 100% serious.

Anyways, I agree that representation is important. For my own small part, as a left-handed person, I always appreciate videogames that star left-handed characters who are NOT either villains or traitors.

Women and people of color have it a hundred times worse than me, but I can still sympathize over the importance of representation. It is nice to have someone who resembles you be treated like a normal human being, maybe even a main protagonist.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not realistic for a man to be able to take bullets and constantly heal himself with health packs or for a medic to be a white mage and wizard heal them up. It's also not realistic for a man with a shit ton of gear on to be sprinting around like he was Samurai Jack in the "Jump Good" episode.

People don't care about historical accuracy it's just a tool used to hide true intentions. Anyone rational won't have a problem a black guy or woman, or a trans women or man, or a gay man or woman, etc in a game.

And even then, they are games. They are meant to please us as people, as many of us as possible. Just let people be happy, let them be represented and everyone gets to feel welcomed.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
That was so adorable. Can't wait to see a similar thing happen with Captain Marvel, and later Ms. Marvel!

I think a nice little step many game devs could do to improve diversity is by simply randomizing what the order on the character select screen is very time you go to it in a game with a diverse roster. Don't always have the white male be the first character highlighted.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yes, OP. I agree completely. We need more diverse creators making games. I'm really glad indie dev has become so accessible to allow anyone to make their own games. I'm doing my part, but I'm not expecting much as far as representation goes in the AAA space even though it has gotten better these past few years.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
luckily one of the only romani characters in games is a relatable character for kids to play as

marvel_vs__capcom_3__razputin_aquato_by_kingoffiction-dbnwav2.png
I love this cheeky little shit. Raz is the fucking best. I only played through and completed Psychonauts for the first time three months ago, but I'm fucking excited for Psychonauts 2, especially with it exploring Razputin's Romani origins with his family.

pJYBdht.jpg

jokKqcg.jpg

KplBlvJ.jpg

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Just look at all the studio team photographs to see why diversity in games still sucks. Most of the time the large majority of studios are white men. It sucks.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hell yeah it's important. I've told this story a whole lot, but when I was a kid growing up, I used to love MASK. MASK only had one Indian character, and he was a sidekick character named Ali Bombay, but I thought he was the coolest shit in the world, because I'd never seen another Indian dude on TV kicking ass.

It always made me sad that he wasn't the protagonist though. It made me feel like I could never be the leader, or the hero. I'd always be a sidekick.

I grew out of it, and gained a lot of confidence in the process, but I don't want any other Indian kid to go through what I did. I want Indian kids growing up with an awesome Indian hero that represents all the positive qualities that heroes like Superman and Spider-man represent.

Can't argue with anything you said man. I'd kill to see proper representation for Indians and south Asians in the medium, and the development of the medium.
Yep, agree 100%. I feel like in American media, we're often times totally forgotten (until a taxi needs driving).