• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

This is the type of thing that gets me really exited for the near future. This will really help to improve the graphics quality and lower the production cost and development time for games.

Nvidia has created the first video game demo using AI-generated graphics

"It's a new way to render video content using deep learning," Nvidia's vice president of applied deep learning, Bryan Catanzaro, told The Verge. "Obviously Nvidia cares a lot about generating graphics [and] we're thinking about how AI is going to revolutionize the field."

"The structure of the world is being created traditionally," explains Catanzaro, "the only thing the AI generates is the graphics." He adds that the demo itself is basic, and was put together by a single engineer. "It's proof-of-concept rather than a game that's fun to play."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/3/...deo-game-graphics-nvidia-driving-demo-neurips

NVIDIA Invents AI Interactive Graphics

"Twenty-five years ago NVIDIA transformed the computer graphics industry by building the first GPU, the modern day tool of the da Vincis and Einsteins of our time. Now, a new deep learning-based model developed by NVIDIA researchers aims to catapult the graphics industry into the AI chapter.

Using a conditional generative neural network as a starting point, the team trained a neural network to render new 3D environments, after being trained on existing videos.

This AI breakthrough will allow developers and artists to create new interactive 3D virtual worlds for automotive, gaming or virtual reality by training models on videos from the real world. This will lower the cost and time it takes to create virtual worlds.".....

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-invents-ai-interactive-graphics/?ncid=so-you-ndrhrhn1-66582

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
ummm this is pretty crazy.... and kind of weird to think that in the not so far future the AI will be able to generate video game levels.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This stuff has extreme potential.

Sometime in our future we'll be able to tell an ai what kind of game we want and it can generate it for us.

Futurama had robot writers getting oscars in the year 3000 but i think we don't have to wait that long.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This stuff has extreme potential.

Sometime in our future we'll be able to tell an ai what kind of game we want and it can generate it for us.

Futurama had robot writers getting oscars in the year 3000 but i think we don't have to wait that long.

I was thinking exactly that. Games made just for you. 10 out of 10 games for everyone! :D

Check this video out so you can see where we are at this moment on that.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
This shit is starting to get really creepy...beam me up, Scotty! 😂

Oct 27, 2017
That's very interesting but doesn't that technology have the drawback that it only works with real world objects or locations? I mean you can't make a fantasy or Sci-Fi environment with that.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
That's very interesting but doesn't that technology have the drawback that it only works with real world objects or locations? I mean you can't make a fantasy or Sci-Fi environment with that.

We will eventually be able to train Neural networks with all of the fantasy or Sci-Fi content that is out there (Pictures, Videos, Books) and then create original content based on that. This is not something that is working perfectly right now, but the basics are there already for the technology to grow on.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I love how this video is like check out this tech we could use for procedural videogame environments, and then as a little aside at the end, also throw in how they could use it to forge evidence of anyone performing any action

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Man, even the guys who make the computers are gonna be out of a job when AI becomes the labor standard! We're very quickly hitting the point of no return, I was hoping I wouldn't see it in my lifetime, but here we are.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
So is the the AI creating the textures as well, or would artists still need to do that? Amazing technology regardless!

On this example the Neural Network was trained using thousands of videos from the Cityscapes, the content is segmentation based on type (street, car, person, tree, building, etc etc) once it has that information classified it is able to build and populated a city. So to answer you question, the textures are generated based on what it learned from the real word and I understand they can modify them as well.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this is fascinating. Nvidia is doing some really interesting work. I'm excited to see where this goes.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
This is nuts.

You could use it to replicate entire cities by using this deep learning technique with a database of procedural 3D models, such as trees, or cars.
They could pair it with a website that offers those.

This is going to cut down a lot of the budget for mid-sized games.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Doesn't look anywhere near prime time. The "deepfake-style" video of his colleague is worse than most deepfakes as well.

I am not impressed right now. Yeah yeah potential bla bla bla. Wake me up for v3.0.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Replicating isn't the same as creating. This isn't so unlike generating levels in Diablo or No Man's Sky. We are already doing that.

Teaching an AI game design... is a different problem.

Edit: Oh, and the article actually says the 3d lanscape is done manually as usual. The only thing AI is doing is generating and drawing textures on top of it.

I'm pretty sure we can stick to artist-created textures for a while, still. (or you'd have to scrap all lighting/raytracing whatever is used for illumination, essentially this AI stuff overlaps/replaces everything else)

Last edited:

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So when the robots wipe one of us out they can simply install an imposter as long as they wish.

Here is us taking a selfie with Ozzy, video of him dancing, he's a good dancer...see he's not dead at all. Beep Boop. Move along citizen.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Awesome. The beauty of it is that the graphics the AI generates don't even necessarily have to be amazing. Even when devs will have to clean up the visuals later it'll still save huge amounts of time, effort, and money. And if the AI can monitor those development processes, it'll likely improve even further.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how useful this could be to unique worlds, rather than ones based in reality. I'd hate to see even more modern and contemporary settings for games just because AI becomes a useful dev tool.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This one shows how they can edit and configure a scene. Pretty awesome stuff in my opinion and really shows how flexible this technology will be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Using AI to generate a second viewpoint can be a major leap for VR gaming. Assuming it's less intensive than traditional rendering, you won't need to double the processing load to create an image for each eye.

Yes, for VR this should eventually be a big performance boost. I love how Nvidia is really pushing machine learning for gaming.