• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Reset Era Players Present: Reign of Fear -- A D&D 5e Play-By-Post Campaign

Oct 26, 2017
996
Keranos spends day four on water-making duty, keeping pace at 90 gallons per hour for the entire day.

This time, he tries to be more theatric about it. He spreads the word throughout the caravan that there will be a thrice-daily show of miracles courtesy of Keranos, the True God of Storms.

"Behold, the bounty of Keranos!" he announces to whatever eager, thirsty crowd may have gathered.

He points an open palm at an empty barrel, makes a few flashy gestures, and a torrent of water materializes inches above the mouth of the barrel, falling into place with just enough flair to elicit an impressed murmur from the crowd.

He passes out replica holy symbols only to the most interested parties, as they are currently in very limited supply.


Performance: [1] + 4 = 5

...unfortunately, the people seem to be more interested in the product than in the packaging.


He still creates water every hour, of course. But most of the time it is without fanfare. A public showing every single hour would grow dull very quickly.

((Daily action is to create 1,440 gallons of water, or as much as can fill empty containers as needed. Try to attract some followers along the way, too, but fail miserably))
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
Considering the rough terrain and lack of a available foliage, Thosar changes tack and tries to help ease the way for the scouts by providing half an hour of flight for Galen.

Most of the rest of the day is devoted to providing guidance for Fheiss and trying to recall some useful information from his dreams. Something about settlers moving across the mountains perhaps?

((Portent rolls: 5, 10
Guidance roll for Fheiss: 4
Portenting History: 10+10=20
Galen gets 4 Fly spells over the course of the day.))
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
Fhiess' body begins to grow weary from the constant uninterrupted travelling that must be done. With each step his gaze is tasked between looking at the map then shifting his sight to the mountains aside them. He lets out a longing sigh. All he would have to do is stop moving; stop moving for just a day to set up his easel and canvas then capture the landscape before him under the sleepy morning, instruct actors to act as the settlers in the distance, and recreate history. Skullcrusher longs to be Fhiess again, a simple painter with only inspiration to aspire to.

With Thosar's guidance, he attempts to determine where it would be best for Galen to first scout after comparing the map to the mountain before him.


Nature check: rolled 15. (9, 6) with Guidance = 19

EDIT: <I forgot to mention that I'll also be using Enhance Ability on Galen>
 
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
547
((I was actually going to ask -what, two days ago now?- about how how a scouting and hoping to find fast ways through the mountains roll would go with both Fhiess' and Thosar's actions affecting it, but I fell asleep instead. I can ask now that I have just finished whatever it was I did throughout yesterday. Or something like that.))
 
Nov 2, 2017
130
The steep incline is less than comfortable for Ludwig, but he carries on with purifying what food is available to cleanse and doing upkeep on the wooden goods of this trip.

As it is an uneventful day, he spends most of it trying to teach whoever will listen about woodworking so they can take on more of the work, while lecturing about the glories of the free market and capitalism. Given his tendencies to derail himself and go on tangents, this is probably a 60/40 split, respectively. Though even if he doesn't impart a lot of of good carpentry knowledge, he's hoping that the people traveling here stay anti-government.

((19 + 5 for 24 total on persuasion roll.))
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
((I was actually going to ask -what, two days ago now?- about how how a scouting and hoping to find fast ways through the mountains roll would go with both Fhiess' and Thosar's actions affecting it, but I fell asleep instead. I can ask now that I have just finished whatever it was I did throughout yesterday. Or something like that.))
((Well normally I would say Thosar casting flight would grant advantage, but then so does Enhance Ability, and advantage doesn't attack, sooooooo... Pick whichever you want for flavor purposes, I guess?))
 
((Had a lousy 14 on my perception (smelll) roll))

With their track reaching the mountain pass, Sagishi continues to roam the immidiate surroundings, but with the lack of vegitation the number of game to be found has decreased drasticallly and most of the trails that Sagishi comes across have long gone cold.
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
((Fheiss is giving Thosar enhanced ability, so I'll actually roll it. Rollin History:
1d20+10=27
1d20+10=28))

Fheiss' spell shakes the dust from Thosar's mind, giving him some clarity that was escaping him.
 
Oct 31, 2017
547
Galen has never actually been subject to a Fly spell before, but it can't be too hard, can it?

He takes to the air carefully, even using the rocky walls to give himself momentum at times, and looks about below for any sign of some way to arrive at their destination faster.


((
Clearly the better of the two: [3]+6=9
Flight Advantage:[15]+6=21

And because Galen can't do this without stealth, and that is almost certainly at Disadvantage:
[11]+6=17
[20]+6=26

And, hey, I had a perfect roll! Imagine that.))
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
The fourth day is a stark contrast to the previous three, making the relative hardships seem like pleasant memories. The incline is steep, and the extra exertion is burning through supplies at a faster rate than previously. Keranos has little success in tending to the spiritual needs of the men, but is successful in keeping them well supplied in water. It’s appreciated, but one does not ascend a mountain on water alone.

Thosar and Galen attempt to garner some sort of intelligence that will allow the march a greater margin for error, but are stymied. Thosar is able to recall a surprising amount of detail about traffic across the mountain range, but it has historically been limited to parties of no more than 50, attempted mostly during summer, and usually undertaken with the benefit of wheeled conveyance. To say the march does not meet these parameter is an understatement. Undertaking the power of flight from Thosar’s magic, Galen soars into the air in search of easier traversal through the path, but is stymied. Unless Thosar has the ability to cast mass polymorph to turn them all into mountain goats, the way forward is singular and unvarying, a tributary of humanity winding through the mountains.

Speaking of mountain goats, Sagishi gets enough of a whiff of their passing to know that they are long, long gone from the area, having moved on to… wherever the hell mountain goats go. How should he know? He’s not some sort of… animal… stuff… knowing guy. His nose is fine, shut up!

Fhiess has a bit more success, and finds a bland mushroom that lives in shaded underhangs and crags of rocks, and soon the walls and rocks of the narrow pass are scoured clean of the stuff, but the fight to keep everyone fed is a one of attrition. Ludwig, meanwhile, seems to keep spirits up by stoking the fires of rage against the machine. Surely nothing ill can come of people being educated on their fundamental, inalienable rights. Right?

The hardship is, obviously, not a comfortable state to be in, but it seems sustainable. The fact that there is a finite end to the exodus helps things immensely. They just might make it.

This optimism is wiped away early the following morning, before the sun has even had a chance to clear the mountains on either side of them, leaving them in frosty shadows. A rockslide tumbles down the wall in a deafening cannonade, drowning out the screams of the men trapped beneath the stones. No fewer than 50 are lost, and scores more are injured.

((If you want to take the time to clear the rockslide, it will take the day unless you have some magical means of doing away with it in a relatively short period of time. Also, point of clarification, is Keranos creating water or purifying it?))

((Day 5
Supplies: 7
Morale: 6
Population: 1700))
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
((Are there a bunch of big rocks or is it more of a large collection of medium sized rocks? If they're big, I think reduce object would work to ease their movement. For masses of smaller rocks, thunderwave would work since it pushes unsecured objects 10'))
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
Fhiess does his best to hide his now aching heart, knowing that many had just been killed without even deserving it. It is especially troubling knowing that he had led these men to death with promises of seeing their families and their lives restored behind the comfort of a new home.

But eventually his frustration breaks Skullcrusher's character. He cries out, "Why!? Why is it now that nature would collapse this way!?" He quickly looks around with a sense of gained paranoia. He wonders if the convenient timing means that this is some kind of ambush even if it did not work as well as their enemies could hope.


Perception: rolled 13. (7, 6)

<I'm not sure what kind of action I want to take, hopefully a perception check doesn't count as something that takes a whole day.>
 
Oct 31, 2017
547
((I was actually thinking Galen would look for the same thing.

Watch as he goes blind.))


Galen takes absolutely no issue with how well this period of travel has been going; despite his failure to find some better, faster way through the mountains. This is ruined by the roar of rocks falling in the pass, the screams of those doomed to die. Now, it is quite possible this is a planned ambush, and the first thing Galen has to to is identify the presence of any further threats.


((
Perception: [19]+6=25
For clarification, about how wide is the pass at this point, how high up does this new barrier rise, and how dense is this? Will removing some rocks cause the structure to tumble more?))
 
Oct 26, 2017
996
((Keranos has been creating water for the past 2 days (since I realized that was on my spell list), not purifying it))

The God of Storms is stoic in the wake of the tragedy. As panic erupts in his surroundings, he stands outside the triage wagon, allowing himself one minute of quiet contemplation and mourning. His eyes well up, but he wipes the tears away before they have a chance to streak his cheeks.

He springs into action, addressing his assigned helpers. "Alright, folks, this is what we're here for. Keep your wits about you! We must tend to the wounded! Be ready for a rush of patients!"

He magically amplifies his voice ((using prestidigitation)). "Bring all wounded to the triage wagon! I repeat, everyone injured from the rock slide can report to the triage wagon for medical care!"

He spends as much time as necessary distributing healing magicks to the victims of the tragedy, prioritizing the most life-threatening injuries. Every hour, he is able to heal seven people, and then he retreats into hidden-away quarters to rest for an hour before doing it all again, relying on his assistants to tend to everyone during that hour. It is a grueling process, and he hates having to hide away for so long, but the process is necessary in order to provide a maximum level of care.


((As stated, Keranos is healing 7 people per hour, then resting, then repeating. If at any point there is no one left in need of a healing spell, he uses the rest of the day to create more water))
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
<I'm waiting to know what perception brings up and if Perception counts as "today's" action for Fhiess (I might still do an action that sensibly takes longer if that's not the case).>
 
Nov 2, 2017
130
((If the largest rocks are beach ball sized, they're probably significantly below Ludwig's carry weight. How easily could he bat a bunch of them aside? Trying to think of what else he could do besides that and helping with healing))
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
((I think Ninja pegged the weight of the large ones at ~400 lbs in the channel. Ludwig could tow that (or conceivably push it off a pile if he reared up on his hind legs), certainly, but he's probably not going to just swat them out of his way very easily.))
 
Oct 31, 2017
547
((Great. So this is how the world ends.))


While it probably has nothing to do with this rock slide, Galen examines the nefarious substance, motioning Thosar over to get the scholar's thoughts as well. It won't do to ignore this if it turns out it eats people.


((Time for one of Galen's famous nature rolls!
No modifier possible to storm gods and men will allow Galen to determine the evil nature of this stuff when the die gives him a two. Unless you're a Bard; they can make their modifiers work.

Nonetheless, Galen does have a thought about removing rocks.))
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
((nature roll 15+7=22
Religion roll 12+7=19
DC 15 Thunderwave on the rocks that are safe to blast.))
Thosar looks over the mold, pondering it's relevance. After determining it remains safe to do so, he uses his magic to blast the rocks away to clear the road for the rest of the wagons. He provides final rites for any remains and keeps to purifying food and water for the remaining people.
 
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
130
Ludwig lets out "Oh shit!" as rocks fall and peasants die. He's about to run over to help drag them away when Galen and Thosar seem to be taking a look at something on them.

He tilts his head, unsure of what they're doing, and asks "Uhh, so is it not safe for me to be touching those or something?" He'll help move rocks if Thosar's blast doesn't take care of it. Otherwise, he doesn't know how to help here beyond pulling the dead aside for a more dignified burial, and treating the wounds of those still alive.
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
If something had conspired to ambush the march, they don't appear to be following through on it at the present moment. Acting to regain his composure he starts to motion to many of the men before him, "We can clear out the rocks if we all work orderly and with all of our numbers!" He points to some of the smaller rocks and heaves any one he can pick up, then carries it to the first that can take it, "Everyone, take the rock from the person in front of you and pass it back, and the J'Raffa will help with the larger boulders. If everyone does this we can eventually make it through and find many of the bodies."

Persuasion: rolled 16. (7, 9)
 
Nov 2, 2017
130
With getting the rocks moved seeming like a priority, Ludwig says a blessing prayer to bolster himself and gets to moving any bigger ones that Thosar's spell didn't disperse, stopping to remove bodies as he comes along them.

The lack of hands and good leverage proves to be a problem here, most likely requiring aid from ropes tied to him and the boulders to get anything done.

((Ludwig cast bless on himself, 2 + 4 + 6 for 12 total

EDIT: Oh yeah, bless is for attacks and saves only. So 8 total unless he gets hit with guidance))
 
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
636
((The light, it burns us! Hey everyone, hope y'all like the story and ideas so far. A fair amount of ooc party chat goes on in the discord, which is open to any interested, but we make sure to put any in character actions on the board.

For those of you not in know, play by post RPGs are one of the oldest online gaming activities in history, dating back decades ago. This was before graphic interfaces were a thing and everyone used phone lines to send what amounted to text messages across several servers around the world. The same troubles of coordinating everyone and getting a strait story out of a game have been eased with all the modern conveniences of today, but they still remain and requires a little patience and dedication.

In the end, it's a lot of fun and an interesting exercise in cooperative creative writing, I encourage anyone interested to try it out, join a game, or even host one.))
 
Last edited:
Sagishi barely relaizes the day passing. Like everyone else, he does his best to help clear the way of the falling rocks until every muscle in his body is screaming with pain. The work seems to be endless and is not made easier by the discovery of those unfortunate to be caught directly under the landslide. In 86 years Sagishi has seen his share of the many different forms that death can take and he could have done without adding this particular picture to the gallery.

Night falls and calling the mood in their camp subdued would be a massive understatement. True, it had never been really merry to begin with given the circumstances of their departure but the events of the day have
undoubtedly taken yet another toll on the men and women.

Despite being in pain and exhausted Sagishi slips into a group of people gathered around one of the larger fireplaces solemnly slurping mushroom and rat stew.

He grabs a bowl himself and when he sees the eyes from the others rest on him puts on the brightest smile he can as he puts a spoon full in his mouth.

“You know, this isn’t quite bad. I used to prefer my rats roasted, but I think I’d might need the recipe for future uses.” If he expected roaring laughter he’d bitterly disappointed, but there are a few weary smiles directed at him.

Sagishi feels like this people are in desperate need of another inspiring Skulllcrusher speech, but the aftermath of the landslide has visibly taken a toll on the bard and to be honest Sagishi is already proud and impressed that Fhiess has been holding it together as well as he doing.

He takes another few spoons of the stew while he ponders what to say next. If Skullcrusher is unable to talk himself up at the moment it looks like his friends must take over.

Sagishi sighs deeply and looks up at the stars above.

“When I was young I used to look up at the stars for guidance,” he starts. “Whenever I felt lost or unsure I would gaze up and imagine the lights to be the eyes of those that have come before, watching over me. These days when I look up though, I sometimes feel like the lights have gone less bright and I have wondered whether it means that those watching over us from the heavens have forsaken us.”

He pause and watches as the people around the fire look up at the heavens themselves.

“But that was before I met Skullcrusher. Whatever lights are missing from the firmament above us, they aren’t gone. No. I strongly believe that they have simply lend their power and guidance to young Skullcrusher so that he can shine brighter and be a beacon to us in this dark times.

“I have traveled with the man longer than any of you here and I have witnessed the influence of a higher power that steers his every action. His heart and his passion have let me and my friends of many a dangerous situation even when things were most dire. There isn’t a single one in our group that does not own his life to him in one way or another.”

Sagishi looks at the stars once more, for theatrical emphasis before continuing.

“So this days, when I fell lost and helpless, I don’t look to the stars anymore. I look to Skullcrusher.”

He falls silence and finishes his meal. When he is done he bits a good night to the people before walking to another camp fire and repeats his little speech. By the time he has made a sufficent round of the camp to spread his message, it is already late into the night and he falls onto his bed roll exhausted, hoping that the next day will hold no more terrible surprises for them.


((Had a deception roll of 27 (18+9). For those that might be watching we are using a roll bot in the discord channel to roll dice. It is yet to be determined whether or not the bot is actually random or indeed sentient and secretly influencing this campaign and just so to maybe further make it clear, the 18 was the roll on the D20 die and the 9 is the modifier my character has on deception checks because he is a thief and a pretty good liar.))
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
The narrow mountain pass echoes with the peals of thunder as Thosar dislodges the largest of the boulders to help uncover the dead and dying caught in the rockslide, while Fhiess organizes a something not unlike a bucket brigade, only instead of passing buckets of water from one person to another to put out a flame, they’re lifting the smaller rocks and passing them along to deposit them elsewhere. A crude harness of rope and leather is fashioned in a hurry and strung over Ludwig’s shoulders, but its hasty construction and the heft of the boulders to be moved means he doesn’t make much progress. Keranos, standing at the ready, begins an immediate triage to bestow his healing powers upon those who are not already lost to the world while those for who help has arrived too late are laid out in a neat row with cloaks draped over their corpses to hide their faces.

Despite the day’s hardships and horror, Sagishi manages to keep hope alive by telling tales of the leadership of the increasingly mythical figure of Skullcrusher. As night falls, he tells his tales to a rapt audience, illuminated from below by the meager fires of burning scrub brush. He is in the middle of one such story when a cry goes up from the leading edge of the camp. The crowd readily parts to make way for the Endowed to see to the latest crisis, which appears to be the intrusion of about a half dozen dwarves wearing wide, round hats and wielding crude spears. Only as they draw near does the identity of interlopers become clear.


Impossible as it seems, a party of motile mushrooms has arrived. A constant dusting of spores drift down from the gills that line the underside of their caps, and they have lines and unique patterns of faint bioluminescence tracing over their bodies like biological tattoos. They possess eyes, but lack mouths or ears. Clearly, they can communicate with one another, but the men who first encountered them are not having any luck getting anything across to them, nor are the mushrooms getting anything across to the humans.

They do seem intensely curious about the veritable army that has appeared in the mountain pass.

((An interlude before the next day, depending on how things go.))
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
After long and tiring day of blasting boulders, the scholar is in no shape to push further. He mostly slumps into a quiet corner and tries to stay out of the way after purifying any food or water needed.

When the strange creatures make an appearance, however, Thosar hops up to approach, immediately trying to recall the nature of the beings that have appeared before the camp.

((Nature roll: 14
Insight reroll: 21))
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
Fhiess twitches..

He mutters to nobody in particular and without explanation for what he thinks, "They.. they're giving us a chance to explain ourselves, but.." He then questions, "If they were the ones that had killed the many men then would it be so wrong to chop them into many fine meals?"
 
Oct 26, 2017
996
Keranos looks at Fhiess with mild disgust. Grateful for the communication gap, he ignores the insensitive comment and directs his attention to the visitors.

Welcome, he broadcasts into the mind of whoever looks the most like their leader (if none of them stand out then he just picks a random one). We mean you no harm. May I cast a spell to read your thoughts? If you accept, raise your arm and think about what you'd like to say to us. If you do not accept, cross both arms.

If he gets a favorable reply, he casts Detect Thoughts on the taciturn treant.
 
Sagishi can't help but mumble an exasperated, "What now?!", when the ruckus starts at the other side of the camp. He gets up from his place at the fire and makes his way across to where the commotion is located.
Fearing the worst he his relieved to see that the cause seems to be nothing more than a band of little mushroom people. He actually thinks them rather cute with the colorful lights that zig-zag their bodies and he wonders what it might be that makes them glow. Maybe if they told him he could use it for his fireworks...
He is interrupted in his thoughts by Fhiess's suggestion of a dietary change. Appalled he nudges the bard in the ribs with his elbow.
"Dude! Look at them. They are tiny. Even Ludwig wasn't able to haul some of those boulders. How could those little guys have managed that."
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
The bard yelps painfully, wrapping his arm around himself to grasp what only feels to him like a now 'injured' rib. "I- I suppose you have a point," he says with a grimace, "So if these little creatures aren't our foes, what if they know who are?"
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
One of the mushroom creatures reacts to Keranos’s inquiries with a strange shudder that releases a cloud of luminous blue dust from beneath its cap that spreads out around him. Those exposed find that they are suddenly hearing the thoughts of everyone else within a certain radius, which causes no small amount of confusion at first, but after a few minutes of crosstalk and exiling enough people beyond the range of the effect, things become more manageable.

The thought processes of the mushroom men are alien and difficult to understand. Not having a language, they don’t have words to express themselves with, per se. Their senses and perception differ enough from the baseline humanoid that even if thoughts of images or tactile sensations are rather inscrutable. However, communication in terms of broad concepts appears to be possible, so a general sense of the outline of their thoughts eventually emerges.

They have come in the name of curiosity at the activity above the surface, presumably having heard the rockslide and the efforts to remove it in their subterranean lairs. There is excitement about hands, and they repeatedly take those of their interlocutors and seem to count the fingers, as though they cannot truly believe that everyone has five upon each hand. What passes for a conversation concludes with them projecting a desire to be followed so they can ask a question.
 
When it becomes clear that the strange creatures want them to follow, Sagishi is brimming with excitement. He can't even begin to imagine how creatures such as these might live and how their dwellings would look like, maybe they glow just as bright as their inhabitants?

"Take the lead then!" he tells the creatures in an unnecessary loud voice emphasized by an equally unecessary and exaggerated gesture.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
((Thosar's nature roll is enough to identify these creatures as myconids. Their spores can create a variety of mental effects, as demonstrated with their ability to establish a telepathic connection with everyone in range, but they've also been known to use that same ability in a defensive capacity to stun attackers. They don't venture to the surface very frequently, and when they do it is generally only at night, as direct exposure to sunlight for more than an hour is lethal.))
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
"Seems safe enough, and I'm curious about what these mushroom people are asking about. Let us investigate!" Thosar moves to follow the creatures back underground.