• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Reset Era Players Present: Reign of Fear -- A D&D 5e Play-By-Post Campaign

Oct 25, 2017
636
Thosar nods and takes in the ideas. "I agree that we could use the help, I suspect any take over occurs when an individual is taken alone, so I think it's best we move in strength. However, approaching the problem in force would be a very obvious action, which may be why there was little response during your first foray there. Having your men secure a perimeter while we approach, perhaps with a few of your best would be practicable?"
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
"Ah, wait.. don't you remember how strangely the jester acted when we had arrived at his tower? He seemed to have expected us but at a much later time. This might seem a bit of an assumption, but.." He places a curled finger under his chin, "What if they are choosing not to act until we, the Endowed, arrive to investigate?"
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
Crullus absentmindedly scratches the side of his neck as he nods to Thosar's words. "Yes," he muses, "a rear guard action to ensure nothing tries to sneak up on us while at the same time approaching with a smaller, more easily concealed force. Prudent thought, that, most prudent."

Fhiess's comments elicit an expression of epiphany. "You mean these towers might be nothing more than lures? Traps to be sprung when those such as us march forth to vanquish their supposed threat? An intriguing hypothesis. Am I to understand then that you would favor my original course of action in securing the Free People's settlements and adopting a defensive position?"
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
"Ah, no," he quickly interjects, "I don't mean to imply they do nothing -- the tower we were at was the cause of a trail of energy in the sky, but our arrival was a consideration for them."

When he is given an option to instead secure settlements, he responds, "I would like to hear from one of the Free People themselves first, and leave the decision to Thosar or Galen."
 
Oct 26, 2017
996
Keranos's nostrils flare briefly when Fhiess neglects to name him as a worthy decision maker, but he lets it go. Now is not the time.

"Governor," he says, rising and clearing his throat. "Here is what I suspect will happen when we approach the spire. I suspect that the barrier of which you speak will do nothing to prevent our passage. I suspect that when we reach an appropriate distance from this spire, a bothersome ally of the clown will reveal himself or herself, and boast of our imminent demise. Perhaps the villain will attempt to hold magical sway over one or more of us.

"We will crush the pest under heel, the spire will crumble, and we may all get on with our lives." He scans the room for reactions before concluding. "I see no problem with approaching some of the Free People along the way, as Fhiess suggests. Reconnaissance is always useful. I suggest we take the evening to prepare and rest, set out at first light, and get this whole dreadful business over with. You are your Shining Guard are more than welcome to accompany and support us as you see fit, but what we cannot abide is to take up a defensive position and wait for something to happen. That's simply not the way we do things."

He sits back down and takes a bite of rice and beans, listening for replies.
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
Thosar absentmindedly stirs his meal a bit while looking down at it. "All well and good that our group heads out to take care of things, but it's a good idea to ensure that there will be something to return to after all is said and done. Crullus is best positioned to defend what remains of the kingdom here while we attack the source." He looks to Fheiss. "It appears that fear is its weapon and the varieties of fear are what the towers and their masters represent, so getting a sense of what sorts of fear the Free People are under will give us an indication of what we face here. If the presence is distributed, as I am concerned it is, we'll need a strategy to contain or remove it. Not every enemy can be destroyed so simply as to be faced in open combat. If we do have a strait fight to deal with, the governor and a few of his best will be quite valuable in handling it."
 
Nov 2, 2017
130
Ludwig picks away at his food as the others talk strategy, pleased enough with the meal as one who's generally an herbivore anyway. As the conversation goes on, he pipes up.

"Ok, yeah, we will have to figure out how to bypass this spire's gimmick, and the whole needing to target people one at a time makes sense to me. There's merit to you staying here to defend your holdings, or in coming with us with some shining guard. I'm all for not being the only one throwing smites around out there. As long as we're all cool with the possibility of one of us or one of you having to get subdued, I don't object either way."

"One thing though... tell me more about this free people? What is it that makes them free? They're evidently outside of the empire, but have they rejected governments in their entirety?! It sounds like they trade, so they know the value of markets? I need to know if they're truly free!"
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
At Ludwig's question about the Free Peoples, Crullus unleashes a pent-up sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose as he leans back in his seat and closes his eyes. "That is, a... complicated question, master Ludwig," he says. "The Free Peoples are very loosely organized. There is some manner of central authority, but in practice, they're really more of an advisor of a disparate group of conclaves. I've never even met them, they conduct all their business of state with the province of Durmas through their emissary. Trade is completely decentralized, they've no industry to speak of. We purchase most of their agricultural output, but gods take me if I know what they do with the money. Probably melt it down into trinkets to sell right back to us.

"Young master Keranos's plan sounds a good one, though perhaps leaving by first light might be a tad ambitious. We'll need time to provision the journey downriver and secure a craft large enough to accommodate master Ludwig's... impressive stature. We could strike out just after mid-day, or even first light the day after. You'd have ample time to interview however many Free People you please, and maybe there are still some stores with items on their shelves that you might find helpful."
 
Oct 26, 2017
996
Keranos claps his hands together once, visibly excited. "Fantastic! Then let us plan to leave at first light, the day after tomorrow. We've no reason to rush things, so long as prudent preparatory measures are taken in the lead-up."

He raises his glass and nods, then dives back into his meal.

Keranos is impressed with Crullus's refreshing combination of amenability and authority. He is all too accustomed to endless bickering and resistance to any plan that anyone proposes. He wonders to himself if the Governor might be persuaded to join the party permanently.

Something to bring up on the road, perhaps.
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
"I would like to speak to somebody from the Free People's right away then. You said that it would be easy to speak to one yes? I'm sure it won't take so much of my time that it would prevent earning any rest."
 
Sagishi had been looking forward to reconnecting with the rest of the group, but things move fast and he finds himself only able to give a wave in greeting towards Fhiess and Ludwig before they are rushered of to the meeting.
He listens with one ear as he picks away at his food, wishing he had some rat to give it a bit more bite.
When Keranos offers up his proposal of dealing with the problem, Sagishi can't help but agree even if as usual the boys tone makes him want to roll his eyes on the most exaggerated way he can think off.
As Fhiess brings up the matter of the free people Sagishi chimes in. "Wasn't that young elvish looking fellow we saw earlier talking in the free people's name? Maybe we should talk to him? Seemed to me that he might have a slight different view on the situation."

(( If Fhiess decides to go and talk to him or any of the free people then Sagishi will tag along))
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
"Hm, I'm not sure who you mean since we had arrived late, but if you know of someone we could speak to then I shall meet them."

<Fhiess will go with Sagishi to speak to the free people representative>
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
“That would be master Ryder,” says Crullus, “the emissary I was speaking of. I suppose they think that his being half-elven and half-human means he comes across as equally vested in both states, but I assure you he is quite the avid advocate for his own people above the concerns of Durmas and by extension Telmur. Which is only fair, I suppose.

“Regrettably, I haven’t seen him since his audience this morning and wouldn’t know where he has gotten off to. I would expect him to be with the souls encamped outside the walls if he hasn’t already seen fit to take word of the outcome of our conversation to his superiors. You are free to seek him out, should you wish. The night is not so old that you wouldn’t be able to find others to speak with if you should so choose as well.”

((So presumably Sagishi and Fhiess are heading out of the fort, everyone else sticking around?))
 
When Crullus has finished Sagishi waits until it is obvious there is nothing more to discuss before he stands up, excuses himself and motions to Fhiess to come along.
Once they are outside the Kitsune smiles and gives the half-elf an affectioned hug.
"Sorry we didn't get to greet you guys earlier, glad you made it all through the mountains save and sound and I see you got rid of the make-up, so I take it Stonecrusher is burried for now?"
He quickly lays out the rather uneventful journey thorough thw tunnel, conveniently skipping the part where he almost fell down a mountain, no need to needlessly worry the bard.
"Well, and you already know the rest I guess. So, shall we go and have a stroll through the encampment outside and see if we can find this Ryder character, I talked about earlier."
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
Fhiess is surprised by the hug, but swings his arms to return it while answering, "Ah, thankfully. Crullus knows who I am and they've taken responsibility for the citizens that I'm free to be myself again." He smiles while saying that, his voice toned with gratefulness.

His take on the remainder of the journey is equally as uneventful, save for his own omission of the equine slaughter that was done for the sake of survival.

Finally, he nods, "Let's. You lead the way, it seems you've seen him once before."
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
The streets of Stonegate are noisy and crowded, easily on par with the crowds experienced in Castle Telmur that seem so distant past, though the architecture here is decidedly more utilitarian and has a dearth of aesthetic flourishes. The most recent refugees from Remdormo are easy to pick out, with their emaciated frames and sunken eyes, but it’s not as though the inhabitants of the city have excess fat on their bones either.

Forest gnomes, wood elves, even humans and stranger folk mix freely among the humans, and are easily identified as the Free People by their attire. They clearly favor leather, furs, wood, stone, and all manner of natural material. Their presence increases the closer one gets to the gates, which still stand open even as dusk falls and the Oneiroi reveal themselves. Beyond the gates is a veritable city of hide tents and braziers, the spaces between them trampled to muddy ruin.

If Ryder is still in the city proper or out among his people in the tents, it’s going to take some looking to find him.
 
It only dawns on Sagishi just how many refugees there are when he steps outside. He had a vague memory of what this Ryder fellow looks like, but that is of no help finding the man in the bustling chaos of the camp.
"I... err... He...kind of looked like you," he finally announces after 30 minutes of running around aimlessly (perception roll of 6).
"Maybe we should just ask," he finally offers.
Focussing on the first person that comes in his view he grabs them by the arm and asks, "Hey there. We're looking for a fellow called Ryder. He..."
Before he can even finish his question the person has wound out of his grip and moved on. (Persuasion roll of 5...)

((Fhiess needs to save the day here))
 
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
661
Sagishi's advice to look for someone that looks just like him doesn't strike much confidence. He isn't sure what Sagishi meant. Does he mean the ears? Hair? His face? He sees many that might share one of his features but don't completely look like him.

Perception: rolled 13. (7, 6)

Fhiess soon steps in when Sagishi grabs someone by the arm and immediately panics apologetically, "Ah! You can't just grab people like that when asking for their time." He looks to the person, "Please forgive us. You must be very busy and times are dire. We're adventurers looking to help Ryder and just wish to know where we might find him."

Persuasion: rolled 15. (6, 9)
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
Even as Fhiess politely disregards Sagishi's potentially racially insensitive remarks, he doesn't have much luck in picking anyone out in the crowd who looks particularly like him. The people he stops to ask don't seem to know Ryder by name, either. Considering Crullus's comments about the small size and curtailed power of the Free Peoples' central government, it may be that the average man on the street just has no idea that he even exists.
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
After being told that they don't know anyone named 'Ryder', Fhiess simply nods confidently, "Ah, well.. maybe there someone I may be able to talk to about the tower and everything that surrounds it? We're adventurers looking to learn more about the dangers that had been present lately. I'm interested to hear tales about what has been happening."

Persuasion: rolled 21. (12, 9)
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
Fhiess finds that it does not take much persuasion at all to convince the Free People to share their stories.

“They came in the night,” a male forest gnome says. He is unwashed, and a muddy little elven girl—clearly not his own offspring--clutches to his trousers as she hides behind him. “Without warning. Without mercy.”

“The forest, it protects itself,” says a man with slate blue skin. He is enormous, possibly some kin of giants, and it’s difficult to say where his furs end and his wild hair and beard begin. “The problem is, of course, trying not to be caught in the crossfire. Elementals, for instance… plenty powerful, but none too bright, and they don’t care who is in the way when their ire is raised.”

“It’s like the spire fell from the sky,” explains a gnarled wood elf clutching an equally knotted staff of wood polished to a gleaming shine by centuries of handling. “Cracked the world open and let the sordid contents of the Underdark spill out on the surface.”

“There’s not no warning,” insists a pixie that can’t help but remind Fhiess and Sagishi of the absent Peaseblossom. “Big people just don’t see it, because they’re too big. But the little ones go crazy before the bigger ones and other mean things arrive.”

“You’re intruding on what’s mine,” a human woman Fhiess and Sagishi are told is named Gwen sings to herself as she rocks back and forth on a stump, clearly traumatized beyond all reason by the events transpiring in this tragic kingdom. Of that, there can be no doubt. “And you’re taking up my time. Don’t have the courage inside me to tell you please let me be.”
 
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
661
It is as if Fhiess' world spins around him as he quickly discovers many quick to share their stories, but it is challenging to piece together the hints to understand what exactly they may be fighting. Fawks in particular pokes her head out of the bag to curiously look at the flying pixie.

He decides to return to the elf with the wooden staff for he feels that they may have a better understanding of the origin of the mysterious presence lurking in the forest. "Ah, excuse me but you say that whatever is in the forest might have come from underground? Do you know more about what creatures live in the Underdark or where we could learn more?"
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
The elderly elf seems to appreciate the opportunity to rattle off a story to the younger generation. Adopting a theatrical cadence with his face lit from below by the glowing coals of a brazier, he spreads his knotted hand out before him in a gesture to indicate the entirety of the world. “The Underdark,” he intones, “is where the gods saw fit to imprison all that which blasphemed against the light. The Drow were once elves no different than I, but they fell to evil ways and worshipped the darkness, and as such were banished from the surface with all the rest. To this day, they labor in the service of their dread goddess, the Spider Queen Lolth. Scheming. Plotting. Waiting for the day where they will storm to the surface in force once more and subjugate the light to darkness, eternal and everlasting.”

The elf abruptly resumes a casual posture and tone of voice. “Only I guess Lolth got tired of waiting and decided to cut out the middle man. Spiders, son. The woods are crawling with spiders and everything else that can spin a web.”
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
He smiles nervously and nods, "Ah, I should have guessed! What other creature could come from the depths and prowl the shadows of the forest unseen, patiently waiting, and inspiring fear?" While speaking he struggles to acquiese the prospect of hunting for spiders, massive ones like that. Although it is not one of his greatest fears, he already anticipates their scurrying and swift movements to be alarming as are their bites.

He looks to Sagishi, "I've found out more about what we have to fight. We should tell the others so they can know."
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
“You’re intruding on what’s mine,” a human woman Fhiess and Sagishi are told is named Gwen sings to herself as she rocks back and forth on a stump, clearly traumatized beyond all reason by the events transpiring in this tragic kingdom. Of that, there can be no doubt. “And you’re taking up my time. Don’t have the courage inside me to tell you please let me be.”
((This, incidentally, is me trying too hard to be clever.))
 
Oct 31, 2017
547
((I've got a couple things I've been meaning to ask: what's been going on with those who aren't looking for Ryder, and do the days in Stonegate waiting for the others advance Sagishi's longbow training?))
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
((I said you guys got there, what, 2 days ahead of everyone else? We'll let that count for longbow training.

Everyone has the run of Stonegate until regrouping to head out with Crullus. I actually have a list of magic enchantments available ala what was available in Bellows if anyone is looking to upgrade.))
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
((You have some random loot from the White Wastes--the stuff Coulro dropped and the crystal energy sphere off the top of my head. Don't think you got anything from the remorhazes, though I have vague memories of a roll trying to figure out what to do with their body parts that was less than successful))
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
((So 1100 from the bribe money, a cape of the mountebanke, pipes of haunting, an energized haunter power sphere. Not sure what we can get with the sphere, might want one of our more persuasive folks see about selling it. I'm not sure if Fheiss wants to keep the creepy pipes, if not they're worth 6,000.))

With the others busy, Thosar considers the party needs. "We'll want some better gear, perhaps if I can find a buyer for this...Ludwig, care to join me on another market venture?" He holds out the small, glowing hauntar bauble from the Wastes. "I'd bet there's a collector or research scholar who'd pay a pretty copper for this and we could use the funds."

If Ludwig joins in, Thosar will provide guidance on the particulars of dealing with asocial researchers.

((Roll to find an interested buyer, presuming an assist from Ludwig.
Investigation: 10
Advantage from assistance: 18))
 
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
661
Fhiess continues to consider the threat of spiders in his mind.. the more he thinks about them the less he wonders if it is something the party should be terrified of. After all, he has already seen giant scorpions before which are just as deadly and terrifying, and they had already encountered a dragon. In comparison to their last encounter the spiders seem mundane.
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
((Looks like if we sell the pipes we could afford a set of plate mail barding for Ludwig, if we get trade in value for his splint mail we could get a fair weather enchantment on it as well. He might not go down each combat!

Thosar could make use of an armor upgrade as well, ideally runic half plate.

Mike Is the clairvoyance spell available for copying?))
 
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
130
((Ludwig? Not falling in combat? What kind of madness is this?

And yeah, assistance with investigating))

Ludwig eagerly joins Thosar on appraisal duty. Nodding along as he gets advice. "Mhmm, yes, got it... so sticking my head through the window of their research lab and loudly opening with a conversation about rational self interest is DEFINITELY a no go then? Not just kind of?"
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
Oct 25, 2017
636
((Westreach enchantments are mostly unique compared to Bellows, though there are a couple overlaps where I wasn't creative enough to fill the slot with anything else.

The dice gods proclaimeth that Clairvoyance is available to copy. 18 is also enough to find someone to sell Ludwig's armor, but remember that his gear costs 50% above list price and takes time to manufacture because no one keeps armor for a giraffe in stock.))

((What is Sagishi's passive Perception, out of curiosity?))
((How about the glowing Hauntar Bauble?))
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
((The only offers you get are ridiculously lowballing you, clearly people hoping you don't know the value of what you've got. You do hear rumors that there is *someone* in town who might be some sort of aficionado who would appreciate what you're selling, but they're difficult to pin down.))
 
Oct 25, 2017
636
<I might actually hold off on selling the pipes until after the spider encounter because they might come in handy then. Afterward I'll sell them.>
((Spiders don't feel fear, they cause it.

))

The city here is familiar to Thosar, despite having left for Telmur decades ago. The cool mist and clean air are a welcome respite from the dingy tunnel. No amount of wheedling helps to find a truly interested party for the Haunter bauble, but at least they have someone to craft a set of plate mail for Ludwig... If they can get the funds.

"Last chance..." The library in front of the pair is a tall, narrow structure abutting the city wall. Entering with a sigh, he looks around. A lone woman reads by a wide desk near the front entrance, it's bulk restricting movement beyond, largely dominated by stairs and shelves. "What do you want? We don't have any more cookbooks. All the Free Peoples burned them, something about tree oppression... The nutters."

"Actually, I'm in need of Raelon's Remote Viewing manual, would you happen to have that available?" The wizard engages in the usual niceties of exchanging information, managing to obtain just the spell he is looking for. He lets Ludwig peer around the library while getting to work. "I'll be a couple hours here, why don't you try to find a buyer for our little trinket?"

When Ludwig returns with only partial success, he frowns after hearing about the last wildly poor offer. A bit stymied in attempting to find a buyer, he rubs his cheek. "Maybe Fheiss and Sagishi will have better luck finding someone."
 
Oct 31, 2017
547
((Twelve Days of Christmas for training prior to the Remdormo Incident would make this fourteen days. Are we still allowing proficiency after 30 days (as per post #1,479 pre-HammerfallExit)?

For shopping, upgrades for Ludwig would be good if we can spare the expense and the time. Galen also needs a component pouch nowadays. Is the power sphere really energized?

I've got nothing specific Galen's actually doing right now, but here's a low-power spider-knowledge pre-roll: 13+1=14.

Actually, I forgot, he's seeing if anyone's seen a giant bird recently.))
 
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
996
Keranos strolls through the crowd of refugees for well over an hour, taking in the scene and getting a sense of the pulse of the crowd.

Of course they're desperate. That much is obvious at a glance. What he is interested in is the fears, the hopes, the dreams, and the culture of these people.

As he drinks it all in, under his breath he practices the local dialect, knowing that these people will be more receptive to his message if he sounds like them.

Only one thing gives him pause as he wanders through the crowd, and it's enough to make him stop in his tracks and grow pale.

"I tell you what," he hears an old woman say, "If I never see another giant spider in my life, it'll be too soon."

Keranos can't say exactly why the idea of a giant spider evokes such a visceral reaction in him. Perhaps it was something that happened in the Long Ago, in the time before he was imprisoned by his arch nemesis. But the mere suggestion of a spider the size of a person produces such a horrible pit in Keranos's stomach that he very nearly abandons his entire plan and goes back to bed.

Fortunately, the horror subsides enough for him to get back on task. He finds a particularly elevated tree stump and clears his throat, then announces to everyone nearby, who quickly gather closer so that they can hear better.

"Free People of Telmur!" he begins. "For too long you have suffered! Alien invaders from another world have invaded, and seen that you are cast from your home. But fret not, for the reckoning of your tormentors is at hand! Keranos, King of the Pantheon and God of Storms, has returned from his eons-long imprisonment to deliver you from the madness which threatens to engulf these lands!"

His sermon continues for a good long while, but unfortunately the crowd does not seem to be particularly interested, given their robust numbers. By the end of his speech, a mere six Free People are still listening and appear to be interested in his message.

Mildly crestfallen, he steps down from the stump and hands each of them a replica of his holy symbol.

"Bless you," he says to each one in turn. To the group, he concludes: "Take heart, ye faithful: Keranos, God of Storms, shall deliver your homes to you. And when He does, I implore you all to spread the word to your fellows of the great blessing that He has conferred."

He bows to the six followers politely, and then turns on a dime to march back toward the castle.

((Persuasion check = 20))
 
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
((Twelve Days of Christmas for training prior to the Remdormo Incident would make this fourteen days. Are we still allowing proficiency after 30 days (as per post #1,479 pre-HammerfallExit)?

For shopping, upgrades for Ludwig would be good if we can spare the expense and the time. Galen also needs a component pouch nowadays. Is the power sphere really energized?

I've got nothing specific Galen's actually doing right now, but here's a low-power spider-knowledge pre-roll: 13+1=14.

Actually, I forgot, he's seeing if anyone's seen a giant bird recently.))
((The orb is charged, but no one has seen any giant birds this side of the mountains. Still looking for 30 days total proficiency in the longbow))

((Things are happening, will get a write up in when I can put the baby down))
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
Night fully takes hold, the sky fills once more with the intricate dance of the Oneroi in the heavens around the looming Nyx, the curvature of its sphere consuming a fair portion of the north-eastern sky. The lights of the torches, lamps, and campfires throw enough ambient light to obscure all but the brightest of the stars in the sky, though the occasional falling star is glimpsed, almost languid in their course across the atmosphere as they burn a blue-white so intense that it trends toward violet.

Their curiosities and tasks largely completed, the Endowed begin to make their way to the central fort of Stonegate. Thosar and Ludwig return after failing to sell the glowing Hauntaur relic for anything near its true value if such an item can even be said to have a price, though they did pick up on rumors of some unnamed individual somewhere in town who might have the means to recognize its true value and power. Galen largely keeps to himself, though while purchasing a component pouch at a leatherworker's shop he overhears the nature of the terror that stalks the woods. With the benefit of that knowledge, some of the bandaged wounds visible on the Free Peoples become immediately recognizable as spider bites, though rendered at an enormous size.

Keranos finds that the valley of Westreach is more fertile for plant life than it is perhaps for new religions (or old religions born anew, as the case may be). Still, a half dozen new believers is not nothing, and it is certain that when they witness the toppling of the spire as a result of Keranos's divine wrath that they will spread the tale of his deeds. Perhaps when next he passes this way on the return to the continent's interior he will find an audience a good deal less cynical when hearing the words of a god.

Sagishi and Fhiess make their way up the crowded streets to the fort, having been unsuccessful in their attempts to locate a man who kind of looks like Fhiess. But just when Sagishi is about to query Fhiess about what they might try next, he turns and finds himself addressing empty air.

As you pass a dark alley, a scrap of shadow detaches itself from the darkness and lunges at you, seizing you by the shoulders and slamming you against the wall of the nearest building. The stone is cold and unyielding, and the impact jars your bones and knocks the wind from you as the edge of a dagger is laid against your throat, its edge so razor keen that it feels like it will open your veins if you so much as swallow the lump in your throat.

Your assailant is a half-elven man in a hooded cloak. He does indeed look very much like you, if you looked completely different. He's taller, more powerfully built, his nose has been broken on at least one occasion, and he has a trio of faint scars on his chin like a beast has raked his face below his lip. "Why are you looking for me?" he snarls, the pressure of the blade at your throat increasing for emphasis. "Did Crullus send you?"

It would appear you have found master Ryder after all.
 
Sagishi is suprised when he realizes the absence of his friend. He could have sworn he was behind him only moments before. He looks around, but doesn't spot him anywhere.
For a moment he considers to just return alone, but the longer he stares at the Fhiessless surroundings the more he can't help but feel that THIS was not normal behavior for the bard.
He quickly looks for a suitable place to hide and turns into a fox, sniffing the air for the familiar smell of oil paints and nervous sweating.

((Stealth roll 19 and smell perception 18))
 
Oct 25, 2017
661
Fhiess is easily battered and beaten with a shove into the wall. From the impact his head bounces slightly, and narrowly escapes the impact of the stone and the puncture of blade's grasp by a thin hair. He once again feels his bones crushed almost the same way they were when the demon clown had thrown him like a corroded toy being discarded.

The bard struggles to fight tears welling at his eyes. Words mutter through trembling teeth, "I-I just.. The dangers..! I was trying to find out how to help without simply letting Crullus do whatever he wanted!"

He sniffs and breathes heavily, "Your elven side.. does it carry the freedom of the wood elves? You are trying to protect your people's history from becoming re-written as Telmur's history, aren't you?"
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike
Oct 25, 2017
1,912
Greater Seattle Area
It doesn't take much to find Fhiess, because he hasn't gone far. Not more than two dozen steps from where you stand, you catch the unmistakable smell of paint, mingled with the scent of someone who smells of leathers and soil. In the alley you find a hooded man holding a knife to Fhiess's throat. To say that their topic of conversation looks to be rather... intense... would be a royal understatement.

At the words "without simply letting Crullus do whatever he wanted," the assailant's posture relaxes, if only marginally. The blade is still held edgewise at Fhiess's throat, but no longer threatens to bite into his skin, and he is pressed against the wall with frim restraint rather than crushing pressure. "You're not here on his behalf?" he asks. "That's right, you came with the last batch of refugees. You're one of Skullcrusher's men, aren't you?"