Reset Era Players Present: Reign of Fear -- A D&D 5e Play-By-Post Campaign

Noisy Ninj4

Member
Oct 25, 2017
650
Seeing Ludwig fall again, Thosar makes his way closer to the fight and waves a quick mote of healing light to return him to consciousness again. "Caligo cumulus." He then breathes out a small condensed ball of fog that glides toward the fallen J'raffa and grows until it forms a large sphere engulfing everyone in the area. "Make your shots and escapes before the enemy moves!" He shouts out, before moving back between the undead archer and Sagishi, hoping to draw its attention while the thief behind him remains momentarily motionless.

((Move to J9, cast healing word on Ludwig for 4 hit points. Cast Fog cloud on intersection U/V, 10/11. Move to H10.
https://beta.ditzie.com/85200/5ceb7246142cf ))
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
611
Galen can hear the strikes of Ludwig's blade against Crullus, followed by the sound of hooves. This victory is short lived, however, as Ludwig falls again within the radius of the mad governor's aura of shadow. Not good.

The archer pulls back on his bow as Thosar speaks the spark of vitality and vigor back into Ludwig's bones, and he sends an arrow flying toward Crullus, even as Thosar's fog drifts over the area. Galen had really wanted to avoid Crullus' death, but times are desperate, and he looses another arrow in that direction.


((Two attacks on Crullus.
Attack 1: [10]+(3+3+2=8)=18
Known miss.

Attack 2: [14]+8=22
Damage: [7]+3=10
UA Ranger's Favored Enemy (Humanoid, in this case) gives +2 to damage. If we're applying that, it becomes 12.

Fog Cloud cancels out Advantage and Disadvantage alike.
No Hunter's Mark on account of Obscured sight.

Move to W, 17.))
 

ThLunarian

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,098
Keranos's lip uncurls into a smugly satisfied smile as he watches the enemy crumble under his godly might.

He returns his attention to Crullus once more, unleashing a pair of long-distance strikes through the fog cloud, again hoping to push him over the railing and into the tumultuous waters below.

((First attack: 13 vs AC

Second attack: 22 vs AC for 6 damage. Attempt to push him back 10 feet))
 

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
750
Although Fhiess is no longer in immediate danger, the trembling he feels does not stop. The sounds of his friends' struggle as he remains isolated away from them only spurs his imagination to further drive him to madness. The tears welling in his eyes aren't enough to cloud these visions.

With no power to help, he finally cries out. Pain and fright play the sound of his message. He yells out to Crullus, "Don't you see what you're doing!? The agents of fear want you to kill us for them!! They're turning you into their next jester! Stop it! Please!!"


<Spent an inspiration point to gain advantage on Persuasion. 24 was my highest roll.>
 
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
140
As has been tradition for some time now, Ludwig shakily rises to his hooves after getting downed yet again, seeing a good deal of fog and the shapes of some knights in front of him.

Figuring that at this point, the markets either will him to keep living or won't, he takes two weak swings at the enemies he can see, one attempt at swinging with his weight almost sending his sword flying away. The J'raffa half gallops, half limps away, preparing to make another stand that could be his last.

((17 on the first attack for 15 damage if it hits, nat 1 on the second attack. Can't interact with the map on mobile, but moving as far away as possible))
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,054
Greater Seattle Area
((Galen hits Crullus))

((Keranos hits Crullus as well, but doesn’t knock him off the bridge. Does an additional 2 points damage from smashing him against the railing, though.))

((Crullus remains unpersuaded by Fhiess’s efforts))

((d100 roll is merciful on Ludwig’s botched attack, nothing happens))

((Heavy Knights C & D make attacks of opportunity as Ludwig flees))

Code:
Heavy Knight C Longsword Attack:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 11
Code:
Heavy Knight D Longsword Attack:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 10
((Bow Knight C takes Thosar’s bait))

Code:
Bow Knight C

To Hit: 1d20 + 4 = 21

Damage: 2d6 + 4 = 13
((Spider Swarm A is still charmed, takes no action))

((Spider Swarms D-F move north, F attacks Sagishi))

Code:
Spider Swarm Bite

To Hit: 1d20 + 3 = 13

Damage: 2d4 = 6
((Heavy Knight A comes at Keranos and makes two attacks))

Code:
Heavy Knight A Longsword attack 1:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 11

Heavy Knight A Longsword attack 2:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 22

Damage: 1d8 + 4 = 9
((Crullus uses Lay on Hands on himself to heal up some damage. He moves his maximum distance after Ludwig and Galen, bringing his aura of doom with him. Uses the same shadow attack from before against Ludwig))

Code:
1d20 + 6 = 10
((Heavy Knights C & D pursue Ludwig, each making a pair of attacks))

Code:
 Heavy Knight C Longsword Attack 1:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 25

Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 = 16

Heavy Knight C Longsword Attack 2:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 14
Code:
Heavy Knight D Longsword Attack 1:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 16

Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 = 12

Heavy Knight D Longsword Attack 2:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 25

Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 = 15
Even swathed in the protection of dire shadows as he is, Crullus still presents enough of a target for Keranos and Galen to each land an attack, eliciting screams of pained fury from the wounded paladin. One of the Shining Guard takes advantage of Keranos’s momentary distraction to come up from around the cover of the stair case and engage in close combat, swinging a longsword with enough force to cleave through bone without losing momentum. His first swing goes wide, but he follows through on his motion with a second swing that comes much closer to striking home.

Fheiss tries to repeat the success he had in breaking through the Orc Chieftain imprisoned in a cage of his own fears twisted and warped beyond reason, but whatever process the Phobic Anima are using to pervert the cause of the Endowed seems to have been far more thorough in Crullus’s case. It seems unlikely there will be any reasoning with him while he still breathes.

A sphere of fog erupts on the third tier, covering for Ludwig’s retreat from Crullus’s personal vanguard of Shining Guard. In the murky gloom, he and the heavy knights trade blows, but blinded by the mists draped over them, no one seems to find their mark. Ludwig has strength enough to escape to the edge of the fog and out of Crullus’s aura of desolation, but no further.

Thosar, seeking to make himself a more tempting target than the temporarily incapacitated Sagishi, makes a show of himself before the remaining bow knight. The unthinking undead creature is more than happy to take him up on the offer, letting fly at near point blank range with an arrow designed to topple cavalry charges.

For all Thosar’s attempt to bring the heat off of Sagishi, the churning swarms of spiders on the paving stones don’t seem to be having any of it. The mass of them surges toward the perceived motion of prey, the leading edge of the masses crawling up, over, and all upon Sagishi, piercing his skin with tiny, venomous mandibles.

Using the railing of the bridge to support himself, Crullus pulls himself to a standing position. His hand alight with an impure glow of miraculous power corrupted by darkness, he presses it to his breast plate and begins to stand straighter and move more vigorously as he uses a portion of his Endowed power to knit his flesh back together and repair his broken bones. Like some sort of... unstoppable non-stopping guy... he pursues Ludwig into the fog as his shadows consume it. The sound of combat echoes from within as the Shining Guard once more attempt to engage Ludwig, the outcome of the battle obscured from all watching from without.

((Updated map))
 

ThLunarian

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,098
When Keranos is struck by a particularly nasty swing of the undead knight's longsword, he tries his hardest not to react, but in spite of his best efforts a displeased grunt escapes his lips.

Ignoring the gash in his side, he steps away from his attacker, knowing full well that he is leaving himself open to another attack - hopefully not a lethal one.

He knows that there is little he'll be able to do to his assailant, and he also knows that Crullus is almost certainly the driving force behind these abominations' animations. If they can just take out the leader....

Once out of range of the interfering interloper, Keranos lets fly another set of lightning blasts, through the fog to where he believes Crullus to be standing.

((Move to L26 and eat the attack of opportunity.

Target Eldritch Blast on W10.

First attack: 16 vs AC, miss.

Second attack: 24 vs AC.

If it hits, d10 +4 = 8 damage to Crullus. Push him back 10 feet in whatever direction makes sense, given our relative positions))


Map https://beta.ditzie.com/85200/5cf19308692d4
 

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
750
Fhiess falls to his knees. Whatever reasoning that had failed to impress the corrupted knight in return does not stop him from crying out. His voice beckons to the heavens in a desperate plea, "Ryder!! Hulna!! Anyone!! Please, we need your help!!"

<rolled 22 on Persuasion to convince anyone that might be hearing to lend aid>
 

Noisy Ninj4

Member
Oct 25, 2017
650
Thosar reaches a reflexive hand out to try to ward off the punishing blow from the archer's arrow, but in a split second decides against it. It sails right through his armor and cracks a couple ribs on the way through. The wind knocked out of him, he manages to hold onto the fog despite the blood gathering under his armor. Healing will have to come later, the others are too in danger for him to worry about it, which makes him think. "Fheiss, get over here already and heal some of us. A real leader shows others what can help!" He then shouts out to Sagishi, who is absolutely covered in spiders. "Sagishi, get away from those spider swarms and take out that last archer if you can. I'll sweep away the vermin that come out of it."

He rushes down the stairs past the archer and the swarms. Looking to his left, he sees Ludwig's prone form bloodied and battered sticking out of the mists. He sends another charge of healing magic to try to keep him on this side of the living. "Galen, if you have any way of slowing them down, now's the time! Let's buy Ludwig some space!" Once the Sagishi is clear of the swarms, Thosar sends his last fireball to roast any swarms remaining, hopefully removing the archer or the swarms it leaves behind.

((Move to H16. Concentration save: 1d20+2=18, Healing Word: 4 hit points to Ludwig. Fireball: 37 fire damage, DC 15 for half, centered on point 12/11, G/F at the height of the 3rd tier))
 

Nezumi

Member
Oct 25, 2017
824
Bad Soden am Taunus
Finally Sagishi regains controll over his body, only to see it covered in spiders. Annoyed he brushes them off and sends a bolt into the direction of the remaining archer, before following Thosars advice of clearing the area, just in time before the space he had left only moments ago errupts into a blazing hell of burning arachnids.

(Shoot the remaining archer. 19 to hit for 17 damage. Using cunning action disengage to not trigger AoO by the spiders, moving to M8 Updated Map, with Thosars movement included.)
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
611
The current situation does not seem to have improved, and the relentless advance of Crullus and his guard is certainly an increasing issue as Galen sees Ludwig fall once again. The problem, it would seem, is that the group cannot stop Crullus and keep Ludwig on his feet in this continued assault, especially once the governor reaches the J'raffa. Galen is resigned to run back to get the paladin back up when Thosar provides a similar quick fix.

Slowing these creatures down is not as viable as the archer would like, but perhaps at least one can be removed from the field...


((Move to S, 17
Attack Heavy Knight D: [10]+8=18
Potential Damage: [7]+3=10​
Horde Breaker Heavy Knight C: [8]+8=16
Potential Damage: [2]+3=5​
Assuming it still stands
Back to Heavy Knight D: [8]+8=16
Else, Heavy Knight C
Potential Damage: [2]+3=5​

Unfortunately, I doubt this resolves the issue.))
 
Nov 2, 2017
140
A magically imbued word gets Ludwig back on his hooves from the verge of death, still assumedly harried by the two knights within the impenetrably thick mist. He is tempted to continue attacking, but the last scrape forces him to admit to himself that if he keeps pressing and riding as close to the edge of death as he can, he's going to go over that line.

And it's not that time. Soon, but not now.

With visible frustration, Ludwig forces himself back up. For what may be the first time since they've began traveling together, Ludwig retreats from the enemies and back towards his comrades. Putting some distance betwen himself and the knights that are getting increasingly close to killing him, Ludwig charges away as fast as his hooves will carry him.

((Standing up from being downed, dash action to get as far from the baddies as possible. Updated map.))
 
Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
750
"Where are you, Thosar!! I can't see you from here!"

With most of the foes that would have tried to attack him no longer there, Fhiess begins to make his way back and try to get to the stairs.

<Was allowed to go back and re-take my turn after ending it. Using my move and move as action to go to C18.

https://beta.ditzie.com/85200/5cf83a339c166>
 
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,054
Greater Seattle Area
((Heavy Knight A takes an AoO as Keranos moves away))

Code:
Heavy Knight A Longsword attack:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 17

Damage: 1d8 + 4 = 12
((Don’t believe that hits, but there’s the damage if it does))

((Second Eldritch blast connects and knocks Crullus back))

((Fhiess is successful in summoning help, but they will not arrive until the next round))

((Thosar’s fireball toasts the spiders and Sagishi finishes off Bow Knight C. Just going to say that the armor retained enough heat to kill the spiders it would have spawned otherwise.))

((Galen’s attacks all miss))

((Heavy Knight A pursues Keranos and makes two attacks))

Code:
Heavy Knight A Longsword attack 1:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 14

Heavy Knight A Longsword attack 2:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 17

Damage: 1d8 + 4 = 6
((Again, damage if that hits))

((Heavy Knight D comes after Galen with two attacks))

Code:
Heavy Knight D Longsword attack 1:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 7

To botch: 1d100 = 34

Heavy Knight D Longsword attack 2:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 23

Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 = 16
((These guys are rolling max damage today, good lord.))

((Heavy Knight C follows D, but isn’t close enough to attack.

((Crullus takes a Dash action to get Galen within his AoE to make his melee spell attack move))

Code:
Crullus melee spell attack:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 25

Damage: 15
Seeking to do battle with the puppeteer rather than get entangled in the strings of the puppets, Keranos falls back from the menacing Shining Guard, the undead knight not missing the opportunity to take a swing at the young godling as he does so. With a clap of thunder, the swirling vortex of shadows is flung backwards as Keranos’s spell makes contact with Crullus at its epicenter and launches him through the air with a pained cry.

Turning to the ramparts and courtyards and windows of the fort, Fhiess makes an impassioned plea for assistance against the seemingly indefatigable might of Crullus and his enspidered soldiers. There is an answering ruckus in reply, and Fhiess can see the tips of spears over the heads of the onlookers and shouted curses as guards try to make their way through the throngs of people, but the crowd is thick and the passages are narrow, slowing their progress.

Opting to suffer injury instead of allowing the sphere of fog to disperse, the arrow from the bow knight’s greatbow pierces his armor and bites deeply into his flesh. Gritting his teeth, he opts to use a healing word not on himself, but rather on Ludwig to ensure the J’Raffa has strength within him to get away from the pursuing knights that seem so intent on cutting him down. He follows this up with another burst of fire precisely calculated to destroy the ever-increasing number of spiders and armored archer in their midst. Singed and blackened, the knight draws its bow and prepares to fire at Thosar, but a bolt through the head fired by Sagishi’s crossbow drops it like a sack of potatoes. What seem to be embers come pouring out, but upon closer inspection are revealed to be tiny spiders thrashing about as fire consumes them.

As Ludwig gains his feet once more and beats a retreat from danger, Galen opts to try to slow the deadly knights with a flurry of arrows fired from his longbow. While the ineffectual pinging of arrowheads bouncing off plate and shield are effective in pinpointing their location in the fog, but has little effect otherwise.

Unimpressed, unaware, or unconcerned of the dwindling number of allies, the Shining Guard harassing Keranos advances in an almost mechanical parade march, stepping into the last pace to swing his sword through the space that Keranos occupied only a heartbeat earlier, but following through on the return stroke in a bid to catch him off guard.

The remaining members of what have become Crullus’s personal vanguard march out of the fog and turn at the bottom of the stairs to doggedly pursue Ludwig. Finding the long-legged quadruped quite out of reach, however, they settle their attention on Galen. The lead of their number swings and misses so widely that it nearly knocks itself off balance in the process. But before Galen can celebrate the lumbering awkwardness of his opponent, it recovers and lunges forward with a deadly stab.

The dark manifestation of Crullus’s twisted will begins to move downward, and amidst the shadows the oathbreaker can barely be glimpsed to be limping along. But rather than take the opportunity to heal himself, he advances until his aura laps at Ludwig’s feet and consumes Galen utterly. Raising his empty hand before him, he faces Galen as though he means to crush him within his grip as he slowly clenches his fist. The shadows seem to gain form and press in around the ranger, seeking to crush him in darkness...

((Current map.))
 

Nezumi

Member
Oct 25, 2017
824
Bad Soden am Taunus
One by one their enemies are reducing, but the ones that remain are still pursuing his friends relentlessly.
Sagishi runs along the edge of the middle tier bridge in well distanced pursuit of their attackers.He has already taken aim at Crullus, thinking that taking him out might also stop the other vile creatures, when he sees Galen being attacked by the two remaining knights and taking heavy hits, he changes his aim.

(Moving to S8 and Critical attack on the heavy knight right next to Galen for 38 damage. Will hold cunning action at ready in case it might be needed)
 

ThLunarian

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,098
Keranos's armor deflects every attack from the abomination in knight's clothing. However, the attempted strikes were enough to divert his attention from Crullus, and now that he looks back, he finds that he has lost track of the foe in a cloud of foul darkness.

Changing tactics, he peppers the general area where he believes Crullus to be with a wide burst of thunderbolts.

((Move 20 feet to the right. Cast Shatter on V18, hitting Crullus, the remaining Knight, and whatever spiders emerge within the 10 foot radius.

3d8 = 13 damage. Constitution save DC 15 for half damage. Knight has disadvantage on that save))
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
611
With a quick step back, Galen dodges the knight's first blow, but it quickly recovers and strikes him with a powerful lunge. The shadow crawls over the archer's form, reaching out to squeeze the life from him, a constricting force to pull him into the embrace of death itself. It begins to pull Galen to his knees as the knight readies another blow.

The blade doesn't make it to him, as a bolt brings the armored creature crashing to the ground.

Galen looks up at Crullus, now a bit more visible, and he forces a couple steps back, raising his bow before breaking into a short sprint to ascend onto Ludwig's back, a pair of arrows thrown quickly into the veil of darkness.


((
Hunter's Mark on Crullus.
Move to P, 17; half movement to climb on Ludwig.

Shoot Crullus Twice. Pew pew.
Attack 1: [13]+8=21 [15]+8=23
Damage: [5]+3+[2]=10​
Attack 2:[8]+8=16 [15]+8=23
Damage: Miss
))
 
Nov 2, 2017
140
Ludwig sits tight for a few moments, catching his breath to make sure Galen is not in dire straits. When the ranger hops aboard him, Ludwig yells "Time to haul ass!" and bolts away from the combat on this floor, towards Fheiss and the remaining knight harrying Keranos in an effort to fully regroup the party in a battle that has been somewhat chaotic.

((Dash action to move 80 feet, updated map.))
 

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
750
Fhiess rushes to meet with Ludwig while at the same time casting a spell, "This isn't much..," he points out once he reaches the J'Raffa.

<Casting Cure Wounds, rolled a 6>
 

Noisy Ninj4

Member
Oct 25, 2017
650
With the others out of immediate danger, Thosar squares up and readies to stall for time. He takes the last stair down to the second level, sends a small mote of healing light toward Ludwig, and draws his sword,moving into position to intercept Crullus should he pursue the Jraffa. "This could've gone much easier, Crullus! The darkness clouds your judgement and you break your sacred vows under it's sway."

((Move to G18, draw short sword. Taking defense action. Healing word on Ludwig for 5 hp))
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,054
Greater Seattle Area
With a battle cry, a trio of spearmen push their way forth from the crowd. Lowering their arms, they rush the Shining Guard hounding Keranos, and with practiced efficiency use their attacks to knock the shambling horror off balance before levering him up and over the railing, sending him headlong into the rushing waters below, never to emerge again.

"Gods be merciful," the apparent leader of the trio says, removing his leather cap and holding it to his chest. "I trained with these men for years. Supped with them in the dining hall. To think that Crullus could--could do this to them. What kind of monster have we been serving all this time?"

Alone on the bridge, Crullus limps forward, his hand faintly glowing in the torrent of darkness surrounding him as he attempts to focus his attention on mending his wounds. As he steps over the ruined armor of his men, swarms of spiders follow after him, forming a crawling trail in his wake. The aura flickers, but only for a heartbeat before reasserting itself as strong as it ever was.

"You cannot stop it!" he howls as he staggers along. "You will damn us all, don't you see? Why can't you see! This is the way it must be!"

((Map. Not bothering to put the spearmen on it unless you guys *really* want them, as I'm pretty sure you can handle a baddie who can't reach any of you.))
 

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
750
As Fhiess continues to heal the J'Raffa, he calls out to Crullus, "Look at yourself! You are only one and all that kneel before your throne are mere bugs! This is what your very own Telmur would be like had you gotten your way -- alone and helpless!"

He continues to plea, "You've been defeated, but there's still a light in you that can continue to fight against the surrounding darkness!"


rolled an 8 on cure wounds for Ludwig, rolled 25 on persuasion
 

Nezumi

Member
Oct 25, 2017
824
Bad Soden am Taunus
Sagishi fumbles around his pocket for another bolt never taking his eyes of Crullus. While he isn't afraid of spiders like Keranos he can't help but feel like the sheer amount of them is starting to be somewhat unsettling at least. With eight legs to a spider ... just how many legs are there crawling around right now... Distracted by math that is beyond his capabilities Sagishi doesn't realize that what he thought had been a bolt was nothing of the sort and only when the little firework explodes next to Crullus in a flower made out of purple and green sparks he realizes his mistake.
The display is pretty, but ultimately harmless.

((Critical failure for my attack roll No movement at the moment))
 

ThLunarian

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,098
Keranos shakes his head. "You are defeated, Crullus," he announces. "Your Shining Guard has been brought low, and you have naught but a swarm of spiders to call your allies. Let us finish this."

He fires off two blasts of lightning into the dark shroud, but - perhaps because he no longer feels a proper sense of urgency - he misses with both of them.

((Failed both of my attack rolls with Eldritch Blast))
 
Nov 2, 2017
140
With attacks flying all over the place, Ludwig uses some of his remaining magic reserves to put an enchantment on Galen, trusting the ranger's archery over him trying to throw javelins from afar. With any luck, suppressing the effects of the fear aura will allow him to shoot normally. Just to be safe, Ludwig moves away a little so he won't get caught in Crullus's field if the cornered villain sprints forward.

((Protection from evil on Galen, moving to the edge of the map. Updated.))
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
611
As Ludwig positions himself outside Crullus' reach -a tactic Galen greatly endorses, as the near immediate downward turn of events in this current skirmish has proven to be exceptionally harsh on the J'raffa- the archer readies another arrow, trying to track the location of his quarry within the veil of shadow. Galen wants to keep Crullus alive, but the survival of his entire group takes precedence over that of a governor given to the service of the enemy, good intent or no.

Ludwig's spell washes over him, seeping into his very being to purge the darkness weighing down around them, and Galen releases his arrow, sending another quickly after.


((
Attack 1: [11]+8=19; [12]+8=20
Attack 2: 10 & 13. Just escaped the dreaded critical failure.

If that 19 hits, damage is as follows:
[8]+3+[2]=13

There's also the UA Favored Enemy damage bonus, which, looking back, Greater Favored Enemy ups to +4.
It's absolutely ridiculous.
))