• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The response to your sending is immediate. In your mind's eyes, you find yourself standing among the ruined columns beneath the slowly rotating eye of an ominous cyclone. The cloaked figure is directly in front of you, though its features and limbs remain hidden beneath the folds of inky black fabric. It's taller than might be expected, looming two heads above you and exuding a sense of intense interest laced with amusement.

Though it makes no motion, it gives the impression of gesturing to what you realize is the edge of the platform you're standing on. The view is impossibly high and impossibly clear: You can see the blight of the quintessential ash spreading across the interior of the continent with Phobetor's dark tower at its epicenter, but what draws your eye is the walled city of Nodoff. A flickering shadow lingers over it as a silibant whisper slithers across your mind.

"A challenge..."

((Roll a d4 and a d12))

d4 = 2
d12 = 7

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
((You have managed to convert 9 people to your faith, two of whom are devoted enough to act of missionaries of their own on your behalf wherever you deign too send them, if you do in fact choose to send them.))

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Upon completion of the Sending, Keranos's eyes snap open. He is breathing heavily, and he can feel his heartbeat throughout his body.

"Challenge accepted," Keranos says aloud, to his empty quarters.

He takes a few moments to collect himself, and then, with a renewed conviction, he takes to the streets.

On a street corner near the dividing line between the town proper and where the bulk of the refugees had been staying (though the crowd is rather smaller, now that the forest has been rendered safe for rehabitation), the God of Storms spots large sealed crate, near a fruit vendor who has closed up shop for the day. He climbs atop the structure and preaches to the passersby with more zeal than he has ever felt.

"BEHOLD! Salvation from the spidery minions of Phobetor! The God of Storms has delivered the Free Peoples from evil! He has returned your homes to you and vanquished the darkness! Pledge yourselves to him and find bounty and prosperity!"

The sermon continues for some time, repeating key words and phrase often. This crowd is the biggest he's ever drawn, and he spots tears of joy in the eyes of a few of them.

When finally the crowd begins to shrink (mostly on account of Keranos running out of breath and his voice growing hoarse), he steps down to personally acknowledge and speak with those who were most moved by his message.

All nine of his new devotees are important, but to Keranos, two of them in particular make an impact. One is a slight man of middle age, fully grown yet not much bigger than Keranos himself (who is still in the body of a teenaged boy), with rust-colored hair and a booming voice. Keranos learns that his name is Linus; he has been a denizen of the city all his life, grew up on the streets, and amassed a fortune by virtue of his silver tongue and keen business sense.

The other is a young adult woman, muscular in build, named Diana. She is one of the Free Peoples: a refugee who has recently made the decision to stay in the city, having lost her family to spider attacks during the evacuation. Keranos sees in her the potential to be a fantastic leader, though this quality does not seem to be one that has yet been tested.

Keranos takes all nine of his followers to a nearby pub and treats them all to a feast fit for a king, and the ten of them make merry well into the night. When the hour grows late, he dismisses the others with well wishes, and speaks only to Linus and Diana.

"There is a matter I wish to discuss with you both," he announces. "The hour grows late, and tomorrow I must depart the city to continue our Holy War against the disciples of Phobetor. In my absence, however, the message must continue to spread. The God of Storms wills the two of you to work together to establish a proper church, right here in the city. In the near term, the goal for the both of you will be to secure a secure and structurally-sound building, capable of holding services, as well as providing aid to the needy."

He looks at Linus. "Your job will be to run the church and spread my message within the city. When you can, recruit others to spread the Good Word and send them to neighboring towns."

He turns to Diana. "After the church in this city is established, your task will be to go to your countrymen and women - the Free Peoples - and spread the Message to the forest." He pauses for a moment to contemplate. "Let's see how far we get with these goals before planning any further. I shall check in occasionally for progress reports." He smiles and blesses each of them. "Together, we shall accomplish great things. Until then, may the blessings of Keranos fortify you."

He retires for the evening.

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
((Happy Christmas, and Merry New Year, everybody! Sorry I've been missing all this time; I think I should be able to put the busy last decade overflow behind me and actually keep current with the thread now. My computer's been awake longer than any other time in the past... month? That's a good start.))

Upon disembarking the walking riverboat, Galen makes sure to take a moment to thank Ryder for his part in this continuing adventure. Following this, he checks in on the rest of the party and, barring any complications, heads off to find Hulna, as he wishes to learn what accommodations have been made for the remains of the late governor, and she seems the most likely to be able to provide such information.

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Long before Galen reaches the door to Hulna's office, he hears a familiar voice echoing down the hall.

"Are ye dense? I be Skullcrusher, an' I never seen ye before in me life!

"What d'ye mean Skullcrusher be much taller?! I be exactly the height I am! Now I demand ye let me pass, ye tin-helmeted know-nothin' or I'll show ye why they call me Skullcrusher in th' first place!"

Rounding a corner, Galen finds Barrow yelling at a thoroughly confused guard posted outside Hulna's door. Barrow is looking considerably sharper than usual, wearing a crisp uniform like something you'd find in the military. It's a bit dusty from the road wear, but still a clear improvement over the humble stock of his previous attire. "Sir," the guard says with measured patience, "I am under strict orders to allow no one passage."

"But she be me bleedin' wife!" Barrow practically howls, clutching at the sides of his head as though he still had hair to yank on. "Surely no one told ye to keep out her bloomin' husband!"

The guard's eyes narrow. "How should I know that you're her husband?" he asks. "Just a moment ago, you were claiming to be Skullcrusher."

The two men stare daggers at each other, unblinking as a bright green light pops out of the keyhole of the door behind them. "I got through!" Peaseblossom boasts. "You couldn't stop--oh hey, look who it is!" she says, pointing in Galen's direction.

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
"Peaseblossom!" Galen adopts a large grin as he continues his approach. "And Barrow. It's been so long. Well done getting in." With barely a pause -so as to avoid the pixie interrupting- Galen directs a quick aside to Peaseblossom in Sylvan: "One moment, please, while I try to help with this situation." He then turns to the poor guard and, maintaining his smile, gives a quick nod.

"Forgive me for the intrusion, but I could not help but overhear parts of your conversation, and I can confirm the veracity of this gentleman's claims. He is also known as Skullcrusher, confusing as it is, just as he is the honorable Hulna's husband. We traveled with him for some time, and she accidentally informed us that he had died. Between you and me, he's more likely to crush some skulls than the other one."

Galen decides that, given the standing order that nobody is to pass, he should probably not announce his desire for an audience.

((If the guard does not believe this confirmation of truthfulness, Galen can always ask Peaseblossom to find the dwarf inside and announce Stonecipher's arrival. Asked in Sylvan, of course, because the guard would hopefully not understand.))

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
"Good to see ye, lad," Barrow says, thumping Galen on the back with a meaty palm. "I feared th' worst for how ye might be farin' without someone with the strength of Old King Hector flowin' through their veins at yer side. I came as soon as I got the message, but to tell you truly it was more just ridin' along with th' damn incorrigible horses. Damnedest thing, we had a hell's time just keepin' 'em restrained from marchin' north through the tunnel, then they do an about face an' now we're trying to keep them from goin' south. Hitched a wagon to 'em and set them loose, an' off they went. An' now ye lot brought down another tower! Oh, this Phobetor bastard be quakin' in his tiny little boots by this point, I tell ye!"

"So wait," the guard said, interjecting after a moment of contemplation with a face screwed up in confusion. "There are two Skullcrushers, then?"

Barrow's face reddens immediately. "No!" he shouts. "That's what I be tellin' ye! There be only me! I don't know where ye keep comin' up with there bein' some other, taller me! An' I certainly never led no procession for Remdormo 'cross th' mountains! Yer brains, lad, they're more addled than… an… addled… somethin'!"

With all the timing of a seasoned diplomat, the door opens to reveal Hulna. "Barrow!" she says, her eyes widening. "Gods above, I thought you lost in the chaos that consumed Hammerfall." Looking to the guard, she barks, "Eyes right, soldier!" The guard quickly obeys and, once unobserved by her subordinate, Hulna throws herself into Barrow's arms, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"There, there, woman," Barrow hushes as he rocks Hulna in his arms. "Yes should know better than t'think a little skullduggery and literal backstabbing in Hammerfall could stop one of th' Endowed. Not even th' Kin an' all their bluster stands a chance 'gainst th' likes of me."

"Yay!" Peaseblossom cries, flying around above their heads in a glowing circuit. "Everyone's happy again! Except maybe Barrow, but he's only happy when he's angry, so it still counts!"

At length, Hulna disengages from Barrows's embrace and wipes her eyes with the back of her hand. "Galen," she says, her voice level and controlled once more, "what have you to report?"

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
Galen's expression grows slightly more serious. "The spire is removed, and the forest seems clear; the Herald of Fear within has been felled. He offered us -much like Crullus before- the chance to stand down and submit to the rule of his benevolent master. Unlike before, it did not turn out as he must have hoped.

"We must be moving on shortly to deal with the next of these structures and whatever else ill in which resides."

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Hulna nods. "Yes, it was difficult to miss the disappearance of the spiders," she says. "So we knew of your success, but I am pleased to know that the cost of it did not come too dearly. You... you may very well be the most priceless commodity Somnus has to offer, if you are all that can deliver us from this consumption of our world."

"Ach!" Barrow grunts as he rolls his eyes. "Commodities, woman? Is that what we be to ye? Goods fer trade? One of th'favored few tasked with savin' th'whole planet be your husband, an' ye talk 'bout me like me be some bushel of lager!"

"Bushels are for dry goods," Hulna says simply. "Lager would be shipped by the barrel." She places one upright index finger against Barrow's lips to preempt his response as she turns back to Galen.

"My reports tell me that the ashen wastes in the inland are increasing dramatically," she says. "If you do not fell these final two towers, there may not be much of Telmur left to be saved, and I doubt the Hierarchy of Dragons down in Baglahm is going to be accommodating of a mass evacuation of the entire continent. Time is of the essence."

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Sagishi is happy to return to Stonegate as he much prefers a city to jungles forests. His Joy is cut short when the fox that Fhiess calls his pet, approaches him. He stares down the small creature checking its gaze for any sign of maliciousness, though for all intents and purposes just as before the fox seems to be truly just that.
Still...
Sagishi bends down and picks up the fox to hand it to Fhiess, but not before whispering into it's ear in Sylvan.
Don't think you you can fool me, Missy, I have my eyes on you.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fhiess is stunned for a moment, his arms still held out waiting for a fox to approach him and his smile intact. Only when Sagishi returns his pet that he is able to stand up to take her. He chuckles, "Ah! It seems Fox seems to be a fan of you, Saghishi." When he is now holding the fox in his arms he asks, "I know you can become a fox yourself, but I'm curious now.. did you ever have a pet of your own when you're in your person form?"

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
"Agreed," Galen responds. "We will need to consider if we have anything at our disposal to expedite our travel as we ready ourselves to depart. We've a long road ahead of us before we reach the next of these wounds infesting the world.

"I should leave you and Barrow to catch up as we plan this next trip, but, before I do, I was wondering what accommodations may have been made for the late governor. It wouldn't do to see him disregarded, even with the circumstances."

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
((Sorry I'm so late in responding, but, as per the answer on Discord, yeah. Galen's got Fleet of Foot now.

When we regroup, Galen needs to ask if Thosar has any way to fortify Ludwig for the journey (also known as letting Ludwig march on and on without exhaustion) because, if so, we may be able to prepare a trip where we take shifts resting while moving further in a day. Pending our willingness to travel at night.))

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Barrow's reunion with Hulna is short-lived by necessity, and while he is no less overjoyed to see that everyone else has returned safely than he was for Galen, Barrow immediately sets about like a seasoned quartermaster seeing that the cart and its horses are properly provisioned for a long haul on the main thoroughfare heading out east across the southern reaches of the kingdom. Checking up on Linus and Diana, Keranos finds that they have commandeered an empty storage building for the purposes of establishing a house of worship for the thunder god, the symbol of Keranos painted crudely, but earnestly, above its door. In an aching reminder that just because the most immediate threat to the valley has been dealt with it does not mean trouble does not remain, it turns out that this used to be a building for holding food reserves for Stonegate. But it is squat and square and made of stone, built to withstand more than just the elements, but full siege warfare should it come to it.

d4mjdmy-dc1d90b1-ab7d-44bf-9604-29a2cbddcf24.jpg

Before the morning dew has even evaporated the following morn, Barrow snaps the reins against the flanks of the enchanted horses, more for a show of his eagerness to be on his way rather than for any need to impel the horses forward. Their steadfast pace is well-known at this point, and they don't seem to be particularly hurried by any sense of urgency. Still, even at this plodding rate, the journey through the pass winding between the columnar formations of the Pillars of the Sky seems to fly by when compared to the rate of the forced marching of the exodus from Remdormo. Barrow spends much of the journey explaining in painstaking and frankly baffling detail the exploits he was up to in the political hellscape that is the Hammerfall body politic, describing procedural maneuvers and obstructions so obscure and arcane that even if he did not speak with such a clipped accent he would be incomprehensible. Peaseblossom, however, seems to hang on his every word, asking him to repeat the "exciting" parts of the story, which oddly enough seem to be the most boring bits to everyone else.

Despite this constant stream of chatter, a moment of eerie silence descends upon the group as they pass the scene of the rockslide that claimed the lives of several of the hungry and destitute evacuees, and for the rest of the day a haunted air hangs over the Endowed as they move onward.

39678.jpg

The night sky is alight with movement, as the shower of falling stars glimpsed for some time now seems to only be intensifying. It is a beautiful sight, perhaps the one single and solitary bit of solace that can be had from the creeping nightmare that seeks to strangle the life from this world.

These falling stars seem to be leaving gaps at their point of origin, as though the stars are literally falling from the sky

3091a017b704dd6c24339700f4a16ff4.jpg

Remdormo is a ghost town, and Barrow visibly shudders as the wagon makes its way through the western gates and winds its way to the city's center. He complains about it being unnatural for a city to be so still and intact, as even in the aftermath of war there is at least evidence of looting and destruction. This, this just looks like someone created a full-sized model of a city to be inhabited by giant playthings the size of real people. A raven picking at the corpse of an emaciated rat on the edge of the well at the city pauses in its efforts long enough to look up and make a croaking caw at the passing wagon and J'Raffa, but otherwise the city is devoid of even animal life. It's not until the walls of the city vanish over the horizon behind them that Peaseblossom emerges, proclaiming yay, it's not spooky anymore.

32.Training-Castle.jpg

In an uncanny echo of the initial outset from Remdormo to deliver the king's gift on his birthday, the wagon rolls over the rutted road between Remdormo and the Kingsgate to the east, stopping once more to camp at the foot of the Hauntaur—no known to be the ancestral name of the tieflings still within the borders of the kingdom—artifact that Keranos revealed to be nothing but a mundane sign post what seems ages ago. The cascade of stars continues unabated in the night sky as Barrow sketches out a crude rendition of a map of the kingdom and marks where he has heard the quintessential ash has extended. Not quite as far south as Nodoff, nor as far west as the northern Kingsgate, but the interior of the continent is crumbling. Even if this were to end tomorrow, famine would be a near certainty.

When they at last crest the hill that brings the Kingsfort into view, it is a heartening scene. Commoners stand in rank and file, going through drills with sword and shield, a wall wood pikes hardened by fire extending around an extensive tent city crowded around the structure of the fort at its center. Here are people who are not willing to laydown and die without a fight.

The fluttering of the breeze, however, unfurls a banner hanging from the highest point of, revealing a clenched red fist on a field of black. Looking more closely, now, the ruddy hue of the drillmaster's skin and leonine shape of their nose is impossible to miss. And as though the truth of the situation could not be anymore clear, a tremendous shadow sweeps over the Endowed as an enormous bird swoops low to land on the roof of the fort, its enormous talons gripping between the crenulations as it spreads its wings and screeches.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Keranos is quite pleased to see that Linus and Diana have already gotten the ball rolling so efficiently. He informs them of his departure, compliments their efforts thus far, and leaves them to their own devices.

He is also relieved to see that Barrow has arrived, and greets the gruff one gregariously.

He does not object to Kingsfort as their next destination, but he takes great interest at Barrow's map. During a lull in the journey, he says to Barrow:

"What other news of Nodoff? I've never been there myself, but I have heard.... things.... that make me want to know more. I am hoping that perhaps it could be our next destination, once this business at the Fort is resolved."

He spends much of the rest of the journey relaxing, which is a nice change of pace. Backtracking through the deserted streets of Remdormo stirs negative feelings within him, but he keeps them to himself, and once they've passed through, he forgets all about it.

Upon their arrival at Kingshield, and the apparent simultaneous arrival of a giant bird, Keranos sees fit to exercise a power that he has recently rediscovered.

Invoking the ancient art of the Beast Speech ((the invocation I just took when I leveled)), he shouts up to the creature (his volume bolstered by a strategic casting of Thaumaturgy, if necessary): "Greetings," he says, his words magically translated for the creature, "We come in service of the Kingdom, to destroy the towers plaguing the landscape. Are you the guardian of this place?"

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
((How close are you wanting to get to the encampment around the fort? Speak With Animals doesn't specify a range, so I imagine the rules as intended is that you have to be in earshot of the target, unless someone can point me to something stating otherwise.))

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
((I had a few contingencies for that actually - the Thaumaturgy cantrip lets you amplify your voice up to 3x louder than normal, and Keranos also has his Telepathy ability. In the very worst case scenario, he can always just send it a Message.

I think it's reasonable to be able to shout normally and have someone hear you up to 100 feet away (one-third of a football field), so 300 feet should be okay with Thaumaturgy? If it's unreasonable to get within a football field then I guess he could just send a Message as a ritual. It depends on the scale of the layout you have in mind for the encampment.

And if Keranos's unreasonably loud shouting draws negative attention from the people in the fort, well.... that seems fairly in-character for Keranos :) ))

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
((That's all workable))

At Keranos's salutation of the roc, a wave of surprise washes over the ranks of the commoners training in their drill formations as dozens of pairs of eyes turn in the direction of first the godling, then following his gaze above their heads to the enormous bird. To say they're unsure of how to respond is an understatement, but the hobgoblin drill masters choke their grips on their spears and bare their teeth in a wary threat posture. It would likely have been difficult to take the fort unawares, what with a 15-foot tall quadruped in full plate armor hanging around, but now there is a definite audience.

A confused audience, but an audience nonetheless.

The roc cocks its head and blinks its massive eye at Keranos in response to his inquiry.

"Not, guardian," it says, it's chittering vocalizations forming words in your mind. "I am the carrier. I carry things. Do you need something carried? I am good at carrying things."

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
It is a slow, solemn journey as the group proceeds onward toward the next of the evil spires, the world dead and lifeless around them. The sickly trails in the sky serve as a constant reminder of the darkness looming over them all.

At the sight of the Kingsfort, Galen finds himself filled with a wave of cheer and of relief, for this stronghold serves as a bastion against the darkness encroaching around them; it is a place of hope. And, as it would turn out, that hope has been covered by the Red Hand of Maglubiyet.

At the realization, Galen instinctively reaches for his bow, his fingers brushing the smooth wood as his eyes dart about, leaping from point to point, from the grounds to the walls, from goblin to goblin, and from the goblins to the avian monstrosity above.

A voice calls out, and Galen's attention immediately snaps to Keranos.

"Keranos, quiet!" he admonishes his companion in a harsh whisper. "What do you think you're doing?"

((As per Discord, Sagishi is now at 21 days of Longbow.))

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
It takes days for Fhiess to finally get over his excitement to see Barrow and Peaseblossom well and safe once more. It is only during the evening approaching Remdormo that he remains quiet and restful riding the wagon as usual.

As Fawks playfully tries to catch Peaseblossom in her paw, Fhiess gazes up to the sky.

He blinks. Stars fall from the sky during the evening. On any other day, this would be a moment to enjoy the beauty of the stars dancing, but nowadays it feels like a bad omen- much like many other things they have seen on their journey.

And then a massive blanket of feathers in the darkness of its own shadow obscure his view. He nearly falls over before catching himself. With as much of a whisper as he can muster, he asks the group in his confusion, "Ah! What is going on..?"

Nov 2, 2017
Pleased to be reunited with Barrow and Peaceblossom and done with another spire site, Ludwig finds the journey fairly relaxing, even if not being in the wagon means he is having to walk the entire time. The return to the site of the falling boulders is somber, and he hangs his head as they pass through the impromptu graveyard, muttering to himself "If only they had stronger bootstraps..."

Likewise, travelling through Remdoro is a haunting experience for the J'raffa. All of these shops, stands, and streets are just going unused! So much potential commerce, left squandered. The economic waste is appalling, and Ludwig can't help but shudder as they travel through the husk of a city. Looking to Fheiss at some point through the march, he says "I guess we're going to have to sell that sword somewhere else."

The flag, giant bird, and vaguely familiar shapes at Kingsfort put Ludwig on guard. "I can't quite place where we've seen this before, but I think the fort's under hostile ownership now. I can almost place-" is as far as he gets before Keranos loudly addresses the roc. "Oh yeah! Those hobgoblins doing stuff with poison earlier! And that must be the giant bird that made them vanish mid-tracking! Wait, fuck. Well, not like we were sneaking past anyway, maybe talking to them will work out somehow."

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fhiess frowns, "Perhaps the people will be more willing to listen to Skullcrusher than Crullus was.." If Barrow hears what Fhiess had said he will shake his head quickly, "Ah! No, I don't mean you. A friend of mine."

"But we should find out more about what we can do before another speech of mine leaves more people without food."

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
((So, Mike , I've done some digging, and, on June eighth of 2018, you indicated on the Discord that some of our equipment would have been left with the magic horses. Is it likely any of that came back with Barrow?

I've also got more from Galen ready to go, but I figure I should give a little more time for anyone else to give their input in this situation.))

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
((Anything left behind in Hammerfall (I think you guys ditched like literally everything except your immediate inventory and the haversack that produces the food?) would come back with the wagon, yeah.))

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
((Gonna press on, Noisy Ninj4 and Nezumi can get their bit in if they want))

As the Endowed speak among themselves following Keranos's unprompted introduction to the forces that have seized the Kingfort, a shouted order can be heard being relayed through the gathered mass of humans and goblinoids behind the barriers. Though they wear a disgruntled expression, a pair of bugbears emerge and heave aside the wood spike barricades laid across the road as the ranks of people undergoing training drills part to allow an avenue of passage.

It seems as close to a welcome invitation as one is likely to receive.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
"Pets?" Sagishi thinks a moment about the unexpected question, before he shakes his head and points at Fawkes.
"Not like this, no. Back in the jungles of Bhaglam I was too busy learning to take on human form, I doubt my parents would have allowed me to take care of another creature even if I'd wanted to do so.
He thinks for another few seconds. "There was this guy... I can't believe I can't remember his name. Percy? Peter... ?" For a moment Sagishi looks clearly upset about his lack of memory, then he shrugs. "Anyway, that was back at the circus. This guy... Pierre! That was the name. Pierre had a couple of goats. They'd perform with him. Walk on two legs and that sort of thing. I sometimes helped him take care of them. Feed them, clean out their pen and stuff like that, but other than that. No, no pets for me."

-----

The talk about pets had awoken some old memories in Sagishi and as their little group travels through the destroyed lanscape towards their next destination it occurs to him for the first time that his parents might as well be among the countless victims the Phobeotor has claimed so far. As always he manages to bury those feelings as soon as they arise, but he feels that it gets harder and harder each time he has to do so. He is of course also aware that there might be a simple solution to his dilemna, but the fear of learning that after all this years he missed his chance to apologize is too strong and on top of that it would require him to ask a favor from Keranos, something that despite the polite truce between them, he does not yet feel comfortable doing.

Sagishi has been sleeping rolled up in the wagon when they close in on Kingsfort, so he is not overly pleased to wake up and find that somehow they found themselves ready to go into yet another battle.

He yawns and stretches as he transforms into his human shape, fishing for his crossbow as the hobgoblins get ready to greet them.

Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fhiess nods at the story told about Pierre's goats. He should have figured that Sagishi's circus days would have seen many animals and their tricks. His mind drifts somewhat when he imagines how many have been delivered as part of Hogan's trade.. Will he end up confronting Hogan once they return to Rendormo? He smiles and quickly concludes the conversation as everyone gets ready to depart.

---

During the present moment, Fhiess keeps to a low whisper, "I don't think they realize we've been interfering in the smuggling the other hobgoblins have done. This could be our chance to find out everything we must know to stop them! Let's accept their welcome."

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
While the sage stays quiet most of the trip, Thosar reads most of the way and keeps trying to work out the links in his new spells. The wall of fireflies one night in particular gets an audience.
--
With the rest of the group pondering the strange welcome, he shrugs. "Not much else to do but accept, I suppose. Hopefully they see reason with all this insanity about." He casts a wary eye around as the group move on.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Keranos blinks at Galen's admonishment, genuinely confused. "What do you mean? I was just..." He looks ahead and takes a second glance at the training soldiers.

His face grows first pale, and then hot with embarrassment. Those weren't normal soldiers; they were monsters. And he had just alerted them to the party's presence.

"I.... ah.... I'm terribly sorry," he says. "I saw soldiers and simply assumed that..." He trails off when the monsters seemingly stand aside to allow them to pass. "What are they...."

He throws his hands up, unable to make any sense of these developments. He will go along with whatever the others decide.

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
"We'll make it work somehow." Galen places a hand on Keranos' shoulder. "It appears you've gotten us a welcome, in any case."

Galen diverts his attention to Thosar. "Thosar, you've met Mira. Would you be able to apprise her of our location and the situation? Goblins, birds, welcome?" He looks over to Fhiess. "And you both might want to hide your ears."