• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Outside of this thread, has anyone reported the bad ads to a mod or admin? They tend to not like those ads displaying and I think they have some control over malicious ads.

Deleted member 32726

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's been like this on and off forever... even on the old site. I even got a php error for running Firefox on my Pixel.

They always tell you just to report ads, but my first instinct is always to force close and do something else.

I'm all against obtrusive ads, but you folks really don't want this site to get any money to offset the costs of running it?
Eh, this has been said before but Era probably doesn't run up a huge bill. Not only do they get money in from ads, but now there's the bonus sub money coming in.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
On Chrome on Android and surprisingly no problems recently but there have definitely been stretches of several days where I get redirects immediately. I only browse Era on my phone and I never use adblockers so I essentially have to stop visiting the site.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Any site that runs malicious ads should never get a cent from you, either through ad views or "subscriptions" to get rid of the ads. They're exploiting you and you're rewarding their bad behavior.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Chrome user here and my ads are fine
In fact I almost get none. The worse thing about mobile right now is the bbs systems are broken, I'm out here typing

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, this has been said before but Era probably doesn't run up a huge bill. Not only do they get money in from ads, but now there's the bonus sub money coming in.
Finding people willing to deal with Weekend Era on their days off can't be easy. Whatever disagreements I might have with some past decisions, the mods here are heroes. Whatever profit Era produces, if any, should go back to those peeps

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I havent had full screen ads in a while, but I have recently gotten some that seemingly close my keyboard on mobile, which leads to miss-licks.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
This site is unusable on mobile.
It's been like this for weeks.
Fucking ridiculous honestly.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I've had this happen exactly zero times. Safari, iOS.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm on Safari iOS and have literally never seen anything like that once. Just use a browser with some basic adblocking baked in.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just block the ads until it is fixed. If you still can't do that on Chrome move to something that can (eg Firefox). I honestly don't get how people can put up with this shit.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I got an invasive ad from this thread xD

It made my phone beep too! "Extravagentrewards" was the site or some shit.

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
I had that exact same ad take over a few different tabs of Resetera yesterday on my phone (using Firefox, newest iOS, iphone 11 pro max). I then changed my tracking protection from Standard to Strict and I haven't seen one since. Dunno if it really made a difference, but that's my anecdotal evidence.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i've got the fastest "BACK" button finger in the fucking west. If you do it like 10-15 times you might make it back to the thread you were going to shit post in.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, other browsers fix the issue.

Also, try remove/reinstalling Chrome as a stop gap measure. It'll likely return but so far it's been working fine.

I've noticed Chrome getting a clear overlay (presumably) that prevents you from clicking on anything. Anyone else have this also? I've made sure to disable display over other apps but still get it from time to time.
Yeah I have this too sometimes. Really annoying.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like my Era Clear subscription is paying off... That said, people shouldn't have to pay just to avoid intrusive and malicious ads. I really hope this gets sorted out soon.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
This happened to me 5 times today. How else do we report these ads other than making threads?

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
Please address this, staff. Its extremely intrusive. I sincerely don't want to use an adblocker and nor do I intend on changing my browser for something like this.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait this is fake? I just gave them all my info...

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Information
Unfortunately, unscrupulous ad makers are especially active towards the end of the year -- almost any ad supported site will experience some problems during this time. Neither the site nor our ad agency actually reap any additional benefit from malicious ads, these aren't supposed to be running, and we have every reason to hate them as much as you do.

We are in contact with our agency about this and we're doing what we can to track down these bad ads as they emerge (it's like whack-a-mole). Your reports and details are helping in this process and we ask that they be concentrated in the Ad Reporting thread. Thank you for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.