ResetEra 2.0 New Features Guide

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
This is an updated list from our original announcement thread, highlighting some of our favorite new features in ResetEra 2.0. Believe it or not, this list might still not be complete! There are features here that you have been demanding for a long time, and features you might never have even imagined. We hope that you will enjoy them as much as we do.

Ignore Threads

This is a feature that you've been asking for almost since the launch of the forum, and we're finally delighted to provide it. ResetEra 2.0 will allow you to easily ignore any thread by clicking the Ignore button in the top right corner. That thread will then disappear from your thread list.

If you accidentally ignore a thread or otherwise want to remove a thread from your ignore list, don't worry! Simply navigate to the bottom of the thread list and click "Show ignored content" to reveal the threads you've ignored.

Custom Posts Per Page

The long conflict between supporters of 50 posts per page and 100 posts per page is officially over. No longer will you be restricted to such a limited, binary choice. With ResetEra 2.0 we are now introducing the option to set any custom value you want between 50 and 100 posts / threads per page. Simply check your account preferences and enter whatever number you desire. Do you want to have 75 posts per page? There's nothing stopping you now! 62 threads per page? Why not! 51 threads per page and 83 posts per page? You do you!

Please note that we're leaving the default untouched at 50 posts per page and 40 threads per page.

Drafts

Have you ever had a nice post written up, only to accidentally navigate away from the page, wiping away all your hard work? If so then this one is for you: ResetEra 2.0 includes a draft feature in the message editor allowing you to save your work for later. To use this feature simply click the floppy disk icon and select "Save draft" to make sure your work is protected. If you want to delete a draft simply select "Delete draft" from the same dropdown and the reply box will be empty when you next reload the page.

Similar Threads

At the bottom of every thread (beneath the reply box) you will now be able to peruse a list of threads covering similar topics, making it easier to discover other content that might be of interest to you. Additionally, when creating a new thread, you will be shown a list of similar threads that already exist. This should help members avoid posting duplicate threads for news or topics that have already been covered.

Trending

Here is a feature that just seems obvious in hindsight. Easily available via top navigation or sidebar navigation, the Trending page presents an automated selection of the hottest threads across all of ResetEra 2.0 at any given moment in time.

If you pop open the right sidebar on the Trending page, you will find a convenient list of filters for each forum section to help you sort through and discover the content that interests you the most. Should Trending prove to be popular we may find ways in the future to expand and improve this feature further.

Threadmarks

Large, fast moving threads are often difficult to navigate and keep up with. Great posts can get lost in the shuffle, important updates can be missed, and Staff Posts can be difficult to find and refer to unless the post number is edited into the title. Threadmarks empowers thread creators with the ability to curate their own threads by selecting posts to be added to an index that will appear at the top of the thread.

Thread creators will be able to sort Threadmarks into two categories: The default Threadmarks category (intended for updates) and a Highlights category (for other great or notable posts in the thread). A third category, Staff Posts, is available to staff only and will be used whenever there is a risk of a Staff Post going unnoticed. When entering a large thread, be sure to check first whether the Staff Posts index is present at the top!

More Embeds

Many of you have asked for more embed support for popular services like Vimeo. We've gone even further: ResetEra 2.0 will support embeds for 24 different services including podcasts, audio, crowdfunding, and more. You can check out the full list of supported embeds below. There should be something for everyone!

Bandcamp
Dailymotion
GfyCat
Giphy
Imgur
Instagram
Indiegogo
Kickstarter
Libsyn
Mixcloud
Podbean
Scribd
Soundcloud
Spotify
Steam Store
Stitcher
Strawpoll
Streamable
Twitch
Twitter
Vimeo
XboxClips
Xbox DVR
YouTube

Covers for Threads and Profiles

This is a particularly fun feature which we're very pleased to be able to offer. When ResetEra 2.0 goes live and the migration is complete, members will be able to upload cover images to personalize their profile pages. Thread creators will also be able to upload and select covers for individual threads as well! These uploads have a recommended resolution of at least 600x1000 and will be limited to 250kb (easily achieved with reasonable jpg compression).
Covers will be moderated like any other images or avatars. Please note that we will be monitoring the effect of this feature on site performance, and may make future adjustments as necessary.

Staff Posts

Official Staff Communication
This is what we will use when we need to get your attention.

That's right, red text no longer has to be reserved for mods! From now on official communications (except mod edits) will be made using Staff Post tags. Not only does this free up red text for members, it's also impossible to accidentally misuse. It is theoretically possible for members to deliberately abuse these: This was necessary to make sure that staff posts remain quotable. However, as with red text before, any attempt to impersonate a moderator with these tags will be met with a long ban.

Non-Binary Gender Option

Limitations with the new core software required us to rework how gender is displayed. While this was tricky to do, it allowed us to make another change in the process.

We were able to implement the option for users to set their gender as non-binary! We've had multiple requests for this feature since launch, and we're very pleased that we were able to provide it.

Nov 10, 2017
Good job. Just some immediate feedback- its very slow to open a thread to read. Like 30 secs or more. Going to guess its just shakedown stuff right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. A lot better than the stop-gap "new themes" version last time around.

Avatars are always square shaped now, right?

Jan 16, 2018
Everything is a bit slow right now, but I can't wait for the migration to be done.
The new features look amazing.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Same question. Was this option removed or is it in a different setting now?
Hi, can't seems to find the option to hide images and avater on mobile. Anyone can help me?
Unfortunately the tools we used to implement that feature previously are not compatible with the new software and we have not been able to identify a suitable replacement at this time.

Recreating that feature is going to be a very high priority going forward.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see an option to hide avatars or images. Also the site looks really cramped on PC with a huge amount of wasted space on the left and right.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
How do I get to the first new post of a thread?
For the first unread post, simply click the thread title.

I don't see an option to hide avatars or images. Also the site looks really cramped on PC with a huge amount of wasted space on the left and right.
In the bottom left you'll find a button to expand to fill your full screen width.

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I don't see an option to hide avatars or images.
I'm gonna tag along with this one, hide avatar is a feature it's hard to without for practical reasons. Hide images would be welcome too (but if possible keep the two options separated)

Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately the tools we used to implement that feature previously are not compatible with the new software and we have not been able to identify a suitable replacement at this time.

Recreating that feature is going to be a very high priority going forward.
I sure hope so. I'm currently living in a country where I rely on mobile data for my internet usage, and data is not cheap. I'm basically afraid of browsing Era now for fear of burning through too much data because someone posted a giant gif :(

Edge

Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Are you kidding me guys? Why is the black bar spoiler function gone? It was left out when Era started but then got added over the months. Without a button, but it was finally there. Was hoping it finally gets his own button and now we're back to this other awful spoiler function that is still poorly designed and takes even more space of the posting now. Urgh.

And why is "Edit" still behind these 3 points, called other options when there aren't even other options? There is enough space for a single edit button, that's so unnecessary.

And the "your changes have been saved" pop-up while editing goes out of the screen on mobile.
Is there a bug thread?

Oct 25, 2017
Yay for bookmarks vs watched threads!

I wish that the arrows at the right side of the thread listings could be displayed on the same line so that the thread list wouldn’t take up so much white space per thread.

The quick jump being a drop down kind of sucks. On iPad Pro 11, there’s enough room for the 4 basic forums to be listed at least. Hopping between forums is now two clicks where it used to be one.

Nov 10, 2017
Well I'm lost but I guess I'll find everything in a few minutes.
It now looks more like a gaming news site with a forum... and the big footer banner for the subscription to remove ads.

End of an Era for me.

Good job though since it seems many of team members have put a lot of efforts and hard work to produce this result.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
THANK YOU for thread ignore.

Threadmarks feature is great too, it'll be good to have the best posts in a thread highlighted and easy to find.

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know of a chrome extension or something that would block images/gifs from automatically loading on ResetEra? Because of data restrictions I can't browse without the "hide images" feature...

edit: found an imageblocking extension for chrome. fills the page with broken image tags but guess that will do for now

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the update. Glad it seemed to go OK

I'd vote for being able to hide avatars too please.

Also, do we have to go into each thread we want to ignore or can we do it from the index page? I saw the ignore button at the top of the index, but couldn't see how I could highlight one or more threads to apply it to.

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Enabled the mobile jump buttons, no refresh button!!!!

I swear this is so much worse that the old versions mobile setup, everything seems to have gone backwards in terms of usability on mobile.