• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

ResetEra 2.0 New Features Guide

Oct 25, 2017
UK
psnprofiles.com
I hate the new layout. Who asked for this? The old one was so much easier for me to navigate.
Yeah threadmarks and bookmarks are great so is being able to ignore threads, but everything else is worse

It feels like the forum is fighting against you when you try and do anything, everything is busier, flashier, more cluttered, with pointless information no one asked for getting in the way of basic functions

1.5 was a mess, entertainment was an absolute nightmare, and 2.0 is now a mess

I think after this we just need to stop changing things for the sake of it, it's so frustrating having to go though this every few months for no good reason. The community as a whole are not asking for this, so unless that changes we should just stick with what everyone likes, and only make changes when the majority of users (not just the majority of staff) are happy with them

If we're going to do this song and dance every 6 months people will get fed up and leave. I don't understand how you can hit it out of the park while scrambling to make a forum out of thin air and then fuck up every subsequent change after that

Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Are there any examples of thread covers? Noticed a screenshot of the OP on the first page appeared to show a video embed demonstrating the feature but currently can't see any such embeds nor in quoting the post.
Can you not make covers for threads right now?
Where the heck do you edit Covers ?!?!?!!?!? i can't find it
Does anyone know how and where you can add covers on a new thread or edit them in an old one? I just can't find it on mobile.
I posted this elsewhere but figured it was better asked here, where it can be dealt with after all the major fires are put out.

Are thread creators supposed to be able to add covers to their existing threads? I'm not finding that option.
The button for this doesn't show up for me. Is this not activated yet?
I don't seem to have an option to upload a thread cover?
same, been looking in new threads or in old threads, I just don't see it and this question was seemingly ignored?

could anyone please acknowledge this feature not actually existing (yet)? would be nice, thanks!
Cerium or whoever is responsible for these questions

Oct 25, 2017
UK
psnprofiles.com
Please let me hide avatars on the main pages. I cant stand that.
Has this been addressed by a mod at all? What about the slimier thread concerns?

If so, that's great, but if not, then it's worrying, because these are design choices, not bugs, and if they're kept around despite the majority of users disliking them then I guess the collective opinion of the community isn't considered to be that important, or they're just unsure how to remove these features, which makes me worry that the update was rushed

I think it looks very nice, but I just wish there was a way to disable "Similar threads" and a way to get the refresh back. The mobile experience is not as friendly as it used to be.
Likewise.

I welcome change, but there are just too many niggles for mobile users.

- No pages shown (under threads).
- A glaring lack of refresh button.
- Too much white/empty space.
- Those ‘similar threads’ should be an optional preference.
- An option to disable avatars, especially for mobile internet users.
- More of a personal preference — to see ‘top posters’ in bigger threads.

I like the actual forum itself. Just some little omissions here and there.

Oct 27, 2017
After using it for a bit, this new forum is terrible. Filled with unnecessary crap. If you are introducing new features you need to give the option to disable it, for example the similar threads feature. It's beyond stupid to take away some essential features like disable avatar and images when upgrading. How do you think this will go over with mobile users? Was this even tested with some beta users? The layout is flashy and gaudy my goodness.

Oct 28, 2017
A few comments. All my testing was done in latest Chrome for OSX.

• There is a lot of wasted space. I'd like to get rid of the top bar and the interstitials between posts.
  • The left margin is too large (the right margin looks fine)
  • The left margin becomes even bigger at higher zoom levels (125%, 150% and 175%) for some reason (take a look at the video). Going up to 200%
  • The left margin becomes enormous and cannot be minimized in chrome at 100% zoom (also in the video)

Wait a second, how did you get your theme to look like that? My desktop view wastes WAY much more space in the left/right margins. Basically, the right and left margins occupy 2/3 of my screen

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The new design reminds me of the annoying overbearing Web 2.0 designs from a decade ago. Too much text and info, it's overloading. And the fact everything takes so many extra clicks is rather dumb. Why does the "Quick Jump" take 2 clicks?... It should just be straight links like before.

Oct 28, 2017
Three horizontal lines on the top right.
The right answer was the (very hidden) "Toggle width" button on the bottom left. Not sure what you meant with the "three horizontal lines on the top right" (if you mean the menu button, that's on the top left, as shown in your screenshot, and showing it doesn't occupy 2/3 of the screen) but thanks anyway!

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, this new design makes it a lot more cumbersome to navigate from one forum to another. I hate having to scroll back up to go back to the main forum. One feature the old version had that I thought was incredibly nice was having hyperlinks to other forums on both headers and footers, since that made it easy to reach the end of a thread and then find something else to read.

I also think the new design for posts makes everything looks more cramped, even though technically it’s arounf the same. I guess there’s just too much empty space where avatars are located now. I would rather turn them off entirely to keep that nag away.

I would also would like for alerts to be a big bigger. I actually was lost for a while trying to find them, but that’s just a predilection of mine.

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of new Reddit, and how everyone still uses old Reddit.

Its just too cluttered. You have sh*t on the right side of my page, above, below..........It is just a mess.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to be able to hide avatars and images like before. And if it gets implemented, please make sure the avatars are hidden everywhere. I can't browse the site at work like I used to and this really sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Can, can I just have an option to go back to the old style, it was so much more effective and clean.
As a mainly mobile user, I grew to really like the top/bottom quick jump buttons in the bottom right. Why were they removed?
Yeah, this is brutal even when it actually works and loads properly. The mobile version especially; upgraded to be less user friendly? Would love an option to not have to use this version.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to find a script to hide avatars and images if there's no option forthcoming. If that's a planned feature please let me know.

My main personal gripe: Is there any way to get unread watched threads back? This was the core way I used the forum, and it was so great. Even once classic Era hid the mode, I kept the URL bookmarked. Now I can't find ANY way to see only unread threads. 80% of the time, I don't want to see a giant list of random threads with nothing new in them.

Oct 28, 2017
I really like the "Latest Threads" and "Trending" features -- I feel like I can be way more involved with conversations that I'm interested in nowadays, instead of discovering a thread that's pretty much already dead and deciding not to post.

Oct 25, 2017
I may have missed this being mentioned already, but: is there a way to toggle the search bar that’s now constantly at the top to search by date by default?

Searching results by relevance just isn’t useful, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to change the sorting on the results page. So to find anything I want I have to needlessly search something through that, then tap to go back to the search form and toggle to searching by date before doing my actual search. Even it just being a link to the actual form would be more useful than what it is right now.

EDIT: I just realized there’s that gear for settings on it, and... nope, can’t toggle the sorting there. Having to do that every time would be tedious but less of a problem than the current state, so that’s extra frustrating. At least there’s a link to the advanced search but I still have to do: tap icon, tap gear, tap advanced, toggle to date, type search input, go, instead of just tapping the icon and the input and being good...

Oct 25, 2017
On mobile I miss the links on the bottom to get to me different forums. Now I have to reach all the way to the top of the screen. I used to be able to one hand mobile browse this site so easily. I had stopped using Chrome mobile browser too when all the buttons were on top.

Oct 25, 2017
The Quick Jump drop down menu is classic over design and a example adding unnecessary clicks.

Jumping between gaming and Etcera is now a complete hassle on mobile since the thing has a mind of its own. And on Destop at least I can have 2 bookmarks handy but its not ideal and much slower then just using a link.

Is it too much to ask to have the 4 main links at the top and bottom of the page at all times?

Gaming. Gaming Hangouts. EtcEra. EtcEra Hangouts

It works so well. The drop down menu is just more awkward in every way

Oct 27, 2017
Can the quoted messages have a different shade of color? It looks too similar to the regular messages, which makes things confusing.

Other than that I like the new design. It is slowly growing on me.